ADVERTISEMENT

Trading MSU for Purdue in the divisions

What are you talking about?!? Purdue is barely a .500 program. Purdue has had multiple dud coaches as of late: Burtnett, Colletto, Akers, Hazell. Danny Hope was nothing to write home about.

As of right now, Brohm hasn't done anything that Hazell hasn't done, even while having the advantage of not being in the BT East. Yes, Tiller was the anomaly. You would have a hard time seeing a difference between him and Mallory if Tiller plays UM and OSU during his first couple years and he coaches another year or two at the end.
Brohm has coached Purdue to four wins this year,which Darell never did.And they have been competitive in every game.So Tiller would never have coached Purdue to 87 wins,with 53 in conference play,if they would have played OSU and UM in his first two years?Boy,you are reaching and I think Mallory was a good coach,but his 69 total wins and 39 league wins in 13 years don't measure up to Tillers 12 year record.I admired Mallorys coaching ability,but he wasn't as good as Tiller.

What are you talking about?!? Purdue is barely a .500 program. Purdue has had multiple dud coaches as of late: Burtnett, Colletto, Akers, Hazell. Danny Hope was nothing to write home about.

As of right now, Brohm hasn't done anything that Hazell hasn't done, even while having the advantage of not being in the BT East. Yes, Tiller was the anomaly. You would have a hard time seeing a difference between him and Mallory if Tiller plays UM and OSU during his first couple years and he coaches another year or two at the end.

1. He won at least 4 games in a season
2. He won at least 2 conference games in a season
3. He had Purdue favored in multiple conference games
4. He sold out the second home game during his tenure

Shall I continue? Those are all things he’s done that Hazell never did.

It’s funny you give Hope a hard time. He would’ve been the best coach you’ve had since Mallory. He was also able to beat OSU twice and Michigan once which you haven’t done in 30 years. You guys would’ve taken that in a heartbeat.

Kevin Wilson was your best shot do you really think

http://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

Purdue #36 and IU #72
Done & Done!
Good luck in the bucket game from beautiful West La La, Indiana.

Kevin Wilson was your best shot do you really think

http://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

Purdue #36 and IU #72
Done & Done!
Good luck in the bucket game from beautiful West La La, Indiana.
I hope Done & Done means you are gone for good, but I doubt it since you are such a chronic, butt-hurt, little-brother troll.

So on the odd chance you are still lurking, let me repeat: You are what you are, not what you once were. What PU is now (and has been for 40 of the past 50 years) is a below-average football program. What happened in the 1930's and 40's isn't getting you better recruits or positioning you for some return to greatness.

I'm sure you would be the first to agree that IU's basketball prowess from the 1950's through 2002 doesn't make the Hoosiers a dominant force in college basketball today. Your use of historical data to justify your relevance today is not only a weak argument, it's pathetic and delusional.

Purdue is a great institution with a proud athletic history. Why so many Boilermaker fans continue to obsess over all things IU is baffling - and sad. As my grandma used to scold when we misbehaved, "it reflects poorly on you and your entire family."

Reactions: 76-1 and td75
If anyone in this conference wants to claim middle of the road based on ancient history, it should be Minnesota. They actually claim numerous national titles, the most recent from 1960. Purdue is not middle of the road, Iowa is middle of the road.

In my lifetime, 42 years, Purdue had a smallish window of success under Tiller. The fact they went to the Rose Bowl at a pedestrian 8-4, tells me all I need to know...lol...I guess the big ten was rotten to the core that year.

If anyone in this conference wants to claim middle of the road based on ancient history, it should be Minnesota. They actually claim numerous national titles, the most recent from 1960. Purdue is not middle of the road, Iowa is middle of the road.

In my lifetime, 42 years, Purdue had a smallish window of success under Tiller. The fact they went to the Rose Bowl at a pedestrian 8-4, tells me all I need to know...lol...I guess the big ten was rotten to the core that year.

I’m curious to hear where you think Purdue is historically and where IU is? And if you were born in 1975, why are you excluding Purdue in the late 70’s when they won 9 or 10 games in 3 consecutive years? Based on their overall record and their history, I think Purdue is middle of the road. Iowa is better than middle of the road due to their success with Fry and Ferentz.

I'll be honest, Purdue is a lower level big ten team. Minnesota is a lower level team, even with all of their fancy history in football. Illinois is a lower level team, iu is a lower level team.

Your mid level teams, truth be told, are iowa and Northwestern. MSU is upper mid level, with Wisconsin. Northwestern shows that a lower level team can absolutely move to the mid level with good coaching. Iowa shows that too, along with WI.

Tiller had purdue clinging to that sought after middle of the road, Mallory had iu right there, too.

I'll be honest, Purdue is a lower level big ten team. Minnesota is a lower level team, even with all of their fancy history in football. Illinois is a lower level team, iu is a lower level team.

Your mid level teams, truth be told, are iowa and Northwestern. MSU is upper mid level, with Wisconsin. Northwestern shows that a lower level team can absolutely move to the mid level with good coaching. Iowa shows that too, along with WI.

Tiller had purdue clinging to that sought after middle of the road, Mallory had iu right there, too.

Northwestern is not a mid level team when looking at things historically. It takes decades of sustained success and Northwestern would need to continue on this path for a lot longer to jump up from a lower level team. Northwestern before Fitzgerald was one of the worst P5 teams in all of college football. They don’t jump to mid level just because of what Fitz has done IMO. You can’t say Minnesota is lower level and Northwestern is mid level. That’s just false.

Look, we live in a here and now world, not a world where we give equal importance to things that occurred in 1955. The world we are living in places far greater weight on the last 25 years. It's one reason many younger people aren't familiar with the successes of iu bball.

Reactions: Crimson Crush
For what it’s worth here are the b10 #s since 2000

Name. Wins. Loss. Bowls. Conf title. Nat
Osu. 181. 39. 16. 8. 2.
Wisc. 157. 67. 16. 3. 0.
Neb. 146. 75. 15. 0. 0.
Mich. 139. 75. 14. 3. 0.
Ia. 134. 82. 14. 3. 0.
Penn. 133. 80. 11. 3. 0.
MSU. 128. 87. 11. 3. 0.
Nw. 117. 103. 10. 1. 0.
Md. 109. 102. 10. 1. 0.
Mn. 105. 108. 13. 0. 0.
Rut. 100. 109. 9. 1. 0.
Pu. 93. 117. 9. 1. 0.
Ill. 79. 126. 5. 1. 0.
Iu. 70. 133. 3. 0. 0.

Last edited:

Osu. 181. 39. 16. 8. 2.
Wisc. 157. 67. 16. 3. 0.
Mich. 139. 75. 14. 3. 0.
Penn. 133. 80. 11. 3. 0.
MSU. 128. 87. 11. 3. 0.
Nw. 117. 103. 10. 1. 0.
Md. 109. 102. 10. 1. 0.
Mn. 105. 108. 13. 0. 0.
Rut. 100. 109. 9. 1. 0.
Pu. 93. 117. 9. 1. 0.
Ill. 79. 126. 5. 1. 0.
Iu. 70. 133. 3. 0. 0.
Thanks for the info. Iowa and Nebraska ?

It’s funny you give Hope a hard time. He would’ve been the best coach you’ve had since Mallory. He was also able to beat OSU twice and Michigan once which you haven’t done in 30 years. You guys would’ve taken that in a heartbeat.
Note: Hope beat Luke Fickell and and Rich Rod 2 of those 3. I don't think you want to bring up PU's record against OSU and UM over the past 50 years.

I'd take Terry Hoeppner over Hope in a heartbeat. I'd go with Kevin Wilson and Tom Allen as DC as well. The funny thing about Hope is he represents PU historically: .500 give or take. PU thought it was something it wasn't, fired him, and ended up doing worse.

4 in a row, about to make it 5.

P.S. Northwestern is the better program than PU over the past 20 years and change, and it doesn't look like this is changing any time soon.

Note: Hope beat Luke Fickell and and Rich Rod 2 of those 3. I don't think you want to bring up PU's record against OSU and UM over the past 50 years.

I'd take Terry Hoeppner over Hope in a heartbeat. I'd go with Kevin Wilson and Tom Allen as DC as well. The funny thing about Hope is he represents PU historically: .500 give or take. PU thought it was something it wasn't, fired him, and ended up doing worse.

4 in a row, about to make it 5.

Did IU beat Fickell? Did IU beat Rich Rod? Hope also beat a top 10 team when they had Pryor at QB but I understand why you left that out. I know our record against OSU and UM over the last 50 years isn’t great but it’s way better than going 30 years since beating them. I’d take Hoeppner over Hope too. Purdue fired him because Burke wasn’t a fan and he didn’t connect well with the boosters. But even an average coach like Hope beat IU 3 out of 4, beat OSU twice, and beat Michigan. That shows how bad Hazell truly was. Any Purdue coach that loses 4 in a row to IU shouldn’t be a D1 head coach. Hazell was terrible in every single aspect. He couldn’t coach, he couldn’t recruit, he couldn’t connect with alumni, he couldn’t even offer someone in his backyard that was clearly a good player who would’ve been at Purdue in Cronk. The guy was a total fraud.

One correction: Michigan sold out the second game of his tenure.

Osu. 181. 39. 16. 8. 2.
Wisc. 157. 67. 16. 3. 0.
Neb. 146. 75. 15. 0. 0.
Mich. 139. 75. 14. 3. 0.
Ia. 134. 82. 14. 3. 0.
Penn. 133. 80. 11. 3. 0.
MSU. 128. 87. 11. 3. 0.
Nw. 117. 103. 10. 1. 0.
Md. 109. 102. 10. 1. 0.
Mn. 105. 108. 13. 0. 0.
Rut. 100. 109. 9. 1. 0.
Pu. 93. 117. 9. 1. 0.
Ill. 79. 126. 5. 1. 0.
Iu. 70. 133. 3. 0. 0.
Shows how truly bad IU has been. Would think similar snapshots at any point in the last 75-100 years would produce similarly dismal results.

It does. But what is remarkable is that IU still has loyal fans with that kind of record. We all know how bad they have been. Hope springs eternal I guess.

Reactions: td75
That's exactly right, all of the losing and there's still a sizeable contingent. This is exactly why iu has a higher ceiling than purdue. If iu ever makes the correct coaching hire, Purdue will forever be in IU's rear view mirror.

That should scare the hell out of Purdue fans. It's just not a sexy place, it's just not.

That's exactly right, all of the losing and there's still a sizeable contingent. This is exactly why iu has a higher ceiling than purdue. If iu ever makes the correct coaching hire, Purdue will forever be in IU's rear view mirror.

That should scare the hell out of Purdue fans. It's just not a sexy place, it's just not.
And you think IU and small town Bloomington are "sexy places"?

Absolutely, Bloomington has an overall appeal, charm, woods setting, rolling hill setting that's very appealing. Compare that to the cornfields of purdue, and well, there's truly no comparison.

It's why most people expect iu to use that to their advantage in recruiting. The atmosphere, or surroundings, are tangibly better than purdue and there's NOTHING purdue can do about it.

Absolutely, Bloomington has an overall appeal, charm, woods setting, rolling hill setting that's very appealing. Compare that to the cornfields of purdue, and well, there's truly no comparison.

It's why most people expect iu to use that to their advantage in recruiting. The atmosphere, or surroundings, are tangibly better than purdue and there's NOTHING purdue can do about it.
If your only interest is a comparison to Purdue, that's kind of a low bar for both places, isn't it? IU has a prettier campus, PU is generally considered to be a step up academically, neither have set the world on fire football wise, though PU is historically better. Being better in football than PU should be the bare minimum, I would think.

Oh yeah, I'm with you 100% on the whole idea about setting the bar higher.

That doesn’t scare me at all. It does in basketball obviously but in football? No way. I don’t envision a scenario where Purdue would forever be in IU’s rear view mirror in football. I disagree that IU has the higher ceiling too.

I think you’re putting way too much into campus being a big reason why kids choose a school. Does it matter? I’d say it does but it’s often going to be less important than program prestige, playing time availability, coaching staff, academics, style of play, etc. I can’t recall losing a recruit to IU mainly due to the campus. I think you’re overestimating the impact campus has on a recruit picking a school. A program like Purdue can easily overcome a subpar campus with all of the things I listed above.

I think you’re putting way too much into campus being a big reason why kids choose a school. Does it matter? I’d say it does but it’s often going to be less important than program prestige, playing time availability, coaching staff, academics, style of play, etc. I can’t recall losing a recruit to IU mainly due to the campus. I think you’re overestimating the impact campus has on a recruit picking a school. A program like Purdue can easily overcome a subpar campus with all of the things I listed above.

Academics are an advantage for one program or the other only to the extent that a recruit has a specific major in mind. PU obviously would have an advantage for recruits interested in engineering, ag, aeronautics or pharmacy while IU has the advantage for business, medicine, law, environmental affairs or the arts.

This is a recruit-specific argument for recruiting overall just as campuses are. Coaching, style of play, where the recruit fits in, location...are things that matter

Northwestern is not a mid level team when looking at things historically. It takes decades of sustained success and Northwestern would need to continue on this path for a lot longer to jump up from a lower level team. Northwestern before Fitzgerald was one of the worst P5 teams in all of college football. They don’t jump to mid level just because of what Fitz has done IMO. You can’t say Minnesota is lower level and Northwestern is mid level. That’s just false.

I'm not sure what parameters are being used in this debate but I consider Northwestern mid to higher tier, hovering below the traditional 4 or so. Northwestern has had solid success since 1995. That's 22 years. That is through Barnett, Randy Walker and Fitz.

That's near the same amount of time as Wisconsin since their rise in 1993 and Wisconsin was terrible throughout the 70s and 80s.

Reactions: ESalum86
Way before my time. What was it?

You need to read this. Akers Angels was something from his Texas days. All of the southern football programs had a tradition called "hostessing."

Is that a word? Anywhoo..... it was this tradition of pairing up pretty,young co-eds with recruits on their visits. Nobody really wants to admit this but it was a form of prostitution. It was supposed to be this "southern belle "innocent thing but there was a lot of shady stuff going on. It's no different than some of the stuff that happened with Louisville or Minnesota, with the incident where they "ran a train" on that girl. Been going on forever.

https://www.si.com/vault/1987/08/31...e-hostesses-help-colleges-lasso-top-prospects

You need to read this. Akers Angels was something from his Texas days. All of the southern football programs had a tradition called "hostessing."

Is that a word? Anywhoo..... it was this tradition of pairing up pretty,young co-eds with recruits on their visits. Nobody really wants to admit this but it was a form of prostitution. It was supposed to be this "southern belle "innocent thing but there was a lot of shady stuff going on. It's no different than some of the stuff that happened with Louisville or Minnesota, with the incident where they "ran a train" on that girl. Been going on forever.

https://www.si.com/vault/1987/08/31...e-hostesses-help-colleges-lasso-top-prospects

It wasn't just his TX days.

The fact they went to the Rose Bowl at a pedestrian 8-4, tells me all I need to know...lol...

At least I can remember the last time Purdue went to the Rose Bowl...Trent Green being in the IUHOF tells me all I need to know...lol...

At least I can remember the last time Purdue went to the Rose Bowl...Trent Green being in the IUHOF tells me all I need to know...lol...

Trent was a solid QB and is an outstanding human being, no problem with him being in the HOF.

Reactions: Mr_Scott
Trent was a solid QB and is an outstanding human being, no problem with him being in the HOF.

Never questioned him as a person. He had a decent career with the Chiefs, gave some money to IU for a weight room, and got a HOF nod. His career numbers were a bad season for Orton (neckbeard as you like to call him)...

Never questioned him as a person. He had a decent career with the Chiefs, gave some money to IU for a weight room, and got a HOF nod. His career numbers were a bad season for Orton (neckbeard as you like to call him)...

Orton...lol. Haven't seen those bar photos in a while.

And when was the last time PU went to the Rose Bowl before that? That's what I thought. You must be pretty impressed with IU's trip to the NCAA b-ball championship in 2002: that happened even sooner than the 8-4 Rose Bowl team.

Trent Green's NFL numbers are considerably better than Orton's: what point are you trying to make there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Scott
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT