ADVERTISEMENT

1 Scholly to go

Nope. Nope. Nope. You know darned well we’ll have 2-3 injuries and be short somewhere. Banking a scholly is a thing of the past. Every year is a rebuild, so what’s the point?
I'm not saying we have to save it but I'd save any NIL collective money to roll into next year unless you somehow have a known upgrade somewhere. I doubt we're able to find that as the roster sits today.

It's a long shot, but, there is someone who could fill that last scholarship, and be productive, and contribute, IF he's willing to come off the bench. Dillon Mitchel, PF, ex-McDonalds AllAmerican. Spent two years at Texas, where he was a starter, after graduating from Monte Verde Academy. We have plenty of guards, and could use another wing. He never really produced all-American numbers at Texas, (10pts in 29mins last year), and never went Pro, so it looks like he could use some motivation, and expert guidance, to get to that next level. And, it's been proven, Coach Woodson, and his staff, can do that. I'm sure he wants to go somewhere where he'll be a starter, but, you never know. I wonder if CW, or anybody on the IU staff, has been in contact with him, at all. Could be a great last add. AND, he was not invited to the NBA Combine, so, it appears he needs more development.

Last edited:
Unless it a project big man who understands they will not play except for injury... there's no sense going further. We're currently three + deep in every spot .. even Lucy would be satisfied with that.
Give me Mount Tijan!!! I love a good Jobe on the end of the bench. Bigger the better. Throw him in there against PU when we are put 20 this year at the hall and watch the students go nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Someone could change their mind … having the flexibility to take advantage … seems as good a use as a 13th player now.

How much does the 13th player on the roster play … 0 minutes per game … flexibility for a season ending injury in the summer … could be more important.

If you’re banking on scholarship player #13 to be the savior in an emergency situation, you probably weren’t going to be any good to begin with.

Not having a 12th and 13th scholarship player last year wasn’t the issue. The issue was scholarship players 6-9 not being any good. Most teams play 7-9 guys regularly, in some cases 10. You don’t need 13 scholarship players, you need 3-4 bench guys who can step in when needed. I don’t think IU has that issue next year.

Someone could change their mind … having the flexibility to take advantage … seems as good a use as a 13th player now.

How much does the 13th player on the roster play … 0 minutes per game … flexibility for a season ending injury in the summer … could be more important.
I would support saving the last scholarship too, but it could be an opportunity to use it on a player reclassifying late or take a chance on a raw player and redshirting them to see if they can develop into a player. If it doesn't work, the player can go into the portal.

Hemenway was the last player I thought we might bring in. I have since heard that UE might be where he ends up. More playing time and I've heard there has been some family health concerns that makes him coming home a good idea. Btown isn't far away but UE is just down the expressway.

Reactions: edub72
If you’re banking on scholarship player #13 to be the savior in an emergency situation, you probably weren’t going to be any good to begin with.

Not having a 12th and 13th scholarship player last year wasn’t the issue. The issue was scholarship players 6-9 not being any good. Most teams play 7-9 guys regularly, in some cases 10. You don’t need 13 scholarship players, you need 3-4 bench guys who can step in when needed. I don’t think IU has that issue next year.
I hope you’re right. And actually think that’s likely. But if I’m Woodson and had my own keys to the bottomless vault, I’d hedge every bet there is. $4.2M annually is nothing to sneeze at.

I would think if we got another player he would be the 11th man. If he wasn’t the 11th man (better than leal and Cupps) then I agree no need to get another player. I for sure see a scenario where the 11th man gets some serious run. IU teams don’t stay healthy. Most don’t.

I would think if we got another player he would be the 11th man. If he wasn’t the 11th man (better than leal and Cupps) then I agree no need to get another player. I for sure see a scenario where the 11th man gets some serious run. IU teams don’t stay healthy. Most don’t.
Regardless of what # he is, I hope they give Leal some minutes early. I've been pretty critical of him during his time, but I thought he showed last year he could contribute and often was a steadying influence when he came in. I was all for giving him minutes and an opportunity versus piling Hemmenway on top of him.

Regardless of what # he is, I hope they give Leal some minutes early. I've been pretty critical of him during his time, but I thought he showed last year he could contribute and often was a steadying influence when he came in. I was all for giving him minutes and an opportunity versus piling Hemmenway on top of him.
Couldn’t disagree more. He played last year because we were awful. I’m not for pity minutes. Mop up minutes against bad teams, sure.

100% correct. And I’m still not sure why everyone thinks Newton is gonna be healthy and good enough to play big minutes. I’d think getting a guy to be #10 (maybe 9 early - until Tucker figures things out) wouldn’t be an impossible sell.

I would take the 300k it would take to bring in a 13th player and use it to purchase a suite for how many home games that would buy, and make it available to all the regulars on here, I'll buy the drinks, would be a lot of fun to sit and watch games with all the coaches, and overall geniuses on this board

• Haha
Always be looking for someone that can improve your roster and main rotation. But don't fill the spot, at this point, just to fill it.

Couldn’t disagree more. He played last year because we were awful. I’m not for pity minutes. Mop up minutes against bad teams, sure.
Who said anything about pity minutes? He was very solid when he came in and certainly was a factor in us winning a few games to end the year; conference games. Leadership is a big deal, so maybe Galloway sort of "captains" the first teamers and Leal possibly the second. I'm saying try and get him minutes and see if he produces and helps those around him play better. Reminds me of the type of player/role Hillman filled. Watch the interview Coyle did with Decourcy this week and how much he talks about experience/leadership being a key. It's certainly one of the things that elevates UConn and was for Nova too. Heck, we couldn't land Hemmenway, and I think Leal is already as good an option as he was, so it's going to be very hard to even make use of that lost spot. At this point, I think the only way I'd fill it is if you could get a developmental post player.

Who said anything about pity minutes? He was very solid when he came in and certainly was a factor in us winning a few games to end the year; conference games. Leadership is a big deal, so maybe Galloway sort of "captains" the first teamers and Leal possibly the second. I'm saying try and get him minutes and see if he produces and helps those around him play better. Reminds me of the type of player/role Hillman filled. Watch the interview Coyle did with Decourcy this week and how much he talks about experience/leadership being a key. It's certainly one of the things that elevates UConn and was for Nova too. Heck, we couldn't land Hemmenway, and I think Leal is already as good an option as he was, so it's going to be very hard to even make use of that lost spot. At this point, I think the only way I'd fill it is if you could get a developmental post player.
I just think leal is a very bad basketball player. Mainly because his legs don’t seem to be able to keep up. Almost to the point where I question if something is wrong with them. He could be a great leader, but getting toasted every time by your man hurts more than leadership helps.

Whenever I see a post about a player sucking. I'm sure the person saying it played D1 ball. Otherwise it's a ridiculous thing to do. Talking crap about a guy who loves his school. Loves his team mates. And gives it his all when in the game. Or maybe the guy is a wanna be who never played varsity ball in high school. And doesn't understand what it takes to be a D1 player.

I'd take Dillon Mitchell for sure. He played really well for Texas last year. He doesn't shoot that well but is solid 2 way player and can go airplane mode any moment. Speaking of Texas. Tyrese Hunter would of been a noce pickup but he went to Memphis I think.

I would support saving the last scholarship too, but it could be an opportunity to use it on a player reclassifying late or take a chance on a raw player and redshirting them to see if they can develop into a player. If it doesn't work, the player can go into the portal.

Hemenway was the last player I thought we might bring in. I have since heard that UE might be where he ends up. More playing time and I've heard there has been some family health concerns that makes him coming home a good idea. Btown isn't far away but UE is just down the expressway.
Hemenway committed to Vanderbilt 9 days ago. Are you saying that he is reconsidering due to a family health issue or did you just miss the memo?

I just think leal is a very bad basketball player. Mainly because his legs don’t seem to be able to keep up. Almost to the point where I question if something is wrong with them. He could be a great leader, but getting toasted every time by your man hurts more than leadership helps.
sometimes the biggest leap a player makes is between his senior year and his covid year, I think you are writing him off to early

Not necessarily. If you know where to be, and you know where your teammates should be and tell/help them, switch on help when needed and especially this year with a potential eraser behind you like Ballo.... Besides, did you not think he made positive contributions in the last 10 games or so? Certainly helped way more than he hurt. I'm just saying try in the precon games and see what he does. I think everyone agrees we could've used another knock down shooter and imo he's as likely to be that guy as anyone after Goode. Better players around him, should get him even better looks.

Not necessarily. If you know where to be, and you know where your teammates should be and tell/help them, switch on help when needed and especially this year with a potential eraser behind you like Ballo.... Besides, did you not think he made positive contributions in the last 10 games or so? Certainly helped way more than he hurt. I'm just saying try in the precon games and see what he does. I think everyone agrees we could've used another knock down shooter and imo he's as likely to be that guy as anyone after Goode. Better players around him, should get him even better looks.
We just added another senior. Should have a slew of leadership. IMO Leal doesn’t ever sniff the floor for a top 15/3 seed or better. That’s what the goal should be this year.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
We just added another senior. Should have a slew of leadership. IMO Leal doesn’t ever sniff the floor for a top 15/3 seed or better. That’s what the goal should be this year.
Being older doesn't make you a leader, and it's harder to lead if you're a transfer, but not out of the question. My buddy told me something that has stuck with me about Leal. He said someone was interviewing Galloway and asked which of his teammates he'd want with him in a street fight. Naturally they expected him to say someone like Reanu, or TJD/Race/Mbako (not sure what year it was), and Trey said Leal. The guy was surprised and asked him why, he said something like "he's nasty!" You've (and I!) have wanted a dog.... maybe he's that guy.

Being older doesn't make you a leader, and it's harder to lead if you're a transfer, but not out of the question. My buddy told me something that has stuck with me about Leal. He said someone was interviewing Galloway and asked which of his teammates he'd want with him in a street fight. Naturally they expected him to say someone like Reanu, or TJD/Race/Mbako (not sure what year it was), and Trey said Leal. The guy was surprised and asked him why, he said something like "he's nasty!" You've (and I!) have wanted a dog.... maybe he's that guy.
me and Ballo will fight both of them, and I'm not going to lie I probably won't have to participate very much.

I hope Woody follows analytics and cuts the rotation to a core 8 in Dec and sticks with it. Deep lineups rob teams of synergy and efficiency. That means Leal and Cupps are practice players only ..and Hatton and Goode only get spot minutes... but he won't.

I hope Woody follows analytics and cuts the rotation to a core 8 in Dec and sticks with it. Deep lineups rob teams of synergy and efficiency. That means Leal and Cupps are practice players only ..and Hatton and Goode only get spot minutes... but he won't.
Doubt Hatton sees many minutes. I think Goode will find ways into the lineup. I know it goes against everything Woody has done so far, but I think (hope?) he doesn't play Ballo and Reanu together constantly and works Goode and MM into the lineup more at the 4.

Last edited:
Doubt Hatton sees many minutes. I think Goode will find ways into the lineup. I know it goes against everything Woody has done so far, but I think (hope?) he doesn't play Ballo and Reanu together and works Goode and MM into the lineup more at the 4.
Malik will be working on ball handling, face ups, middies and 3s all summer ... so until we see what his kit bag looks like in the fall that may or may not be an issue.

Plus, he didn't guard fives well, he didn't rebound well for that position ... and will probably not be working on improving his post play.. Of course things could change and he could get better at those things as well.

I think there's more concerns with him playing five especially defensively, than having him at four with Ballo.. His future is not in the post.

Everyone is over concerned about shooting 3's.. when that probably won't be an issue with the players we now have even if we run two bigs.. Two bigs with only one perimeter threat vs two bigs with three perimeter threats should look a whole lot different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT