ADVERTISEMENT

Who, on the Dem side, is a solid candidate that would certainly beat Trump?

Yes by a long shot. He’s just narcissistic
No, listen to interviews of him from 1980. He spoke in complete sentences coherently. He isn't close to that now. Both have problems. We might argue who is worse, I am not qualified to make that call especially from afar. But from mental capacity alone, neither should be president.

i really don't think newsome and desantis are what most of america wants. they kind of represent the extremes. with newsome we see these calif cities with smash and grabs and homelessness and rot and lockdowns and the untenable cost of living and say no way. guy is way too left and exactly what we do not want for america. the polar is same for desantis. culture warrior. attacking individual rights way too loose on covid on and on
I need to learn more about Newsome. I like his disposition though. Views on leading a state vs. leading a nation are very different sets of priorities. He may see more liberal than most because he's the head of a normally pretty liberal state.

Much the same, I like Indiana's governor, Holcomb. He handled COVID extremely well, and while I don't share his thoughts on other issues, he's not divisive about it.

I need to learn more about Newsome. I like his disposition though. Views on leading a state vs. leading a nation are very different sets of priorities. He may see more liberal than most because he's the head of a normally pretty liberal state.

Much the same, I like Indiana's governor, Holcomb. He handled COVID extremely well, and while I don't share his thoughts on other issues, he's not divisive about it.
I can’t stand Newsom. His ex wife alone should subject him to impeachment

More so now than ever, it seems presidents are just upfront mouthpieces spewing teleprompter material generated behind the scene in the hidden machine of politics, if you will. The back room is a war room of strategic planning. The President just needs to look the part and relate to the masses and process stamina. I think the Indian fellow will be it sometime, but probably not in my lifetime. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Michelle Obama join someone’s ticket. It’s gotten to that point, hasn’t it. She’d make a good sideshow as VP.
She'd be a markedly better President than either of the likely choices.

I think the days of joking about, really anyone, being fit to run, should be over.

I'd be fully in favor of Tom Hanks running, for either party...though I'm sure he's a Democrat. Just say, this is a 4-8 year role Tom, your biggest to date. All you have to do is study Abraham Lincoln, FDR, George Washington, etc... and pretend you're trying to be them. A professional actor pretending to be like history's greatest Presidents would probably be the best leader we've had in the last 30 years. And again, while that's obviously a joke...Trump and Biden...its not so funny any more.

I think the days of joking about, really anyone, being fit to run, should be over.

I'd be fully in favor of Tom Hanks running, for either party...though I'm sure he's a Democrat. Just say, this is a 4-8 year role Tom, your biggest to date. All you have to do is study Abraham Lincoln, FDR, George Washington, etc... and pretend you're trying to be them. A professional actor pretending to be like history's greatest Presidents would probably be the best leader we've had in the last 30 years. And again, while that's obviously a joke...Trump and Biden...its not so funny any more.
He’d be so damn woke the cult would have four years of pure ecstasy. We’d replace the American flag with a mask

Reactions: stollcpa
I can’t stand Newsom. His ex wife alone should subject him to impeachment

He's probably the most politically talented big name on the Dem side. I wouldn't underestimate him. Pretty much guarantee he'll be running in '28, if not '24

He's probably the most politically talented big name on the Dem side. I wouldn't underestimate him. Pretty much guarantee he'll be running in '28, if not '24
his state better improve. people see the nightly news of once great cities now shitholes. cost of living untenable. draconian covid measures. on top of the current disdain amongst many independents for hollywood culture etc. and on top of the real and perceived exodus from the state by businesses and individuals. and for all the calif "economy" talk it has inherent benefits that should make it thrive compared to other states. guns germs and steel stuff

Reactions: stollcpa

“Pay the man, Shirley!”

4. Has a demonstrated record of competency.
Oops, there goes the list

Danny Devito Animation GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Well, we've technically already got actors who had the role of a leader becoming the actual leaders of their country....

images

So let's go with Kevin Kline for American President.

Now to really make it a trend, we need to get Gary Oldman or Brendan Gleeson as Prime Minister in the UK. Can I get a Huzzah?

Reactions: larsIU
Well, we've technically already got actors who had the role of a leader becoming the actual leaders of their country....

images

So let's go with Kevin Kline for American President.

Now to really make it a trend, we need to get Gary Oldman or Brendan Gleeson as Prime Minister in the UK. Can I get a Huzzah?
kevin kline grew up in my neighborhood. he's an IU alum to boot. Too old tho. Bagged phoebe cates which for a certain generation is as good as it gets

kevin kline grew up in my neighborhood. he's an IU alum to boot. Too old tho. Bagged phoebe cates which for a certain generation is as good as it gets
Hmmm...OK. Younger actors then.

Paul Giamatti played John Adams. He is only 56.
Daniel Day Lewis played Lincoln. He is 66.
Kiefer Sutherland has played the president on both the big screen (Roosevelt) and the small (Designated Survivor). He is 56.
Rob Lowe as Kennedy. He is 59.
Then of course, there's Kevin Spacey, who played Nixon. He is 64 and would fit in perfectly with our current track record of presidents with less-than-savory reputations with the ladies.

Ultimately though, we need Josh Brolin. 55 years old. Played George W. Bush. And we know that he can make the hard choices as, well duh, HE"S FREAKIN' THANOS!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Kiefer Sutherland has played the president on both the big screen (Roosevelt) and the small (Designated Survivor). He is 56.
Then of course, there's Kevin Spacey, who played Nixon. He is 64 and would fit in perfectly with our current track record of presidents with less-than-savory reputations with the ladies.

Ultimately though, we need Josh Brolin. 55 years old. Played George W. Bush. And we know that he can make the hard choices as, well duh, HE"S FREAKIN' THANOS!!!!
And all of this sounds like a joke...until we face the reality of what we've had the last 6 years.

Every single person you mentioned in this post, absurd as it sounds, would likely be better President's then either Trump or Biden.

Daniel day Lewis is so great

Reactions: CO. Hoosier

I know he is too old, but this guy was the GOAT...

dick-movie-1999movie.gif

• Love
the dem party is a total disaster. what the trumpers did to the pubs the woke cult did to the dems.
The “woke cult” is a conservative boogeyman and the vast majority of Americans don’t see it like you do.

Once again, for the eighth time in nine presidential elections, the dems will win the popular vote and that trend seems to be pretty solid. Look what happened in 2022, when the republicans should’ve won big.

The “woke cult” is a conservative boogeyman and the vast majority of Americans don’t see it like you do.

Once again, for the eighth time in nine presidential elections, the dems will win the popular vote and that trend seems to be pretty solid. Look what happened in 2022, when the republicans should’ve won big.
And you live in Bloomington? Is that correct?

Even liberals hate the woke cult

the dem party is a total disaster. what the trumpers did to the pubs the woke cult did to the dems. biden is horrible. a dumb 50 year gov cadaver who is an ahole and likely as dirty as trump but has the media running interference for him. harris is a vapid virtue signaling race-baiting moron. stay at home pete evidenced his incompetence and lack of experience on top of his endless virtue signaling bs. who is left? whitmer? bwahahahaha clown show. her draconian covid bs are a hard pass. who is left? do the dems have anyone? oh newsom bwahahahaha. clown. do i as i say not as i do douchebag. cities in calif are a trainwreck. homelessness. crime. housing unaffordable. population stagnant for the first time in what a century. people in the rest of the country hear calif and think hard pass. insert pritzker. same drill. totally worthless liberal. as i said the dem party is a complete trainwreck of garbage. do they have anyone? anyone at all? OH WAIT!!! HOLD ON!!!!!!

JOSH SHAPIRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 50. Sweet spot for president. Gtown law. born in kc with those midwest values. Center left dem who is biz friendly and cutting through gov red tape. easier to get teaching certs, medicaid providers, you know he'll make gov work FOR US! Crime? Tough! Common sense. Taxation? Reasonable!! Spending? Reasonable!!!! that's a candidate who would absolutely shred trump in a debate and is the type of president who would bring our country back to a sense of normalcy.
I think Grenell is correct. Good chance of it being Whitmer. Baris has said all along she's the strongest Dem candidate against Trump.

If by politically talented you mean a photogenic smooth talker, he is your man. His substance is either horribly bad or banal platitudes. He already is walking back some of his worst positions, so you are right that he is warming up to run.

Jon Tester, Larry Hogan, Josh Shapiro, Phil Scott, Gretchen Whitmer.

Haley on the GOP side

Larry Hogan and Phil Scott are Republicans, albeit from very blue states.

Agree that Haley is the best suited GOP candidate to win a general election.

JOSH SHAPIRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 50. Sweet spot for president. Gtown law. born in kc with those midwest values. Center left dem who is biz friendly and cutting through gov red tape. easier to get teaching certs, medicaid providers, you know he'll make gov work FOR US! Crime? Tough! Common sense. Taxation? Reasonable!! Spending? Reasonable!!!! that's a candidate who would absolutely shred trump in a debate and is the type of president who would bring our country back to a sense of normalcy.

giphy.gif

• Haha
I still think Klobuchar was a decent candidate. She is a moderate. Decently respected. Decently smart (as far as I was able to tell from interviews). She just doesn't have the "it" factor of presence.
As I mentioned in another thread, while having gravitas is certainly helpful for a president, it's pretty low on my list of priorities if the candidate is able to get things done.
The only question would be how well she could handle herself in a debate with Trump. That's a tall order for any candidate for sure, but it would come down to how much Trump would try to talk over her and how she responded.

That's her biggest flaw and to your point, I don't hold it against her. I don't agree with all of her political views, but she is more moderate than many others being floated around.

Yeah I guess but physically Biden is in much better shape than Trump.

is that before or after his many stumbles? And I'm talking literal (airplane, bike, stage, etc.) and mental (walking out at the wrong time, freezing up, babbling about the wrong thing)?

Say what you want about Trump, but he's sharper than Biden and has much better balance still, even if he looks fat.

People are very concerned about Biden's age. Trump is only marginally younger, I guess Biden "seems" older.

Biden is a mental and physical mess. Aside from the mental shortcomings at times, do you not remember these?

giphy.gif

200w.gif

giphy.gif

I think Buttigieg will struggle, probably a lot, on a few fronts. 1...his sexual orientation will turn him off to large voting segments. Hopefully that number is getting smaller every day. But its still a factor. 2. His record in South Bend, and then his record as Transportation Secretary, is uneven at best. It gives a political war machine like Trumps tons of ammunition. 3. I'm not sure he connects with enough demographics. He didn't with minorities in his primary run, and I'm not sure he would with average independent voters.

I'm not sure Pete is as likable now as he was the first time around to be honest. His performance in his cabinet role has been lackluster and he's caught some heat for issues (railroad derailments, etc.), even if they aren't really his fault.

Reactions: Spartans9312
To answer the OP’s question, I’m not sure I can think of a Democrat politician, along with various business leaders, celebrities, or military leaders, who wouldn’t beat Trump. Hell, Tom Crean would beat Trump if his handlers bought him a well fitted suit.

🤔

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT