ADVERTISEMENT

This team is in serious jeopardy of not making the B1G tournament...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
which takes the top eight teams, if they don't turn it around ASAP. A sweep of Rutgers at home next weekend is a must in my opinion.

In the last 7 games we are 2-5. Here is the...

opponents' scoring by inning:

1st 10 runs

2nd 11 runs

3rd 5 runs

4th 2 runs

5th 2 runs

6th 0 runs

7th 4 runs

8th 11 runs

9th 1 run

We are giving up too many runs in the 1st thru 3rd innings and then having to play from behind. The 8th inning is an aberration because UM scored 7 runs against us in that inning. Otherwise, we have had only 4 runs scored against us in the 8th. Maybe Lemonis should be keeping a shorter leash on the starting pitchers.

I agree that this series against Rutgers is crucial. RU is a team that is mediocre on a good day. They have a couple of good hitters in Zarrillo and Marcinczyk at .327, and Freeman, who has not started all games, is .309. It drops off quickly thereafter and the team average is .248 The team ERA is 6.25. If we can't beat these guys at home, that will be very telling. I suppose we could live with 2 out of 3, but we'd have to pick up a lot of wins later on against much better quality teams.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could do IQ tests before

people like this have the ability to post idiotic things like this .

yes. love Kevin Wilson. hope he gets to 6 wins this year*

nm

Ridiculous statement. Please don't turn this forum into what it's like...

on the hoops forum.

I'm new to Big Ten baseball...

...is it common for coaches to "encourage the development" of pitchers by letting them work their way out of early-inning jams earlier in the season? That is, are they willing to give away some games early on, in order to strengthen the starting rotation for the tournament run?

If coaches were simply trying to play to win each game--yanking starters early, starting only the best players--is that considered a bad strategy for long-term development?

Oh well good.

It was certainly big of you to give Lemonis half a year after losing the best players in program history before declaring the program destroyed.

Good question. I don't know. It's got to be bad for a...

pitcher's psyche to pull him every time there's a sign of trouble, and it's got to be good for their confidence to pitch themselves out of trouble. But there are days when a pitcher just doesn't seem to "have it," and I think he should be pulled quicker.

Re: Oh well good.

Lemonis is good coach.....IU baseball will be fine.....as noted, team lost a lot of players from last year's team and Big Ten is the best it has been in years.....Talk is that 4 teams will get in tourney......Lemonis will recruit well and IU baseball will be fun to watch.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT