ADVERTISEMENT

18 former NBA players were arrested today...

Tony Allen - I think Okie St (could be getting him confused w/someone else)
Big Baby - LSU (everyone knows that)
Darius Miles - lol at the idea of him in college
Tellfair - see above
Will Bynum - I feel like it was Depaul or somewhere in the MW, I know he was an inner city Chicago guy
Shannon Brown - MSU
Alan Anderson - MSU
Ruben Patterson - Cincy? Feel like he was on the KMart teams or something
Melvin Ely - Some odd WAC school like Houston, UNLV, Fresno St., SDSU

If you asked about recent college or NBA players, I'd have no idea because I have a life now.
Bynum played for Memphis . . . with his twin brother.

Reactions: Sope Creek
The current NBA has a robust program supporting young players as they begin their careers. I'm sure there is a percentage of players who fail to follow the advice or participate in the programs, but the majority do pretty well. Some of us remember Mark West who had a 17-year career in the NBA. He also graduated with a degree in Business Administration with a focus on financial management. Received his stockbroker's license while he was still playing. I heard Mark speak a few years back about the programs both the NBA and the Phoenix Suns (where he was an assistant gm) created to assist players with financial management. The programs were impressive and very much needed when the vast majority of these players come from very humble backgrounds and all of sudden are receiving large paychecks.

I also know someone who was an All-American linebacker for Penn State - a four-year starter. He played 10 years in the NFL and retired after winning a Super Bowl with the Giants. He was offered a contract from the Bills but turned it down to retire in Arizona pretty much injury free. When I first met him, I asked him what he did for a living. He replied that he was retired. I asked how do you retire at such an early age and he held up his hand to show me his Super Bowl ring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT