ADVERTISEMENT

Would they really kick us out?

Weird that someone would think that collective bargaining for players and revised revenue distribution would be funny. Strange guy

Revenue will eventually become a big issue for Ohio State, PSU, and Michigan. They are the big hitters in this conference and why in the hell would they want to split the revenues up equally when their brands dwarf most other brands in the conference.

This would be an excellent reason to invest heavily in football RIGHT NOW. Do it while still getting a full share of the revenues!!!
Before you know it, the FB factories in the BIG will want a bigger share.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
Your analysis is correct. IU made the determination years ago to be a basketball first and football a distant second school. Kansas was for many years the same; so was Kentucky. In each of these schools, the basketball coach was paid much more than the football coach; that is not the standard situation. (I realize that at present it is not the situation at IU but for many years it was.) Kansas and Kentucky have tried to change that with positive results so far.

The evolution of sports has led to increased emphasis on football driven primarily by media television contracts with conferences. Within conferences, the football "big dogs" began to demand a disproportionate share of conference dollars. This led to the break-up of the Big12, led primarily by Texas. While the conference still exists, the traditional football powers have left/are leaving. Look at what has happened to the PAC12. It will essentially cease to exist after this year - only two schools have not made other plans.

So what does that mean for the Big Ten? You are likely correct that OSU and Michigan will demand a greater share of revenues because of their dominance. To prevent that, the other conference members either step up their game to make the "big 2" less dominant or else the "big 2" will leave if their demands are not granted. If they are granted, then within the conference you will have big2 dominance for as far as the eye can see with everyone else fighting for a distant third place. I am pretty confident that your idea of the football super-conference is close to what the future holds.

So what is IU to do? I believe that they have to step up as you pointed out. I am convinced that the hiring by Purdue of Walters indicates that they are determined to step up. Like it or not, Purdue's football history is better than IU's. That doesn't mean that is is great. I would classify it to average/slightly above average based upon recent history. I am convinced that the Walters hiring is a "swing for the fences" hire as opposed to a "reliable but average" coach. That means Walters will be very successful or bomb out. So far, recruiting has picked up but games have shown that the staff is learning on the job. Time will tell.

I am convinced that for IU to be relevant going forward, they must make a very, very aggressive move to bring facilities up to snuff, get a really top-tier coach (and know that it will cost big $$$) and market the hell out of the program once positive results occur.

In my opinion, that is the only way. While you revel in basketball, that is not where the evolution of college sports is headed at this time. NU and Rutgers have the advantage of population centers and the cable tv hook-ups that will keep them in conference longer than IU.
Neither NU nor Rutger can deliver those market numbers.

You consider your new coach video guy “swing for the fences”. Explain that please.

I like the idea of a super conference for football, especially now that the top 20 or teams across the country are essentially professional teams. There's no reason to think IU will ever have the resources to compete with OSU, UM and PSU, regardless of leadership.
Careful what you wish for . . . This would certainly lower our annual revenue derived from television rights to something even less than what might occur should the BT “haves” decide to flex their muscles and try to “rebalance” revenue distributions / payouts based on relative contributions to income.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I’m expecting IU to be removed eventually. The time frame I’d guess is between 5-10 years. My guess is we go to a hybrid conference setup with football moving to some G5 conference and basketball playing games in the traditional conference. This will gain steam as the eventual disproportionate distribution of media rights money comes into play. When that does come into play, which I think it will, watch some movement start to happen. I look for IU to be in the AAC (not ACC) or the Sunbelt.
What could prevent this if we get a new staff who gets us rolling.
I come here and read posts quite a bit but I don't post all that often. Anyway, aren't you the guy who gave up his IU fandom a few seasons ago and adopted The Crimson Tide as your "program". I thought I remembered reading that they gave you a warm welcome.

That's you right?

You consider your new coach video guy “swing for the fences”. Explain that please.
It is simple. Walters is young and charismatic. He had shown competence as DC at Illinois. I believe that he was chosen because Purdue's AD decided that the program had to step up based on the recent and anticipated evolution of college football. Purdue already upgraded (finished or in process) facilities and needed a coach with Brohm gone home. The choice was to hire an established coach, but the market for a premier one was not there then. If you go with the experienced but not high-caliber guy then you have higher downside but limited upside. If you are committed to stepping up, you go with the unproven guy who you think has big upside but lacks experience but with the recognition that he may not pan out.

In fairness to Walters, so far his recruiting has stepped up. His and staff's on-field performance has shown a lack of experience, hence the learning on the job comment. The jury is out as to whether or not the strategy pays off. But I agree with the attempt in order to remain competitive in a rapidly evolving situation.

As for Rutgers and Northwestern, I have lived in metro Chicago for many years and presently live in metro NYC. Whatever you want to say about those programs, the cable systems carry their games. That means that under bundling of channels, the cable systems charge each hook-up regardless of interest in the programs. These are major markets with lots of folks. NJ alone has 12 Congressional Districts; Indiana has 9. Despite a much smaller size, NJ has 1/3 more people. Hence more revenue to the conference.

Last edited:
And THAT more than anything will impact how everything goes going forward. Right now it is a very large pie, but if everyone and their brother starts getting a piece of it (and I believe that through the courts everyone will) it will make a lot of schools rethink the entire process as the risk/reward get farther apart.
The way the economy is going, I wont care what conference IU is in because I wont be able to afford watching college sports! Inflation is ruining everything for me! Cant afford to go to games and cant afford to watch them on TV, I can barely afford to keep a roof over my head and food on my table ffs! Prices are increasing everywhere and my income isnt! Maybe it’ll all improve once that old crooked buzzard is out of office, but if the B10 keeps increasing it’s size, the $$$ for tickets/tv, etc will keep going up!
College football/basketball has turned into a monopoly, which will soon turn into minor league/semi-pro orgs! I can see football and basketball splitting off from NCAA academics and creating their own athletic non-student organizations! Some schools may choose to keep both students and athletes and form smaller leagues, but to lower level athletic standards! I think IU can make enough revenue to separate the student from the athlete especially in basketball, but IU football could take a big hit!

what makes the pie so large in the first place is a 100% monopolistic pay tv model that over charges consumers a $100 mo every month for pay tv and internet, and never should be legal for 2 seconds.

and no one benefits more from that monopolistic disgrace than major college and pro athletics, including IU.

busting up that monopoly and regulating the internet as the utility that it is should be job one of the courts, but obviously the courts have been bought just as much as the legislatures and regulatory agencies.

as to the B10 kicking anyone out, that will never happen.

that doesn't mean schools might not go off on their own though, as we saw with UT, OU, UCLA, and USC, already.

college sports are now being run by activist hedge fund manager mentalities with no loyalties to anyone, including their own schools, and only short term benefits for the very select few at the expense of everyone else matters, even if it is the enemy of long term benefit and what's in the best interests of the many..

Reactions: HoosierAlum07

Rutgers and Northwestern already deliver those numbers. Because they are in the Big Ten, they are on the local cable networks in the basic packages. The BTN was not on the system pre-Rutgers admission. Now they are. Every month the conference gets a payday from that.

Every conference needs a patsie to give teams that extra bye week.
SEC has Vandy and the ACC has GT and BC.
Besides that,who would OSU play in their annual preseason scrimmage?
We do make a good punching bag. Until we decide to take fb seriously that appears to be our primary function in the grand scheme of things

The "Big Ten" isn't going to kick anyone out... nobody got kicked out of the Pac 12 either. So that's not much solace, long term.

Who knows that the college and TV landscape looks like in another 15-20 years. Likely a lot different than right now. I doubt that OSU, Mich, Penn State and USC are going to want to subsidize us forever.

Ironic coming from a pu troll.
I was engaging in respectful posting with another as the text of the thread will show.

As for Allen, he is highly paid at this time. And if you read this site, he is viewed unfavorably (and that adjective is a charitable description.) What is likely to keep him past this year is the size of his buyout, after 2024 it drops considerably.

Maybe he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and does great and merits retention. That is a possible outcome, but one upon which I place a low probability.

Reactions: Jackskip23
what makes the pie so large in the first place is a 100% monopolistic pay tv model that over charges consumers a $100 mo every month for pay tv and internet, and never should be legal for 2 seconds.

and no one benefits more from that monopolistic disgrace than major college and pro athletics, including IU.

busting up that monopoly and regulating the internet as the utility that it is should be job one of the courts, but obviously the courts have been bought just as much as the legislatures and regulatory agencies.

as to the B10 kicking anyone out, that will never happen.

that doesn't mean schools might not go off on their own though, as we saw with UT, OU, UCLA, and USC, already.

college sports are now being run by activist hedge fund manager mentalities with no loyalties to anyone, including their own schools, and only short term benefits for the very select few at the expense of everyone else matters, even if it is the enemy of long term benefit and what's in the best interests of the many..
$$$

Rutgers and Northwestern already deliver those numbers. Because they are in the Big Ten, they are on the local cable networks in the basic packages. The BTN was not on the system pre-Rutgers admission. Now they are. Every month the conference gets a payday from that.

Don't think any of that is relevant for the next generation, as TV delivery as we know it is quickly changing, and non-sports watchers are continually going to stop paying for stuff they don't care about.

Hell I'm dropping linear cable, and will just pay for a streaming service for the B1G network for the few months a year I care about having it.

BTN has lost 2M homes just this year.

Last edited:
The "Big Ten" isn't going to kick anyone out... nobody got kicked out of the Pac 12 either. So that's not much solace, long term.

Who knows that the college and TV landscape looks like in another 15-20 years. Likely a lot different than right now. I doubt that OSU, Mich, Penn State and USC are going to want to subsidize us forever.
You are technically correct; nobody was kicked out. However, when everyone else left the PAC12, Oregon State and Washington State were not invited to the new parties. That is pretty much a distinction without a difference.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
I would argue that neither really delivers those numbers as much as those universities happen to be located near the first and third largest metro areas in the country. Yes, Rutgers and Northwestern certainly have alums and fans in those locales, but the sheer size of the NY metro area and Chicagoland ensure that alums of most Big 10 schools consume media there. Rutgers gets credit for delivering NY and NU gets credit for Chicago, but it’s more nuanced than that, as I’m sure you know.

Careful what you wish for . . . This would certainly lower our annual revenue derived from television rights to something even less than what might occur should the BT “haves” decide to flex their muscles and try to “rebalance” revenue distributions / payouts based on relative contributions to income.

the world is populated by total suckers.

if "IU" got less money in the future, so what.

"IU", the institution and all who make it up, haven't benefited any yet, and won't in the future either.

that said, let's take a look at who really has benefited from all that's gone on, and who hasn't, and who is actually much worse off.

1), no student, or faculty member, or alum, or fan, has benefited so much as one cent from media money or corporate consolidation of the leagues.

only a very very very small handful of coaches and C-Suite administrator/execs plus a very very very small handful of athletes have significantly benefited at all.

and the construction industry has done quite well.

no student's tuition has been lowered one cent. no faculty member's salary has gone up one cent, no alum or fan has benefited one cent.

but every said fan and alum is literally a thousand in the hole every yr from what they should be paying just on their pay tv/internet bill.

parking for events now costs more than the events used to.

all fact.

2), every school in the B10 will have only a 61% chance of winning the conference in any sport than a few yrs ago.

minor and women's sports will now have a 61% less chance of being televised than a few yrs ago.

that's math. not debatable.

3), IU used to have some say in what went on in the conference.

they now have zero say.

"Indiana University", it's students, it's faculty, it's alums, it's fans, the townspeople, haven't benefited in the slightest from media money or corporate consolidation.

they are worse off.

wake up sheep.

the administration's and league's social media army will no doubt love this post, so look out for the white corpuscles to attack the invader..

I think that the IU/OSU game was the most watched opening day football game in YEARS. And, in basketball, IU has a very large fan base that shows up for road games.

IU is competitive in all sports other than football and it still generates TV turn out. I think a case can be made that IU brings in as much money (other than bowl games) as it receives back.

Hey….I’m not asking for it to happen. I’d hate to see it happen with all my heart but I believe we are in an age of adapt and survive. I question IU’s ability to adapt as the conference looks to expand and potentially replace low performers (IU) with other schools with a better brand.

Don't think any of that is relevant for the next generation, as TV delivery as we know it is quickly changing, and non-sports watchers are continually going to stop paying for stuff they don't care about.

Hell I'm dropping linear cable, and will just pay for a streaming service for the B1G network for the few months a year I care about having it.

BTN has lost 2M homes just this year.
I do not do streaming except for Netflix and Amazon Prime so I am not really a streaming expert. However, it is my understanding that Hulu, Roku, Sling, etc. still bundle as part of their services. So if you are part of the bundle, you still get paid. Where the BTN is in this I do not know. I do know cable systems.

Personally, I think that we are at a tipping point regarding college sports. The networks, ESPN being a classic example, have overpaid for sports. As you pointed out, people gave up BTN, but the contract still holds. There is a good reason why Disney may sell ABC and ESPN; it is because they are losing money. It would not surprise me if in the future deals the prices decline. When that happens, the real free for all begins.

I do not do streaming except for Netflix and Amazon Prime so I am not really a streaming expert. However, it is my understanding that Hulu, Roku, Sling, etc. still bundle as part of their services. So if you are part of the bundle, you still get paid. Where the BTN is in this I do not know. I do know cable systems.

Personally, I think that we are at a tipping point regarding college sports. The networks, ESPN being a classic example, have overpaid for sports. As you pointed out, people gave up BTN, but the contract still holds. There is a good reason why Disney may sell ABC and ESPN; it is because they are losing money. It would not surprise me if in the future deals the prices decline. When that happens, the real free for all begins.

A handful of years ago, the BTN was in over 60m homes. As of last month it was down to 47M. Millions of those subscribers don't give a shit about sports and never watch them. Regional sports networks are already losing money at this point.

I dont watch anything on cable other than live sports. My kids don't even know how to turn the cable box on. Everything is Netflix or YouTube or Disney+.

I can sign up with Sling or something for $50/mo for a few months for watching BB and FB. And then dump it the other 6 months of the year.

I'm just saying the old model of "capturing big cable TV markets" is a dying model.

I think that the IU/OSU game was the most watched opening day football game in YEARS. And, in basketball, IU has a very large fan base that shows up for road games.

IU is competitive in all sports other than football and it still generates TV turn out. I think a case can be made that IU brings in as much money (other than bowl games) as it receives back.
The issue is that they were tuning in to watch OSU and not IU. If you look at 2022 TV ratings, Purdue's football team was watched by 10.3 million more viewers than IU (23.53 vs 13.17) in games where viewership was identified. Note: in some games there were two games in the slot where data accrued but was not broken out for each game. However, even if you were to accrue all the viewership for those slots to IU and give none to Purdue, it does not radically change the differences. So those games were not included in the total presented for either school. See sportsmediawatch.com

Purdue was good but not great in 2022. They won the B1G West.

You are correct that IU does generate some turnout, but it is not football-driven. The problem is that conferences which are not primarily football conferences have much lower media deals. For better or worse, football drives the equation.

A handful of years ago, the BTN was in over 60m homes. As of last month it was down to 47M. Millions of those subscribers don't give a shit about sports and never watch them. Regional sports networks are already losing money at this point.

I dont watch anything on cable other than live sports. My kids don't even know how to turn the cable box on. Everything is Netflix or YouTube or Disney+.

I can sign up with Sling or something for $50/mo for a few months for watching BB and FB. And then dump it the other 6 months of the year.

I'm just saying the old model of "capturing big cable TV markets" is a dying model.
I won't dispute your theory. Cable may go away or be drastically reduced. The fight will occur when money gets tight, not when everyone is flush.

I was engaging in respectful posting with another as the text of the thread will show.

As for Allen, he is highly paid at this time. And if you read this site, he is viewed unfavorably (and that adjective is a charitable description.) What is likely to keep him past this year is the size of his buyout, after 2024 it drops considerably.

Maybe he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and does great and merits retention. That is a possible outcome, but one upon which I place a low probability.
I am not an Allen fan at all, I think the guy's in way over his head. But with our schedule,( which in my opinion isn't exactly murderers row ), we should be able to win 6 and go bowling. If not, adios amigo.

I would argue that neither really delivers those numbers as much as those universities happen to be located near the first and third largest metro areas in the country. Yes, Rutgers and Northwestern certainly have alums and fans in those locales, but the sheer size of the NY metro area and Chicagoland ensure that alums of most Big 10 schools consume media there. Rutgers gets credit for delivering NY and NU gets credit for Chicago, but it’s more nuanced than that, as I’m sure you know.
They deliver not necessarily through viewership but their presence in these markets and getting on the cable package was the key to the deal. If you drive by the Rutgers stadium, and I have, it is quite small. It only seats about 40,000 which is puny by Big Ten standards. It was cable hookups, not fanbase that got Rutgers into the B1G. My late FiL was a big Rutgers fan and good friend of the former Rutgers AD, Pernetti, who got Rutgers into the B1G. My FiL explained to me as a result of a direct personal conversations that he had with Pernetti when the deal was being made as to what the drivers for the deal were.

the world is populated by total suckers.

if "IU" got less money in the future, so what.

"IU", the institution and all who make it up, haven't benefited any yet, and won't in the future either.

that said, let's take a look at who really has benefited from all that's gone on, and who hasn't, and who is actually much worse off.

1), no student, or faculty member, or alum, or fan, has benefited so much as one cent from media money or corporate consolidation of the leagues.

only a very very very small handful of coaches and C-Suite administrator/execs plus a very very very small handful of athletes have significantly benefited at all.

and the construction industry has done quite well.

no student's tuition has been lowered one cent. no faculty member's salary has gone up one cent, no alum or fan has benefited one cent.

but every said fan and alum is literally a thousand in the hole every yr from what they should be paying just on their pay tv/internet bill.

parking for events now costs more than the events used to.

all fact.

2), every school in the B10 will have only a 61% chance of winning the conference in any sport than a few yrs ago.

minor and women's sports will now have a 61% less chance of being televised than a few yrs ago.

that's math. not debatable.

3), IU used to have some say in what went on in the conference.

they now have zero say.

"Indiana University", it's students, it's faculty, it's alums, it's fans, the townspeople, haven't benefited in the slightest from media money or corporate consolidation.

they are worse off.

wake up sheep.

the administration's and league's social media army will no doubt love this post, so look out for the white corpuscles to attack the invader..
"Indiana University", it's students, it's faculty, it's alums, it's fans, the townspeople, haven't benefited in the slightest from media money or corporate consolidation.”

This is false, and it blows your credibility sky high.

By the way, the greed and hypocrisy in college athletics is decades old, and it existed well before conference consolidation or big coaching contracts or NIL or the Cable television boogeyman that you wage war against every time you post. I’m not crazy about all aspects of this, either, but I can literally watch any IU football or basketball game, live and in color, from anywhere in the free world. Anywhere. And so can anyone else. That’s a fact you continue to ignore.

It is simple. Walters is young and charismatic. He had shown competence as DC at Illinois. I believe that he was chosen because Purdue's AD decided that the program had to step up based on the recent and anticipated evolution of college football. Purdue already upgraded (finished or in process) facilities and needed a coach with Brohm gone home. The choice was to hire an established coach, but the market for a premier one was not there then. If you go with the experienced but not high-caliber guy then you have higher downside but limited upside. If you are committed to stepping up, you go with the unproven guy who you think has big upside but lacks experience but with the recognition that he may not pan out.

In fairness to Walters, so far his recruiting has stepped up. His and staff's on-field performance has shown a lack of experience, hence the learning on the job comment. The jury is out as to whether or not the strategy pays off. But I agree with the attempt in order to remain competitive in a rapidly evolving situation.

As for Rutgers and Northwestern, I have lived in metro Chicago for many years and presently live in metro NYC. Whatever you want to say about those programs, the cable systems carry their games. That means that under bundling of channels, the cable systems charge each hook-up regardless of interest in the programs. These are major markets with lots of folks. NJ alone has 12 Congressional Districts; Indiana has 9. Despite a much smaller size, NJ has 1/3 more people. Hence more revenue to the conference.
Sorry, but Walters is not a home run hire. At this point, it's a cross your fingers, sweat a bit, and pray at night hire and hope it turns out.

You might want to look up the word irony.

Hope this helps

We are aware of where they reside.

What are their typical ratings numbers? Just do Football.

I come here and read posts quite a bit but I don't post all that often. Anyway, aren't you the guy who gave up his IU fandom a few seasons ago and adopted The Crimson Tide as your "program". I thought I remembered reading that they gave you a warm welcome.

That's you right?

I soured on that idea after I spent some time in the desert I with a shaman on a journey of rediscovery. He looked into my heart and informed me I will
always be a masochist and to follow my heart back to IU.

Revenue will eventually become a big issue for Ohio State, PSU, and Michigan. They are the big hitters in this conference and why in the hell would they want to split the revenues up equally when their brands dwarf most other brands in the conference.

This would be an excellent reason to invest heavily in football RIGHT NOW. Do it while still getting a full share of the revenues!!!
IU hired the wrong AD and it is evident now despite what he told them when being hired. IU needed an experienced AD with a strong background in football because enough people would take care of basketball with an AD that knew how to improve football.

IU hired the wrong AD and it is evident now despite what he told them when being hired. IU needed an experienced AD with a strong background in football because enough people would take care of basketball with an AD that knew how to improve football.

Pat Kraft.
Interestingly enough, Dolson has reached out to Kraft on a few football related items to get his advice.

We are aware of where they reside.

What are their typical ratings numbers? Just do Football.
I have no idea what Rutgers ratings numbers are; or what Northwestern's are. You could look them up at the source that I indicated if you are sufficiently interested. Their ratings numbers are irrelevant to the reason for their presence. It is their presence on the cable systems that matters and generates the revenues, regardless of who watches them. So given that, it does not matter to pay attention to a variable that is meaningless.

Hallmark Channel, Univision, BET and MSNBC are all part of the basic as well as expanded cable bundles in my system. I never watch those channels, as well as many others. However, every month I pay for them because I cannot sort them out. BTN is the same. So their revenues are independent of my watching. Ratings are thus meaningless to their revenue stream.

Last edited:
I’m expecting IU to be removed eventually. The time frame I’d guess is between 5-10 years. My guess is we go to a hybrid conference setup with football moving to some G5 conference and basketball playing games in the traditional conference. This will gain steam as the eventual disproportionate distribution of media rights money comes into play. When that does come into play, which I think it will, watch some movement start to happen. I look for IU to be in the AAC (not ACC) or the Sunbelt.
What could prevent this if we get a new staff who gets us rolling.
Just a patently stupid take. IU will NEVER be removed from the B10 as we know it.

There may come a point in time where the top 4-5 schools from each conference say, “F*** the NCAA” and start their own league with their own set of rules, but IU being kicked to the curb in favor of another program just isn’t any based in reality.

Why?

I think it makes a lot of sense. Kraft played and has multiple degrees from IU and was an assistant AD.

I wonder if their time as students at IU overlapped too?

Pat Kraft and Dolson worked together under Glass. Kraft was head of marketing and promotions. See the story here. This is pretty funny.

Sorry, but Walters is not a home run hire. At this point, it's a cross your fingers, sweat a bit, and pray at night hire and hope it turns out.
He may not be a home run hire. I readily acknowledged that in my post. I said that the jury was out. His hire was high-risk, high-reward. But the risk was admittedly high. Time will tell if it pays off. He is learning on the job game-wise, but stepped up recruiting. We'll see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT