ADVERTISEMENT

This Team Has Evolved…..

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
……and it’s starting to establish an identity of its “program” standards and that is poor defense will simply not be tolerated. That is Woody’s Golden Rule: you play defense. Period.

Was initially highly suspicious of this weird coaching arrangement, this weird trifecta of guys in Fife and Matta and Woodson, who were all 3 former head coaches. Fans confused if it was Matta and Woodson in some kind of co-head coaching roles.
This is not the case at all. Woodson has his stamp and personality all over this program right now. He’s starting to evolve this group
The coaching this year vs the Lil’ Arch era is like night and day. No comparison. Although just a little guy, Lil’ Arch cast this enormous cloud of doom hovering the entire time he was here. Woodson has a team chemistry going now. Feels like a team that likes playing together. The Lil Arch crew played like they were miserable out there.
Was extremely pessimistic on the hire of a guy who inly coached in the NBA. Thought: “Well, IU is up to its old trucks again, this time hiring an alum who’s never coached a game in college his entire career.” Completely wrong on that one too. Woodson pushed some right button with this group. This defense is tenacious and that is simply playing harder that the guy across from you. That’s coaching. This defense makes the “packline” defense look more like the “pack fudge” defense. I don’t even know what this novel alignment was supposed to do but it was a whole lot of crap. This is called playing defense.
Woody got their attention……..oh, and that Galloway kid. He plays like that prototypical Bobby Knight player. All the little things, the hustle plays. Max effort on everything. That kid is like team glue. You keep playing him and he gets things moving. Quickly becoming one of the fan favorites. Like a flashback to those smart players we had under RMK. Damon Bailey, for example Was definitely not the best player on the floor in his starting 5 but……man, the feel he had for the game was phenomenal. He’d be bring the ball up the court under pressure and he had this knack for getting ducked under the defender and then just stopping his forward motion on a dime and let those guys just run over him. Damon to the free throw line. Chris Reynolds - another perfect example. Just a heady, smart guard who had great feel for the game.
Woody is molding this group.

Last edited:
……and it’s starting to establish an identity of its “program” standards and that is poor defense will simply not be tolerated. That is Woody’s Golden Rule: you play defense. Period.

Was initially highly suspicious of this weird coaching arrangement, this weird trifecta of guys in Fife and Matta and Woodson, who were all 3 former head coaches. Fans confused if it was Matta and Woodson in some kind of co-head coaching roles.
This is not the case at all. Woodson has his stamp and personality all over this program right now. He’s starting to evolve this group
The coaching this year vs the Lil’ Arch era is like night and day. No comparison. Although just a little guy, Lil’ Arch cast this enormous cloud of doom hovering the entire time he was here. Woodson has a team chemistry going now. Feels like a team that likes playing together. The Lil Arch crew played like they were miserable out there.
Was extremely pessimistic on the hire of a guy who inly coached in the NBA. Thought: “Well, IU is up to its old trucks again, this time hiring an alum who’s never coached a game in college his entire career.” Completely wrong on that one too. Woodson pushed some right button with this group. This defense is tenacious and that is simply playing harder that the guy across from you. That’s coaching. This defense makes the “packline” defense look more like the “pack fudge” defense. I don’t even know what this novel alignment was supposed to do but it was a whole lot of crap. This is called playing defense.
Woody got their attention……..oh, and that Galloway kid. He plays like that prototypical Bobby Knight player. All the little things, the hustle plays. Max effort on everything. That kid is like team glue. You keep playing him and he gets things moving. Quickly becoming one of the fan favorites. Like a flashback to those smart players we had under RMK. Damon Bailey, for example Was definitely not the best player on the floor in his starting 5 but……man, the feel he had for the game was phenomenal. He’d be bring the ball up the court under pressure and he had this knack for getting ducked under the defender and then just stopping his forward motion on a dime and let those guys just run over him. Damon to the free throw line. Chris Reynolds - another perfect example. Just a heady, smart guard who had great feel for the game.
There will be more head scratchers as this team continues to grow, but they have been building all year. I see you are finally coming around considering how negative you have been.

Sounds like “this team is going to be elite at defense and playing it’s best ball come March” was a good prediction then, ya? :).

Okay I'll be Mr "Yeah But...." Yeah they look great, but it's only Penn Stte and Maryland. Let's see how we handle Illinois and MSU.
Agree..
I'm happy..We're definitely trending up..Progress for sure.
But..Purdue at Mackey..MSU.
Illinois..All could be big reality checks....
But we should get in the tournament..I think we all love the thought of that..Even if it's a higher seed..

Reactions: iulb
Okay I'll be Mr "Yeah But...." Yeah they look great, but it's only Penn Stte and Maryland. Let's see how we handle Illinois and MSU.
This past week was only Penn State and Maryland. But in previous weeks it was Ohio State and Purdue. We figured there would be ups and down, but this team has competed well against everyone - aside from Michigan.

Sh!t, one road loss and this post is up in flames. You on board or will it be the apocalypse at your house? Jk.

Just stop. As recently as the Purdue game, you said this team would be a deer in headlights or some nonsense. You don't roll back in and spout off about the development of Woody's team.

Just stop. As recently as the Purdue game, you said this team would be a deer in headlights or some nonsense. You don't roll back in and spout off about the development of Woody's team.
It is said, "To err is human...". As he already publicly 'fell on his sword', reckon he deserves another chance. No exclusivity on the 'bandwagon' in any case - if there was wouldn't be nearly so many idiots hereabouts.

Some what bleed cream and crimson required more convincing than others - so welcome back the Bison, older and hopefully wiser is he.

"Fans confused", damn few were confused about the staff and what man would be putting his brand on the program. He'd been a HC in the pros. Did some really think he'd make a career change to be part of an experiment or be a figurehead. Very narrow conjure considering the position basketball holds in the state.

Reactions: asindc

nice post

I'm not there yet.

this program still doesn't show up every night...like Michigan

Reactions: IUgradman
It’s obvious we’re not going to dominate Illinois or MSU like we did PSU and MD. I will be looking for the same defensive intensity and toughness I’ve seen in the last two games. This team was embarrassed at home by MI and it looks it didn’t sit well with our players. That’s the first time in a looooooooooooong time I’ve seen an IU team look pissed about a loss and come out looking like they want to prove something.
I’m not used to seeing IU be tough. I sat right here watching the game yesterday and after MD hit those two threes and another shot to go up 8-0 I said to myself “well, shit, here we go again with some mediocre team shooting insane against us”. Meanwhile, our team was saying “no, f*** this, this shit ain’t happening today”.

There will be more head scratchers as this team continues to grow, but they have been building all year. I see you are finally coming around considering how negative you have been.
Iirc Big red said Woodson teams will be standing around and play weak defense. I enjoy watching IU basketball for the exact opposite reason, the hustle and defense is back after a very long absence

Find a program that does "show up every night." Kansas got their ass handed to them yesterday at home by a very good UK team.
And “invincible” Purdue has 3 conference losses and today gave up a 20 point lead at home to Ohio St. and had to win it on a last second shot. Some IU fans are just unrealistic, especially for a team that was pieced together just 8 months ago. Woodson deserves huge accolades in my book.

Find a program that does "show up every night." Kansas got their ass handed to them yesterday at home by a very good UK team.
I looked at the stats and watched the game. It was 2 point percentage defense that won that UK game. Same amount of shots and free throws. Defense wins games. Kansas couldn’t get any great looks.

Reactions: TomEric4756
And “invincible” Purdue has 3 conference losses and today gave up a 20 point lead at home to Ohio St. and had to win it on a last second shot. Some IU fans are just unrealistic, especially for a team that was pieced together just 8 months ago. Woodson deserves huge accolades in my book.
I think they call that coaching. Nice to see it back at IU.

At this point the only win that would surprise me would be at Purdue. Lots to overcome there. MSU will be tough, obviously, but it's winnable. I'll predict a win over IL right now.

The Bahamian exhibition trip was about installing the defense, and finding the players willing to play defense with effort. It set the tone and expectations for defensive play. It confirmed that CMW was in charge. +/- metrics reflect the number of defensive breakdowns a player makes. Let’s keep playing defense first … it’s not broken … let’s not fix it

I like our chances v. Illinois, at NU, at OSU … let’s keep playing them one at a time.

I’ve actually been following (as in tickets, money and road-trips -multiple for football AND basketball ) before you were in diapers there, peanut. Have more invested in this university than you do. Sit down and shut up, junior!

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Welcome aboard! Glad you see what Woody has done and is doing.

I’ve actually been following (as in tickets, money and road-trips -multiple for football AND basketball ) before you were in diapers there, peanut. Have more invested in this university than you do. Sit down and shut up, junior!
I’m sure you do…boomer. 🤣🤫 I’m sure your and Lucy can hang out and cry about things that won’t happen.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
nice post

I'm not there yet.

Just so you know, IU is leading the Big Ten in fewest points given up both for Big Ten Games only and for all games.

That's not an insignificant ranking this late in the season. I thought the Michigan loss was mostly due to bad offense, not bad defense. Our bad offense made it easier for Michigan to score, so I'm blaming the offense.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I’m sure you do…boomer. 🤣🤫 I’m sure your and Lucy can hang out and cry about things that won’t happen.
Sure. You’ll be there some day ….boomer status that is…and likely have a snot-nosed poster just like yourself trying to lecture you.
And, anyone with a handle calling some player “my boy” is offensive. So, sit down and shut up with that stuff. “My boy.” I know it wasn’t meant to offend but you should change that shit.

nice post

I'm not there yet.

You mean the way Michigan came out after beating us and struggling against a sub 500 team and BARELY won at northwestern? You mean showing up like that!?!

Sure. You’ll be there some day ….boomer status that is…and likely have a snot-nosed poster just like yourself trying to lecture you.
And, anyone with a handle calling some player “my boy” is offensive. So, sit down and shut up with that stuff. “My boy.” I know it wasn’t meant to offend but you should change that shit.
Don’t lecture me after flip flopping like a fish. The only one that thinks “my boy” is offensive is a boomer….Boomer. You sit down on your prostatic doughnut. Take Lucy as your caretaker. Now. 🤫

Last edited:
Doubt it.
I’m sure he has. It’s all he’s got I’m sure. Explains the crying and obsessed behavior. His mind and body have given out from years of worry. Worrying about his expenditures and how to express that he’s “mr. IU. Done more and knows more than the rest of us. He brings passion I’ll give him that much. Ra ra when things are good and all frowns and screams when they are bad.

Reactions: Cutter1973
I’m sure he has. It’s all he’s got I’m sure. Explains the crying and obsessed behavior. His mind and body have given out from years of worry. Worrying about his expenditures and how to express that he’s “mr. IU. Done more and knows more than the rest of us. He brings passion I’ll give him that much. Ra ra when things are good and all frowns and screams when they are bad.
Go ahead and call Vic Oladipo in person “my boy.” I’ll buy popcorn to watch your lily white, millennial ass walk up to him and call him your “boy.”
😂
You’re young. Young and shit for brains. Now go listen to some damn Meatloaf and chill, Karen.

Go ahead and call Vic Oladipo in person “my boy.” I’ll buy popcorn to watch your lily white, millennial ass walk up to him and call him your “boy.”
😂
You’re young. Young and shit for brains. Now go listen to some damn Meatloaf and chill, Karen.
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. A Karen gets emotional. You clearly are emotional. Now go take your meds.

i love that you can see the improvement CONTINUALLY going on over the season. I am feeling confident that the team will be playing its best basketball at the end of the season. If it does, I can live with the results,

Reactions: hatchetdad
Iirc Big red said Woodson teams will be standing around and play weak defense. I enjoy watching IU basketball for the exact opposite reason, the hustle and defense is back after a very long absence
Incorrect I actually said that my worry with Woody’s NBA background, and the fact that virtually no team in the NBA plays anything more than a half-assed defense, would he value it enough as expected? The outcome was that he brought none of the laissez fair NBA stuff with him and his team appears more RMK than NBA. And, you can’t go wrong there.
Let’s face it: the NBA is hot garbage. Terrible entertainment value. A bunch of multimillionaires jogging back on defense? No thank you.
You have to be nearly desperate to watch an NBA game. Like only thing on is infomercials kind of desperate.

Incorrect I actually said that my worry with Woody’s NBA background, and the fact that virtually no team in the NBA plays anything more than a half-assed defense, would he value it enough as expected? The outcome was that he brought none of the laissez fair NBA stuff with him and his team appears more RMK than NBA. And, you can’t go wrong there.
Let’s face it: the NBA is hot garbage. Terrible entertainment value. A bunch of multimillionaires jogging back on defense? No thank you.
You have to be nearly desperate to watch an NBA game. Like only thing on is infomercials kind of desperate.
You even watch the NBA? You obviously didn’t watch woodys teams. He came up with NBA defensive concepts still used today. He’s a damn defensive genius. He’s the best coach we’ve had since Sampson. 🤦🏻

You even watch the NBA? You obviously didn’t watch woodys teams. He came up with NBA defensive concepts still used today. He’s a damn defensive genius. He’s the best coach we’ve had since Sampson. 🤦🏻
Turned off the NBA long ago. The execution of defense in the NBA is a joke. The last entertaining thing to come out of the NBA was when LeBron was appointed as the NBA spokesperson during the civil unrest. Sure, let the most polarizing guy in the league be the person out front. It’s terrible basketball and you know it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT