ADVERTISEMENT

18 former NBA players were arrested today...

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
for allegedly scamming the NBA Health and Welfare Benefit plan.

Not too much else is known right now, but here is the list of the former players (looks like there might be wives/family members in that list too):

Terrence Williams
Alan Anderson
Anthony Allen
Desiree Allen
Shannon Brown
William Bynum
Ronald Glen "Big Baby" Davis
Christopher Douglas-Roberts
Melvin Ely
Jamario Moon
Darius Miles
Milton Palacio
Ruben Patterson
Eddie Robinson
Gregory Smith
Sebastian Telfair
Charles Watson Jr.
Antoine Wright
Anthony Wroten

Federal case which is not good for them. It’s takes a special kind of dumb to be caught up in something like this.
I clicked through in the link in the story I linked above and it looks like they filed claims on white sheets of paper with grammatical errors. It wasn't like they had to bring out the financial forensic investigators to break the case here. My guess is that these guys are in a lot of trouble.

Not too much else is known right now, but here is the list of the former players (looks like there might be wives/family members in that list too):

Terrence Williams
Alan Anderson
Anthony Allen
Desiree Allen
Shannon Brown
William Bynum
Melvin Ely
Jamario Moon
Darius Miles
Milton Palacio
Ruben Patterson
Eddie Robinson
Gregory Smith
Sebastian Telfair
Charles Watson Jr.
Antoine Wright
Anthony Wroten

LOL. Louisville is trash.

Reactions: stollcpa
CJ watson played for the pacers for a few years. Shannon Brown played at Michigan St in college.

Terrence Williams
Alan Anderson
Anthony Allen
Desiree Allen
Shannon Brown
William Bynum
Melvin Ely
Jamario Moon
Darius Miles
Milton Palacio
Ruben Patterson
Eddie Robinson
Gregory Smith
Sebastian Telfair
Charles Watson Jr.
Antoine Wright
Anthony Wroten
What do you expect... they are so underpaid. :)

Seriously, I have never heard of any of them.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I clicked through in the link in the story I linked above and it looks like they filed claims on white sheets of paper with grammatical errors. It wasn't like they had to bring out the financial forensic investigators to break the case here. My guess is that these guys are in a lot of trouble.
“Tony Allen, Tony Wroten and Geln Davis all reported that they had root canals on the same teeth on the same day, Strauss said.”

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Same dentist?
True story - A couple of years ago my dentist recommended I have my one remaining wisdom tooth extracted. Was going to refer me to an oral surgeon.

Me: I'm supposed to have a colonoscopy, can't you just stop by and yank it out at the same time?

Dentist: Do you want me to use the same instruments too?

Me: Only if you go first.

True story - A couple of years ago my dentist recommended I have my one remaining wisdom tooth extracted. Was going to refer me to an oral surgeon.

Me: I'm supposed to have a colonoscopy, can't you just stop by and yank it out at the same time?

Hahahahahaha

CJ watson played for the pacers for a few years. Shannon Brown played at Michigan St in college.
Alan Anderson played at Michigan State too. Sebastian Telfair was a pretty big name out of high school and Glen 'Big Baby' Davis was on some pretty good Celtics teams.

underpaid

It's quite impressive that these losers had to commit fraud, likely from blowing through their millions of dollars in compensation. Here are their career earnings:

Tony Allen made $40 million in salary
Glen Davis made $34 million
Darius Miles - $62 million
Ruben Patterson - $36 million
Eddie Robinson - $28 million
Sebastian Telfair - $19.5 million
Will Bynum - $17 million
Shannon Brown - $14.7 million
Melvin Ely - $13.7 million

It's quite impressive that these losers had to commit fraud, likely from blowing through their millions of dollars in compensation. Here are their career earnings:

Will Bynum - $17 million
I remember Tony Allen, Big Baby Davis, Shannon Brown, Darius Miles, and Ruben Patterson - but only because Ruben played for UC here in Cincy. I could not tell you what NBA team any of them played for. Then again, I'd have a hard time naming more than 10 current NBA players and their teams.

Will Bynum - $17 million
After taxes and paying their agents and other assorted leeches, they'd be lucky to have half that. Hard to make ends meet.

After taxes and paying their agents and other assorted leeches, they'd be lucky to have half that. Hard to make ends meet.
I'm guessing most of these guys were drafted without degrees. At some point pro sports is gonna reap what it sows.

I'm guessing most of these guys were drafted without degrees. At some point pro sports is gonna reap what it sows.
At some point? When might that be? The number of players in the NBA with college degrees is almost certainly higher than it was 20-30 years ago. In 2009, about 21% of NBA players had college degrees, and 10% of players were attending classes in the off-season trying to complete their degrees. I would expect current numbers to be similar. There is also a lot more educational support within the NBA itself.

At some point? When might that be? The number of players in the NBA with college degrees is almost certainly higher than it was 20-30 years ago. In 2009, about 21% of NBA players had college degrees, and 10% of players were attending classes in the off-season trying to complete their degrees. I would expect current numbers to be similar. There is also a lot more educational support within the NBA itself.
The average age of NBA draftees has fallen from 21 to 19 since the 90s. The league is churning through younger guys. Even if the graduation rate is still 20% that means a lot of young guys are gonna be suddenly without multi-million dollar incomes with little to fall back on.

Reactions: UncleMark

Will Bynum - $17 million
I was a friend of one of the baby mommas of one of the more highly compensated player on this list. He almost never paid. And he had TV/Hollywood dollars coming his way post NBA. His child was/is one of the sweetest children you can imagine ….did a “Flawless“ (one of Beys songs) reprise for the ”family“ at age 5 ish. You don’t be born round and life’s frictions make you square.

Okay, without looking it up, list the college each guy on the list attended.

Tony Allen - I think Okie St (could be getting him confused w/someone else)
Big Baby - LSU (everyone knows that)
Darius Miles - lol at the idea of him in college
Tellfair - see above
Will Bynum - I feel like it was Depaul or somewhere in the MW, I know he was an inner city Chicago guy
Shannon Brown - MSU
Alan Anderson - MSU
Ruben Patterson - Cincy? Feel like he was on the KMart teams or something
Melvin Ely - Some odd WAC school like Houston, UNLV, Fresno St., SDSU

If you asked about recent college or NBA players, I'd have no idea because I have a life now.

Reactions: larsIU
I’ve heard of and/or watched every one of those names. And I’m not really that much of a fan.

200.gif

Reactions: larsIU
I remember Tony Allen, Big Baby Davis, Shannon Brown, Darius Miles, and Ruben Patterson - but only because Ruben played for UC here in Cincy. I could not tell you what NBA team any of them played for. Then again, I'd have a hard time naming more than 10 current NBA players and their teams.

I remember a fair amount of them b/c a bunch are from Chicago, were at B1G schools and I just watched a shit ton of CBB back in the day. Used to follow recruiting and all of that nonsense too.

Then I realized how pathetic that was and found some real hobbies. Like arguing with the clowns on this board ;)

DANC could use the same local anesthetic.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Will Bynum - $17 million

quote-people-complain-that-pro-athletes-make-a-lot-of-money-but-what-they-don-t-understand-patrick-ewing-69-13-93.jpg

From Sports Illustrated:

Ex-NBA Players Sentenced to Prison After Multimillion Dollar Fraud Scheme

Former NBA players Alan Anderson and Keyon Dooling have received prison sentences for their respective roles in a multimillion dollar healthcare fraud scheme, according to a release from the U.S. Department of Justice.

Per the release, Dooling received a two-and-a-half year prison sentence on Friday, while Anderson was handed a two year sentence on Feb. 10 after they were found guilty for their roles in a scheme to defraud the NBA Players’ Health and Welfare Benefit Plan.

In addition to their respective prison sentences, both players were also ordered to forfeit money and pay restitution as well. Dooling was ordered to forfeit $449,250.50 and pay restitution of $547,495, while Anderson was ordered to forfeit $121,000 and also pay restitution of $121,000.

“These former players recruited others to take part in this widespread fraud scheme and went to great lengths to keep the scheme running smoothly, facilitating hundreds of thousands of dollars of fraudulent claims,” U.S. attorney Damian Williams said in the release. “This Office will continue to aggressively prosecute those engaged in health care fraud schemes, no matter what their profession. Those considering submitting false claims to health care plans should recognize that they will be subject to serious penalties.”
Anderson was one of 18 former players arrested and charged in an October 2021 case that involved around $4 million in fraudulent claims to the league’s healthcare plan. Dooling was arrested and charged in April of ’22 as part of the case while working as an assistant coach in the Jazz organization.
Dooling received around $363,000 in fraudulent reimbursements and was also involved in facilitating additional claims for other individuals totaling $194,295. Anderson received $121,000 in reimbursements and helped facilitate $710,000 worth of claims.

Anderson had two separate stints in the NBA from 2005-’07 and again from ’11-’17. He played for Charlotte, Toronto, Brooklyn, Washington and the Clippers. Across 330 NBA games, Anderson averaged 7.3 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.

As for Dooling, he spent 13 seasons in the NBA before retiring after the 2012 season. He played for the Clippers, Magic, Nets, Bucks, Heat, Celtics and Grizzlies. In 728 games, he averaged 7.0 points and 2.2 assists per game.

I want a Netflix documentary on this whole thing. The most fascinating part will be documenting how each player burned through their millions of dollars in NBA salary that led to this.

Alan Anderson played at Michigan State too. Sebastian Telfair was a pretty big name out of high school and Glen 'Big Baby' Davis was on some pretty good Celtics teams.
Greg Smith played at Western Kentucky with Clem Haskins (trouble) and his brother Dwight Smith who was 3rd round Lakers pick before dying in an accident on mother's day heading back to WKU. Greg played about 7 years or so all over the league.

I want a Netflix documentary on this whole thing. The most fascinating part will be documenting how each player burned through their millions of dollars in NBA salary that led to this.
Would you do two years in prison for 25 years OF THAT LIFE!!!!

Greg Smith played at Western Kentucky with Clem Haskins (trouble) and his brother Dwight Smith who was 3rd round Lakers pick before dying in an accident on mother's day heading back to WKU. Greg played about 7 years or so all over the league.
IF its the same Greg Smith. I knew him at WKU over 50 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT