ADVERTISEMENT

Trump disqualified from CO ballot

Where would you deport him to? Just curious.
He died of cancer (not DUI) in 2020. From the first diagnosis of small intestine /bowel cancer in 2013 thru that surgery, a heart valve replacement, and liver surgery around 2017 he probably quit drinking for at most a total of 6 months. He's my brother and deep down I loved him, but I'd have deported him to the land of dumbasses...

Reactions: Sope Creek
dd0.jpg
You're responding to my post, but I don't understand the gif (or whatever it is). So I have no idea what point you're making?

A few general points:

I am a legal realist to a large degree. Look that term up. If you are one, having experience with trying to figure out what justices will do is important in commenting on what the law “is.”

Of course Raskin is speaking as a partisan. He’s an elected member of Congress that took part in the J6 report and a fervent Dem. To suggest otherwise is kinda silly. (Doesn’t mean he can’t be right). Re the Republicans suing here, that’s strategy, I think: Trump losing helps the Repubs more than the Dems. Biden will lose to any other Republican, I think, like Haley. Trumps base will be furious if Trump is removed and will come out in full force to vote against Biden if this happens.

Re the rebels and vagueness, if you were to strip them of their ability to hold office, of course you would have to have some sort of trial. What if the person said “ I wasn’t a member of the Confederacy or I’m not the same John Doe who was?” How are you going to solve that? Via a trial. And a vague law has to be clarified through litigation, of course. That’s a fundamental requirement of all law in our system.

Finally, Section 5 of the 14th isn’t vague at all. Congress SHALL . . .

Thanks for toning down your rhetoric a bit in this post. I find that helpful.
"Re the rebels and vagueness, if you were to strip them of their ability to hold office, of course you would have to have some sort of trial. What if the person said “ I wasn’t a member of the Confederacy or I’m not the same John Doe who was?” How are you going to solve that? Via a trial. And a vague law has to be clarified through litigation, of course. That’s a fundamental requirement of all law in our system."

My understanding is that Jeff Davis, in his attempt to keep from being tried for Treason used the fact that the 14th amendemnt barred him from office as an example of how a trial would constitute "double jeopardy"...

This is a pretty facsinating accout including how much he changed from what a witness experienced after meeting him on a riverboat, to the dodering old man that the same witness saw hobble into the Courthouse 2 days later...

"Not many minutes later, Davis walked out a free man, released on bail. And not too many months after that the federal government’s case against him fell apart. There’s no real consensus about why. The explanation that Davis’s lawyer Charles O’Conor liked best had to do with Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment, known as the disqualification clause, which bars from federal office anyone who has ever taken an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and later “engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.” O’Conor argued that Section 3’s ban on holding office was a form of punishment and that to try Davis for treason would therefore amount to double jeopardy. "

I'm not sure, but it seems like he's arguing the opposite of your claim that a trial was necessary to apply the 14th, since Davis actually argued that the 14th (applied before trial) basically meant he couldn't be tried without violating the 5th and double jeopardy...

I could be wrong and I might be interpreting it incorrectly, but I was never invested too much one way or another on the ballot issue. I just mainly took issue with people on this board claiming it was a fait acompli, when it seems the analysts are at best divided. I'm personally much more interested in the resolution of the immunity issue,and the onset of the various trials...

"Re the rebels and vagueness, if you were to strip them of their ability to hold office, of course you would have to have some sort of trial. What if the person said “ I wasn’t a member of the Confederacy or I’m not the same John Doe who was?” How are you going to solve that? Via a trial. And a vague law has to be clarified through litigation, of course. That’s a fundamental requirement of all law in our system."

My understanding is that Jeff Davis, in his attempt to keep from being tried for Treason used the fact that the 14th amendemnt barred him from office as an example of how a trial would constitute "double jeopardy"...

This is a pretty facsinating accout including how much he changed from what a witness experienced after meeting him on a riverboat, to the dodering old man that the same witness saw hobble into the Courthouse 2 days later...

"Not many minutes later, Davis walked out a free man, released on bail. And not too many months after that the federal government’s case against him fell apart. There’s no real consensus about why. The explanation that Davis’s lawyer Charles O’Conor liked best had to do with Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment, known as the disqualification clause, which bars from federal office anyone who has ever taken an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and later “engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.” O’Conor argued that Section 3’s ban on holding office was a form of punishment and that to try Davis for treason would therefore amount to double jeopardy. "

I'm not sure, but it seems like he's arguing the opposite of your claim that a trial was necessary to apply the 14th, since Davis actually argued that the 14th (applied before trial) basically meant he couldn't be tried without violating the 5th and double jeopardy...

I could be wrong and I might be interpreting it incorrectly, but I was never invested too much one way or another on the ballot issue. I just mainly took issue with people on this board claiming it was a fait acompli, when it seems the analysts are at best divided. I'm personally much more interested in the resolution of the immunity issue,and the onset of the various trials...
That’s a fascinating piece of history. Thanks for sharing.

The Davis case isn’t relevant for three reasons I can think of off the top of my head: it has no precedential value because a court never entered a ruling on that issue that I can see; it’s a dumb argument (felons would fall under that argument and you couldn’t pass a law forbidding them from voting or owning firearms, for example); and it isn’t on point with this issue—to be so, Davis would have had to try to run for President and not been allowed without a trial to determine if he engaged in insurrection.

So are you advocating for all DUI offenders to be deported,or just the migrants? I mean you can point to this migrant as causing a fatal accident that killed 2, but are you claiming that somehow migrants are responsible for the majority of DUI arrests/convictions/ bail outs and homicides? Because if so there's a bridge in AZ I need to talk to you about...

Every DUI fatality is horrible, but I'm guessing the amount committed by illegal immigrants is pretty miniscule. My brother who I'm convinced was an undiagnosed victim of bi polar disorder had 4 DUIs and at least 2 public intox arrests over the course of about 20 yrs. Fortunately he never hurt anyone (except himself) and the funniest example was when he got arrested for public intox for falling asleep at the Chinese Buffet in Elletsville.

I mean a guy in his 50s arrested for public intox in essentially a college town where drinking is basically the major pastime. Before that he got arrested for being drunk on thie sidewalk outside Kilroy's and in a crowd of drunken students the 50 yr old non-student managed to attract enough attention to get arrested...How dumb does someone have to be to have that happen repeatedly? Yet he was in his 40s before he was arrested the first time, and it just seemed to come on him all at once.

I'd have been in favor of deporting him, because obviously nothing else worked. I just think based on my own personal experience trying to conflate DUIs as an "illegal immigrant problem" is a tad misplaced...
These posts are fascinating. Keep ‘em coming.

Why do you think your brother had BPD? Did he have manic phases? As a kid or only later in life? Did you ever go throw some back with him? What was that like?

Why do you think your brother had BPD? Did he have manic phases? As a kid or only later in life? Did you ever go throw some back with him? What was that like?

It's not unusual for late onset alcohol abusers to also suffer from a mental health issue of some sort. The homeless wino under a bridge is the obvious example, but that's far from typical. Some believe the alcohol abuser is self medicating his underlying mental issues, others think the alcohol abuse brings a latent or manageable tendency to the forefront. Chicken/egg. The only way to get to the bottom of it is to remove the alcohol and see what happens.

It's not unusual for late onset alcohol abusers to also suffer from a mental health issue of some sort. The homeless wino under a bridge is the obvious example, but that's far from typical. Some believe the alcohol abuser is self medicating his underlying mental issues, others think the alcohol abuse brings a latent or manageable tendency to the forefront. Chicken/egg. The only way to get to the bottom of it is to remove the alcohol and see what happens.
Until the mid 90s alcoholism alone qualified for ss dis

• Wow
Reactions: BradStevens
I've heard the claim but have never run into anyone who was getting SSDI based solely on an alcoholism diagnosis. No saying you're wrong, just saying.
Yup. Ended in 95 or 96. Now it has to be tethered to something else. Drug addiction was a stand alone impairment too

Reactions: UncleMark
The new GOP Presidential candidates will be someone like him or DeSantis. The Bush/Haley types are the past.
Yep. The viv trump Rogan musk types. Party needs to split. Like the Dems. Let the progressives be their own. 4 parties. Would love to see how votes fall

Reactions: snarlcakes
Yup. Ended in 95 or 96. Now it has to be tethered to something else. Drug addiction was a stand alone impairment too

So about the time all the treatment centers sprang up and were raking in insurance money... couldn't rightly keep paying SSDI if they'd been "cured."

If you're posting just to get approval and a sense of confluence from others,then by all means keep posting images that I don't understand. I have no idea what any of those images signify, they're just weird pics to me...

If you're trying to make a point to me, you need to dumb it down because gifs are not something I really understand. I presume you're trying to comment to me on my post, and I assume you disapprove. But the images just go right over my head...

So about the time all the treatment centers sprang up and were raking in insurance money... couldn't rightly keep paying SSDI if they'd been "cured."
Probably but I don’t remember. Sometimes public awareness “we”re subsidizing drunks” can occur and be a catalyst

If you're posting just to get approval and a sense of confluence from others,then by all means keep posting images that I don't understand. I have no idea what any of those images signify, they're just weird pics to me...

If you're trying to make a point to me, you need to dumb it down because gifs are not something I really understand. I presume you're trying to comment to me on my post, and I assume you disapprove. But the images just go right over my head...
I took the first pic he posted as implying he too gets too drunk in a college town when he’s middle aged.

I’m not sure on the second but I think it’s just a signal that you don’t understand GIFs.

Cosmic, this GIF is a subtle acknowledgment that my assumption of mattndalllas’s intentions was correct and that he and I are mountain bros, both appreciating the cold, pure spring waters and hard living that such a life entails.
A "primer" for Cosmic... :D

Then there is Wojak, perhaps the most popular of Right-wing memes, and arguably the bleakest. The EU report describes how the meme “has gradually been adapted and advanced by far-Right meme culture to portray liberals with blank expressions” who “do not question the information that comes from mainstream press and politics”.

One of the earliest variations of Wojak was NPC, or Non-Player Character Wojak, a grey, lifeless figure who repeats empty phrases like ‘‘The future is female” and “Reality has a liberal bias”. “NPC” comes from online gaming, and reflects the view that most of the population are mindlessly conformist, lapping up the low-brow mass culture which carries a shallow progressive message, and repeating it.

Wojak has evolved into various other forms — Withered Wojak is a favourite, often used in response to the latest self-harm masquerading as life advice spread by journalists and other opinion formers, or to children being exposed to drag queens, or the most recent race-baiting directives from on high. He represents despair that this will never be over and will only get worse.

i think it's a sensor thing f'd up by the cold. but i don't know.
In the 1600s the French physicist Guillaume Amontons built one of the first accurate and useful thermometers, based on the fact that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature (in Kelvin). The relationship between the pressure and the temperature of a gas is therefore known as Amontons' law. It is the precursor to Boyle's law and to the ideal gas law.

So when the pressure in a tire, or a basketball, or a football, or a soccer ball drops with the temperature, it isn't something magical happening, a sensor / gauge error, or even evidence that somebody like Tom Brady snuck around and did something awful to your previously well-infllated item.

It is merely the observable effects of gas physics, known for over 300 years now.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
A "primer" for Cosmic... :D

Then there is Wojak, perhaps the most popular of Right-wing memes, and arguably the bleakest. The EU report describes how the meme “has gradually been adapted and advanced by far-Right meme culture to portray liberals with blank expressions” who “do not question the information that comes from mainstream press and politics”.

One of the earliest variations of Wojak was NPC, or Non-Player Character Wojak, a grey, lifeless figure who repeats empty phrases like ‘‘The future is female” and “Reality has a liberal bias”. “NPC” comes from online gaming, and reflects the view that most of the population are mindlessly conformist, lapping up the low-brow mass culture which carries a shallow progressive message, and repeating it.

Wojak has evolved into various other forms — Withered Wojak is a favourite, often used in response to the latest self-harm masquerading as life advice spread by journalists and other opinion formers, or to children being exposed to drag queens, or the most recent race-baiting directives from on high. He represents despair that this will never be over and will only get worse.
Coincidence? I think not...

circa-april-2014-berlin-logo-260nw-192394442.jpg

NPC_wojak_meme.png

Obviously bidens hand pick leftist will never vote for trump but it looks like a beatdown coming. Sorry bowlmania you may actually have to win at the ballot box. I know heaven forbid the people get to decide.

@TheAmericanHill
·
17m

The SCOTUS is not buying the Colorado lawyers arguments in the slightest.Looking like 7-2 in favor of Trump

Obviously bidens hand pick leftist will never vote for trump but it looks like a beatdown coming. Sorry bowlmania you may actually have to win at the ballot box. I know heaven forbid the people get to decide.

@TheAmericanHill
·
17m

The SCOTUS is not buying the Colorado lawyers arguments in the slightest.Looking like 7-2 in favor of Trump

So 14th amendment doesn't matter....kind of undermines the Republican position that the 2nd amendment is untouchable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT