ADVERTISEMENT

When was the last time you got in a fight?

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
I took my son's dog, who I'm petsitting, for a walk Friday and I walk past a row of duplex type townhomes and there's a family out on their porch with a small dog. As I pass, the door to the unit next to them opens and a couple steps out with a big German Shepherd on a leash. As soon as it sees the small dog, it sprints and pulls away from the lady and runs over, and it sounds like dogs fighting (I can't see because it's behind a hill and some landscaping). Suddenly the shepherd is running towards us, and my son's dog is nice, but she meets aggression with aggression and she's small for her breeds (chow and shepherd), but she's a badass. I now have a 90 lb shepherd running towards us and I'm thinking I'm going to have to break up a pretty wicked dog fight in another second or 2. I look up and the couple is just standing there watching this, and I get pissed and shout: "are you going to come get your dog?" The guy is a big ol' redneck (one you start to see when you live in the South) and literally his first words are "You want a piece of me?" and he comes steaming over and gets in my face. I'm 56 and thought my fighting days were well behind me, but I can see this guy is probably going to insist on a fight. We stood nose to nose for a couple minutes me basically saying "just come get your dog under control and don't stand there like a lump!" and eventually I felt he wasn't going to take a swing and walked away. It was about 8pm on a Friday, so I'm guessing he was liquored up. I'll be curious to see if he tries to start something again, because I walk by there several times a week.

Closest I've been to a fight in many years, and honestly I hoped I was past that, but I could feel the blood and nerves start to boil up. So, when was the last time you were in a fight and what would it take for you to throw hands again? I'd defintely do it if someone was disrespecting a lady, or physically threatening kids, etc.... I honestly don't remember the last time I was in a fight, but it would have been in my mid 20s I would guess.

Last edited:
Other than a little "ho-ho-ho hold me back" pushing in a pick up basketball game in college, I think it was 7th or 8th grade.

Last time I thought I might have to fight was last year on a golf course.

I took my son's dog, who I'm petsitting, for a walk Friday and I walk past a row of duplex type townhomes and there's a family out on their porch with a small dog. As I pass, the door to the unit next to them opens and a couple steps out with a big German Shepherd on a leash. As soon as it sees the small dog, to pulls away from the lady and runs over, and it sounds like dogs fighting (I can't see because it's behind a hill and some landscaping). Suddenly the shepherd is running towards us, and my son's dog is nice, but she meets aggression with aggression and she's small for her breeds (chow and shepherd), but she's a badass. I now have a 90 lb shepherd running towards us and I'm thinking I'm going to have to break up a pretty wicked dog fight in another second or 2. I look up and the couple is just standing there watching this, and I get pissed and shout: "are you going to come get your dog?" The guy is a big ol redneck (one you start to see when you live down in the South) and literally his first words are "You want a piece of me?" and he comes steaming over and gets in my face. I'm 56 and thought my fighting days were well behind me, but I can see this guy is probably going to insist on a fight. We stood nose to nose for a couple minutes me basically saying "just come get your dog under control and don't stand there like a lump!" and eventually I felt he wasn't going to take a swing and walked away. It was about 8pm on a Friday, so I'm guessing he was liquored up. I'll be curious to see if he tries to start something again, because I walk by there several times a week.

Closest I've been to a fight in many years, and honestly I hoped I was past that, but I could feel the blood and nerves start to boil up. So, when was the last time you were in a fight and what would it take for you to throw hands again? I'd defintely do it if someone was disrespecting a lady, or physically threatening kids, etc.... I honestly don't remember the last time I was in a fight, but it would have been in my mid 20s I would guess.
Yeah, I'm in my mid 50's and I haven't had a fist fight since my early 20's, and that was with a good friend/coworker and we are still good friends today. I'm entirely too old for that shit now, but have found myself in a couple of spots like you just did in the last decade and unsurprisingly both instances it was a random Methbilly in New Castle Indiana.

Reactions: kkott
I've posted it here somewhere in the last year or so, but 6 or 7 years ago I got into a fight at work with my boss at the time. Would have put me in my late 40s. Prior to that it was during a pickup hoops game shortly out of school when I was in living in S. Bend.

I've always tried to avoid a fight whenever possible.

Glad you didn't have to get into one. We don't heal as quickly at this age and you really don't know the level of crazy and training within the other guy.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
I've posted it here somewhere in the last year or so, but 6 or 7 years ago I got into a fight at work with my boss at the time. Would have put me in my late 40s. Prior to that it was during a pickup hoops game shortly out of school when I was in living in S. Bend.

I've always tried to avoid a fight whenever possible.

Glad you didn't have to get into one. We don't heal as quickly at this age and you really don't know the level of crazy and training within the other guy.
see what happens when you mess with the boss's wife?

I took my son's dog, who I'm petsitting, for a walk Friday and I walk past a row of duplex type townhomes and there's a family out on their porch with a small dog. As I pass, the door to the unit next to them opens and a couple steps out with a big German Shepherd on a leash. As soon as it sees the small dog, it sprints and pulls away from the lady and runs over, and it sounds like dogs fighting (I can't see because it's behind a hill and some landscaping). Suddenly the shepherd is running towards us, and my son's dog is nice, but she meets aggression with aggression and she's small for her breeds (chow and shepherd), but she's a badass. I now have a 90 lb shepherd running towards us and I'm thinking I'm going to have to break up a pretty wicked dog fight in another second or 2. I look up and the couple is just standing there watching this, and I get pissed and shout: "are you going to come get your dog?" The guy is a big ol' redneck (one you start to see when you live in the South) and literally his first words are "You want a piece of me?" and he comes steaming over and gets in my face. I'm 56 and thought my fighting days were well behind me, but I can see this guy is probably going to insist on a fight. We stood nose to nose for a couple minutes me basically saying "just come get your dog under control and don't stand there like a lump!" and eventually I felt he wasn't going to take a swing and walked away. It was about 8pm on a Friday, so I'm guessing he was liquored up. I'll be curious to see if he tries to start something again, because I walk by there several times a week.

College days for me...hope it never happens again.

Youth basketball/AAU tournaments do provide a potential opportunity for me to get pulled into something though. And I'll have those many weekends over the next few years. There was a "good one" recently where a player got a technical foul for very effectively pantomiming jacking off and blowing his load to an opposing teams fan. This player's fans thought it was the other teams fans "fault" for provoking him. That degraded into fists being thrown at the end of the game. My sons 8th grade team was warming up on a nearby court, and us dads had to rush to protect them from these high quality fans pulling them into the fight. To which, a couple of us very nearly got punched just because we were standing there.

I avoid fight situations like the plague now a days. But I would probably be down to throw some hands if my family or friends were being threatened or severely disrespected. But again, there would be attempts to get away from the situation before it got to that.

I could see my wife talking me into a fight though at some point. She's got some Italian blood in her, and can get pretty feisty if her family or friends are threatened.

Reactions: Indianaftw
I kicked a guy with cleats after sliding hard into me in softball. I was lucky he didn’t jump up and annihilate me. He was much larger. But honestly, no. Meek by nature.

High School. Came close a few of times in college, but was never the instigator. Got dragged into some other peoples shit a couple times, but my friends weren’t frat boys and were normally “in the right.”

Came close several times post college in pick up basketball games across Indy and then Chicago. Mostly Indy to be honest. People care way more ha.

Damn, what kind of fool let’s a poorly trained German Shepard run around without a leash. Maybe consider moving or wear a steal toe boot with a retractable knife like in Road House

High School. Came close a few of times in college, but was never the instigator. Got dragged into some other peoples shit a couple times, but my friends weren’t frat boys and were normally “in the right.”

Came close several times post college in pick up basketball games across Indy and then Chicago. Mostly Indy to be honest. People care way more ha.

Damn, what kind of fool let’s a poorly trained German Shepard run around without a leash. Maybe consider moving or wear a steal toe boot with a retractable knife like in Road House
Honestly, the dog ended up being a sweetheart, and I felt bad for him (assuming it was a him. I still don't know my son's dog's reaction to other dogs well enough, but I think even a "friendly female" who got up too close and towered over her, would get her going, but she seems to accept friendly males OK), because this guy was just a gigantic douche. Actually, he belonged perfectly as a Road House extra in the "bad gang". I'm pretty tall (6'3" 195) but this guy was my height and I'd guess 250 with a scruffy beard and requisite ballcap. I'd guess he's used to using his anger and size to intimidate people and I don't think he's used to someone standing their ground. I didn't want to fight and took more shit than I'd have liked, but I stayed calm and didn't give ground.

I love my 'hood and my walks and I'm not changing a thing. I've walked by their house several times since and he was out once loading a car, but didn't say anything. No idea if he saw me. The thing is down here, you can assume a guy like this (and his fiancee.... ugh!) are packing. I don't want to get a gun, but I feel like I need to because there are so many folks running around where I live with them.

PS, and their dog was on a leash, but it pulled away from the woman as soon as it took off for the other dog. And that, I can understand. I just can't understand not moving at all to go bet it back when it starts walking towards a strange dog on a public sidewalk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indianaftw

One time at band camp.......

Last real fight was in a bar in Blue Ashe, OH. I was 27ish and with a group of buddies & wives on a golf outing. Two older guys (early 50's), who we didn't know, were out dancing with all our wives and having a good time. None of us cared and thought it was great as we sat around and told old stories and drank beers together. After a while, the girls come back over to our table and the guys follow. We're all joking around and all is good, until one of the girls tells her husband that they're starting to "creep them out". No big deal, we just let them know we'll be leaving soon and the "dancing is over". At that point, one older guy starts getting real touchy with the girls (including my wife) and makes the comment that they're just getting started. One of my buddies says to him to back off and to quit putting his hands on our wives, the fun is over. Right then, the dude looks at me and says what the F***K are you going to do about it as he puts his arm around my wife. A minute later, I'm in a full nelson by a bouncer and have knocked him out and the other is bleeding from his head. I literally lost my shit and KO'd both of them. Honestly, barely remember that 30-60 second time, just went nuts. The bartenders let us stay and dragged those two out.

My wife was so pissed at me that it ruined the entire weekend. I promised her I wouldn't do it again (although there have been a few close calls, similar to yours) and that's been the end of my "Fighting" days (of which there were very few). The one thing I do think of, I'm now the dude pushing 50 and probably still feel like I could handle myself....next time I'd probably be the guy laying on the ground when some young dude decides to let loose!

The last time I had a fight was in January, 1975. It was right before the start of the second semester at IU. I was 21 and was a junior and my girlfriend had just broken up with me. When I told my friend across the hall at McNutt, he said I needed to go drinking. He said he would drive.

Ironically, I saw a girl I graduated from high school at the second or third bar we went to that night. After chatting with her, I went to get her a drink because it seemed like she was going to start dating me.

Once I arrived with her drink, I noticed another guy trying to pick her up. I interrupted them and he took a swing at me. Needless to say, I began pummeling him. However five of his fraternity brothers came at me from all directions and I wound up beating up every one of them.

The next morning, I had sore places all over my body when I woke up around noon. Because I was drunk during that fight, I didn't remember what caused the sore places on my body.

When I saw my buddy across the hall, he explained to me what happened and said it surprised him because he didn't know I was capable of beating up six guys at once. He also said he was never taking me anywhere again.

I have not had a fight since that incident. However, I have had some confrontations with some jerks. By the way, the girl who broke up with me before that fight has been my wife since August, 1976. In other words, we got back together a few days after the incident.

Reactions: sdhoosier and kkott
The last time I had a fight was in January, 1975. It was right before the start of the second semester at IU. I was 21 and was a junior and my girlfriend had just broken up with me. When I told my friend across the hall at McNutt, he said I needed to go drinking. He said he would drive.

Ironically, I saw a girl I graduated from high school at the second or third bar we went to that night. After chatting with her, I went to get her a drink because it seemed like she was going to start dating me.

Once I arrived with her drink, I noticed another guy trying to pick her up. I interrupted them and he took a swing at me. Needless to say, I began pummeling him. However five of his fraternity brothers came at me from all directions and I wound up beating up every one of them.

The next morning, I had sore places all over my body when I woke up around noon. Because I was drunk during that fight, I didn't remember what caused the sore places on my body.

When I saw my buddy across the hall, he explained to me what happened and said it surprised him because he didn't know I was capable of beating up six guys at once. He also said he was never taking me anywhere again.

I have not had a fight since that incident. However, I have had some confrontations with some jerks. By the way, the girl who broke up with me before that fight has been my wife since August, 1976. In other words, we got back together a few days after the incident.
Haha you were probably on the pot.

I searched for the term "sand bar" and came up empty. So disappointing.

Reactions: sdhoosier and kkott

you don't ever feel sore places on your body after you golf with your Dentist friend?

oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

Jr. High School. The neighborhood scumbag was pushing me around (I was a scrawny kid) and we wrestled a bit. Got to our feet and I full out took a swing at him and popped him in the jaw. He swung back and hit me in the eye. That was it. I ended up with a broken hand (and a cast) and a black eye. He suffered no ill effects.

Many years later I read in the newspaper that his house burned down and his family was killed. I felt bad for the family I guess, but he was a shit head.

I’m calling bullshit. Didn’t you more recently punch out some juveniles after they slit your tires?

Never really been in a fist fight as I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Closest thing I can remember was mid 70's in Bloomington... I was with my girlfriend (future ex wife) and a couple of buddies and their girlfriends. We had been drinking at the Bluebird and decided to walk across the street to Barzo's Blitz (I think was the name...owned by Carl Barzilauskas IU footballer).

We were definitely overserved as per usual and as we were walking in to Barzo's some guys said something to our girls... one thing led to another and there was a lot of pushing and shoving and yelling but that was it.

On second thought, maybe I was one of the fraternity guys that McNutty beat up....

challenging-me-pc-principal.gif

• Haha
I’m calling bullshit. Didn’t you more recently punch out some juveniles after they slit your tires?
The guy didn't do anything to my tires. He did it to the tires of his girlfriend's father. He later got into the face of his girlfriend's father and was going to beat him up. When I saw that I went walking down the street to stop it because the girl's father had heart problems. When the guy saw me, he jumped into his vehicle and fled.

I will not tolerate bullies!

The guy didn't do anything to my tires. He did it to the tires of his girlfriend's father. He later got into the face of his girlfriend's father and was going to beat him up. When I saw that I went walking down the street to stop it because the girl's father had heart problems. When the guy saw me, he jumped into his vehicle and fled.

I will not tolerate bullies!
The ****ing McNutt stare down made the bully soil himself. Dude has superpowers.

Never really been in a fist fight as I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Closest thing I can remember was mid 70's in Bloomington... I was with my girlfriend (future ex wife) and a couple of buddies and their girlfriends. We had been drinking at the Bluebird and decided to walk across the street to Barzo's Blitz (I think was the name...owned by Carl Barzilauskas IU footballer).

We were definitely overserved as per usual and as we were walking in to Barzo's some guys said something to our girls... one thing led to another and there was a lot of pushing and shoving and yelling but that was it.

On second thought, maybe I was one of the fraternity guys that McNutty beat up....

challenging-me-pc-principal.gif

Funny thing…..not sure its the same place, but Barzo’s Blitz might’ve ended up as the Peanut Barrel in later years, and I distinctly remember watching Bo Barzilauskas hanging and playing music at the PB. Assuming that was his son. My recollection was that he was just ok as a singer songwriter.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

High school. A rich punk threw a beer bottle at my friends car. We found him parked along the street we cruised. While my friend confronted the punk, his friend started to help his friend out so I evened up the numbers. He didn't like getting punched and decided to let his friend get his ass kicked. It wasn't much of a fight but was the last time I threw a punch.

On a side note, A short time later, rich punk left his TA parked with the T Tops out and the windows rolled down. I wonder if he discovered we pissed in his car before or after he sat in the driver's seat.

2010 when I stopped amateur boxing after 18 years as a kid to adulthood. Now I'm +32 pounds since then an cardio 25% of what it used to be. Complete turn off to me now and always trained to prevent.

Very glad you didn't get into it. Do you remember that video from years ago where a young man is causing trouble on the bus and he has words with an old man. The young man swings at him and the old man hits him two or three times and the kid goes down. It turned out the old man had been a boxer back in the day. At my age I would not want to get into a fight because as Hooky said you don't heal as well. I've got a bad back and neck so it could cause some serious problems for me. As you said there are times in which you would chance it if it was to protect someone else.
I think I was 16 when I had my last fight. It was with a guy who not a close friend but we hung out.

Hey bumpesses! Come get your stinking’ dogs!!!! Sums a bishes!

I was prepared for a serious fight one day back in 2001- 2002, so I was late 30s, pushing 40.

I was a chemist in a smallish pharmaceutical company and my boss had all of the worst aspects of an RMK personality but none of the RMK upsides (smarts, intelligence, leadership, planning, etc). He would berate PhD scientists, curse them out in loud red-faced tirades, when they merely showed data to prove that one of his hair-brained ideas had no legs. Lots of us were fed up with his bullying and intimidation. 4 years of college, 5-6 years of grad school, sometimes postdoctoral training, and some pea brain is going to yell and scream at you?

I interviewed for a better job as a research group leader, accepted it, and very publicly quit. Moreover, I sent an email to everyone in the company outlining his behavior, that same day. I had previously talked to HR and everybody knew and hated the guy, but would do nothing, since he was buddies with the CEO.

I then walked to his office to hand deliver my resignation letter. I expected him to be absolutely furious and maybe to even physically attack me. He was a little guy but liked to brag about his workouts and football/boxing past.

He yelled at me to shut his office door. I did, and I also at the same time pulled out a mini tape recorder, saying "just to let you know, for my protection, I intend to record every word that we say to one another"

He was taken aback, took my letter, asked me to get out, and mumbled something about how worthless I was.

Six months later he was fired for sexual harassment of coworkers, one of his other flaws.

I have occasionally looked him up as he has gotten fired from company after company. Harassment. Insider trading. Other issues. Sad. I hope that he passes before me though. He must be 15 years or so older than me. I will relish urinating on his headstone.

Last edited:
I got into a nice one at a lake outside Sturgis Michigan. We were at a lake house my buddy got passed down to him from his deceased grandma. Still had some of her stuff in there for memories etc. He wore one of her old straw hats to a little bar by the lake and some dude made a few comments about it. Of course my buddy tries to swing on the guy and misses (lol) the other guy tackled him and I looked at his buddy and we made eye contact and he said if you jump in I'm jumping in. So I soccer kicked the guy in the face that was on top of my buddy and about 3 seconds after that I caught a haymaker that broke my nose.

• Haha
Reactions: mike41703 and kkott
So I soccer kicked the guy in the face that was on top of my buddy
This reminds me of a fight that I witnessed, but not directly involved in. A guy was harassing someone that I sort of knew through another friend, we'll call him Bill for the story.

The dude is dogging Bill all night as they ran into each other on one of those small town "cruising circuits" that everyone did on a Saturday night like something out of American Graffiti. Bill has finally had enough and in front of the guy's peeps, calls him a cork soaking icehole who sniffs little girl's bike seats or something to that effect.

Dude walks over to Bill and starts sticking his finger in his chest and running his pie hole. Bill says if you wanna go, let's stop talking. At that point the guy backs up and bends down to untie his shoes, letting the whole world know that he's a karate man and when the shoes are off, he's gonna unleash feet of fury. Bill decides that he'd rather win than fight fair, so while the guy is still working on the laces, Bill does his best impression of Dempsey hitting the record breaking 60 yarder. I've never seen so much blood literally fall out of a dude's face before and his nose was spread from cheek bone to cheek bone.

This reminds me of a fight that I witnessed, but not directly involved in. A guy was harassing someone that I sort of knew through another friend, we'll call him Bill for the story.

The dude is dogging Bill all night as they ran into each other on one of those small town "cruising circuits" that everyone did on a Saturday night like something out of American Graffiti. Bill has finally had enough and in front of the guy's peeps, calls him a cork soaking icehole who sniffs little girl's bike seats or something to that effect.

Dude walks over to Bill and starts sticking his finger in his chest and running his pie hole. Bill says if you wanna go, let's stop talking. At that point the guy backs up and bends down to untie his shoes, letting the whole world know that he's a karate man and when the shoes are off, he's gonna unleash feet of fury. Bill decides that he'd rather win than fight fair, so while the guy is still working on the laces, Bill does his best impression of Dempsey hitting the record breaking 60 yarder. I've never seen so much blood literally fall out of a dude's face before and his nose was spread from cheek bone to cheek bone.
When did McNutt step in and whip everyone's ass?

• Haha
Reactions: All4You
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT