ADVERTISEMENT

Trump disqualified from CO ballot

I looked at that a while back and with my limited knowledge I do think they have the right to keep him off.

Based on opinion vs conviction? He hasn’t been convicted of these actions yet, has he? Seems like a bit of a slippery slope.

I looked at that a while back and with my limited knowledge I do think they have the right to keep him off.
I agree. But just as hard cases make bad law, clear cases sometimes can make bad politics. Keeping him off the ballot might be technically correct, but it will be damaging to the country in the long run.

It goes something like this:

The 14th says those who engaged in insurrection are disqualified.
Trump engaged in insurrection.
He's disqualified.
It's a Civil War era amendment with zero application today. Applies to Robert E Lee and the like who took up arms against the government. You libs are completely insane. Again, this will be easily overturned.

It doesn't even apply to the President. Learn to read.

It's a Civil War era amendment with zero application today. Applies to Robert E Lee and the like who took up arms against the government. You libs are completely insane. Again, this will be easily overturned.
I don’t know Dbm. You know how I feel about Biden. Worst prez ever. But when I read about this a while back I remember thinking they could get trump with this one.

I was just in Colorado for two weeks, and will be heading back in another week but is there any chance in hell they would vote for Trump anyway?

Seems unlikely. Not that the Colorado Supreme Court isn’t another example of evil progressives at work or that taking him off the ballot isn’t horribly unjust…

As far as results, I’m or sure it means much.

It doesn't even apply to the President. Learn to read.
Dbm we can’t beat these no good Dems. We lose at every turn. We’re trying to get rides to go vote before the precinct closes and they’re counting theirs in the mail for months. We’re selling gold bars and survival buckets while they’re pulling out scrolls of law that we didn’t know about. We don’t have a chance

Reactions: Stuffshot
I was just in Colorado for two weeks, and will be heading back in another week but is there any chance in hell they would vote for Trump anyway?

Seems unlikely. Not that the Colorado Supreme Court isn’t another example of evil progressives at work or that taking him off the ballot isn’t horribly unjust…

What happens when Wisconsin tries the same?

Reactions: Ty Webb iu and DANC

And what does it say to the flag waving Lauren Boebert's who make up 40+% of the state and work the jobs and pay the taxes? You think they'll want to stay in that Marxist hell hole?

They clearly didn't think this through.

What happens when Wisconsin tries the same?
Fun fact. I was acquaintances with Governor Scott Walker’s son. The union assassin. Spent the 4th of July at the Wisconsin Governors mansion one year pre his uninspiring 2016 presidential run.

He did make one joke I liked though. Strolls out on to the beautifully manicured lawn, of
This Governors mansion and opens with “Not bad for public housing, eh?”

State's rights?

Colorado court keeps federal candidate off its ballot, and Texas governor acts to arrest immigrants.

IMO the battle over state's rights and those of the federal government has never really been settled with the Supreme Court always having been a branch subject to political ideology.

Reactions: Bill4411
"The Constitution lists only three qualifications for the Presidency — the President must be at least 35 years of age, be a natural born citizen, and must have lived in the United States for at least 14 years."

Reactions: DANC
I don’t know Dbm. You know how I feel about Biden. Worst prez ever. But when I read about this a while back I remember thinking they could get trump with this one.
Trump never fired a shot against the United States, nor did he command others to do so. All he did was give a speech. Calling that an insurrection will cause problems that we can never solve.

This and the Smith trials will forever change the nature of the office of president. .

"The Constitution lists only three qualifications for the Presidency — the President must be at least 35 years of age, be a natural born citizen, and must have lived in the United States for at least 14 years."

That would be an important point if we were talking about mere statute, but the 14th Amendment supersedes that restriction.

Trump never fired a shot against the United States, nor did he command others to do so. All he did was give a speech. Calling that an insurrection will cause problems that we can never solve.

This and the Smith trials will forever change the nature of the office of president. .
Trump did much more than "give a speech."

That said, how was he found to have committed insurrection in Colorado? Was there a trial? Witnesses? Does a Colorado state court have jurisdiction to even try him for insurrection?

Do we really think the 14th Amendment set up a process for 50 different trials in 50 different jurisdictions before someone could be placed on the ballot for the Presidency in each state?

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT