ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you want back next year?

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
Talking coaches, trainers, s&c dude, players, AD, everyone. Is anyone here dying to see any of this again next year?

Talking coaches, trainers, s&c dude, players, AD, everyone. Is anyone here dying to see any of this again next year?
Entire BB program needs a makeover. Would love to see MR and MM back. TG, as long as we don’t need him to be a big scorer, but he is a great supplemental player. Of course Liam would be great to keep. Not that the other kids aren’t decent players. Maybe they would be better with different coaching?

Won't happen, but ...

Ware
Reneau
Mgbako
TWO NEW starting guards who can handle/shoot

I would want Galloway & Cupps as reserves, and one NEW big backup for Ware/Reneau and one NEW backup wing for Mgbako.

Everyone else needs to go elsewhere. EVERYONE ELSE.
(I want Dolson around at least for Cignetti's first season)

I’d take any of the eligible returning and new players plus a few new guards.

Otherwise, I’m fine with moving on from the coaches.

Reactions: bawlmer and bdhman
Entire BB program needs a makeover. Would love to see MR and MM back. TG, as long as we don’t need him to be a big scorer, but he is a great supplemental player. Of course Liam would be great to keep. Not that the other kids aren’t decent players. Maybe they would be better with different coaching?
I really don't think mm is nearly as good as some. All he has us his shot and that's it.

I really don't think mm is nearly as good as some. All he has us his shot and that's it.
Not true. His defense has gotten better as well as his drives to the basket. He’s a TF. It’s easy to see the potential there.

Not true. His defense has gotten better as well as his drives to the basket. He’s a TF. It’s easy to see the potential there.
He is ok but certainly not anything special and likely gone I guess it seems cause his parents always said he would only do one year in college. Maybe he will come back but without any serious major new guards it likely wont matter. Plus woodson would have to change how he plays the game.

He is ok but certainly not anything special and likely gone I guess it seems cause his parents always said he would only do one year in college. Maybe he will come back but without any serious major new guards it likely wont matter. Plus woodson would have to change how he plays the game.
Tough to say. Every 5 star thinks they should be 1 and done. He’s not ready for the next level, but maybe he goes anyway. Depends on his grading.

And yeah, it won’t matter unless we pickup a couple really good guards. We are sorely lacking at the 1 and 2. TG and MM should be playing the 3 mostly

Woodson has to go. No roster move is close to as important as a coaching change.
That's what I think too. Dolson actually acted quicker than I expected with Archie and Allen, so we'll see. I expect he'll be back and we'll have to endure another year of losing to prompt a change, but if I were Dolson I'd recognize this is the most important position under his control and dictates his future. Round up the boosters who agree, come to an agreeable resolution and ask Woody to say it's too much of a strain on his family life and that's what he wants to spend his time focusing on to save face, and most importantly find the guy you believe is the future at IU and make it happen. The cost of another year of listlessness with the bball program at IU is higher than paying Woody off and paying for a new coach.

Sparks,Newton,Gunn,Leal,Mgbako and Banks. Needs- point guard,center, 3 shooting guards/SFs. Stephens and Rayford as bench players. Not sure MGbako comes back. Clean house of these coaches.

Sadly…..Crean’s first year was a helluva lot more entertaining than this. The program is completely broken.
That was hands down the most embarrassing season in the history of Indiana basketball. Sitting 9th in the conference this year is not so good- but it's a hell of a lot better than 2009.

Sparks,Newton,Gunn,Leal,Mgbako and Banks. Needs- point guard,center, 3 shooting guards/SFs. Stephens and Rayford as bench players. Not sure MGbako comes back. Clean house of these coaches.
That’s a list for sure, but I’m not sure I agree. Sans Mgbako, the others are end of the bench guys. And not very good ones at that.

1st and foremost, and exponentially more important than any players…I want a coaching staff that effectively teaches their players solid, reliable and repeatable, winning styles, habits, skills, etc… If Woody and his staff could somehow figure out how to do that…love it, let’s go! But at this point I really think we’ve seen what kind of coach Woody is going to be. And it won’t ever be what I laid out above. So, at this point, I hope he’s gone. And if that means his entire staff is gone, including Cheaney, Hulls, etc… They’ve been in the building, we’re getting worse. So they’re a part of that.

So I hope they make a move and bring in a staff that will do those things I initially laid out.

Player wise…

Any of them that love IU, and would be open to busting their ass and accepting what an effective coaching staff would ask/demand of them…I’d love for any/all of them back.

That’s not realistic, so practically, I’d like to see the following core guys stick around, with a new coach.

Malik, Payton, Kaleb, Jakai, Trey, Anthony L, Gabe. It’s not realistic to think Liam would stick with IU, but obviously would love it if he did. Then the new guy brings in 3-4 starter level guard/wings.

Let Woody go the day after the season ends. Target Matta and Beard. Hire one of them as soon as is possible. Get to work on staff, late HS kids, and portal kids.

IU could turn it all around by next year. With the right approach and the right new coach.

I don't know what Cheaney and Hulls have been asked to do, or what the rules allow for them to do as far as direct player instruction, so I don't know if they should go or not.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I don't know what Cheaney and Hulls have been asked to do, or what the rules allow for them to do as far as direct player instruction, so I don't know if they should go or not.
If he’s treated them like Fife and Matta, I can’t imagine either is too thrilled to be there. They are plenty smart enough to know they’re being lumped in with the other dudes in suits and sneakers. Not a great crowd to be seen with.

Reactions: bbafficionado
If he’s treated them like Fife and Matta, I can’t imagine either is too thrilled to be there. They are plenty smart enough to know they’re being lumped in with the other dudes in suits and sneakers. Not a great crowd to be seen with.
How do we know they’re “smart enough”? Just because I love each of them as players at IU, doesn’t mean they can effectively teach the game of basketball to today’s kids.

Woodys older, but I feel similarly towards him. GREAT IU player. It feels good to have him in the building. But it’s looking obvious that he isn’t capable of teaching players these days how to play consistent winning basketball. So I don’t want him leading IUs program. The longer he’s at IU, the more his legacy gets stained.

And I don’t want Jordy or Calbert to ever be viewed similarly.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
How do we know they’re “smart enough”? Just because I love each of them as players at IU, doesn’t mean they can effectively teach the game of basketball to today’s kids.

Woodys older, but I feel similarly towards him. GREAT IU player. It feels good to have him in the building. But it’s looking obvious that he isn’t capable of teaching players these days how to play consistent winning basketball. So I don’t want him leading IUs program. The longer he’s at IU, the more his legacy gets stained.

And I don’t want Jordy or Calbert to ever be viewed similarly.
I don’t either. Love them all as great Hoosier players. But the ship is sinking and the band is still playing.

Certainly ready for a new coach and staff. I would like Ware, MM, and Malik back. Maybe only Malik is a possible return from that group. Hopefully Liam comes, but I’m not optimistic. Bring back TG, Leal, Sparks, Gunn. That’s it. Hopefully, the new coach brings some of his own and does very well in the portal. We need a dynamic pg and multiple athletic good shooting wings and guards.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT