ADVERTISEMENT

What's the point in recruiting freshman anymore

They've played alongside a generational talent and arguably the most dominant college basketball player in the last 30-40 years for the past two seasons. If you don't understand that I'm not sure what else to tell you. Loyer can't create his own shot or defend to save his life. And if you're asking if I thought the staff should have recruited Smith over Hood-Schifino, the answer is hell no every single time. I think both Smith and Loyer have maxed out their abilities at this level of basketball, except they won't be playing with a generational giant the next two seasons.
I will bet they finish higher than us in the BIG next year. Coaching still matters

no, you used them because they didn't work out. Monday morning QBing. And to counter I gave you a guy who was rated way lower than either of them, who became a 2 time NPOY and led PU to an NC appearance. OG, Vic and Juwann were in similar territory to Gunn and Banks; shouldn't have recruited them either? I get that the landscape has changed, but I think that for a team like IU it's still going to be valuable to recruit HS kids, and the portal. Primarily top 100 guys yes, but even on an exception basis, guys you believe can help or have a high ceiling and were overlooked. If we cast our lot to the portal every year, some years will be OK or good, but sometimes you're going to hit a clinker like last year where the parts don't mesh and it's bad and I think that's going to happen way more often than if we have a multi-tiered approach. Heck, it's kind of a moot point: just look at what UCONN's doing and do that. BTW, they have 3 HS commits, including McNeeley, but 2 other 4 star kids. So, that is a mistake, or are you just going to wait a few years and claim it was a mistake if some of those kids don't work?
All 3 of UConn's freshman are capable of contributing from day 1. I've been pretty clear on the type of high school kid IU should be recruiting going forward. If you haven't figured that out by now, that's on you. You're the only one talking about stars and rankings, not me.

It’s about building a team…IU has individual talent. It no team. Loyer fits on good teams and has a role.
Pretty much everything positive you've been gushing about over Purdue the last 2 years is attributed to Edey. Obviously Painter deserves credit for maximizing Edey. And for sure also developing him. But all this "team" BS you're talking about, like Purdue is some gold standard for the NCAA...is well, BS. Without Edey, they're Texas Tech.

IU has the capacity to be better than that, on a national scale. And that capacity means they can be better than that without some once in a lifetime guy like Edey.

There are a million questions on whether Woody is the guy to get us there...and a lot of those questions are whether he can actually coach the guys he gets to come to IU. And also if he knows how to build a high level team. But in less then 2 months, IU basketball has went from "we might not have any players"...to "we might have the best player in the conference at every position". That sounds like an absurd statement...but lay it out, there can be a case made for all of the likely starters. When you have that ability and capacity to reshape your roster with THAT level of talent, basically at any time, its absurd to fill your roster with guys you know you're going to have to develop for multiple years.

You just need to be really good at picking the right guys. Like Hurley has become. Like Self is. When and if IU has a coaching staff that figures that out, Purdue will be firmly placed in their rear view mirror, where they belong.

Pretty much everything positive you've been gushing about over Purdue the last 2 years is attributed to Edey. Obviously Painter deserves credit for maximizing Edey. And for sure also developing him. But all this "team" BS you're talking about, like Purdue is some gold standard for the NCAA...is well, BS. Without Edey, they're Texas Tech.

IU has the capacity to be better than that, on a national scale. And that capacity means they can be better than that without some once in a lifetime guy like Edey.

There are a million questions on whether Woody is the guy to get us there...and a lot of those questions are whether he can actually coach the guys he gets to come to IU. And also if he knows how to build a high level team. But in less then 2 months, IU basketball has went from "we might not have any players"...to "we might have the best player in the conference at every position". That sounds like an absurd statement...but lay it out, there can be a case made for all of the likely starters. When you have that ability and capacity to reshape your roster with THAT level of talent, basically at any time, its absurd to fill your roster with guys you know you're going to have to develop for multiple years.

You just need to be really good at picking the right guys. Like Hurley has become. Like Self is. When and if IU has a coaching staff that figures that out, Purdue will be firmly placed in their rear view mirror, where they belong.
Ok. What’s the excuse then when PU was a flook missed rebound on a FT From the final four without Edey? Edey was great but you are discrediting Painters ability to build a team.

Ok. What’s the excuse then when PU was a flook missed rebound on a FT From the final four without Edey? Edey was great but you are discrediting Painters ability to build a team.
You were also a bad call at the end of the previous S16 game from going home.

Reactions: HowaboutaFresca
Tip of the cap to an exceptional tournament performance by Carsen Edwards.....a Texas kid who carried a bunch of average Indiana players. Shocking.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility
They're Texas Tech, Creighton, Wisconsin... Painter is very good at building very solid basketball teams. I'm very envious of the success they've had recently. I still don't think IU should in any way, shape, or form, model their program after what Painter has done at Purdue.

The reason IU is still, despite decades of mediocre basketball, a more elite basketball program than Purdue is because of the success Knight had on a national scale. UConn, Kansas, Wright's Villanova teams... why shouldn't those teams be the goal for IU?

lol “you” smh.
Point is he has had teams in positions to do things without Edey.
Why don't you ever mention FDU, St. Peter's, or North Texas? The blown 12 point lead with 5 minutes left against UALR? The blown 7 point lead against Cincy with less than a minute to go the year prior? Getting run off the floor by VCU with two All-Americans? It took him 20 years with a player that you'll likely never again see in college basketball to get past the E8. You give him way too much credit.

Why don't you ever mention FDU, St. Peter's, or North Texas? The blown 12 point lead with 5 minutes left against UALR? The blown 7 point lead against Cincy with less than a minute to go the year prior? Getting run off the floor by VCU with two All-Americans? It took him 20 years with a player that you'll likely never again see in college basketball to get past the E8. You give him way too much credit.
Yet, what has Iu done with “superior” talent? PU has won 4 of the last 8 BIG titles

lol I’m not a PU fan. Jesus.
Also he would have played for us…hell we had Cupps and Galloway most of the year.
If you are a true IU fan, it would seem that you would post something about them without including the name PU. You can claim anything you want, but the true colors are showing thru very clear.

I'm not the one claiming Indiana has been standard for college basketball the way you are with Painter/Purdue.
I’m saying they are doing it the way RMK and how a majority of IU fans want IU to do it. They are far from the gold standard but when iU has sucked and Purdue has been good, it’s been by Painter beating IU at its old game.

If you are a true IU fan, it would seem that you would post something about them without including the name PU. You can claim anything you want, but the true colors are showing thru very clear.
I do post about IU. This is about recruiting and building a roster. PU has kicked IU ass in the department lately

I’m saying they are doing it the way RMK and how a majority of IU fans want IU to do it. They are far from the gold standard but when iU has sucked and Purdue has been good, it’s been by Painter beating IU at its old game.
RMK maximized what could be done under the rules of college basketball while he coached. He would have been very active in the portal, I'm sure. His 87' title team doesn't happen without Smart and Garrett, both transfers.

RMK maximized what could be done under the rules of college basketball while he coached. He would have been very active in the portal, I'm sure. His 87' title team doesn't happen without Smart and Garrett, both transfers.
Ok. We will see if this approach works by Woody. I will gladly eat crow if this method is superior to PUrdue and iu takes its place back ahead of PU.

Ok. We will see if this approach works by Woody. I will gladly eat crow if this method is superior to PUrdue and iu takes its place back ahead of PU.
You think Woody is capable of developing and molding an elite team? I kinda don't. So he's doing what is likely to be the most effective for him, at IU.

Next coach...lets hope for someone with Hurley/Self capabilities...and not hope for Painter.

Purdue is solid. Better on the court results than IU in recent years. But IU can be more.

You think Woody is capable of developing and molding an elite team? I kinda don't. So he's doing what is likely to be the most effective for him, at IU.

Next coach...lets hope for someone with Hurley/Self capabilities...and not hope for Painter.

Purdue is solid. Better on the court results than IU in recent years. But IU can be more.
Iu should be more, just hasn’t.

I think you just have to recruit everyone, and fill your roster with the best combination of talent and experience that you can. And be very selective for guys that fit your program.

You shouldn't ignore the portal, you shouldn't ignore HS players.

IF...big fat IF...you had to choose one pool to recruit from, I think recruiting proven college players from the portal is, without question, the better route. But that's a faulty approach. You don't have to zero in and focus on anything in particular.

The goal should be to ALWAYS be talented and experienced. There is more than one way, recruiting wise, to achieve those things.
If you can't raise any NIL money...you can only focus on the portal a bit.

I will bet they finish higher than us in the BIG next year. Coaching still matters
You say whatever gets you attention instead of contributing what you actually believe. You are a troll. The only way to deal with your type is to force you to put your money where your mouth is. $10k that IU finishes higher than Purdue next year.

You could make the argument that to get a freshman is not advantageous to your program today. Just let the mid majors coach up the freshman or sophomore and then they are ready to make it up to the big leagues. I would absolutely hate to be a mid major coach today who is investing so much time and energy to young players and then have them leave. Now there are guys who are in major conferences who move down to the mid major. I get that, but are they malcontents, lazy or uninterested in getting better?

And IU hasn't sniffed an Elite 8 in 22 years...before that, 32 years. I am an IU fan that is fairly bitter about the negligence in steering the basketball program back to success....though that bitterness lost its bite some time ago. And frankly, when programs are more successful than IU, especially rivals, I don't blame them. Its still IU's problem to solve. We can criticize Purdue all we want. But we are looking up to do it.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
And IU hasn't sniffed an Elite 8 in 22 years...before that, 32 years. I am an IU fan that is fairly bitter about the negligence in steering the basketball program back to success....though that bitterness lost its bite some time ago. And frankly, when programs are more successful than IU, especially rivals, I don't blame them. Its still IU's problem to solve. We can criticize Purdue all we want. But we are looking up to do it.
What does that have to do with anything I've said? I'm not the one trying to claim Indiana is the gold standard of college basketball the way @bsmitty08 is with Painter/Purdue. This past season for Purdue with a generational talent was an anomaly in the 20 year tenure of Matt Painter.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility
They've had a handful of winnable Sweet 16 games in 22 years. So technically, they've "sniffed" an elite 8 a few times.

I'm just not sure why everyone is so fixated on Purdue. Our program needs to improve, a lot. Why pick a program to compare and emulate, that's never done what we've done 5 times...and want to do again...and have the resources to get the level of talent to do it again... It has been a long damn while...but Kansas, UConn, Jay Wright Villanova...that should be the comp, not Purdue.

They've had a handful of winnable Sweet 16 games in 22 years. So technically, they've "sniffed" an elite 8 a few times.

I'm just not sure why everyone is so fixated on Purdue. Our program needs to improve, a lot. Why pick a program to compare and emulate, that's never done what we've done 5 times...and want to do again...and have the resources to get the level of talent to do it again... It has been a long damn while...but Kansas, UConn, Jay Wright Villanova...that should be the comp, not Purdue.
Purdue's benchmark is IU. Why do you think they've been so loud the last 10 years?

I don't think I see being complimentary towards Purdue as "emulating". They did this year what we did 22 years ago. They were just as successful. I don't think any IU fan wants to be Purdue. I think we want to be successful again, and consistently in the NCAA tournament; as Purdue has proven. I can't remember the last time Purdue was "on the bubble". We've made it a habit thats hard to break. The comparisons are a consequence of there being room for only one program as the best in the state of Indiana. Right now, that is not really open for debate. I see the peer programs that are regularly mentioned (UK, UNC, Kansas, etc....) They have one thing in common that IU has lacked....They demand excellence in their basketball program or they find a coach who can provide it.

I don't think I see being complimentary towards Purdue as "emulating". They did this year what we did 22 years ago. They were just as successful. I don't think any IU fan wants to be Purdue. I think we want to be successful again, and consistently in the NCAA tournament; as Purdue has proven. I can't remember the last time Purdue was "on the bubble". We've made it a habit thats hard to break. The comparisons are a consequence of there being room for only one program as the best in the state of Indiana. Right now, that is not really open for debate. I see the peer programs that are regularly mentioned (UK, UNC, Kansas, etc....) They have one thing in common that IU has lacked....They demand excellence in their basketball program or they find a coach who can provide it.
They were 16-15 just a few years ago with a losing conference record and would have missed the tournament had one been held. They followed it with 3 embarrassing losses in the NCAAT before finally breaking through with a generational giant. Again an anomaly for Painter and the Purdue program.

Probably responded to the wrong poster then...there have been multiple people that have called for "Purdue like" approaches to running IU's program. That's like running the Yankees or Red Sox like the Devil Rays. Maybe it could work, but its completely unnecessary. Use the resources that you have, just use them better than you have been.

What does that have to do with anything I've said? I'm not the one trying to claim Indiana is the gold standard of college basketball the way @bsmitty08 is with Painter/Purdue. This past season for Purdue with a generational talent was an anomaly in the 20 year tenure of Matt Painter.
Not saying they are the gold standard at all but they sure have done a better job running the program than IU

One issue I have is how much love does a player have for his team and university if he is just, "bought"? It is kind of like the Hessian soldiers in the Revolutionary war. A bunch of farmers with muskets defeated them because they were just paid soldiers. I am half german by the way so I can comment on the fallacy of the Hessian soldier.
I have to wonder about academics as well. These kids all jump from school to school and we all know not all schools have all the same majors.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
I have to wonder about academics as well. These kids all jump from school to school and we all know not all schools have all the same majors.
When I was a student at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago we had a guy whose name was Jeremy. He was a good dude, but I remember that he was a transfer student from Liberty University. He was a Junior there but not all of his classes transferred to Moody so he was a freshman again. I thought, "wow".

Reactions: Indyhorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT