ADVERTISEMENT

Would they really kick us out?

if there were no deals with Fox or NBC or CBS or Disney and no BTN, IU and other schools' students could produce, direct, announce, do all the camera work on, and live stream every football and basketball and volleyball and baseball and soccer game.

and they could do an excellent job of it. it isn't rocket science and the media school no doubt has good people to instruct and oversee.

one can now get a camera for a couple hundred bucks that's 10 times better than one that cost $20,000 in the 80s.

no satellite time needed. no broadcast spectrum needed.

and everyone who wished could watch every game and every match for free, and the students producing, announcing, and putting on the games, would become pros fast, and those on camera would become well known..

producing and broadcasting college sports once required media partners.

it no longer does in the slightest.

it's now a partnership just about the money, and like i said, the money all goes to only a very very very small handfull of coaches and c-suite execs and mostly to the construction industry, while no student, or player, or faculty member, or alum, or fan, or non c-suite staff member, benefits a cent, while the fans and the alums finance everything out of their own pockets.

amazing how this has been pushed as something that benefits the schools and the fans.

that's total horsesht being wrapped in a school flag and sold to suckers.

we've all seen the childrens' hospital next to the Iowa Stadium.

how much of the money is it or Riley getting?

what isn't skimmed off by the coaches and c-suite AD execs, goes to the construction industry to build unneeded opulence, much of which was probably of far greater value as parking, greenspace, and land needed for the future.

don't shoot the messenger. (unless that's your job here).
Well there is some precedent here.

IU students have produced some pretty terrific low budget two camera BB games complete with announcers better than the BTN slop.

On some level I don't really care about that if it means we don't have to play every year the 3 teams we'll never financially compete with. I was at IU when ARE was there. Team was fun to watch and never won a whole lot but that didn't hurt my experience as a student. And as a alum I like to go to competitive games. I don't see the need to be the free game for the big 3 every year. I think the imbalance is just going to get worse.

Once they expand the playoffs the other bowl games are going to become meaningless (they are already on the way with the players opting out - which I understand). There's got to be some thought about post-season for teams that aren't the big hitters.
There are 43 bowl games at the current time. Most of them are already meaningless.

Here is a telltale indication: if you are watching a bowl game in mid-December on a Tuesday night, it's meaningless.

There are 43 bowl games at the current time. Most of them are already meaningless.

Here is a telltale indication: if you are watching a bowl game in mid-December on a Tuesday night, it's meaningless.
Meaningless to you, perhaps, but not to most of the players, their families, and coaches. It’s a pretty big deal to them. It’s also a big deal to recruits, who often get to see us in one or more of the 15 extra practices we get, kind of a prelude to spring practice.

Reactions: kmathum
No no no no tough guy. You made the claim. You are so similar to the other troll here it is not funny.
So if what you posted about can be found in my post is there, which it is not, then simply cut and paste and show everyone what you have claimed to be true is there. The problem is that you cannot do it.

Here's your problem: any post that I made in this thread is there to be seen. What you have posted is there as well. Anyone looking can see the thread and realize what you have alleged is false.

You could end the discussion clearly: just copy from my posts what you claim and paste it here. Let's see it. But your problem is that you can't; you made it up. You duck and dodge when called on your false statement. But your dishonesty is obvious to anyone reading this thread.

I’m expecting IU to be removed eventually. The time frame I’d guess is between 5-10 years. My guess is we go to a hybrid conference setup with football moving to some G5 conference and basketball playing games in the traditional conference. This will gain steam as the eventual disproportionate distribution of media rights money comes into play. When that does come into play, which I think it will, watch some movement start to happen. I look for IU to be in the AAC (not ACC) or the Sunbelt.
What could prevent this if we get a new staff who gets us rolling.

Yes, and you have to watch out for the Lizard people who drink kids' blood, too.

So what is IU to do? I believe that they have to step up as you pointed out.

I am convinced that for IU to be relevant going forward, they must make a very, very aggressive move to bring facilities up to snuff, get a really top-tier coach (and know that it will cost big $$$) and market the hell out of the program once positive results occur.
Not possible. Look at the past 100 years of evidence.

IU should do everything they can to win in soccer, basketball and swimming. Stick with the brand. IU football cannot get better in the NIL era.

So if what you posted about can be found in my post is there, which it is not, then simply cut and paste and show everyone what you have claimed to be true is there. The problem is that you cannot do it.

Here's your problem: any post that I made in this thread is there to be seen. What you have posted is there as well. Anyone looking can see the thread and realize what you have alleged is false.

You could end the discussion clearly: just copy from my posts what you claim and paste it here. Let's see it. But your problem is that you can't; you made it up. You duck and dodge when called on your false statement. But your dishonesty is obvious to anyone reading this thread.
NU and Rutgers have the advantage of population centers and the cable tv hook-ups that will keep them in conference longer than IU.
Only matters if they deliver the numbers which you cannot provide to back up your claims. (But we all know)
Rutgers and Northwestern already deliver those numbers.

Again...big claims, no backup.

Receipts suck, huh?

Have a nice life.

Not possible. Look at the past 100 years of evidence.

IU should do everything they can to win in soccer, basketball and swimming. Stick with the brand. IU football cannot get better in the NIL era.
We can get better in FB and hopefully will, but IU will still be the league's marquee brand for MBB, a first quartile for WBB and all 21 non-rev sports when taken as a whole.

The new BIGGER will continue to have a significant academic and research requirement and IU fits there quite well.

IU may eventually be on the list to chop because of low FB rev...but certainly not among the first to go. What is far more likely to happen as I have said forever is a redistribution of revenues based on FB and MBB combined.

Not to alumni that enjoy a fun party weekend in a warm spot.

For the Big Ten to survive as a conference, you need draft picks just like pro sports. Otherwise this thing will be over soon. Indiana has no business playing top level football any more without getting better players. Get the Big Ten to pay NIL deals and give teams draft picks to balance the league out. The kids only care about money and playing football. So pay them to go to Indiana.
Revenue sharing for a strong conference.

Only matters if they deliver the numbers which you cannot provide to back up your claims. (But we all know)

Again...big claims, no backup.

Receipts suck, huh?

Have a nice life.
You really are a dishonest person. You took a line in a post and intentionally took it out of context. The discussion was about cable hookups, not viewership ratings as you claimed.

I am copying the post from which you took the sentence and the preceding posts:

"In my opinion, that is the only way. While you revel in basketball, that is not where the evolution of college sports is headed at this time. NU and Rutgers have the advantage of population centers and the cable tv hook-ups that will keep them in conference longer than IU."

"As for Rutgers and Northwestern, I have lived in metro Chicago for many years and presently live in metro NYC. Whatever you want to say about those programs, the cable systems carry their games. That means that under bundling of channels, the cable systems charge each hook-up regardless of interest in the programs. These are major markets with lots of folks. NJ alone has 12 Congressional Districts; Indiana has 9. Despite a much smaller size, NJ has 1/3 more people. Hence more revenue to the conference."

"Rutgers and Northwestern already deliver those numbers. Because they are in the Big Ten, they are on the local cable networks in the basic packages. The BTN was not on the system pre-Rutgers admission. Now they are. Every month the conference gets a payday from that."

The discussion was always about cable subscribers in populated metro area and not tv ratings. The posts speak for themselves and clearly you took them out of context. As well as repeated posts pointing out that actual viewership is irrelevant.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: George.Smalley
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT