ADVERTISEMENT

What the hell are schools supposed to do to stop the war in Gaza

for sure misfits but as near as i can tell you are talking about maybe 100s of people at massive universities. it's a tiny group. so as the OP asks what are schools to do. pretty tricky situation. and if i'm a parent who paid what USC costs and they canceled graduation i'd be apoplectic
And those poor kids are the ones that had Covid high school graduations cancelled.

"Violent mob"? Can anyone list the violence conducted by the Dunn Meadow participants?
Well. Are you going off of clips from the protest side? If you are you might want to go down there. The police backed away today to avoid confrontation and guess what happened? Now it’s a full on riot with Palestine students and supporters attacking/fighting Israel students. These aren’t your typical peace and love protests.

why would they be taken into custody? Seems like you just make martyrs out of people.
Heres my guess after watching that video. Someone got out of line with a cop and the cop took him down, then others tried getting the cops off and the dominos fell.

Well. Are you going off of clips from the protest side? If you are you might want to go down there. The police backed away today to avoid confrontation and guess what happened? Now it’s a full on riot with Palestine students and supporters attacking/fighting Israel students. These aren’t your typical peace and love protests.
I wonder how many are actual students.

If you can, post these goofy kids fighting each other.

Brad, the genocide definition I put forward was...

The deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.

This definition doesn't say all the Palestinians or even members of the armed Hamas group.

Seems to me that tens of thousands of Palestinians is a large number.

Granted the Israeli government makes a good point by reminding us that in their effort to destroy Hamas there are innocent Palestinians being killed. The government blames Hamas for this by stationing themselves within the Palestinians along with reminding us that in urban warfare it can be difficult to avoid killing bystanders.
Hoot, every single war involves your bolded language. Is every single war a genocide campaign?

There is no evidence that Israel meets the 2nd part of your posted definition— either the aim to destroy that nation or group—based, in part, on the reasons I provided. If Israel aimed to destroy the entire group or “nation” of Palestinians, that aim would have been accomplished before the end of 2023. If Israel was deliberately trying to kill innocent civilians, why is it telling them where they are attacking and informing them of safe places to go?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Are you there now? Who started said fighting, any video of the start? As of last night there was no reported violence.

IUb in the headlines again for the wrong reasons

Those people will be retelling this story until their dying day, how they bravely walked towards the jack booted fascist police and made them retreat!

I wonder if any oil paintings will be commissioned to commemorate such bravery at the legendary Battle of Dunn Meadow?

Those people will be retelling this story until their dying day, how they bravely walked towards the jack booted fascist police and made them retreat!

I wonder if any oil paintings will be commissioned to commemorate such bravery at the legendary Battle of Dunn Meadow?
Danger abounds. In the background mark and Marv walking on the sidewalk towards walnut to redeem their “bring a friend” microneedling promotion

An ice cream social at the other end of the meadow

Exactly. I'm thoroughly exhausted by the banality that the word "genocide" has become. Where was the islamic outrage over the Rwanda slaughter? Wait, there wasn't one because Rwanda over 90% Christian? Did I miss the aid and comfort that muslim nations contributed to Ukraine as thousands of Ukranians died and thousands of children were captured? Because I recall reading the Arab League's statement back in 2022 that did nothing more that arguably justify Russia's move. Did I miss those protestors on campus condemning the Arab League's hedging of bets to see who the winner would likely be? Where were the campus protestors when Salmon Rushdie spent years in hiding after the Satanic Verses came out? (A great book by the way). When he was attacked? How about the protests on campus when the Netherlands newspaper ran the cartoons of the Mohammed and the newspaper's staff was subjected to the islamic death sentence?

Don't get me wrong---two wrongs don't make a right, and the continuing Israeli response to date has likely done nothing more than raise two more generations of terrorists,l but I'm convinced that the island of misfit toys across various campuses know very little short of what social media tells them, and have become nothing more than sheep. Protest all you want--you have a constitutional right to do so. You don't have a right, however, to be an ignorant asshole. Yell, scream, and waive your flags, etc. I don't care because I'm not going to play with your toys no matter how much you scream.

I would leave you with Christopher Hitchens:

Damn I wish we still had him.

I don’t usually post here — but this is an interesting little story. I’m not sure if the cops overstepped or not. Hard to get a straight story and I wasn’t there.

It seems the key issue is erecting structures. Looking at other schools, these are not tents for sleeping — these encampments become little fortified bases. From these bases it’s easier for protestors to intimidate other students, shield their activities (an issue given outside agitators), fight against law enforcement, and generally cause serious problems. I would guess this is what IU feared and thus got aggressive to prevent — especially with professionals coming in from outside IU to amplify things. Of course I could be wrong.

For me — people can protest there (as dumb as they may or may not be) as long as they aren’t intimidating other students or building little fortified bases. And that seems to be what IU is allowing, at least from what I see online.

So as near as I can tell from all the videos, we are looking at group of young men and women who are misfits. I wonder how much they would support Islam if they were forced to wear a hijab, unable to vote, stoned for having sex with someone they aren't married to, and on and on. It is always the faux disenfranchised who never thinks things through. Reminds of the famous British traitor Kim Philby who defected to the Soviet Union and drank himself to death because he immediately figured out that the Soviet system sucked, but there was nowhere else for him to go.
Your “whiteness” is showing through, Mark. You don’t have the right to judge other cultures if you are a white man, dontchaknow.

Cultural relativism is a fundamental axiom of this particular religion, and you are an evil heretic for questioning it, no matter how logically inconsistent that sounds.

Danger abounds. In the background mark and Marv walking on the sidewalk towards walnut to redeem their “bring a friend” microneedling promotion

An ice cream social at the other end of the meadow
Marv hears some fighting might break out, so starts ordering one side to line up in a civil war formation and protect your flanks, men!

“ Wait right here. I’ll go home and get my Union general uniform. Don’t start without me!”

Marv hears some fighting might break out, so starts ordering one side to line up in a civil war formation and protect your flanks, men!

“ Wait right here. I’ll go home and get my Union general uniform. Don’t start without me!”
the troopers in riot gear probably exacerbate matters. i know you have to be safe but come on. my dad would go through that crowd without thinking twice at 75 in non prewashed levis and sort it out real quick. i remember my cops during the ferguson riots showed up like they were going to beirut and it made things worse. had to do it but still. it didn't get better until the rioters stole trains then the spirit of everyone involved improved. someone should set up a sno cone stand in the meadow

53f5760ab8b76.image.jpg

BvDJHgPIQAAWjr0.jpg:large

Reactions: BradStevens
I am curious, what oil? If not for university crackdowns would there have been any press? Do you think 40 people in Dunn Meadow would have any national press? The IDS would have covered it, maybe a secondary story in the HT. For reasons unknown, the university wanted this to be a major story.

You are a lawyer, any thoughts about concerns regarding IU changing policy immediately before a protest? Would that be considered "neutral"?

I smell the formulation of a conspiracy theory.

I drove by at 12:30. There were 50 or so in the protest, maybe 5 up on the sidewalk as counter protestors. No violence

I walk on campus at lunch almost every day, M-F. I sometimes will walk in the evening. I pass the protestors often. When they are marching, they usually hold their signs and are quiet on occasion they have the usual chants involving no money for genocide. At least when I have been around, I have seen nothing untoward.

No I don't particularly agree with them, yet. My attitude toward Israel is softening. At some point this has to end. They want to capture every member of Hamas. If that were the WW2 standard we would still be bombing Germany because there are WW2 war criminals that have never been caught. There was at least one Japanese war criminal that escaped capture (Tsuji).

Paliestinians screwed up. They elected Hamas, that (in my worldview) made Oct 7 a state declaration of war. That is why I stick with Israel, but even that has limits. I wouldn't favor continued bombing of Germany because war criminals were still on the loose. There is a time it has to end.

I drove by at 12:30. There were 50 or so in the protest, maybe 5 up on the sidewalk as counter protestors. No violence

I walk on campus at lunch almost every day, M-F. I sometimes will walk in the evening. I pass the protestors often. When they are marching, they usually hold their signs and are quiet on occasion they have the usual chants involving no money for genocide. At least when I have been around, I have seen nothing untoward.

No I don't particularly agree with them, yet. My attitude toward Israel is softening. At some point this has to end. They want to capture every member of Hamas. If that were the WW2 standard we would still be bombing Germany because there are WW2 war criminals that have never been caught. There was at least one Japanese war criminal that escaped capture (Tsuji).

Paliestinians screwed up. They elected Hamas, that (in my worldview) made Oct 7 a state declaration of war. That is why I stick with Israel, but even that has limits. I wouldn't favor continued bombing of Germany because war criminals were still on the loose. There is a time it has to end.
How close to campus do you live?

This is one of the areas where I truly see both sides. I think most of you know the house I was at was mostly Jewish, and I have talked to some of the girls who have relatives on campus. And they do have a tendency to be drama queens, but many of them say they are feeling intimidated and unsafe. None of them are down at the protests , but have passed by people with flags and things on their way to class. I’ll just be glad when students are gone and things will calm down.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Brad, if you define genocide as...

The deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.

Given this definition can't both the Palestinians under Hamas and Israel under Netanyahu be seen as practicing genocide ?

Aren't a good many of the college protestors actually against the genocide on both sides of the conflict as being inhumane rather blaming one side or the other?

Just asking.
The Israelis could have wiped out the Palestinians at any time over the past 50 years & have chosen not to, so no, they are not committing genocide, they are defending themselves. The Palestinians, on the other hand, have continued to support & put leaders in place whose stated objective is the kill all of the Israelites, if only they had the means. People have been conveniently & intentionally ignoring the motivations & intentions since day one. Some will say Israel just needs an excuse to wipe them out. Maybe, & the Palestinians keep trying to give them one. Palestinians have no more right to their own land, nation, etc. than any other groups that have been defeated. Native Americans, Mongols, Eskimos, take your pick all throughout history.

Last edited:
Are you there now? Who started said fighting, any video of the start? As of last night there was no reported violence.
Who cares who started it. Yes I’m in Bloomington today and 7th street is blocked for this crap. The shits been going on and brewing for weeks. The little comments directed towards each other. Does anyone not understand why the police presence is so thick? It’s because they have intel we don’t. They know that most are peaceful but you know how influential some camps can be. I don’t have a side but I will tell you this would get ugly regardless.

Who cares who started it. Yes I’m in Bloomington today and 7th street is blocked for this crap. The shits been going on and brewing for weeks. The little comments directed towards each other. Does anyone not understand why the police presence is so thick? It’s because they have intel we don’t. They know that most are peaceful but you know how influential some camps can be. I don’t have a side but I will tell you this would get ugly regardless.

Where is it blocked? At 12:30 I drove up Indiana, turned right down 7th, turned on Woodlawn, went to 17th then Griffey. I did not hit a block.

If they have Intel they didn't share it with BPD, the mayor said BPD asked not to be involved as enough deescalation had occured. They raised the tents twice, no weapons were found. Everyone arrested was a student, faculty, or alumni.

I saw a letter from the MSU president. They had a similar issue, tents. He went and met with them, he approved their request for the tents until tonight. We will see if the protestors live up to their end.

The Israelis could have wiped out the Palestinians at any time over the past 50 years & have chosen not to, so no, they are not committing genocide, they are defending themselves. The Palestinians, on the other hand, have continued to support & put leaders in place whose stated objective is the kill all of the Israelites, if only they had the means. People have been conveniently & intentionally ignoring the motivations & intentions once day one. Some will say Israel just needs an excuse to wipe them out. Maybe, & the Palestinians keep trying to give them one. Palestinians have no more right to their own land, nation, etc. than any other groups that have been defeated. Native Americans, Mongols, Eskimos, take your pick all throughout history.
They were all taken over by rich and powerful nations sure you would not see the problem,

And it’s going to be a shame if it even puts a dent into graduation ceremonies and I’d guess that’s part of the plan.

Where is it blocked? At 12:30 I drove up Indiana, turned right down 7th, turned on Woodlawn, went to 17th then Griffey. I did not hit a block.

If they have Intel they didn't share it with BPD, the mayor said BPD asked not to be involved as enough deescalation had occured. They raised the tents twice, no weapons were found. Everyone arrested was a student, faculty, or alumni.

I saw a letter from the MSU president. They had a similar issue, tents. He went and met with them, he approved their request for the tents until tonight. We will see if the protestors live up to their end.
Oh that’s interesting that everyone arrested was local. Good to know.

Don't they also want the remaining kidnapped hostages to be released? Doesn't that include 5 Americans still? I'm sure the likelihood of many being alive is pretty slim at this point.

And when people ask "Why would the University do this?" it is because of this. There have been several examples of how these protests have turned out across the country for them to observe before the virus spread here.

I said it in another thread, the school was smart. They planned ahead and threw a procedural roadblock in front of these troublemakers to make sure they couldn't occupy campus and harass students. When they refused to follow those rules the most belligerent got arrested. Thems the breaks.

And when people ask "Why would the University do this?" it is because of this. There have been several examples of how these protests have turned out across the country for them to observe before the virus spread here.

I said it in another thread, the school was smart. They planned ahead and threw a procedural roadblock in front of these troublemakers to make sure they couldn't occupy campus and harass students. When they refused to follow those rules the most belligerent got arrested. Thems the breaks.
People who believe in their cause, who believe that what they are doing is going to save lives or change the world, don't complain about being arrested. They welcome it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT