ADVERTISEMENT

Tuttle and Bazelak quarterback battle

Ultimately, isn’t the only way to form an opinion based on the results?
Hiller doesn’t seem to develop guys as evidenced by the OL progression (or lack there of) over his tenure here and last year was rock bottom in ability to open up holes and pass protect. We had the highest number of sacks allowed in the conference in 2021. Sheridan - the lack of roster depth in the QB room was egregious last year. He gambled on Penix being the full year starter despite a history of injury, didn’t prep his backups and has to completely change the playbook for a true frosh who couldn’t throw a 10 yard completion. The management of that room was awful.
When #1 goes down and you find yourself completely flat-footed...there is an issue. That issue is shared with TA as he should have been knee-deep in preventing it.

Reactions: kmathum
Ultimately, isn’t the only way to form an opinion based on the results?
Hiller doesn’t seem to develop guys as evidenced by the OL progression (or lack there of) over his tenure here and last year was rock bottom in ability to open up holes and pass protect. We had the highest number of sacks allowed in the conference in 2021. Sheridan - the lack of roster depth in the QB room was egregious last year. He gambled on Penix being the full year starter despite a history of injury, didn’t prep his backups and has to completely change the playbook for a true frosh who couldn’t throw a 10 yard completion. The management of that room was awful.
I think the Hiller results are both difficult to quantify as well as lay on him. We’ve had a revolving door of coaches around him and no offensive identity. That’s never a recipe for success.

As for Sheridan, he and Allen definitely mismanaged the most important position on the team. Penix went into last year 100% but had a long history of injuries. His less talented back up also was injury prone, and #3 was lost for the season with a spring knee injury. Number 4 was a raw high schooler who several schools passed on because of his lack of refined skills but we prioritized, and he wasn’t ready by a long shot. He also wasn’t a mid year enrollee, so he had no real chance to get ready. Number five was a decent high school quarterback who isn’t P5 material. With that as a backdrop before the first snap was taken, we should’ve been better prepared, and we weren’t. NS took the blame. It happens.

I think the Hiller results are both difficult to quantify as well as lay on him. We’ve had a revolving door of coaches around him and no offensive identity. That’s never a recipe for success.

As for Sheridan, he and Allen definitely mismanaged the most important position on the team. Penix went into last year 100% but had a long history of injuries. His less talented back up also was injury prone, and #3 was lost for the season with a spring knee injury. Number 4 was a raw high schooler who several schools passed on because of his lack of refined skills but we prioritized, and he wasn’t ready by a long shot. He also wasn’t a mid year enrollee, so he had no real chance to get ready. Number five was a decent high school quarterback who isn’t P5 material. With that as a backdrop before the first snap was taken, we should’ve been better prepared, and we weren’t. NS took the blame. It happens.
Coach Allen pointed to the lack of adjustments after the first drive the reason for letting Sheridan go. Sheridan didn't have the experience to call games off the cuff when defenses adjusted to IU's offense.

Coach Allen pointed to the lack of adjustments after the first drive the reason for letting Sheridan go. Sheridan didn't have the experience to call games off the cuff when defenses adjusted to IU's offense.
Please post where Coach Allen said that. Because, before the season started, Coach Allen was quoted as saying he loved our staff. And f he he lacked experience, why was he hired for such an important job and allowed to keep it for two years?

Please post where Coach Allen said that. Because, before the season started, Coach Allen was quoted as saying he loved our staff. And f he he lacked experience, why was he hired for such an important job and allowed to keep it for two years?
You can google as easily as I can. Sheridan was pushed by DeBoer as ready for the job but it was clear he wasn't ready and now he coaches for DeBoer again but as TE coach.

You can google as easily as I can. Sheridan was pushed by DeBoer as ready for the job but it was clear he wasn't ready and now he coaches for DeBoer again but as TE coach.
I did Google it . . . There wasn’t anything there. That’s why I asked you. What did you think of the Sheridan hire? Coach Allen was a huge fan of it. Were you?

I did Google it . . . There wasn’t anything there. That’s why I asked you. What did you think of the Sheridan hire? Coach Allen was a huge fan of it. Were you?
No, I wasn't due to his inexperience and the issues with QBs when he was QB coach for two years when DeBord was OC. I was willing to see how he did but just as I suspected our QBs did worse than when DeBoer was QB coach/OC. Sheridan, ran the offense in a way that DeBord ran the offense [used the same offense that DeBoer did but not the same way. If Sheridan attacked OSU all game like he did in the 2nd half IU would have beaten OSU that day.

Last edited:

And we might have had Ramsey back if Penix hadn't been named QB1 right after the 2020 season ended.

Some of us tried to call for an open QB competition, but the 'Penix is God' crowd wouldn't hear it. And when we pointed out his tendency to get hurt, we were told that his injuries were just coincidental.

After the 2020 season Ramsey had, he should have been QB1 in 2021 until he prove he couldn't do the job. Intead, we got what we got.

And we might have had Ramsey back if Penix hadn't been named QB1 right after the 2020 season ended.

Some of us tried to call for an open QB competition, but the 'Penix is God' crowd wouldn't hear it. And when we pointed out his tendency to get hurt, we were told that his injuries were just coincidental.

After the 2020 season Ramsey had, he should have been QB1 in 2021 until he prove he couldn't do the job. Intead, we got what we got.
MP was the guy to beat and that was obvious. PR had the open opportunity to win the position, but was unable to do so.

He should’ve been able to compete for the position, at the very least. He obviously didn’t believe he’d be afforded that opportunity.

No, I wasn't due to his inexperience and the issues with QBs when he was QB coach for two years when DeBord was OC. I was willing to see how he did but just as I suspected our QBs did worse than when DeBoer was QB coach/OC. Sheridan, ran the offense in a way that DeBord ran the offense [used the same offense that DeBoer did but not the same way. If Sheridan attacked OSU all game like he did in the 2nd half IU would have beaten OSU that day.
Did you think he should’ve been replaced after 2020, or only after 2021? Were you able to find the Allen about how he didn’t adjust his play calling as the reason why he replaced Sheridan?

I believe Coach Allen said it (at least) during a podcast posted on the premium side of “the other site.” Maybe other places too. Do you pay for Peegs site? Go wade through tedious hours of unedited podcast dribble to find it if its that important to ya. Podcasters have a false belief that 4 hours of babble is just what the world needs.

Or let me save ya some time and repeat the obvious - He didn't say “lack of in-game adjustments” was the only reason he decided to change OC, so dont seize on one coach-speak phrase, but he did mention lack of in-game adjustments as one of the concerns. Shocking, eh?

Almost as shocking as acknowledging that The most important, most responsible coach for an offense is the OC. And in 2021 our OC put up 17 points per game, after 29 in 2020. It isn't rocket science. The offense sucked, for pick-among-multiple reasons, including depth, scheme, play-calling, OL, WR routes, whatever. Gone. (Or keep him and let the Internet Football Illuminati complain you kept an OC who was “obviously” - to “anybody who pays arrention to football” - going the wrong direction.)

PS - Saying that a coach says in preseason that he loves his staff is meaningless, unless of course you can meet your own standard and link us to some coach saying he dislikes his staff in preseason. Which no coach said ever. It supports no meaningful idea. 98% of what coaches say in media is just pablum, not usable to make any point at all. The other 2% is when they want to send a message or make a mistake and let something meaningful slip.

I believe Coach Allen said it (at least) during a podcast posted on the premium side of “the other site.” Maybe other places too. Do you pay for Peegs site? Go wade through tedious hours of unedited podcast dribble to find it if its that important to ya. Podcasters have a false belief that 4 hours of babble is just what the world needs.

Or let me save ya some time and repeat the obvious - He didn't say “lack of in-game adjustments” was the only reason he decided to change OC, so dont seize on one coach-speak phrase, but he did mention lack of in-game adjustments as one of the concerns. Shocking, eh?

Almost as shocking as acknowledging that The most important, most responsible coach for an offense is the OC. And in 2021 our OC put up 17 points per game, after 29 in 2020. It isn't rocket science. The offense sucked, for pick-among-multiple reasons, including depth, scheme, play-calling, OL, WR routes, whatever. Gone. (Or keep him and let the Internet Football Illuminati complain you kept an OC who was “obviously” - to “anybody who pays arrention to football” - going the wrong direction.)

PS - Saying that a coach says in preseason that he loves his staff is meaningless, unless of course you can meet your own standard and link us to some coach saying he dislikes his staff in preseason. Which no coach said ever. It supports no meaningful idea. 98% of what coaches say in media is just pablum, not usable to make any point at all. The other 2% is when they want to send a message or make a mistake and let something meaningful slip.
A general comment attributed to Coach Allen was made and deemed credible. I think, with some personal knowledge, that the reasons for Sheridan’s departure were much deeper and more nuanced than some phantom reference that was never made. Allen wisely kept his comments regarding Sheridan generic, for obvious reasons. Your comments regarding what Coach Allen said preseason is noted. Much of it isn’t credible, as you said.

A general comment attributed to Coach Allen was made and deemed credible. I think, with some personal knowledge, that the reasons for Sheridan’s departure were much deeper and more nuanced than some phantom reference that was never made. Allen wisely kept his comments regarding Sheridan generic, for obvious reasons. Your comments regarding what Coach Allen said preseason are noted. Much of it isn’t credible, as you said. My concern is hiring and retaining quality coaches, which is essential if we’re to build a winning program. We seem to be in a perpetual struggle to get that done, and it’s a requisite building block for our success.

Last edited:

Very damn good.

A general comment attributed to Coach Allen was made and deemed credible. I think, with some personal knowledge, that the reasons for Sheridan’s departure were much deeper and more nuanced than some phantom reference that was never made. Allen wisely kept his comments regarding Sheridan generic, for obvious reasons. Your comments regarding what Coach Allen said preseason is noted. Much of it isn’t credible, as you said. My concern is hiring and retaining quality coaches, which is essential if we’re to build a winning program. We seem to be in a perpetual struggle to get that done, and it’s a requisite building block for our success.
Just as it is for any B1G program.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
Just as it is for any B1G program.
Agreed. But most others have gotten it right while we continue to struggle and get it wrong. Has to change if we want to build a winning program. Seems like everyone would understand and support this.

Go Hoosiers.

Seems like everyone would understand and support this.
It is passive-aggressive, back-handed insults like this ^^^ that have made you less than popular around here. Either you are trying to make these insults, which is bad, or you don't even see that you are insulting people, which is worse.

EVERYBODY here supports IU being as good as they can be. Your implication above - intentional or not - is that NOT everybody supports this. It is a dumb statement.

And if you weren't such a newbie trying to convince everybody of your superior football intellect, you'd see that many/most here "understand" a lot.

With whatever respect is due to you for having inside access you claim, but won't explain, and for whatever superior understanding you claim and/or have, most folks here understand IU football at a pretty high level - and have ridden it to the bottom multiple times, remained loyal to it for years/decades, seen multiple reasons for the failures and a few reasons for success. Most can tell a good team from a bad one, and have a pretty good idea why there is a difference.

In short - stop "talking down" to everybody - you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

It is passive-aggressive, back-handed insults like this ^^^ that have made you less than popular around here. Either you are trying to make these insults, which is bad, or you don't even see that you are insulting people, which is worse.

EVERYBODY here supports IU being as good as they can be. Your implication above - intentional or not - is that NOT everybody supports this. It is a dumb statement.

And if you weren't such a newbie trying to convince everybody of your superior football intellect, you'd see that many/most here "understand" a lot.

With whatever respect is due to you for having inside access you claim, but won't explain, and for whatever superior understanding you claim and/or have, most folks here understand IU football at a pretty high level - and have ridden it to the bottom multiple times, remained loyal to it for years/decades, seen multiple reasons for the failures and a few reasons for success. Most can tell a good team from a bad one, and have a pretty good idea why there is a difference.

In short - stop "talking down" to everybody - you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer either.
He is Faaaaar from being a "newbie" here. Everyone else picked up on his tired act withing three posts.

Reactions: 76-1
He was, he did, he couldn't win the job. You tried to make this BS made up point on GBI while trashing "RevCoachLeo" and "Indnia" fans.
I have no idea what rabbit hole you’re trying to go down on the GBI front that you’ve now raised twice, though I suspect it’s simply your attempt at deflection. As for Ramsey, how could he have competed for the job in December, when he decided to leave. You need to follow the program much closer. Easy to ignore like you who do not.

I shouldn’t have attempted to return the snark . . . My fault. But “talking down” is a two way street, ya know?

Last edited:
I have no idea what rabbit hole you’re trying to go down on the GBI front that you’ve now raised twice, though I suspect it’s simply your attempt at deflection. As for Ramsey, how could he have competed for the job in December, when he decided to leave. You need to follow the program much closer. Easy to ignore like you who do not.
Lol. You have promised to put me on ignore no less than ten times under six different (now-banned) user names.

Keep your promise.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Lol. You have promised to put me on ignore no less than ten times under six different (now-banned) user names.

Keep your promise.
Once again, you’re speaking gibberish, even as you follow my posts incessantly in an attempt to procoke a response. Please either talk IU football, even once, or stop. The other stuff isn’t needed, wanted, or appreciated and, since it’s never related to IU football, it’s easy to ignore. Thanks.

Last edited:
Once again, youre speaking gibberish, even as you follow my posts incessantly in an attempt to procoke a response. Please either talk IU football, even once, or stop. The other stuff isn’t needed, wanted, or appreciated and, since it’s never related to IU football, it’s easy to ignore. Thanks.
Keep your promise

Agreed. But most others have gotten it right while we continue to struggle and get it wrong. Has to change if we want to build a winning program. Seems like everyone would understand and support this.

Go Hoosiers.
The problem for the Hoosiers that others don't face that often is the lack of pay and coaches that work to move on to other jobs. Other schools face the same thing while established school get coaches that stay a long time. Now we see Clemson losing two coordinators, Alabama constantly loses coordinators along with other schools like Michigan and others.

Reactions: IU73 and Jackskip23
The problem for the Hoosiers that others don't face that often is the lack of pay and coaches that work to move on to other jobs. Other schools face the same thing while established school get coaches that stay a long time. Now we see Clemson losing two coordinators, Alabama constantly loses coordinators along with other schools like Michigan and others.
Good coaches, regardless of locale, move on and move up. It happens everywhere, and head coaches both know that and encourage it, since it means guys get opportunities. There’s almost always a higher amount of money available for the best, even when it’s Alabama, Georgia or OSU being poached. We’re no different there.

The key is the best coaches know how to restock their coaching cupboards. Look at what Hayden Fry and one of his understudies, Barry Alvarez, did at their schools. Or what Dabo has done at Clemson. Or what Jim Harbaugh has often failed to do at UM. The first two often lose coaches but are great at finding new ones. JH is perpetually searching but rarely finding. Brian Kelly has some of those issues, too. It’s a sign of a really good head coach or someone, even with great resources, who can’t make that aspect of his program work well. We have to do it better if we want to build a winning program.

MP was the guy to beat and that was obvious. PR had the open opportunity to win the position, but was unable to do so.
And yet, I just read on this thread how MP started even with his injury history and how Allen and Sheridan didn't have a backup ready.

You can have a questionable QB as starter or go with the reliable, proven QB as starter - you can't have both.

I would choose the reliable one. You picked the other and so did Allen, and the team suffered because of it.

And yet, I just read on this thread how MP started even with his injury history and how Allen and Sheridan didn't have a backup ready.

You can have a questionable QB as starter or go with the reliable, proven QB as starter - you can't have both.

I would choose the reliable one. You picked the other and so did Allen, and the team suffered because of it.
MP was the better QB, that is not in question.

When he went down, as i posted earlier...the coaches were caught flat footed.

Anyone who wants IU to win would have picked MP

The lack of a solid backup was unacceptable and part of the reason a coach lost his job.

I didn't realize who he was at first. He's now on ignore, along with his other dozen handles.
Most picked it up in the first 12 posts. He has been following behind me to "correct" whatever I post. Hopefully he will keep his many many promises to put me on ignore.

MP was the better QB, that is not in question.

When he went down, as i posted earlier...the coaches were caught flat footed.

Anyone who wants IU to win would have picked MP

The lack of a solid backup was unacceptable and part of the reason a coach lost his job.
Anyone who thinks MP was a reliable QB wasn't paying attention.

We won many games with Ramsey either starting or relieving MP.

You see the results of choosing MP in 2021.

Most picked it up in the first 12 posts. He has been following behind me to "correct" whatever I post. Hopefully he will keep his many many promises to put me on ignore.
So spill the beans - what were his former IDs?

Reactions: jsenleo

So your coaching call is:

"#1 (by a mile) has a history of getting hurt so let's not start him"

Different than mine, but to each their own.

So your coaching call is:

"#1 (by a mile) has a history of getting hurt so let's not start him"

Different than mine, but to each their own.
We saw the results of what would have been your decision.

Do you ask the flashiest girl to the prom - the one who is smokin' hot but known to dump her dates at the last minute, or do you ask the hot, reliable one who has stood with your in good times and bad?

Let's not act like Ramsey was chopped liver - he led Northwestern to a B1G Divisional championship.

We saw the results of what would have been your decision.

Do you ask the flashiest girl to the prom - the one who is smokin' hot but known to dump her dates at the last minute, or do you ask the hot, reliable one who has stood with your in good times and bad?

Let's not act like Ramsey was chopped liver - he led Northwestern to a B1G Divisional championship.
The issue with Ramsey wasn’t just whether he was “better”, it was whether he could be relied on to stay healthy. All water under the now, and has been for a couple of years. Nice that both Ramsey and IU had good seasons.

The issue with Ramsey wasn’t just whether he was “better”, it was whether he could be relied on to stay healthy. All water under the now, and has been for a couple of years. Nice that both Ramsey and IU had good seasons.
No one said he was better. But the issue is who was better for team success.

Reactions: IU73 and BayernFan
No one said he was better. But the issue is who was better for team success.
Totally agree. Loved Penix but he was already injury prone then. I’m sure the coaches hoped to keep both of them, but both wanted to play. Easy to understand how Ramsey left, especially in the grad transfer environment that governed things then.

Reactions: DANC

With MP it wasn’t a matter if he was gonna get hurt again,it was a matter of when.
Let’s see a show of hands of who was surprised when he got hurt….again.

Reactions: DANC and Jackskip23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT