ADVERTISEMENT

15 mins. ago 1070 the Fan

Glass’ incompetence just cost Indiana $250,000 after the school decided to pull out of next year’s 2K Sports Classic in New York. Now he’s costing the taxpayers even more money by turning down an NIT home game and the revenue that comes with it.

It’s just one thing after another with Glass, and it’s time for him to go. Do I need to remind you that Glass recklessly gave Kevin Wilson a 6-year contract extension less than a year before he had to get rid of him? Utterly indefensible.

Glass had a good run in his early years as AD, but the job has clearly become too much for him. Indiana needs fresh leadership with more responsible decision making. I don’t know about you, but I’m not happy with my tax dollars going to pay for Glass’ many mistakes.

Nice smear job. Classless and full of inaccuracies, but you smear well.

Not that it matter, but I am to. Wife is going to be pissed. We just spent hours painting our sons bedroom with the candy stripes. We will have to re paint!

Why not teach your son that life has ups and downs, but be true to your school and your loyalties. Instead, you would be teaching him that you didn't get your way, have a tantrum and repaint? Why not be positive about it? Was your son happy with last year's Big Ten title, were you? Or did you complain about it to your son and say that isn't good enough!!!

Take a breath . . . your attempt to smear Glass with this argument is, well, at least as irresponsible as what you claim Glass to be.

(1) How does pulling out of the 2K Sports Classic cost IU any money? Has IU already paid that amount to the Classic and won't get any of it back? Is that a guaranteed amount of revenue for participation? What is the net profit from the 2K Sports Classic, if the $250,000 is revenue? How do you know that IU doesn't have an opportunity for a net profit higher than that through another opportunity?

(2) Regarding the NIT game, are you sure that it's costing IU money not to host the game against GA Tech? Wouldn't the revenues have to exceed the costs of putting on the game? Are you sure that that would be the case under the current circumstances? I don't think you can be sure about that . . . .

(3) The Wilson extension was a good business decision that included the right to terminate Wilson for cause . . . and Glass leveraged that provision effectively to correct what Glass believes was a cause for termination. The only argument you could possibly be making here is that based on what Glass knew at the time of the extension Glass made a reckless decision to agree to the extension . . . and you have no factual basis for that, I can assure you.

And finally, is IU's athletic department supposed to be governed by dollars and cents above all other considerations?

I'm fairly certain I read that IU would have to pay a penalty of $250,000 for pulling out after a certain date. Now whether IU is in a position to recoup that with whatever alternative they're going for, I don't know. But the $250K is out of pocket.

If this is indeed true then at least I’ll have confirmation from the administration that their definition of being elite and mine are completely opposite. I used to adjust my schedule around IU basketball. Don't really have to do that anymore. Thankfully the Colts attempted to change things this year or else I wouldn't have any team to follow anymore.

Pagano still there, right?

Take a breath . . . your attempt to smear Glass with this argument is, well, at least as irresponsible as what you claim Glass to be.

(1) How does pulling out of the 2K Sports Classic cost IU any money? Has IU already paid that amount to the Classic and won't get any of it back? Is that a guaranteed amount of revenue for participation? What is the net profit from the 2K Sports Classic, if the $250,000 is revenue? How do you know that IU doesn't have an opportunity for a net profit higher than that through another opportunity?

(2) Regarding the NIT game, are you sure that it's costing IU money not to host the game against GA Tech? Wouldn't the revenues have to exceed the costs of putting on the game? Are you sure that that would be the case under the current circumstances? I don't think you can be sure about that . . . .

(3) The Wilson extension was a good business decision that included the right to terminate Wilson for cause . . . and Glass leveraged that provision effectively to correct what Glass believes was a cause for termination. The only argument you could possibly be making here is that based on what Glass knew at the time of the extension Glass made a reckless decision to agree to the extension . . . and you have no factual basis for that, I can assure you.

And finally, is IU's athletic department supposed to be governed by dollars and cents above all other considerations?
I followed this with little objection until I got to the last sentence....It appears to be governing in exactly that manner.

Giving people tips on how to properly govern their own families. Jesus just ban this prick already

Sorry you didn't like it, but feels to me this is a perfect opportunity to teach a lesson to a kid about life has ups and downs, and we can't always get what we want. When we don't, we repaint the room? Well, OK then.

(1) How does pulling out of the 2K Sports Classic cost IU any money? Has IU already paid that amount to the Classic and won't get any of it back?
IIUC, that's the penalty for breaking the contract. Easily made up by scheduling one or two home games in its place.
(2) Regarding the NIT game, are you sure that it's costing IU money not to host the game against GA Tech? Wouldn't the revenues have to exceed the costs of putting on the game?
The revenues and costs are peanuts in the big picture. A case could be made that it hurts the local businesses that will lose out on the sales associated with a home basketball game (gas, food, lodging, etc.) But in that regard, nothing will top the football game that we "sold" to DC a couple years ago.
3) The Wilson extension was a good business decision that included the right to terminate Wilson for cause . . . and Glass leveraged that provision effectively to correct what Glass believes was a cause for termination.
If what I've heard is correct, Wilson got himself fired and the earlier allegations of player abuse were used as a cover story for the real reason.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Uhmm, uhmm, yeah. More than a few posters have been telling you that very thing.

Cheer for the name on the front, not who the coach is. More than a few posters have been telling you and others that very thing. Remember how excited you were last year beating Kentucky (don't deny it), winning the Big Ten title (don't deny it). That's what I'm talking about. It's about what is on front of the jersey.

Why not teach your son that life has ups and downs, but be true to your school and your loyalties. Instead, you would be teaching him that you didn't get your way, have a tantrum and repaint? Why not be positive about it? Was your son happy with last year's Big Ten title, were you? Or did you complain about it to your son and say that isn't good enough!!!
the gift that was last year's very favorable conference schedule....leading to a very misleading "championship" is truly the gift that keeps on giving.....and giving....and giving......its almost up there with the Marquette Final Four.....almost.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Cheer for the name on the front, not who the coach is. More than a few posters have been telling you and others that very thing. Remember how excited you were last year beating Kentucky (don't deny it), winning the Big Ten title (don't deny it). That's what I'm talking about. It's about what is on front of the jersey.

I do all that.

I still am ready to move on from Crean as the coach of IUMBB.

Happy yes, excited no.

I will be excited when IU stops turning the ball over, has some semblance of a half court offense, stops making momentum killing substitutions, and in general plays fundamentally sound basketball.

I cheer for IU no matter who the coach is. I just want the current coach gone because the above "exciting" items ain't happening with Crean.

Reactions: indiana ed

Do you have any idea how toxic it will be for Crean next year? IU just turned down a home game to protect Crean....

Take the hate from the fans this year and multiply it times 10.....for the fans that show up.

You think this is bad? Talk to Mike Davis....

Happy yes, excited no.

I will be excited when IU stops turning the ball over, has some semblance of a half court offense, stops making momentum killing substitutions, and in general plays fundamentally sound basketball.

I cheer for IU no matter who the coach is. I just want the current coach gone because the above "exciting" items ain't happening with Crean.
what could the assistant coaches....Buckley, Martin, etc...possibly be thinking?

the gift that was last year's very favorable conference schedule....leading to a very misleading "championship" is truly the gift that keeps on giving.....and giving....and giving......its almost up there with the Marquette Final Four.....almost.

Beating Kentucky last year in the NCAAs was part of our gift championship?

You know, those kids worked their butts off for that title, but some people are so damn shallow and haters they want to diminish the accomplishments of those IU kids. Terrible.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Do you have any idea how toxic it will be for Crean next year? IU just turned down a home game to protect Crean....

Take the hate from the fans this year and multiply it times 10.....for the fans that show up.

Considering how classy many of our fans have been, cheering at his kid's high school game. It couldn't get much worse.

Oh stop the melodramatic statements. Get behind the team. This country has become one of tantrums and riots when they don't get their way. Don't like it, then stop watching. Burn your stuff. Tear up your diploma. It is not going to lead to economic ruin.

People can threaten to quit their tickets, and then when they get their guy to replace Crean, they won't have season tickets to go to. You have to love the university more than any single individual, and that is lost on way too many here.

When does your self-help book come out?

Sounds like you have a problem with people who don't see things your way, so be sure to actually read your book after you write it, Dr. Phil.

this is just what JMV said so who knows if it is true or not.
There is a certain amount of objective evidence we can examine
1) Glass did not extend Crean last year after he won the B1G
2) Crean seems to still be recruiting without actually handing out scholarship offers - the latest one I could find is in January.

fuel to the fire? the fans being told, true or not....that Crean turned down an offer from Mizzou....

You know, those kids worked their butts off for that title, but some people are so damn shallow and haters they want to diminish the accomplishments of those IU kids. Terrible.
there is absolutely no doubt that the conference schedule was abnormally weak....just as the preseason schedule was last year and this.....did they win? Of course they did....we will be reminded of that for as long as you post here...but the fact remains....the flame out in the conference tourney is a clue.

Considering how classy many of our fans have been, cheering at his kid's high school game. It couldn't get much worse.

Now I know you aren't an IU fan. Davis basically had a nervous break down...

Why in the hell does Crean want to put everyone through this?

Why force this? IU WILL NEVER SUPPORT CREAN AGAIN. EVER.

It's over. The only thing another year will do is lower Crean's value in the open market.

Just wait for the boos and the empty seats.....it will be like nothing you have ever seen.

IU just turned down a home game on ESPN to go to Atlanta to play Georgia Tech.....think about that. Glass knew damn well what was going to happen.

Last edited:
I know right! We are doing fatheads tomorrow night. I'm so sad it has become this difficult to try and teach my kids the tradition.

I told my wife about your room and she would like to see a pic when you guys are done. Not sure if you can message me or something but it would be great to see it.

I taught my son Tom Crean sucks.

I hate to say this but I almost wish GT hangs a 20 point humiliation on Crean just to force the issue with Glass.

I doubt it would matter. But there's nothing to be gained by winning. Let's just end it already.

Obviously it ought to be part of every coaching contract - if you don't win a national championship in X number of years, this contract will be terminated

I doubt it would matter. But there's nothing to be gained by winning. Let's just end it already.

Think it through a little, however.

I find it next to impossible to root against IU in anything. But a victory in Atlanta and a potential return to Assembly Hall has all kinds of intriguing possibilities. It could strengthen the heat and speed the ultimate result.

I find it next to impossible to root against IU in anything. But a victory in Atlanta and a potential return to Assembly Hall has all kinds of intriguing possibilities. It could strengthen the heat and speed the ultimate result.

That Hickory dude on TOS was just saying that it's unlikely IU would actually host a game even in a later round. He intimated at internal unrest and went so far as to speculate that everyone might not be making the trip to Atlanta. Don't know if he's full of it or not.

He also suggested that Crean's soft landing options were drying up and Fred's backed into a corner and would probably have to keep him. Not sure why.

But think NC State. Sounds like a last hope.

there are rumblings about locker room problems....maybe people not making the trip? Can't verify any of it...but apparently, the team isn't too excited about going on this trek.....yes I saw it on another public site.....but it would not be a surprise.

We all love IU and want IU to be a better basketball program. Crean is paid like a top 10 coach and in his tenure IU has been very average. He also has the largest recruiting budget in the BIG. Bottom line is he is waaaaay to inconsistent and has one really good year in 9 years here and that was a year he had 2 top 5 picks and we still only got to sweet 16. Last year the BIG was down and we had a very easy schedule

That Hickory dude on TOS was just saying that it's unlikely IU would actually host a game even in a later round. He intimated at internal unrest and went so far as to speculate that everyone might not be making the trip to Atlanta. Don't know if he's full of it or not.

He also suggested that Crean's soft landing options were drying up and Fred's backed into a corner and would probably have to keep him. Not sure why.

saw that too.....just what in the hell would that look like? Cancelling a home game after accepting the bid? Forfeiting a tournament game? Now we are seeing some signs of real incompetence....because it affects other teams...not just IU.

If what you and Harpo have added here, wrt the unrest, and if something does happen,

.. then there can't be any hesitation that quick and decisive action has to be taken. No organization, so riddled with dysfunction, can survive, nor should it.

I told my wife about your room and she would like to see a pic when you guys are done. Not sure if you can message me or something but it would be great to see it.
Not sure how to post on here? Would gladly send you a pic if I knew how. As long as Jones is ok with it!

If what you and Harpo have added here, wrt the unrest, and if something does happen,

.. then there can't be any hesitation that quick and decisive action has to be taken. No organization, so riddled with dysfunction, can survive, nor should it.

Well, to be fair I think our info came from the same place, and was just more forum rumors. I don't want anyone to think I've got some sort of inside info. I don't.

Go to any site of a team that hates IU and they are begging us to give Crean a lifetime contract. That tells you all you need to know.

I nominate you for father of the year.
Me too. He asks every morning if we have a new coach I guess I talk too much around him. Oh, and for all of you questioning my parenting skills, I never sweat around him and when he was the last to get cut from travel baseball last year I explained life is tough.

I hate to say this but I almost wish GT hangs a 20 point humiliation on Crean just to force the issue with Glass.

I don't "almost" wish that at all......I'm begging for it.

Of course, Crean will then cry about the "hostile" environment............

Crean to Cornell?

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT