ADVERTISEMENT

10 games left...

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I’m struggling to find more than a couple games I’d feel any confidence in winning. I know we’ll beat a team or two that surprises us. But we’ll also lose winnable games too. So realistically, we’re looking at 6-7 conference wins, maybe.

If that were to happen...Archie would have missed 3 out of 4 tournaments. Technically 3 out of 3, but I’ll give him last year. They were in.

It’d also mean he had losing conference records in 3 out of 4 seasons.

How again does Dolson not fire him?

I’m struggling to find more than a couple games I’d feel any confidence in winning. I know we’ll beat a team or two that surprises us. But we’ll also lose winnable games too. So realistically, we’re looking at 6-7 conference wins, maybe.

If that were to happen...Archie would have missed 3 out of 4 tournaments. Technically 3 out of 3, but I’ll give him last year. They were in.

If Archie comes back after that, then just forget about ever being relevant in basketball ever again.

Because IU isn’t going to shell out $13 million for a coach to go away and dish out another ~$25 million to another up and comer during a pandemic where athletic department budgets have been shrunk in half.

If Archie comes back after that, then just forget about ever being relevant in basketball ever again.

At some point they’ll get a good one. At worst, we’re a power 5 team. At best, still a historic program, in one of the top conferences, with tons of resources behind us. Either way, or anywhere in between, well attract tons of good coaches when the next one is chosen. Will they choose a good one finally is the question.

Because IU isn’t going to shell out $13 million for a coach to go away and dish out another ~$25 million to another up and comer during a pandemic where athletic department budgets have been shrunk in half.

The buyout will be prorated. Archie would land somewhere decent.

And the only way we’d have to shell out 25 million would be for a really proven, really good coach. I’d say that’s money well spent.

Archies 4 year performance likely wouldn’t be good enough for nearly any power 5 program, let alone IU.

At some point they’ll get a good one. At worst, we’re a power 5 team. At best, still a historic program, in one of the top conferences, with tons of resources behind us. Either way, or anywhere in between, well attract tons of good coaches when the next one is chosen. Will they choose a good one finally is the question.

If the job were to open tomorrow, answer these two questions:

1) Which “good” (your words) coach is going to Bloomington?

2) At what cost and where are the resources coming from to get this “good” coach to Bloomington assuming you find a suitor?

The buyout will be prorated. Archie would land somewhere decent.

And the only way we’d have to shell out 25 million would be for a really proven, really good coach. I’d say that’s money well spent.

Archies 4 year performance likely wouldn’t be good enough for nearly any power 5 program, let alone IU.

How many job openings do you think will be open after this season?

The pandemic surely didn't slow down the coaching carousel in CFB.

It was business as usual.

The biggest college football programs generate about 4-5x the revenue of the biggest basketball programs. Apples to oranges.

If the job were to open tomorrow, answer these two questions:

1) Which “good” (your words) coach is going to Bloomington?

2) At what cost and where are the resources coming from to get this “good” coach to Bloomington assuming you find a suitor?

No clue. I’m just not big on allowing mediocrity. I’m not talking about a convenient layoff. He deserves to be fired. And it’s highly inconvenient that it’s necessary. But how is it not necessary right now?

But here’s an attempt at your questions. Even though I think they’re irrelevant.

1. Nate Oats? Scott Drew maybe? Shaka Smart? Some NBA/IU guy? Dane Fife? John Beilein?

2. Market value for the head coaching position at IU...plus whatever the prorated buyout is for Archie after he’s hired somewhere else. It’s only a couple million more per year, tops, than what we’d pay Archie anyways.

Reactions: SoccerSammy
The biggest college football programs generate about 4-5x the revenue of the biggest basketball programs. Apples to oranges.

How? There were no fans for football either. Apples to apples I’d say.

To answer your question on how many openings...the amount of power 5 schools that have had losing conference records the last 3-4 seasons. And have missed the last 3 NCAA tourneys that have been played. Minus one evidently.

No clue. I’m just not big on allowing mediocrity. I’m not talking about a convenient layoff. He deserves to be fired. And it’s highly inconvenient that it’s necessary. But how is it not necessary right now?

But here’s an attempt at your questions. Even though I think they’re irrelevant.

1. Nate Oats? Scott Drew maybe? Shaka Smart? Some NBA/IU guy? Dane Fife? John Beilein?

2. Market value for the head coaching position at IU...plus whatever the prorated buyout is for Archie after he’s hired somewhere else. It’s only a couple million more per year, tops, than what we’d pay Archie anyways.

You get Nate Oats or Scott Drew, it’s probably worth it. Don’t think the chances of getting either are very high. Baylor may very well win the national title this year. Has a coach with 20 year tenure ever left after winning a national title? Shaka’s not leaving Texas and Dane Fife will more than likely be MSU’s next coach within the next 5 years. Is firing Archie and hiring someone like Alford or Randy Whitman really an upgrade?

As far as market value, you said IU needed to hire a good coach in your posts above. Of your list, I’d only characterize Scott Drew and John Beilein as good, let alone proven. Nate Oats is certainly the flavor of the month right now, but his 16-15 record last year shows he’s nowhere near proven. IU will pay market value for whoever they hire, that we agree on. IU isn’t going to overpay for a good and/or proven coach. At least not during a pandemic.

Steve Alford is an upgrade. I’m not an Alford stan and I’m not here to say he’s leading us to the promise land. But he did make 3 sweet 16s in his first 4 years at UCLA. The man can coach Offense.

Steve Alford is an upgrade. I’m not an Alford stan and I’m not here to say he’s leading us to the promise land. But he did make 3 sweet 16s in his first 4 years at UCLA. The man can coach Offense.

He also chronically underachieved given the exorbitant amount of talent he had. On top of being a bad coach, he’s a total dick bag. Firing one average coach to hire another average coach doesn’t solve anything.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
At this point starting to agree, Loved the player but not the coach, but watching this crap on offense, hire a D coordinator . He could at least show films of himself and show how to play balls out all the time on offense and no one on this team could say a thing. Never saw Archie play but he sure as hell wasnt a 2 time first team AA.

He also chronically underachieved given the exorbitant amount of talent he had. On top of being a bad coach, he’s a total dick bag. Firing one average coach to hire another average coach doesn’t solve anything.

How is he a “Dick Bag.” Ive seen Archie act more like a dick than Steve has.

Reactions: iulb
Not sure on Arch but agree, I think most of the hate is that incident at Iowa with Pierre Pierce. He isnt a great coach but at least has an offense. If we want to have an ex RMK player Mike Lewis intriuges me, Granted always been a assistant but has some fire. I dont think that is answer though. The guy at Oregon ?

Not even taking into consideration the Pierre Pierce incident at Iowa, he just a classless jerk that has burned bridges everywhere he’s gone.

Not even taking into consideration the Pierre Pierce incident at Iowa, he just a classless jerk that has burned bridges everywhere he’s gone.
Did he piss in your Cheerios? I mean in the world of coaching that is a huge stretch .

Did he piss in your Cheerios? I mean in the world of coaching that is a huge stretch .

Steve Alford is one of my favorite Indiana University basketball players of all time. I’ve seen 20+ years of Steve Alford on the sidelines to understand he doesn’t belong anywhere near Bloomington unless he’s with an opposing team or his 87 team is being honored. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a single Iowa or UCLA fan that has a nice thing to say about him.

Archie's shit offense needs talented one on one players (ahem talented individual guards) who can break down a defense using a simple pick and roll.

Lander, in his spurts, has shown what having a good pick and roll guard can do for his shit offense.

He better hope Lander can learn to play defense because our guards are not the kind of guards he needs offensively and he doesn't seem to be a coach that adjusts for his personnel by my untrained eye.

Archie's shit offense needs talented one on one players (ahem talented individual guards) who can break down a defense using a simple pick and roll.

Lander, in his spurts, has shown what having a good pick and roll guard can do for his shit offense.

He better hope Lander can learn to play defense because our guards are not the kind of guards he needs offensively and he doesn't seem to be a coach that adjusts for his personnel by my untrained eye.

I saw this in December. This team blows on offense unless lander is the PG. his shitty d is way over blown. All of our guards on d were shitty. They all got blown by. They all over helped and left a wide open shooters. Hell, Frazier missed the few easiest ones of the night when lander was out and we just totally blew the assignment.

You have to play lander if you wanna be elite. He should have worked through a lot of his mistakes by now, but we have been watching Rob suck for 2 and a half years and think he is somehow gonna change it.

and why the hell does every announcer say he is a calming figure/leader. Makes the team go. Good lord he sucks.

Covid is cover for many coaches..
He'll get another year..
But next year will be a win..Possibly win Big !
Or your gone year..

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Don’t have to shell out 13 million dollars. You guys really don’t have a clue how all this works.

Maybe not directly, but if you get someone like a Nate Oats or Shaka Smart, you’re also likely to have to pay a huge buyout to the school where they are currently working. It will be expensive to fire CAM and hire the next guy, don’t be mistaken.

I am preparing for another epic CAM league losing streak. Was it year one or two where we lost like 10 out of 11 games? That is likely what’s about to happen. We have lost two in a row and will not expect to win another game remaining and we will end thus season on a 12 game losing streak. Throw in the first game bounce from B1G tourney, if it even happens, and we will have lost 15 out of our last 16 games. That is record and epic bad and while we do have 10 games left, there is absolutely NOTHING to lead me to believe we will win any of them.

Reactions: Hoosierific
For the last effing time. They WILL NOT have to pay the whole buyout! The guy isn’t going to sit on the couch for 3 years.

For the last effing time. They WILL NOT have to pay the whole buyout! The guy isn’t going to sit on the couch for 3 years.

They may not have to pay his entire buyout, but very good chance they’re paying most of it. It’s going to cost IU every bit of $20-25 million in the initial year to fire Archie Miller and hire a proven winner.

And yesterday you claimed the payments would be stretched out over seven years, which was false. It’s a gamble on how much they’ll have to pay him. It’s a bigger gamble after this year than the next. Plus if IU hired someone still under contract with another university they have to pay HIS buyout too. It’s going to cost a huge amount no matter what and paying that much in a year they’ve lost money isn’t going to happen.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
It’s unclear how many games are left. Will we have any quick turnarounds?

Speaking of quick turnarounds, that’s what Iowa has. They played last night (a grind of a game), they play tomorrow then play us this weekend. Huge advantage (again) for us versus the Hawkeyes on a rest / preparation basis.

They may not have to pay his entire buyout, but very good chance they’re paying most of it. It’s going to cost IU every bit of $20-25 million in the initial year to fire Archie Miller and hire a proven winner.

No it’s not! You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. 🤡

And yesterday you claimed the payments would be stretched out over seven years, which was false. It’s a gamble on how much they’ll have to pay him. It’s a bigger gamble after this year than the next. Plus if IU hired someone still under contract with another university they have to pay HIS buyout too. It’s going to cost a huge amount no matter what and paying that much in a year they’ve lost money isn’t going to happen.

Because that’s how Creans contract was. You can defer payments that long. Look man, I know people that worked in that Administration. So yeah, I generally know some things. Dumping Archie isn’t as expensive as you think. You guys sound like Purdue fans grasping at straws.

Maybe not directly, but if you get someone like a Nate Oats or Shaka Smart, you’re also likely to have to pay a huge buyout to the school where they are currently working. It will be expensive to fire CAM and hire the next guy, don’t be mistaken.
I checked on Oats. His buyout isn't crazy...4M this year, 2M next year. If we find a donor to pay Miller's, I imagine that will be workable.

No it’s not! You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. 🤡

I do have a clue.

If IU fires Archie after the conclusion of the season, Miller is owed the remainder of his salary through the duration of his contract. You're looking at paying Archie ~$4mil (not to coach) next year and hiring a proven winner from another school could cost anywhere from $5-10 million depending on that coach's buyout, on top of paying his annually salary along with new staff. That'll run your tab up in a hurry.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I saw this in December. This team blows on offense unless lander is the PG. his shitty d is way over blown. All of our guards on d were shitty. They all got blown by. They all over helped and left a wide open shooters. Hell, Frazier missed the few easiest ones of the night when lander was out and we just totally blew the assignment.

You have to play lander if you wanna be elite. He should have worked through a lot of his mistakes by now, but we have been watching Rob suck for 2 and a half years and think he is somehow gonna change it.

and why the hell does every announcer say he is a calming figure/leader. Makes the team go. Good lord he sucks.

I'm with ya on playing Lander consistently more. He should be getting about 15-20 min a game consistently. But heres the thing with the D. It's not even that he's horrible per se, as he moves pretty well. He gets lost on some screens like typical freshmen do. But he's just so undersized this year, he literally gets brushed aside like a sack o taters.

As much as folks are down on Rob these days he still is super solid on D and usually good for some assists even if his jumper is missing. Arch has got to mix and match with those 2, play the hot hand and matchup advantage. Phin prob nothing more than a solid role player but cannot completely abandon him.

This team can still very well make the tourney despite all the lumps its taken

In the initial year? No chance of that.

In the initial year? No chance of that.

To hire a proven winner away from another school? Absolutely. It won't happen and in the scenario we fire Archie in a COVID year you're going to be hiring a replacement who had a similar track record than Archie and play the "lets hope game" once again.

To hire a proven winner away from another school? Absolutely. It won't happen and in the scenario we fire Archie in a COVID year you're going to be hiring a replacement who had a similar track record than Archie and play the "lets hope game" once again.
There wouldn’t be a $20M - $25M outlay in the year this gets done. Your numbers aren’t close to reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT