ADVERTISEMENT

What is the difference between Tom Crean and Matt Painter?

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
The difference is not flattering for Painter. Tom Crean went to a Final Four and recruited better, so there was at least some hope. However, at a certain point in time, you know what a coach is and what their ceiling is. I would say Crean's ability as a coach and ceiling were pretty clear after year 5. He had inconsistent good years and could make it to the Sweet 16: maybe, an anomaly occurs at some point. Once you know what a coach is and what their ceiling is, you either have to accept it or not accept it. Obviously, IU didn't accept it and canned him.

Matt has been at PU for 18 years, going on 19. It is crystal clear what Matt Painter is at this point in time as a coach and has been for years. He is flat out a bad NCAA Tournament coach, and his system does not work in the NCAA Tournament. His performance the past 3 years is arguably the worst in NCAAT history, and he routinely loses to mid-majors. Losing to FDU yesterday is the worst loss in NCAAT history. His system simply has a ceiling. Obviously, PU is ok with having a terrible NCAA Tournament coach. Sure, Matt can get some Indiana kids, really tall guys, and shooters and compete through the Big Ten season for the most part.

The question I have is why do they accept this? How can you keep Matt Painter after yesterday? I understand IU is historically a better program. But, look at Northwestern and Penn St. They are historically bad, and their fortunes are night and day different with their current coaches. Look at North Texas, St. Peter's, and now FDU: they don't have any advantages over PU and are beating them when it matters. The chicken or the egg argument doesn't really apply when you are a 1 seed losing to a 16 seed: it is the coach, not the program. PU fans really believe that they don't have an identity outside of Gene Keady, and they just accept it and set the bar low.

PU fans: you aren't going to see anything different from Painter, I promise. As somebody who suffered through Tom Crean, I know it all to well. I want to beat PU's ass at everything, and I will still say this: you can either accept the status quo or ask the universe for something better. Northwestern and Penn St. have asked the universe for something better: why can't you?

Last edited:
The difference is not flattering for Painter. Tom Crean went to a Final Four and recruited better, so there was at least some hope. However, at a certain point in time, you know what a coach is and what their ceiling is. I would say Crean's ability as a coach and ceiling were pretty clear after year 5. He had inconsistent good years and could make it to the Sweet 16: maybe, an anomaly occurs at some point. Once you know what a coach is and what their ceiling is, you either have to accept it or not accept it. Obviously, IU didn't accept it and canned him.

Matt has been at PU for 18 years, going on 19. It is crystal clear what Matt Painter is at this point in time as a coach and has been for years. He is flat out a bad NCAA Tournament coach, and his system does not work in the NCAA Tournament. His performance the past 3 years is arguably the worst in NCAAT history, and he routinely loses to mid-majors. Losing to FDU yesterday is the worst loss in NCAAT history. His system simply has a ceiling. Obviously, PU is ok with having a terrible NCAA Tournament coach. Sure, Matt can get some Indiana kids, really tall guys, and shooters and compete through the Big Ten season for the most part.

The question I have is why do they accept this? How can you keep Matt Painter after yesterday? I understand IU is historically a better program. But, look at Northwestern and Penn St. They are historically bad, and their fortunes are night and day different with their current coaches. Look at North Texas, St. Peter's, and now FDU: they don't have any advantages over PU and are beating them when it matters. The chicken or the egg argument doesn't really apply when you are a 1 seed losing to a 16 seed: it is the coach, not the program. PU fans really believe that they don't have an identity outside of Gene Keady, and they just accept it and set the bar low.

PU fans: you aren't going to see anything different from Painter, I promise. As somebody who suffered through Tom Crean, I know it all to well. I want to beat PU's ass at everything, and I will still say this: you can either accept the status quo or ask the universe for something better. Northwestern and Penn St. have asked the universe for something better: why can't you?
Painter’s pants fit?

Good post and agree with your sentiments: Crean couldn't get the program to the next level even though I think the fanbase owes him gratitude for bringing back a lifeless program. Even so, Crean hit a ceiling and could not overcome it or recruit out of it. Painter, similar to Crean, is predictable in what you can expect from him: a solid team, a good chance at a conference title, and no notable post season run. To get rid of Painter, Purdue will also have to change their AD. Their program is too comfortable where they are.

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
Good post and agree with your sentiments: Crean couldn't get the program to the next level even though I think the fanbase owes him gratitude for bringing back a lifeless program. Even so, Crean hit a ceiling and could not overcome it or recruit out of it. Painter, similar to Crean, is predictable in what you can expect from him: a solid team, a good chance at a conference title, and no notable post season run. To get rid of Painter, Purdue will also have to change their AD. Their program is too comfortable where they are.
PU's program may be inextricable from the Gene Keady system. I guess if yesterday didn't get Painter fired, probably nothing will. PU is a national joke right now, and that shouldn't sit well with the AD and fan base.

Reactions: indiana ed
Purdue is not a destination job. Especially now with NIL. Painter is doing the best with what he has. They have no guy who can just get one if needed.
Shouldn't they be able to beat mid-majors like FDU, St. Peter's, and the Mean Green when it matters? PU has every advantage over the mid-majors.

PU's program may be inextricable from the Gene Keady system. I guess if yesterday didn't get Painter fired, probably nothing will. PU is a national joke right now, and that shouldn't sit well with the AD and fan base.
Sit well? Probably not but do you think the AD is going to fire CMP after being #1 most of the year, has the POY, and won the B10 Conf & Tourney? Something tells me he won't. I can see the AD encouraging Painter to take the program to the next level but what AD is going to fire a coach in a similar situation and then lure a new hire? Especially since the new hire will constantly be looking over his shoulder. Painter isn't going anywhere for at least another year, probably two, and that is only if he falters badly in 24 or 25.

He has two distinct advantages over Crean, though. He knows how to keep his roster stocked so he doesn’t have down years, but that’s partly because Painter rarely recruits kids who will leave early and Crean could get the 5 star kids. Also, Painter can make it to the BTT title game and win it occasionally.

Painter is a very good B1G coach and if Purdue is happy winning occasional B1G championships and BTT titles, then they should keep him. But the fans and players will always want more. It’s funny how those B1G titles are diminished greatly when your team can’t do anything in the NCAA tournament. It’s like an Olympian who can win the US trials, but can never medal in the Olympics against the best. When it’s over for them nobody cares that they were US champions and they become forgettable. Nobody is going to remember or care that Purdue won the B1G this year except Purdue fans. And even for many of them those B1G accolades will seem hollow with these kind of endings.

Sit well? Probably not but do you think the AD is going to fire CMP after being #1 most of the year, has the POY, and won the B10 Conf & Tourney? Something tells me he won't. I can see the AD encouraging Painter to take the program to the next level but what AD is going to fire a coach in a similar situation and then lure a new hire? Especially since the new hire will constantly be looking over his shoulder. Painter isn't going anywhere for at least another year, probably two, and that is only if he falters badly in 24 or 25.
I would agree that PU likely retains the status quo and Painter is likely a lifer. I don't know if PU fires Painter even if he has 3 really crappy years. I just don't know how an AD and fan base totally accept NCAA Tournament futility for such a long time and are ok with being a national joke. Do they just stop fielding a team for the NCAA Tournament?

On the Assembly Call podcast last night Coach Tonsoni said if you got rid of Painter PU would stink for the next 20 yrs and IU would beat their butt. So as IU fans do we want the challenge of playing against good PU teams in conference or beat an inferior team? I personally like it when both IU and PU are good. It is more fun.

I would agree that PU likely retains the status quo and Painter is likely a lifer. I don't know if PU fires Painter even if he has 3 really crappy years. I just don't know how an AD and fan base totally accept NCAA Tournament futility for such a long time and are ok with being a national joke. Do they just stop fielding a team for the NCAA Tournament?
Ha! There might be a quiet change where CMP is forced to rearrange the deck chairs by getting a new Asst coach, one that can guide him with in game adjustments. I don't think their fanbase is taking this so lightly but the administration will until it affects them financially, meaning donations start to dry up because of this. Embarrassment fades but a drop in fundraising is remembered throughout the administration. Don't know who Purdue's big donors are but now would be the time for them to start placing some phone calls to the administration about how future year's donations may be redirected to other projects unless the bball program changes it's focus.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Shouldn't they be able to beat mid-majors like FDU, St. Peter's, and the Mean Green when it matters? PU has every advantage over the mid-majors.
We won last night.
They lost.
Epically.
No surprises.

Your self-awareness for a supposed professional individual (Barrister?) is embarrassing.
And likely evidence of a fraud.
You know about frauds correct?
Barrister??

Let the vulgarity and vitriol now flow from the second most West Lafayette triggered poster on this board……….Wait for it.
Barrister???
Doubt it based on vocabulary alone.

Your pajama pants have been struggling with that chub of yours for a solid 18 hrs now haven’t they. And nothing to do with our solid performance.
The most common meds say 4 hrs max and then trouble. Get ye to Urgent care.

Pathetic.

Go Hoosiers.

How many five stars does it take to screw in a lightbulb down in Lexington?

Dang, pretty harsh treatment for a coach of a team of 3 and 4 star juniors. Meanwhile, that squid at UK keeps turning out a maximal underachieving product darn near every season. Tom Crean can win games with John Wall and Anthony Davis too.

Better hope they don't start going to Purdue, because they are winning conference titles without any.

Reactions: aajohn2000
By all accounts Painter is a good guy; has been very successful on the side stage but not on the big stage. I think underneath the scowl, the same could be said about his predecessor, Gene Keady. Painter hasn’t elevated Purdue much if at all, but he’s hardly been a failure. Everyone wants to win big; few succeed. Maybe Purdue’s day will come, but last night’s game was the topper on national futility. Sure they won conference titles - that’s good. But who remembers conference standings of any team in the Final Four?

We won last night.
They lost.
Epically.
No surprises.

Your self-awareness for a supposed professional individual (Barrister?) is embarrassing.
Barrister??

Let the vulgarity and vitriol now flow from the second most West Lafayette triggered poster on this board……….Wait for it.
Barrister???

Your pajama pants have been struggling with that chub of yours for a solid 18 hrs now haven’t they. And nothing to do with our solid performance.

Pathetic.

Go Hoosiers.
I made a respectful, reasoned post. You attacked me and called names. A troll is as a troll does, and you are a troll. I would bet money this isn't your only user name. You are the triggered one, not me.

Last edited:
On the Assembly Call podcast last night Coach Tonsoni said if you got rid of Painter PU would stink for the next 20 yrs and IU would beat their butt. So as IU fans do we want the challenge of playing against good PU teams in conference or beat an inferior team? I personally like it when both IU and PU are good. It is more fun.
Coach Miller took IU into a death spiral and killed the rivalry. Without good IU & PU teams, there is no rivalry; there is just a second set of games with Northwestern South (prior to Collins). A good PU makes the rivalry and helps the B10 in the tournament. It's that last part where PU isn't holding up their responsibilities. They and Fran ("no one calls me Francis!") psycho coach.

We won last night.
They lost.
Epically.
No surprises.

Barrister??

Barrister???

Pathetic.

Go Hoosiers.
Are you trying to write in some bizarre form of Haiku ?

Painter’s Floor is much higher than Crean’s. Painter has an Elite 8 (1 point loss, to the eventual champion) and Crean has a Final 4 (which if I recall correctly they were drilled by 30). I call the ceiling a wash, especially given the consistency during conference season and conference tournament thrown in.

Painter feels like a Boeheim, Tony Bennet, etc that will need a “magical” year to get his Final 4 or Title. He likely needs to tweak his recruiting to mix in a few players that can be the 1:1 player to bailout at the end of the shot clock, but also accept the team concept when not required (Ivey was hit/miss with his buy-in). He also likely needs to modify his “big” recruiting to include more mobile, defense first atheletes, where he develops their offensive skill over time, but doesn’t need to sacrifice on defense. Those changes seem to be within the realm of possibility going forward. Crean would never deviate from his approach (see Georgia) which was proven to have plenty of flaws in it.

I’m happy Woody is IU’s coach as I believe he has an identity (Painter has a clear but different identity) for his teams (defense first), but also recognizes the need for individual exceptionalism (especially at the guard position - jhs, which was Crean’s exclusive focus) in order to be successful in the NCAA. In essence, demonstrating the best attributes of the other two coaches. Let’s hope it translates into tangible NCAA success.

Painter’s Floor is much higher than Crean’s. Painter has an Elite 8 (1 point loss, to the eventual champion) and Crean has a Final 4 (which if I recall correctly they were drilled by 30). I call the ceiling a wash, especially given the consistency during conference season and conference tournament thrown in.

Painter feels like a Boeheim, Tony Bennet, etc that will need a “magical” year to get his Final 4 or Title. He likely needs to tweak his recruiting to mix in a few players that can be the 1:1 player to bailout at the end of the shot clock, but also accept the team concept when not required (Ivey was hit/miss with his buy-in). He also likely needs to modify his “big” recruiting to include more mobile, defense first atheletes, where he develops their offensive skill over time, but doesn’t need to sacrifice on defense. Those changes seem to be within the realm of possibility going forward. Crean would never deviate from his approach (see Georgia) which was proven to have plenty of flaws in it.

I’m happy Woody is IU’s coach as I believe he has an identity (Painter has a clear but different identity) for his teams (defense first), but also recognizes the need for individual exceptionalism (especially at the guard position - jhs, which was Crean’s exclusive focus) in order to be successful in the NCAA. In essence, demonstrating the best attributes of the other two coaches. Let’s hope it translates into tangible NCAA success.
Tom Crean has more Final Fours than PU does since 1980: that includes Keady and Painter. I don't think PU can downplay any Final Four. Painter's Elite 8 is obviously an anomaly. Painter is way more likely to lose to a mid-major in the NCAAT than make it past the Sweet 16.

I wouldn't put Painter in the same sentence as Boeheim or Bennett: he has never reached those heights and never will. PU has never won a National Championship, Boeheim and Bennett have. Boeheim went to 5 Final Fours. If PU is going to do something at the national level and reach a Final Four, it will be with a different coach. Painter is what he is, and that includes being a bad NCAAT coach.

I made a respectful, reasoned post. You attacked me and called names. A troll is as a troll does, and you are a troll. I would bet money this isn't your only user name. You are the triggered one, not me.
Reasoned? Calling names.

Please brother.

Please.

Here’s a name —- Regional Sycophant.
Not a graduate you see Just regional.
Hence the vulgarity unbecoming your alleged “profession”.

Transparent as can possibly be.

Reasoned? Calling names.

Please brother.

Please.

Here’s a name —- Regional Sycophant.
Not a graduate you see Just regional.
Hence the vulgarity unbecoming your alleged “profession”.

Transparent as can possibly be.
I must have really triggered you or one of your multiple troll personalities.

You are free to believe whatever you want about what my profession is or is not, and you would be incorrect. My profession and me are not part of this thread and discussion. Feel free to make a reasoned, substantive post instead of attacking me and calling names: I don't think you are capable of it, but you are free to try.

"The question I have is why do they accept this? How can you keep Matt Painter after yesterday? I understand IU is historically a better program. But, look at Northwestern and Penn St. They are historically bad, and their fortunes are night and day different with their current coaches. Look at North Texas, St. Peter's, and now FDU: they don't have any advantages over PU and are beating them when it matters. The chicken or the egg argument doesn't really apply when you are a 1 seed losing to a 16 seed: it is the coach, not the program. PU fans really believe that they don't have an identity outside of Gene Keady, and they just accept it and set the bar low."

Really? How many BT Regular Season & Tournament Titles do Northwestern & Penn State have in BB? This year, Northwest made the NCAA Tournament for just the 2nd time in their history. Purdue was ranked #1 for a good part of this season & a #1 seed in this year's tournament. Has Northwestern or Penn State ever done these same things? Purdue is absolutely the better progam in BB over NU & PSU. How can you not see that?

"The question I have is why do they accept this? How can you keep Matt Painter after yesterday? I understand IU is historically a better program. But, look at Northwestern and Penn St. They are historically bad, and their fortunes are night and day different with their current coaches. Look at North Texas, St. Peter's, and now FDU: they don't have any advantages over PU and are beating them when it matters. The chicken or the egg argument doesn't really apply when you are a 1 seed losing to a 16 seed: it is the coach, not the program. PU fans really believe that they don't have an identity outside of Gene Keady, and they just accept it and set the bar low."

Really? How many BT Regular Season & Tournament Titles do Northwestern & Penn State have in BB? This year, Northwest made the NCAA Tournament for just the 2nd time in their history. Purdue was ranked #1 for a good part of this season & a #1 seed in this year's tournament. Has Northwestern or Penn State ever done these same things? Purdue is absolutely the better progam in BB over NU & PSU. How can you not see that?
The point is that Northwestern and Penn St. improved their programs with different coaches and were not afraid to ask the universe for something better. They could have just accepted the status quo, but chose not to.

Penn St. and Northwestern have performed better than PU in the NCAAT this year, which is a statement. I never said that Northwestern and Penn St. were at the same level as PU.

I must have really triggered you or one of your multiple troll personalities.

You are free to believe whatever you want about what my profession is or is not, and you would be incorrect. My profession and me are not part of this thread and discussion. Feel free to make a reasoned, substantive post instead of attacking me and calling names: I don't think you are capable of it, but you are free to try.
Are you asking me out?
No troll.
And what does defines a troll in your sphere?
Anyone who doesn’t assent to you and the other legacy posters??

Your sycophants here are not going to be pleased with you and I having a conversation with actual.
intonation and all of the things you so joyfully avoid. Maybe estate work is what you prefer. Stay behind that rail.

You have not been called a name.
You have been assigned an appropriate
label.
Different.
Fraud.

Get it?
I graduated.
I’m curious what cow up there told you to take a hike back in the day? Another couch for another day.

Trying to work on the pathology but getting exhausted.

The point is that Northwestern and Penn St. improved their programs with different coaches and were not afraid to ask the universe for something better. They could have just accepted the status quo, but chose not to.

Penn St. and Northwestern have performed better than PU in the tournament this year. I never said that Northwestern and Penn St. were at the same level as PU.
You're measuring NU & Penn State against PU based on their results from this year, ONE year. Yes, NU & PSU have improved programs & it still does not rise to the same level as what PU has achieved. One year of success does not make your argument here correct. If Collins & Shrewsberry move on to different schools next year, there's no way these two schools maintain where the are they right now.

Are you asking me out?
No troll.
And what does defines a troll in your sphere?
Anyone who doesn’t assent to you and the other legacy posters??

Your sycophants here are not going to be pleased with you and I having a conversation with actual.
intonation and all of the things you so joyfully avoid. Maybe estate work is what you prefer. Stay behind that rail.

You have not been called a name.
You have been assigned an appropriate
label.
Different.
Fraud.

Get it?
I graduated.
I’m curious what cow up there told you to take a hike back in the day? Another couch for another day.

Trying to work on the pathology but getting exhausted.
This thread and discussion is not about me, but you want to make it about me and pick a fight with me. A troll attacks others, calls names, and hijacks threads: sure sounds like you. You are adding nothing to the discussion and making yourself look stupid.

PU experienced the worst loss in NCAAT history yesterday, and I am merely talking about the state of PU's program: it is a free country, and I'm far from the only person talking about PU. If you don't like the thread and are triggered by it, then don't comment on it. If you don't like me, then ignore me. I'm guessing you are only here to troll, though.

Last edited:
You're measuring NU & Penn State against PU based on their results from this year, ONE year. Yes, NU & PSU have improved programs & it still does not rise to the same level as what PU has achieved. One year of success does not make your argument here correct. If Collins & Shrewsberry move on to different schools next year, there's no way these two schools maintain where the are they right now.
Once again, the main point is NW and PSU did not accept their status quo, pursued something better, and became better. They are even doing better than PU in the NCAAT this year. If NW and PSU can pursue something better, then PU definitely can.

Once again, the main point is NW and PSU did not accept their status quo, pursued something better, and became better. They are even doing better than PU in the NCAAT this year. If NW and PSU can pursue something better, then PU definitely can.
I simply do not agree with you about that. NU & PSU are not better than PU this year simply because they both won their 1st Round games & PU didn't.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Purdue is not a destination job. Especially now with NIL. Painter is doing the best with what he has. They have no guy who can just get one if needed.
Wrong question. The question to ask is how are Painter and Crean alike?

The answer is that their teams played their best basketball at the beginning of the season and not in March.

Everybody is still chasing 1976, and those that do, can't. They get the beginning of the season OK, but lose the magic close to the end of the season.

I simply do not agree with you about that. NU & PSU are not better than PU this year simply because they both won their 1st Round games & PU didn't.
This thread and discussion is not about me, but you want to make it about me and pick a fight with me. A troll attacks others, calls names, and hijacks threads: sure sounds like you. You are adding nothing to the discussion and making yourself look stupid.

PU experienced the worst loss in NCAAT history yesterday, and I am merely talking about the state of PU's program: it is a free country, and I'm far from the only person talking about PU. If you don't like the thread and are triggered by it, then don't comment on it. If you don't like me, then ignore me. I'm guessing you are only here to troll, though.
No I am here to understand the apparently inexplicable.

Do you write briefs? Do you argue in a venue other than this conveniently insular one.

I doubt it.

I graduated in the 70’s. Medical. Like brain medical No troll.

So I know one when I hear one.

Be better.

No meds recommended at present. Maybe later.

Hey — good news—
We’re still playing ball this weekend and your apparent jilted lover is not.
For heavens sake have someone look at this cat’s historic post subject matter and try to find any lack of reference.

Stunning.

Do you write briefs? Do you argue in a venue other than this conveniently insular one.

I doubt it.

Be better.

Hey — good news—
For heavens sake have someone look at this cat’s historic post subject matter and try to find any lack of reference.

Stunning.
So you are 80 years old? No, you are here to troll. I trigger you, and you want to pick a fight with me and attack me. I'm not interested in engaging you or getting into an internet fight with you: enjoy playing with yourself. Have a nice life: ignored! Go FDU! PU sucks!

Last edited:

I doubt it.

Be better.

Hey — good news—

Stunning.
I hope you aren't anyone's doctor.

Honestly, by far the biggest difference I see is that Painter has a fan base who believes his record of "accomplishments" is reason for pride and arrogance. It still may take a while for a fan base with such a huge inferiority complex to realize that their "lil archie" era is over, and that they once again have to stew in their own failures rather than pointing to their big brother's struggles to distract them.

I hope you aren't anyone's doctor.
He said he's a brain doctor that graduated in the 70's. That would be roughly 1975, 48 years ago. Medical school is 4 years after undergrad, and residencies are like 3-7 years. If he was 26 in 1975, that would make him at least 74 years old. Even if he graduated in 1979, he would be at least 70 years old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT