ADVERTISEMENT

Where can Jews

I'm thinking the definition conservatives are using is "anyone that disagrees with any of the decisions or actions by Israel" given how much the word is used against anyone that dares to say a negative thing about Israel.

That said, people saying "We are Hamas" and supporting that group are idiots or at least misguided. But I also don't think that Hamas makes all Palestinians bad. It is similar to Nazis are bad but that didn't make all Germans bad idea back during WWII.

But Hamas being bad doesn't make all of Israel's actions against Palestine acceptable either. I'm all for Israel getting the people responsible for Oct 7..not for innocent people dying in the process.

This isn't black and white like everyone wants to pretend.
I don’t believe Israel is right on all issues. I for sure don’t believe they need to be exterminated like Hamas believes. The Palestinians chose Hamas. Kick them out and maybe they can make peace like the Saudis are trying to do. Sign
on to the Abraham Accords and see what happens.

Reactions: DANC
go to college? Have the democrats and their Gen Z thugs at eastern colleges determined the answer?
I don't know who "started it"...but you do realize that this far left, woke, lefty BS that you hate wouldn't be as powerful or as influential as it is today, without their MAGA counterparts on the other side being so powerful and influential.

I happen to think the far right and far left parts of each party, are largely ridiculous. This is the latest example of it on the left. There have been as many, or more, examples of ridiculousness from the MAGA group.

I would say each of them still represent such a small part of their respective parties, that it isn't a big deal... But, they are dictating that our 2024 Presidential Election will feature the two worst Presidents in the history of our great country. So, while its easy for reasonable Republicans and Democrats to just shake their head and say things like "they aren't the ones in charge"... they're sure influencing some pretty important decisions.

I wish both groups would shut the hell up, go home, and let the adults take back over.

I don’t believe Israel is right on all issues. I for sure don’t believe they need to be exterminated like Hamas believes. The Palestinians chose Hamas. Kick them out and maybe they can make peace like the Saudis are trying to do. Sign
on to the Abraham Accords and see what happens.

70% of Palestinians chose Hamas or at least that is how many still support them according to a recent poll. Blaming all Palestinians would be like blaming all Americans for choosing Trump in 2016, although trump never had that high of a percentage of supporters (didn't win popular vote ever).

I'm guessing there is a lot of brainwashing/propaganda going on there just like there is here.

• Haha
Can you please define "anti-Semite" and "anti-Semitism" please? Serious question, because "Islamaphobia" is the adopted phrase by arabic muslims and it appears to be mirror for whatever definition is applied to anti-semitism.

I think it would be helpful for the discussion IMO.
IMO, political gamesmanship in our country has resulted in Americans taking sides in the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians with the result being antisemitic and Islamophobia incidents increased dramatically in 2023.

Watchdogs in this article report the following...

The number of reported antisemitic incidents in the U.S. increased by 388% in the four weeks after October 7, according to the Anti-Defamation League, or ADL, while the number of Islamophobic incidents in the U.S. increased 216% during the same timeframe, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR.

When biased hate speech takes over and Americans take sides based on their politics, law and order along with rationale debate disappears.

Did any of your parents tell you? You are who you hang out with. It’s funny and insane at the same time that neither side believes anything. This IS more than just protesting and it’s not just all anti-Semite's. It’s all the above. If you don’t think some overreaction isn’t needed then you are freaking biased. This needs to get squashed.

IMO, political gamesmanship in our country has resulted in Americans taking sides in the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians with the result being antisemitic and Islamophobia incidents increased dramatically in 2023.

The number of reported antisemitic incidents in the U.S. increased by 388% in the four weeks after October 7, according to the Anti-Defamation League, or ADL, while the number of Islamophobic incidents in the U.S. increased 216% during the same timeframe, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR.

When biased hate speech takes over and Americans take sides based on their politics, law and order along with rationale debate disappears.
You said it better than I ever could.

Reactions: stollcpa
I don't think any serious discussion is the intention.
You’re wrong.

BTW You guys mocked Trump for saying there were some “good people” at Charlottesville. What’s the difference between that and what’s going on now?

You’re wrong.

BTW You guys mocked Trump for saying there were some “good people” at Charlottesville. What’s the difference between that and what’s going on now?
there aren't good people in a white supremacist group.

I don't know who "started it"...but you do realize that this far left, woke, lefty BS that you hate wouldn't be as powerful or as influential as it is today, without their MAGA counterparts on the other side being so powerful and influential.

I happen to think the far right and far left parts of each party, are largely ridiculous. This is the latest example of it on the left. There have been as many, or more, examples of ridiculousness from the MAGA group.

I would say each of them still represent such a small part of their respective parties, that it isn't a big deal... But, they are dictating that our 2024 Presidential Election will feature the two worst Presidents in the history of our great country. So, while its easy for reasonable Republicans and Democrats to just shake their head and say things like "they aren't the ones in charge"... they're sure influencing some pretty important decisions.

I wish both groups would shut the hell up, go home, and let the adults take back over.
I don’t disagree. Unfortunately we were told Biden and his group would result in the adults being back in charge. That turned out to be a lie.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
there aren't good people in a white supremacist group.
Everyone in the protest weren’t members of that group.

How do you label a protester that marches along side another protester waving a Hamas flag shouting “death to Israel” “death to America”?

Is Biden claiming the Hamas supporters (there's only a handful -- there's a difference between supporting Hamas and supporting the Palestinian cause) are fine people?

How do you label a protester that marches along side another protester waving a Hamas flag shouting “death to Israel” “death to America”?
Again..for the people in the back. You are who you hang out with.

technically you said progressive education system which implies political bias.

The education system that more often than not gets its marching orders from conservative state legislatures who have no educational background. Not only that but now getting their funding taken away in support of a voucher system that allows for private schools to stay private (be their own boss) but get public funds anyway. This in turn leads public schools requesting more funds from taxpayers. And round robin we go not only not fixing the problem but making it worse. Then you have a fight over what gets taught in schools because apparently teaching facts that might not be politically favorable or shed certain people in a positive light is an issue now.
I put "progressive" in quotes because there is nothing progressive about our education system.

When you remove the foundation of grammar (words are how we understand our reality), logic (how to organize those words in a way that is consistent) and rhetoric (how to formalize an actual argument), you don't have much of an education, let alone progress.

And the result are strawman arguments like the one you made about vouchers.

Reactions: jet812

it was the white supremacists group vs people protesting against them.

those were the sides.

Eh not you and not Stoll but I'd bet large sums of money some of the guys feigning concern for our Jewish brothers on here do.
Jews are so integrated into our lives I don’t think about it. Classmates. My best friend. Two off my partners. Every firm I’ve ever worked at. I can’t imagine not having their backs. And that counts for everyone I know re jews

I don’t disagree. Unfortunately we were told Biden and his group would result in the adults being back in charge. That turned out to be a lie.
That was the "hope", and in many ways he hasn't lived up to that. Most knew he wasn't a very good candidate though...yet he was voted for more than any candidate in history. The desire for solid, sound decision making, AND the desire just to vote Trump out of office, created that. Part of the main goals were accomplished, Trump was "out"...but the sound decision making, hasn't worked out too well, largely.

Why are either of these idiots on this years ballot?

There were/are real issues with our government and leadership that led to Trump and MAGA becoming politically powerful.

Once they became as powerful and influential as they did, that allowed the far left some breathing room to start gaining attention and power. Fires need oxygen, MAGA and WOKE are the oxygen for each other.

Now, per Hoot1, the accepted discourse from these groups is spreading over in to things that really shouldn't be "political". Covid, Science, foreign affairs... Many of the dominating issues in the last 6-7 years, historically, would have had more unifying elements to them than further driving wedges.

Trump/Maga and then Michael Moore/AOC/Woke are all equally to blame. But now we're at a stalemate. None of them will, or probably should, give an inch. Trump proved the loudest person wins.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I put "progressive" in quotes because there is nothing progressive about our education system.

When you remove the foundation of grammar (words are how we understand our reality), logic (how to organize those words in a way that is consistent) and rhetoric (how to formalize an actual argument), you don't have much of an education, let alone progress.

How is Hickory's post about vouchers a strawman argument?

Jews are so integrated into our lives I don’t think about it. Classmates. My best friend. Two off my partners. Every firm I’ve ever worked at. I can’t imagine not having their backs. And that counts for everyone I know re jews
I don't get it. I was raised under the strict principle that everyone is equal and "you're not better than anyone". The golden rule and "love thy neighbor" and "my brothers keeper" were taught and actually followed. They weren't just nice quotes to hang on the wall of a kitchen.

But I'm also not naive to the fact that antisemitism in this country runs deep. way deeper than some misguided college kids. It's disingenuous to say otherwise. This is not an honest conversation. It's a troll job.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
That was the "hope", and in many ways he hasn't lived up to that. Most knew he wasn't a very good candidate though...yet he was voted for more than any candidate in history. The desire for solid, sound decision making, AND the desire just to vote Trump out of office, created that. Part of the main goals were accomplished, Trump was "out"...but the sound decision making, hasn't worked out too well, largely.

Why are either of these idiots on this years ballot?

There were/are real issues with our government and leadership that led to Trump and MAGA becoming politically powerful.

Once they became as powerful and influential as they did, that allowed the far left some breathing room to start gaining attention and power. Fires need oxygen, MAGA and WOKE are the oxygen for each other.

Now, per Hoot1, the accepted discourse from these groups is spreading over in to things that really shouldn't be "political". Covid, Science, foreign affairs... Many of the dominating issues in the last 6-7 years, historically, would have had more unifying elements to them than further driving wedges.

Trump/Maga and then Michael Moore/AOC/Woke are all equally to blame. But now we're at a stalemate. None of them will, or probably should, give an inch. Trump proved the loudest person wins.
Trump won in 2016 as a vote against the political class in DC. He’s probably going to win again in 2024 as the political class has failed again the last four years. He’s going to make even larger inroads with black and brown people. Add to that democrats running many more Jews to vote republican and he will be hard to beat.

• Haha
Trump won in 2016 as a vote against the political class in DC. He’s probably going to win again in 2024 as the political class has failed again the last four years. He’s going to make even larger inroads with black and brown people. Add to that democrats running many more Jews to vote republican and he will be hard to beat.
Very well might be right. And the MAGA and WOKE factions will continue to expand. Which sucks, and practically, ends up hurting all of us. Same thing can be said if Biden wins...sucks.

Trump is going to help Trump. If those efforts end up helping others, that's great for them. But to have really any expectation that they will, pretty naiive. Just like Biden/Harris and such leaders on the Dem side, they're going to help their focus and efforts as well.

Reagan, either Bush, Clinton, Obama...anyone like any of them would be so huge for our country right now. The whole thing sucks.

How is Hickory's post about vouchers a strawman argument?
Because that wasn't the argument I was making. He made up his own argument so he could knock it down.

Strawman argument -
A strawman argument is a type of logical fallacy where someone distorts or exaggerates another person’s argument, and then attacks the distorted version of the argument instead of refuting the original point. This fallacy is often used to give the appearance of refuting an argument when, in reality, the person has not actually engaged with the original ideas.

This fallacy can take many forms, such as oversimplifying or misrepresenting an opponent’s position, or creating a caricature of their argument that is easier to attack. By using a straw man, someone can avoid addressing the actual arguments and concerns of their opponent, and instead focus on attacking a weakened or distorted version of those arguments.

• Haha
Because that wasn't the argument I was making. He made up his own argument so he could knock it down.

Strawman argument -
A strawman argument is a type of logical fallacy where someone distorts or exaggerates another person’s argument, and then attacks the distorted version of the argument instead of refuting the original point. This fallacy is often used to give the appearance of refuting an argument when, in reality, the person has not actually engaged with the original ideas.

This fallacy can take many forms, such as oversimplifying or misrepresenting an opponent’s position, or creating a caricature of their argument that is easier to attack. By using a straw man, someone can avoid addressing the actual arguments and concerns of their opponent, and instead focus on attacking a weakened or distorted version of those arguments.
The OP started with a straw man.

Well your reasoning wasn't clear given that sometimes people use the word "progressive" to mean democrat

I didn't say you were arguing for vouchers so your attempt to label it a strawman argument is ludicrous. I was saying a few reasons that I believe have led to the struggles of the education system. It's called a discussion. Do you need a jump to conclusions game mat?

To borrow a phrase from Snoke in the Star Wars Universe "Darkness Falls and Light to meet it".....The balance to the Force.

Each set of extremist behavior by one force is always met with an equal rise in the opposite extreme force.

I don't know why we pay so much attention to the crazies. Balance has always been a much needed goal. Apparently we have discarded that notion and catered to minority. A democratic republic is a majority rule tempered by minority rights--i.e., rights guaranteed by the constitutional republic. Pretty sure the constitution does not give a constitutional right to be a crybaby and have everything you want. You can be a crybaby, but like an infant crying in the crib, sometimes you just have to let them cry through it a bit and get over it.

Unfortunately, there is no more debate anymore--nothing to do with this particular issue--it is simply the way it is --a very unhealthy transition period that has been going on for about 20 years or so, with exponentially growth since social media becoming the sole news outlet for the under 30 crowd combined with Fox on one side and CNN/MSNBC on the other side who are prone to only present one side of things. That's a travesty.

Well your reasoning wasn't clear given that sometimes people use the word "progressive" to mean democrat

I didn't say you were arguing for vouchers so your attempt to label it a strawman argument is ludicrous. I was saying a few reasons that I believe have led to the struggles of the education system. It's called a discussion. Do you need a jump to conclusions game mat?
Well Democrats have commandeered that term. It wasn't exactly something I had to invent. So let's elevate the conversation a bit. Vouchers are fruit, what is the root?

Why has our educational system failed? I gave my root earlier, that it lies in an education system that was founded by an avowed Communist, we then imported a bunch of Communists during WW2 (they were the enemy of Hitler), and seeded them at Brandeis, Columbia, Berkely, and Yale. And then the Marxist rot spread over the next 60-80 years and here we are.

Well Democrats have commandeered that term. It wasn't exactly something I had to invent. So let's elevate the conversation a bit. Vouchers are fruit, what is the root?

Why has our educational system failed? I gave my root earlier, that it lies in an education system that was founded by an avowed Communist, we then imported a bunch of Communists during WW2 (they were the enemy of Hitler), and seeded them at Brandeis, Columbia, Berkely, and Yale. And then the Marxist rot spread over the next 60-80 years and here we are.
That's not the beginning of a discussion. that's the beginning of your propaganda.

How do you feel about this slogan?

“From the River to the Sea Palestine Will be Free”​

Bad time for a joke but whenever I read that slogan all I can think of is "TO THE WINDOW! TO THE WALL! TO SWEAT DRIP DOWN MY..."

... skeet skeet.

Reactions: T.M.P.
What did I say that was not truthful?
HMT, not saying your remarks about Communist professors influencing education at Brandeis, Columbia, Berkely, and Yale since WWII aren't without some truth.

Nevertheless, having a hard time believing it and would appreciate some proof to support your position.

What did I say that was not truthful?
It's really hard to answer that when it's so loaded, unsupported, and untethered to any reasonable conversation.

You defining straw man as if that were the confusion is another example.

That's not remotely the stuff of reasoned conversation and speaks to most folks' here inability to play well with others.

It's really hard to answer that when it's so loaded, unsupported, and untethered to any reasonable conversation.

You defining straw man as if that were the confusion is another example.

That's not remotely the stuff of reasoned conversation and speaks to most folks' here inability to play well with others.
Again, a lot of words, not addressing the point.

What point was untruthful?

Again, a lot of words, not addressing the point.

What point was untruthful?
Not a lot of words. Fewer than you used, for that matter.

You dropped a loaded diatribe out of the blue without any support and refuse to acknowledge why anyone might ask what you're talking about. Now you're doubling down and digging in without offering anything more.

Again, not playing well with others

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT