ADVERTISEMENT

Two new walk-on transfers.....sounds intriguing

MTBRider22

Redshirt
Mar 10, 2022
Saw on Twitter that we're getting the Air Force Transfer, Jordan Rayford as a walk-on. I believe there was talk about us looking into him for our open scholly...getting him free now. Also a JC transfer, Jackson Creel who is a wing and seems to light it up fairly well from outside. Sorry, at work and can't link, but both sound like decent additions.

Reactions: Vern Pain and 76-1
Saw on Twitter that we're getting the Air Force Transfer, Jordan Rayford as a walk-on. I believe there was talk about us looking into him for our open scholly...getting him free now. Also a JC transfer, Jackson Creel who is a wing and seems to light it up fairly well from outside. Sorry, at work and can't link, but both sound like decent additions.
Usually I just tell the boss I’m busy and read the forum.

Talked about Rayford a few weeks ago when he visited...he's intriguing. No way to know how he'll fare against high major competition...but his highlights sure are interesting.

Couple things that jumped out to me...He has good court vision, and is a willing and capable passer. At his size, that's not overly common any more. Can he translate those skills against bigger, faster, stronger defenders??

His spot up shot looks eerily like Christian Watfords...its a little slow for a guard, he'll need to tighten and speed it up a little bit. But his pull up is very solid, and plenty high and quick enough.

Plenty athletic enough.

I hope we don't "need" him to play. But he could be a guy that could help, if we do end up needing some more ball handling depth.

No clue on the other one.

Reactions: 76-1
Hoosiers not done rounding out the roster?

Will be interesting to see this week if they have someone teed up for the last scholly.

Making practices more competitive is always a good thing.

3 walk-ons now right?

Hoosiers not done rounding out the roster?

Will be interesting to see this week if they have someone teed up for the last scholly.

Making practices more competitive is always a good thing.

3 walk-ons now right?
Probably leave it open because of 2024 recruiting. Hard to get 1 year guy this late I’d assume.

Reactions: edub72
Perhaps walk-ons could be sold on the idea that they could end up as the athletic director.

Can walk-ons get NIL money? I'm guessing there's a mechanism that prevents that. Otherwise it would be a pretty easy way to circumvent scholarship limitations.

Reactions: SWA
Perhaps walk-ons could be sold on the idea that they could end up as the athletic director.

Can walk-ons get NIL money? I'm guessing there's a mechanism that prevents that. Otherwise it would be a pretty easy way to circumvent scholarship limitations.
No they absolutely can get NIL and it’s already paying scholarships in football. It’s not technically earmarked like that but it’s happening. Here is a Duke walk-on.

Walk ons can, and do, receive NIL money. And I would think that was a factor in getting Rayford. He could have went back to AF, at least, and played for free.

Too early to tell but these guys sound like team first players that did not require a starting slot.
Could fill in and play a valuable role. I’d like to see Leal finish his career with some high notes that help the team on the court too.

Walk ons can, and do, receive NIL money. And I would think that was a factor in getting Rayford. He could have went back to AF, at least, and played for free.
Wow! If that's the case scholarship availability is no longer an issue if you're good enough.

Talked about Rayford a few weeks ago when he visited...he's intriguing. No way to know how he'll fare against high major competition...but his highlights sure are interesting.

Couple things that jumped out to me...He has good court vision, and is a willing and capable passer. At his size, that's not overly common any more. Can he translate those skills against bigger, faster, stronger defenders??

His spot up shot looks eerily like Christian Watfords...its a little slow for a guard, he'll need to tighten and speed it up a little bit. But his pull up is very solid, and plenty high and quick enough.

Plenty athletic enough.

I hope we don't "need" him to play. But he could be a guy that could help, if we do end up needing some more ball handling depth.

No clue on the other one.
Where did you see his highlights?

Here is a walk on possibility. I heard Blake Sisley left Wright State and enrolled at IU to be with his girlfriend. Someone needs to talk Jimmy Chitwood back to playing basketball.

• Wow
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Creel looks like a little better shooting version of Fletcher Loyer. Hope he’s a better defender though, or he won’t even help in practice.
We will play a lot of teams that have a dude you can't leave open, and the only reason he will be on the court. I have seen guys like that go for 20+ against us, as have you. Hopefully he will hit open threes in practice and save us getting burned a time or two.

Where did you see his highlights?
The SI link near the top of this thread has some good highlights of Rayford. Haven't had a chance to watch actual games, to see the "lowlights" as well. Obviously there's something, because his highlights would indicate a kid that should have gotten quite a lot more D1 offers than the list he initially had.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Creel looks like a little better shooting version of Fletcher Loyer. Hope he’s a better defender though, or he won’t even help in practice.
So let me get this straight. Loyer was the starting 2 guard on a Big Ten regular season and tourney champ team. You think this guy is a better shooter than Loyer but could only get a walk on offer. The drugs down in Bloomington must be legit!!

Reactions: CBB and kkott
Wow! If that's the case scholarship availability is no longer an issue if you're good enough.
Well not really. If you're on scholarship, your NIL money can go straight to the bank/wallet. As a walk-on you're paying for your tuition, room and board (or rent somewhere) and if you're out of state that's quite a chunk of change.

So let me get this straight. Loyer was the starting 2 guard on a Big Ten regular season and tourney champ team. You think this guy is a better shooter than Loyer but could only get a walk on offer. The drugs down in Bloomington must be legit!!
Loyer isn’t a good shooter. He’s not a good defender and he can barely bring the ball up the court against pressure. If you lock up smith, Loyer struggles to get PUke into its sets. By the way… 🧹 🧹

Well not really. If you're on scholarship, your NIL money can go straight to the bank/wallet. As a walk-on you're paying for your tuition, room and board (or rent somewhere) and if you're out of state that's quite a chunk of change.

Academic scholarships are not disclosed to my knowledge and are highly discretionary.

Reactions: papawboog
Loyer isn’t a good shooter. He’s not a good defender and he can barely bring the ball up the court against pressure. If you lock up smith, Loyer struggles to get PUke into its sets. By the way… 🧹 🧹
I get that you don't like Purdue. I get that you don't like Loyer. However, your post is simply silly.

Loyer won a national 3-point shooting contest as a HS Senior. He was Honorable Mention All-Big Ten as a true freshman. Do you contend that the media that vote these awards and cover the Big Ten are ignorant or foolish? It would seem that you do.

Now, if you want to claim that his shooting fell off during the season, especially in the latter part, you would be correct. The combination of "...hitting the freshman wall...", the especially physical Big Ten play and his physical build were highly likely factors in that outcome. No argument there at all. But to claim that he isn't a good shooter doesn't work given his earlier season results and his HS career.

Physical maturity and additional training are likely to change the arc of seasonal performance for him. I would not expect a repeat performance over time.

I know that you revel in the 2-game sweep. But I am old enough to remember a very much longer one on the other side in the not-so-distant past.

I get that you don't like Purdue. I get that you don't like Loyer. However, your post is simply silly.

Loyer won a national 3-point shooting contest as a HS Senior. He was Honorable Mention All-Big Ten as a true freshman. Do you contend that the media that vote these awards and cover the Big Ten are ignorant or foolish? It would seem that you do.

Now, if you want to claim that his shooting fell off during the season, especially in the latter part, you would be correct. The combination of "...hitting the freshman wall...", the especially physical Big Ten play and his physical build were highly likely factors in that outcome. No argument there at all. But to claim that he isn't a good shooter doesn't work given his earlier season results and his HS career.

Physical maturity and additional training are likely to change the arc of seasonal performance for him. I would not expect a repeat performance over time.

I know that you revel in the 2-game sweep. But I am old enough to remember a very much longer one on the other side in the not-so-distant past.
I noticed you didn’t reply to the whole comment. Go back and look at his best games then look at his worst. His worst 3 point shooting nights were against grown a$$ men guards. It’s easy to hit wide open 3s in some high school gym unguarded. You throw a 5th year senior defender at him and he’s ineffective. Will be the same this year. Can’t wait to see loyer and smith against X and trey.

I noticed you didn’t reply to the whole comment. Go back and look at his best games then look at his worst. His worst 3 point shooting nights were against grown a$$ men guards. It’s easy to hit wide open 3s in some high school gym unguarded. You throw a 5th year senior defender at him and he’s ineffective. Will be the same this year. Can’t wait to see loyer and smith against X and trey.
Yet he manged to be an effective scorer in the Nike Tournament against WVU (a good defensive team), Gonzaga and Duke; not to mention the early B1G schedule. That would argue strongly against your thesis. It is said that legs make your jump shot work. I suggest fatigue was a large contributor to the regression in his shooting.

Meh. Even if this guy is better then loyer, don't need him. Have Benter coming in another year. Also have a couple other guys who can shoot.

There are probably 100+ kids on high school and small college rosters within 5-6 hours of Indianapolis, that are better shooters than Loyer...has nothing to do with who they play for.

And Loyer was one of, if not the, worst perimeter defenders in the conference last year.

Creel isn't a better basketball player than Loyer, I'm sure. But he very easily could be a better spot up shooter, and better defender. You do Loyer a discredit by assuming I think Creel's a better overall basketball player.

There are probably 100+ kids on high school and small college rosters within 5-6 hours of Indianapolis, that are better shooters than Loyer...has nothing to do with who they play for.

And Loyer was one of, if not the, worst perimeter defenders in the conference last year.

Creel isn't a better basketball player than Loyer, I'm sure. But he very easily could be a better spot up shooter, and better defender. You do Loyer a discredit by assuming I think Creel's a better overall basketball player.
So you think Creel might be a better shooter and defender than Loyer, but you think Loyer still may be the better overall player? What exactly do you think Loyer does so well, if it's not shooting?

So you think Creel might be a better shooter and defender than Loyer, but you think Loyer still may be the better overall player? What exactly do you think Loyer does so well, if it's not shooting?
Just throwing out the possibilities.

Loyer is a good ball handler. He can shoot off the dribble. He's crafty going to the basket. He's an above average passer for a wing "scorer".

Creel looks pretty stout physically...and he's listed at 6'5". If he is 6-5, and weighs 200+...he's a little taller, and probably stronger, physically than Loyer.

I have no idea...mainly I was dropping some chum in the water for some funny responses.

But my literal side felt compelled to back up my statement with things that could be true.

Beyond all the things I mentioned above...some kids are just more able to pull all those things together, and make plays with what they have.

Loyer is a good overall basketball player. He just isn't very good defensively. And he isn't an elite level shooter. Leaves the door open for fundamentally sound kids to be better than him at certain specific aspects of basketball...but likely not as good overall.

Reactions: BoilerN
Further...I've seen Loyer play up close in open gyms the last two summers...all kidding aside, he's a really, really good basketball player in the big scheme of things.

Meh. Even if this guy is better then loyer, don't need him. Have Benter coming in another year. Also have a couple other guys who can shoot.
I never said he was better. I commented on loyer being a subpar 3 point shooter and then you guys blow it up like I’m being unreasonable. Well now I am.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I've really soured on Loyer since he's started his collegiate career. In high school he looked like a player who should have had a better offer sheet than he did and that Purdue was getting a steal. Just goes to show you how much more physically demanding basketball is at this level. He comes from good stock with good genes and knows and understands the game of basketball. If his body matures and fills out, he's got a chance. Same thing happened to his brother who was also an exceptionally good high school basketball player, just never filled out and couldn't handle the physicality of B10 basketball.

Yet he manged to be an effective scorer in the Nike Tournament against WVU (a good defensive team), Gonzaga and Duke; not to mention the early B1G schedule. That would argue strongly against your thesis. It is said that legs make your jump shot work. I suggest fatigue was a large contributor to the regression in his shooting.
You mean that trash early tournament that had overrated teams in it? Look I never said this kid was better than loyer. I said loyer is a bad shooter and basically can’t play point. He’s a typical shooting guard that is very streaky, can’t defend, can’t break a good press. Too much film says so. I could give a rats ass how you “feel”. Cherry pick stats all you want but it will never change his 32% 3 point stat. Most of those bad games was against good defensive guards. Many of those guards are back this year.

I never said he was better. I commented on loyer being a subpar 3 point shooter and then you guys blow it up like I’m being unreasonable. Well now I am.
Never said you did, just in general, if he is better, not worried. Reinforcements coming. Smith will be a crafty player this year though.

• Haha
Creel had better numbers (barely) than Loyer, but one was playing on a top 5 team in the country as a freshman and the other was playing in their 3rd year of JUCO---HUGE difference

Reactions: CBB
You mean that trash early tournament that had overrated teams in it? Look I never said this kid was better than loyer. I said loyer is a bad shooter and basically can’t play point. He’s a typical shooting guard that is very streaky, can’t defend, can’t break a good press. Too much film says so. I could give a rats ass how you “feel”. Cherry pick stats all you want but it will never change his 32% 3 point stat. Most of those bad games was against good defensive guards. Many of those guards are back this year.
That tournament had over-rated teams? FYI, Gonzaga finished #9 and Duke #12 in the final AP poll. If your definition of over-rated is not in the Top 5, then perhaps so. But for most, being in the Top 12 of 340 teams is viewed as being pretty good.

You also need to resolve your differences with IUNorth, he posted above that Loyer is a good ball-handler and a good player. By the way Loyer was selected conference Freshman of the Week 3 times last season, but what does that mean when you know better?

• Haha
That tournament had over-rated teams? FYI, Gonzaga finished #9 and Duke #12 in the final AP poll. If your definition of over-rated is not in the Top 5, then perhaps so. But for most, being in the Top 12 of 340 teams is viewed as being pretty good.

You also need to resolve your differences with IUNorth, he posted above that Loyer is a good ball-handler and a good player. By the way Loyer was selected conference Freshman of the Week 3 times last season, but what does that mean when you know better?
So good he had no idea what to do at half court. The only good win in that tournament was Gonzaga. Duke…overrated. Got beat after beating the powerhouse oral roberts. Congratulations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT