“There are lots of good people on both sides....” POLL

Is it time to open up the economy?

• Yes. The cure is worse than the problem

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No. Listen to the medical professionals

Votes: 43 82.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A couple of things - first I think you're either misquoting or mischaracterizing Obama here.

Second, now that push has actually come to shove, isn't the conventional wisdom conservatives are pushing essentially that some people will have to die as collateral damage for revving up the economy again? It's not hard to read between the lines when the Rush Limbaughs and Fox News personalities are saying the cure can't be worse than the virus (and the president parrots them).

If that same 'lady' asked a sitting Republican senator or member of congress about the safety and preservation of her 95 year old mother today, what do you think their response would be?

At this point, I don't know why anyone wouldn't be at least on board with uncoupling health insurance with employment.
The social distancing was not done so that nobody gets the virus. It was to slow down the virus so the hospitals were not overwhelmed. The economy can get going again while at the same time the eldery etc those who are susceptible can be quarantined. There is no reason to keep the economy shut down any longer because the plan to social distance worked. The vast majority of hospitals have not been overrun.
I don't believe anyone who values life would tell someone their mother should just take a pain killer and not have a surgery whether they be Republican or Democrat.

If they qualify. Indiana's website says it takes up to 90 days to qualify. In theory, most of the laid off people from this recent disaster may not yet have any insurance.

The billing takes that long, particularly when you review and point out the F ups.

But to your point...the MFA debate will resurface in a big way after this and we should all listen and discuss with an open mind.

Last edited:
The economy can get going again while at the same time the eldery etc those who are susceptible can be quarantined.

Roughly 40% of the population has conditions that make the susceptible. How do you quarantine only them? As community spread widens, even a trip to the grocery store becomes dangerous.

If they cannot work, how do they pay for food, housing, medicine. You are extremely anti helping out people with government funds. When 60% need help, the government pretty much has to help. It gets down to 40%, your innate "screw them" mentality will kick in. Would you agree to pass a law that guarantees them money until a vaccine is created?

Reactions: outside shooter
The social distancing was not done so that nobody gets the virus. It was to slow down the virus so the hospitals were not overwhelmed. The economy can get going again while at the same time the eldery etc those who are susceptible can be quarantined. There is no reason to keep the economy shut down any longer because the plan to social distance worked. The vast majority of hospitals have not been overrun.
I don't believe anyone who values life would tell someone their mother should just take a pain killer and not have a surgery whether they be Republican or Democrat.

Hey Rev. Dipsh*t, that video has a large chunk removed from the middle. Maybe read the link that was posted that has the entire exchange between the lady and Obama. Holy crap, you really aren't interested in facts.

A couple of things - first I think you're either misquoting or mischaracterizing Obama here.

Second, now that push has actually come to shove, isn't the conventional wisdom conservatives are pushing essentially that some people will have to die as collateral damage for revving up the economy again? It's not hard to read between the lines when the Rush Limbaughs and Fox News personalities are saying the cure can't be worse than the virus (and the president parrots them).

If that same 'lady' asked a sitting Republican senator or member of congress about the safety and preservation of her 95 year old mother today, what do you think their response would be?

At this point, I don't know why anyone wouldn't be at least on board with uncoupling health insurance with employment.

How you forced yourself to read past the panel bullshit is beyond me but kudos to you.

There is no reason to keep the economy shut down any longer because the plan to social distance worked.

Imagine if a doctor tells you to take some medication for the next 8 weeks. After two weeks, you say, "Hey, I feel fine so no more medication..." That's what we're dealing with here. We can't say we're totally fine just because you feel that way.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Universal Healthcare would mean that medicine and other procedures would be decided by a panel. So even with it you might not get the medicine if you are deemed to be not worth saving. It's like the lady who asked Obama if her 95 yr old mother would get her needed surgery under ObamaCare and Obama actually said,"We'd give her a pill". Why a pill? Because she would be deemed as not worth the money to be spent on her.
Did you fall into the ministry when you realized you weren't bright enough to do anything else?

Universal Healthcare would mean that medicine and other procedures would be decided by a panel. So even with it you might not get the medicine if you are deemed to be not worth saving. It's like the lady who asked Obama if her 95 yr old mother would get her needed surgery under ObamaCare and Obama actually said,"We'd give her a pill". Why a pill? Because she would be deemed as not worth the money to be spent on her.
This is a lie. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Reactions: MaxCoke
What part is a lie? 2009 when Obama said just give her a pill, it’s on YouTube.

Last edited:
That's not what he said. He said in some instances a pain pill is better medicine than surgery. That was the decision my dad made a year ago when he elected hospice.
He also explicitly said that we didn't want bureaucrats making those decisions, that it should be left up to patients in consultation with their doctors.

Somebody must have hijacked your account and is trolling you.

either that or you are as freaking crazy as these charlatans:

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxCoke
That's not what he said. He said in some instances a pain pill is better medicine than surgery. That was the decision my dad made a year ago when he elected hospice.
Cherry pick whatever you want, Obama was pathetic!

Today’s press conference is bound to be a nightmare. I would not be surprised if Trump ducks the press today.

It’s a black and white question folks. Do you think it is time to get back to work or is it advisable to slow walk this and follow the advice of the medical professionals?

I thought about putting a third choice in and if I had it would’ve been that you’re unsure as to which way the country should go at this point.
Your question may be binary but the issue most certainly isn’t.

Reactions: Tacoll
I was just reading a story that businesses do not want to enforce mask rules. OK, I get no one wants to be the mask police. But forcing minimum wage employees to deal with unmasked customers is totally ridiculous. It fits a pattern of a combination of "it ain't me" and "sucks to be them".
They make customers wear shirts and shoes, and masks are just another item of clothing

Wouldn't you think that since they are doing a three part reopen that Trump didn't come up with that by himself? I am sure he has talked with many medical experts. There are some who are saying that not reopening will cost lives too. People who are poor get depressed and turn to alcohol and drugs. They can't get the medicine they need because they don't have money. Etc. So you have to think about those folks too.
do you f-ing think trump came up with the guidelines, the mans so damn stupid no way in hell he had any input. someone else most certainly came up with them and then had to convince him to go along

They make customers wear shirts and shoes, and masks are just another item of clothing
Simple enough for the governors to require masks (or other covering like a scarf or bandana) in retail establishments. Sure, there will be some douches who want to be all sovereign citizen, but from what little I've seen and what I've seen reported, overall cooperation by the public has been pretty good. Right now in Bton I'd guess that ~50% of the people are wearing some covering when in stores or other similar places. That's voluntarily complying with suggested behavior, without any kind of mandate or requirement.

No Shirt
No Shoes
No Mask
No Service

[ht to courtsense]

Simple enough for the governors to require masks (or other covering like a scarf or bandana) in retail establishments. Sure, there will be some douches who want to be all sovereign citizen, but from what little I've seen and what I've seen reported, overall cooperation by the public has been pretty good. Right now in Bton I'd guess that ~50% of the people are wearing some covering when in stores or other similar places. That's voluntarily complying with suggested behavior, without any kind of mandate or requirement.

No Shirt
No Shoes
No Mask
No Service

[ht to courtsense]
Had to go to Home Depot (in Cincy) last weekend to deal with a few ants...or an ant infestation as my wife called it. I think only about 20% of people had a mask on.

Line to get in was about 25-30 people long. Line to check out was about the same, as they were only using self-checkout lines. But they had TP and paper towels.

Had to go to Home Depot (in Cincy) last weekend to deal with a few ants...or an ant infestation as my wife called it. I think only about 20% of people had a mask on.

Line to get in was about 25-30 people long. Line to check out was about the same, as they were only using self-checkout lines. But they had TP and paper towels.

Were people distancing in the store and checkout?

I am one of those refusing to go shopping, largely because of people like below who are sure it is a hoax. I also saw police arrested a guy who thought it cute to cough on them and tell them he has the virus. Too many people are just untrustworthy on this issue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-just-days-boasting-social-media-wont-it.html

Were people distancing in the store and checkout?

I am one of those refusing to go shopping, largely because of people like below who are sure it is a hoax. I also saw police arrested a guy who thought it cute to cough on them and tell them he has the virus. Too many people are just untrustworthy on this issue.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-just-days-boasting-social-media-wont-it.html
Yes, people were doing a really good job of distancing themselves. They wiped down the scanners between every customer (they have hand-held scanner devices in their self-service checkout lines), and had employees controlling entry and access to the checkout units. Frankly, I was pretty impressed at how people were trying to distance themselves. Of course it made the checkout line really, really long, but I'm OK with that.

And that was the first time shopping for anyone in our family in a couple of weeks (but we have gotten take-out, and I had my car serviced two weeks ago).

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Other than my trips to the Post Office to check my box, I've been out among other people exactly once in the last 3+ weeks since being furloughed on March 31. That was a junk food run to Big Lots. At the time people were behaving themselves well. I'm out of cookies and about out of chips and drinks, so headed there tomorrow. My douche-dar is pretty accurate, so I'm hopeful I can avoid any sketchy situations.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
There just isn't a community spirit. What has been revealed with the shambles is that whole concept of being an ''American'' really is a self-serving idea -- giving one a personal identity. And not one that actually binds people together. And push comes to shove, its always about money first.
Not sure it was a facade in the past but it certainly is the case today.

I'd disagree... and agree with @Marvin the Martian response. Public polling has been pretty overwhelming in supporting the policies being undertaken. But in today's age of social media.... a tiny group can get a big voice. So when 100 people protest something it's presented as some kind of broad movement.

The reality is these are very difficult public policy decisions that's trying to balance a seesaw between public health and economic concerns, playing out in open societies/democracies. The idea that everyone is going to come down on the same side of that argument is a fairy tale.

Add to that, the US is a giant geographical entity that has many different outcomes occurring with this virus.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Today’s press conference is bound to be a nightmare. I would not be surprised if Trump ducks the press today.

It’s a black and white question folks. Do you think it is time to get back to work or is it advisable to slow walk this and follow the advice of the medical professionals?

I thought about putting a third choice in and if I had it would’ve been that you’re unsure as to which way the country should go at this point.

for the parts of the country not hard hit, have they dodged the bullet, or has the bullet just not got there yet.

and no, it's not black and white at all.

and just because you open it, doesn't mean they will come.

testing is the main key to any return to near normalcy, until a real vaccine is developed which could be a long time.

unlimited testing capacity for both types of antibodies is the best short term goal.

that said, if the govt had looked out for the citizenry rather than their donors, and paused all rents/mortgages/loan pmts quickly, instead of the beyond insane approach they took, the working class and small business wouldn't be faced with a tragic false choice imposed on them by their own elected leaders who totally sold them out both financially and physically.

for the parts of the country not hard hit, have they dodged the bullet, or has the bullet just not got there yet.

and no, it's not black and white at all.

and just because you open it, doesn't mean they will come.

testing is the main key to any return to near normalcy, until a real vaccine is developed which could be a long time.

unlimited testing capacity for both types of antibodies is the best short term goal.

that said, if the govt had looked out for the citizenry rather than their donors, and paused all rents/mortgages/loan pmts quickly, instead of the beyond insane approach they took, the working class and small business wouldn't be faced with a tragic false choice imposed on them by their own elected leaders who totally sold them out both financially and physically.

Oh my God! The question is black and white!. Eight words - is it time to open up the economy. The choices were “yes” and “no”. Based on hat you wrote I would guess that your answer would be “No”. That would be option 2.

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT