ADVERTISEMENT

What's the weather forecast for Saturday?

Well, ordinarily I would completely agree with you and I was among the most vocal in regard to how the Spring Game was approached be the Athletic Department , which is why I started sounding the alarm on here about a potential venue change yesterday. If you're going to do something that drastic you (the AD) need to make an announcement about it as early as is practical so everyone affected can make plans accordingly.

Now, once again, in my mind anyway, this is not a concern about fan discomfort (sitting thru some rain {no big deal if you're prepared}) or even temporary game stoppages (as long as its less than 1&1/2 cumulative).

My personal concern is a 3 hours and up game stoppage due to lightning in the area that ultimately results in a complete game suspension (leaving us with a gaping hole in our schedule)...

There is a very real separate issue of public safety in regard to flooded roadways, but that's not what's being discussed (but certainly is something the AD would have to take under consideration)...
I sat through the long weather delay last year. I'd be okay if they had to resume the game on Sunday. I don't know if UVA is leaving after the game or spending the night in the area. That would be the biggest issue.

I would even be okay if they finished the game indoors with Don Fischer doing play by play with a cell phone and someone live streaming the game.

Latest rain probability is 100%. :(

Drove through a touch of it up in Indianapolis earlier today. Light roadway flooding was already occurring (even up on I70). Someone hydroplaned under a semi-trailer over on the near southwest side. Had traffic backed up for a couple of miles. Hopefully, Virginia's bus was stuck in it...

If this keeps up it could make for some really squirrelly driving conditions in the Bloomington area (it's already hitting down there too), particularly in any dips in the roadway and/or low areas.

Plan your egress route out of the stadium well (avoid the low spots or you'll need scuba gear)... Night driving thru high water rarely ends well...

Reactions: iulb
On the bright side its only 100%

Yeah..., at least there's no longer any guess work involved.

I checked the Monroe County Emergency Management site for any info on areas to avoid (roads prone to flooding)... Zilch, zip, nada, nothing. Evidently that's one of those "we'll get to you eventually" outfits... The completely reactive type... Much like the AD's office. Must be something in the water down there...

My guess (and that's all it is) is that the portion of the road about a half mile from where North Walnut connects with 37 will end up under water. Probably best to try to connect with 37 northbound off of 45/46... Like I said, that's just a guess...

Last edited:
Latest rain probability is 100%. :(

Drove through a touch of it up in Indianapolis earlier today. Light roadway flooding was already occurring (even up on I70). Someone hydroplaned under a semi-trailer over on the near southwest side. Had traffic backed up for a couple of miles. Hopefully, Virginia's bus was stuck in it...

If this keeps up it could make for some really squirrelly driving conditions in the Bloomington area (it's already hitting down there too), particularly in any dips in the roadway and/or low areas.

Plan your egress route out of the stadium well (avoid the low spots or you'll need scuba gear)... Night driving thru high water rarely ends well...
To be clear, not much rain here yet at all. Just sprinkles and nothing now at 8p. Know coming but Indy has had much worse,

Reactions: 76-1
To be clear, not much rain here yet at all. Just sprinkles and nothing now at 8p. Know coming but Indy has had much worse,

This isn't the show. The front and remnants of Gordon wont come through until tomorrow. Indy is close to the front but Gordon is still in Arkansas. Hope it ends up being much ado about nothing but we wont know that for about 24 hours.

The radar had Bloomington buried under a big yellow blob back between 4- 5pm... but it moved east rapidly evidently...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapCli...-86.5348&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Whoever told em there was no thunderstorms in the forecast didn't bother to consult with NOAA beforehand... Those red bars at the bottom all indicate probable thunderstorms...

The rest of the bad news is: it appears that the bulk of the serious rain is forecast to fall between 5pm and 11pm...

Try to find a Crimson wetsuit to go with your white snorkel if possible. We want you to look good for the cameras.

//Bring a 16"x8" white piece of cardboard wrapped in clear plastic with your screen name on it if you go. I want to see how many of you maniacs show up and sit through it...//;)

I'm embarrassed to say I've talked myself out of going. Don't mind a little damp discomfort but I'd rather not navigate back home thru high water at night...

Just call me: Careful in my Old Age... As several of you can imagine I've been called worse.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 82hoosier
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapCli...-86.5348&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Whoever told em there was no thunderstorms in the forecast didn't bother to consult with NOAA beforehand... Those red bars at the bottom all indicate probable thunderstorms...

The rest of the bad news is: it appears that the bulk of the serious rain is forecast to fall between 5pm and 11pm...

Try to find a Crimson wetsuit to go with your white snorkel if possible. We want you to look good for the cameras.
Def not looking good. I’ll make the call whether or not I’m going tomorrow afternoon. If storms are in the forecast I’m out. Not sitting through delays. Though I am craving some Hoosier popcorn.

Def not looking good. I’ll make the call whether or not I’m going tomorrow afternoon. If storms are in the forecast I’m out. Not sitting through delays. Though I am craving some Hoosier popcorn.
Just now started coming down hard here in Bton, 10:15 pm.

Hey..., there's still always a chance the weather folk will team up and make my concerns look silly...

Last edited:
I'm embarrassed to say I've talked myself out of going. Don't mind a little damp discomfort but I'd rather not navigate back home thru high water at night...
Same here, and I'm bummed. Got comped really good tickets, parking pass, VIP tent food & drink, the whole works. I'm a big fan, but I'm sorry, I'm not going to go out in a deluge.

I was stuck in that traffic on 70 and went right past that semi and car. I had to go to Terre Haute and pick up my son for the weekend. there was a couple of times when someone splashed water up on my windshield and could not see at al. Luckily no one was right behind me because had to put my brakes on because I could not see in front of me.

Same here, and I'm bummed. Got comped really good tickets, parking pass, VIP tent food & drink, the whole works. I'm a big fan, but I'm sorry, I'm not going to go out in a deluge.

That is sickening...

Unfortunately NOAA is usually very accurate.

The local weather folk usually ratchet it up a couple of "end of the world" notches to keep their viewers glued to the TV set but NOAA is usually even keel...

I was stuck in that traffic on 70 and went right past that semi and car. I had to go to Terre Haute and pick up my son for the weekend. there was a couple of times when someone splashed water up on my windshield and could not see at al. Luckily no one was right behind me because had to put my brakes on because I could not see in front of me.

I could understand how it happened to him. I hit a couple of spots up on the elevated section of 70 near downtown that I never dreamed would have standing water and had to let off the gas and just guide the thing...

Maybe you should reread your posts to realize it’s just rain! So what?!?! Have a great time and be inconvenienced a bit or the other choice is to feel sorry for all the $ you spent and be miserable at home. To me, I’d rather enjoy despite weather

Maybe you should reread your posts to realize it’s just rain! So what?!?! Have a great time and be inconvenienced a bit or the other choice is to feel sorry for all the $ you spent and be miserable at home. To me, I’d rather enjoy despite weather

I've been out in lightning storms with rain and sleet hitting me in the face on more than one occasion and (aside from sweating out the nearby lightning strikes) had a great time doing so... Rain isn't an issue for me...

It's not the weather I'm concerned about, it's the drive home. I didn't detect an 1"&1/2 of standing water in the late afternoon that put me into a couple short hydroplaning situations today... I know I won't be able to detect that sort of thing driving home in the dark.

I've been out in every type of weather there is and driven in the same but I always weigh the risks with the rewards. Losing a few bucks while not being at the stadium versus needing a new vehicle after I've slid into something or someone is a headache I'll pass on and a relatively easy decision to make...

I've always had what seems like an entire Wing of Guardian Angels looking out for me... I try not to purposely make them work overtime...

I applaud those who do show up and hope the Forecast is dead wrong...

If Glass were smart he would make the game FREE for all students and university employees. Send out a social media blast all day -- a mass email to all students. It's his only chance of making the stands appear even remotely full.

Otherwise, I expect to see approximately 2,000 fans in the stadium tomorrow night, if we're lucky.

Last edited:
I suspect that many of the fans here that are predicting tomorrow to be something straight out of Genesis chapters 6-9, are going to use the time on Saturday to change out their snow tires so that they will be fully prepared for the first ice storm to be able to make it to Assembly Hall. Lol.

I suspect that many of the fans here that are predicting tomorrow to be something straight out of Genesis chapters 6-9, are going to use the time on Saturday to change out their snow tires so that they will be fully prepared for the first ice storm to be able to make it to Assembly Hall. Lol.

The red bars indicate thunderstorms from 2pm thru 1am; the timeline above that shows 4 inches of rain from noon to midnight, 3 inches of it falling primarily between 5pm-11pm; above that the graph shows a steady wind of 13mph with gusts of 18 between 6pm to 8pm. The only pleasant part of that Forecast is the temperature, with a low of 61..., of course if one is foolish enough to wear cotton and let it get wet in those wind speeds it's actually possible to become hypothermic but with rain gear on that's highly unlikely...

Perfectly playable conditions. I always enjoyed playing in those types of conditions as a kid...The only real negative I can see is the drive to and from the stadium. Shouldn't be any problem at all as long as your vehicle has at least 12 + inches of ground clearance...

Here's hoping you find it (the drive) laughably entertaining without harming yourself or anyone else...

Last edited:

Good idea! Thanks for reminding me.

Reactions: YOTHN
Sorry, my grandma said I didn't have enough sense to come in out of the rain and I've been trying to prove her wrong ever since.

I didn't spend the money. That's the problem. I can't afford to go to the ball games. These were comped to me from my FedEx rep. I get chances like this once a year at best.

Sorry, my grandma said I didn't have enough sense to come in out of the rain and I've been trying to prove her wrong ever since.

I didn't spend the money. That's the problem. I can't afford to go to the ball games. These were comped to me from my FedEx rep. I get chances like this once a year at best.
Ah. I see. Well hope you can make it to more games soon!

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The rain is coming down heavily in Bloomington now. It's been non-stop since I woke up at 7 am.

And we can expect it to rain all day. Just saw on the IU Football Twitter page that no umbrellas are allowed inside Memorial Stadium. With the wind expected to pick up this afternoon and evening, it's going to be very cold for fans who actually do show up.

Parking lots will be a disaster within a few hours.

I will be there. I just stood out there watching a cross country meet this morning. Wasn’t awful. Wind picked up a bit. That will be the worst part tonight. Rain is rain.

Just don’t want my popcorn to get soggy. That is my main dilemma.

Reactions: IUgradman
The rain is coming down heavily in Bloomington now. It's been non-stop since I woke up at 7 am.

And we can expect it to rain all day. Just saw on the IU Football Twitter page that no umbrellas are allowed inside Memorial Stadium. With the wind expected to pick up this afternoon and evening, it's going to be very cold for fans who actually do show up.

Parking lots will be a disaster within a few hours.
Current evening forecast temperature is 60, according to weather.com

It’s just rain. Lightning isn’t even projected.

That's simply not true.

NOAA has been projecting a chance of thunderstorms (that's lightning my friend) throughout game time for two days.

Lightning may not occur but to say that it isn't projected simply isn't true...

Flash flood warning issued until 645. 1-3 inches fallen since last night with 2-3 more expected per NWS alert.

Reactions: CC Mac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT