ADVERTISEMENT

This is all that really needs to be said about anti-vaxxers....

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
Obviously this guy is making these statements from an emotional place, but he's spot on (link has NSFW language).

If you're not going to get vaccinated because you think COVID is a hoax or not a big deal, then yeah, OK that's your right. If you get sick with COVID and start to realize that it really is a 'big deal' or 'no joke', people are losing patience with your comin' to Jesus moment in the hospital.

He makes a good point. If you don't trust the medical field then why run to the hospital when ill?

And it's another example of where someone's personal decision is negatively effecting others.
What's crazy to me is that anyone with an ounce of self-awareness should realize the likelihood that if you're in the hospital suffering from a virus you thought was made up and/or wasn't a big deal, you're probably taking up space that someone like this guy's wife needs.

I guess 'self-awareness' is the key here. I'd guess most anti-vaxxers are selfish people and don't really care how their actions impact others. I remember reading that it was mistake to position the vaccine or mask wearing as something that helps those around you because a good number of people in this country just don't care about their fellow citizens. This guy's wife being rushed out of the hospital is another example of that.

To be clear, I'm not saying hospitals should turn sick people away. I think the Hippocratic oath should supercede any and all differences or biases doctors may have. That said, I wish anti-vaxxers weren't sniveling little wussies and walk the freaking talk.

He makes a good point. If you don't trust the medical field then why run to the hospital when ill?

And it's another example of where someone's personal decision is negatively effecting others.
This school board meeting is a perfect example. These folks in TN became completely unhinged in response to MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS testifying at the board's invitation regarding mask mandates to protect unvaccinated youngins...

I mean this one guy who seems particularly uneducated on the subject appears ready to KILL over an issue as silly as a cloth mask. I can't even imagine what ulterior motive he perceives that medical people who dedicate their lives to protecting and healing people have in trying to violate what he (incorrectly) assumes is his Constitutional right to elevate his individual rights over the collective rights of others...

Trump has unleashed a pack of LUNATICS on society...A LOUD minority, but still a definite minority...

This school board meeting is a perfect example. These folks in TN became completely unhinged in response to MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS testifying at the board's invitation regarding mask mandates to protect unvaccinated youngins...

I mean this one guy who seems particularly uneducated on the subject appears ready to KILL over an issue as silly as a cloth mask. I can't even imagine what ulterior motive he perceives that medical people who dedicate their lives to protecting and healing people have in trying to violate what he (incorrectly) assumes is his Constitutional right to elevate his individual rights over the collective rights of others...

Trump has unleashed a pack of LUNATICS on society...A LOUD minority, but still a definite minority...

That's exactly the type of behavior some posters on here are condoning.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Obviously this guy is making these statements from an emotional place, but he's spot on (link has NSFW language).

If you're not going to get vaccinated because you think COVID is a hoax or not a big deal, then yeah, OK that's your right. If you get sick with COVID and start to realize that it really is a 'big deal' or 'no joke', people are losing patience with your comin' to Jesus moment in the hospital.
What do you think we should do with other medical conditions resulting from life-style choices? I’m thinking of type II diabetics, obesity, and hypertension. Diet and exercise reduces not only the incidence of these conditions, but their severity. Yet we choose to not lecture about this while the medical units in most hospitals are populated with these patients. These conditions are more prevalent in POC. Should that make a difference?

These are complicated policy and ethical questions. One f-bomb-ladened rant doesn’t help much.

Last edited:

These are truly the worst people. What are we doing?

Why even have a democratically elected body if all it did was implement the opinion of medical professionals? First of all, other medical professionals opine, with substantial evidence, that mask mandates for young kids cause physical, mental, and emotional problems with very little if any benefit. Secondly, it’s the job of the school board to consider expert advice, not follow it while disregarding important non medical considerations. This whole issue is rooted in the notion that Covid is a death sentence. That risk needs to be taken in context. Kids get killed or injured walking to school too.

Last edited:
Why even have a democratically elected body if all it did was implement the opinion of medical professionals?
i thought that your position is that decisions ought to always be made on the local level rather than having some top-down one size fits all ruling?

If a school district in Florida realizes that the situation is out of control in their district, let them take appropriate measures. If a school district in Live Free or Die New Hampshire realizes that the situation is totally under control due to widespread intelligence in their district, let them decide that it's time to party like it's 1999.

i thought that your position is that decisions ought to always be made on the local level rather than having some top-down one size fits all ruling?

If a school district in Florida realizes that the situation is out of control in their district, let them take appropriate measures. If a school district in Live Free or Die New Hampshire realizes that the situation is totally under control due to widespread intelligence in their district, let them decide that it's time to party like it's 1999.
?

Local politicians assessing the local situation and adjusting policies accordingly. Is that preferred over a POTUS/governor/Health czar imposing a blanket one size fits all policy?

A state or federal government saying that it is illegal to have mask requirements in any locality seems to be very much against the concept of local governance, a concept that most claim is one that Republicans hold dear.

Much as a living wage for NYC is different than a living wage for Gnaw Bone Indiana, and so one size fits all minimum wage laws are nonsensical, from a GOP perspective.

There seems to be a disconnect in governing philosophy, that's all.

Local politicians assessing the local situation and adjusting policies accordingly. Is that preferred over a POTUS/governor/Health czar imposing a blanket one size fits all policy?

A state or federal government saying that it is illegal to have mask requirements in any locality seems to be very much against the concept of local governance, a concept that most claim is one that Republicans hold dear.

Much as a living wage for NYC is different than a living wage for Gnaw Bone Indiana, and so one size fits all minimum wage laws are nonsensical, from a GOP perspective.

There seems to be a disconnect in governing philosophy, that's all.

I think it depends on which party is coming up with the policy.

What do you think we should do with other medical conditions resulting from life-style choices? I’m thinking of type II diabetics, obesity, and hypertension. Diet and exercise reduces not only the incidence of these conditions, but their severity. Yet we choose to not lecture about this while the medical units in most hospitals are populated with these patients. These conditions are more prevalent in POC. Should that make a difference?

These are complicated policy and ethical questions. One f-bomb-ladened rant doesn’t help much.
While I agree that food borne illnesses are a problem and a preventable drain on our healthcare system, we’ve more or less budgeted for them in the current setup. No one is being asked to leave a hospital to make way for type 2 diabetics. But generally speaking, we as a society should do more to curb the obesity epidemic.

And I think this guy’s emotionally charged message is along the lines the anti-vaxxers need to take.

It is a lot easier to get a vaccine. Someone can want to lose weight and have trouble accomplishing it. The comparison is completely apples to oranges.

Reactions: bigmac76
What do you think we should do with other medical conditions resulting from life-style choices? I’m thinking of type II diabetics, obesity, and hypertension. Diet and exercise reduces not only the incidence of these conditions, but their severity.
You might have a point if there was a free, immediately available shot you could get that would prevent diabetes, obesity, or hypertension in the vast majority of cases.

Hospitals are not, and do not, overflow with those patients. Anti-vaxxers are creating a health care crisis.

Can see the link but I read a rant somewhere and the person asked why anti-vaxxers and Covid-is-a-hoax folks go to the hospital since the hospital is full of people they don’t trust.

Hospitals are not, and do not, overflow with those patients. Anti-vaxxers are creating a health care crisis.
So for you, the medical ethical issues involving individual rights and responsibilities depend on our ability to treat. Got it.

You might have a point if there was a free, immediately available shot you could get that would prevent diabetes, obesity, or hypertension in the vast majority of cases.
So you would force the issue with compelled medication but not penalize poor life-style choices?

Reactions: DANC
Absolutely penalize poor life style choices, if they create a public health emergency, threaten national security, and are bringing the economy to its knees. Especially if those choices harm other people besides the one making the poor choice.

It's high bar, as it should be, to infringe on an individual's ability to decide how they live.

Say what you want, generally, but don't you dare yell "fire" in a crowded theater. There are limits that take into account the public good.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Your denial is unconvincing.
I'm not denying your point that we spend too much on healthcare due to unhealthy lifestyles. I'm just saying that if I'm sitting in Mississippi reading about hospitals putting ICU wards in tents, or in Alabama reading about veteran ICU nurses quitting because they're overwhelmed by preventable COVID cases, and I still refuse to be vaccinated - then I totally understand people's frustration.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Absolutely penalize poor life style choices, if they create a public health emergency, threaten national security, and are bringing the economy to its knees. Especially if those choices harm other people besides the one making the poor choice.

It's high bar, as it should be, to infringe on an individual's ability to decide how they live.

Say what you want, generally, but don't you dare yell "fire" in a crowded theater. There are limits that take into account the public good.
You are right that we are searching for equilibrium between individual rights and social good. I don’t see a public health emergency now that vaccines are available nor do I see a reason to couch this in terms of a.security threat or bringing the economy to its knees. That comes from the unvaxxed are murderers crowd of which you seem to be a member. . And you claim to be motivated by science instead of emotion? The message needs to be get a vaccine, take reasonable precautions when in crowds wash your hands and live normally. The idea that an unvaxxed snd unmasked 1st grader can kill a vaxxed adult is total B S snd we need to stop thinking that way.

I was in and out of Bloomington Hospital several times today. At the only open entrance was a lady handing you a new mask and asking all the Covid questions -- fever, cough, smell and taste, ect. The one question she didn't ask was "Have you been vaccinated?" That's how dumb this shit has gotten.

And obesity costs all of us more in premiums than all of COVID. There are lots of reasons to be mad at anti-vaxxers. The video in the OP nails today's top one.
I just cannot figure out why steps to fight a plague are being opposed. I mean I get fighting a shutdown, it would be silly to go back to that. But vaccines, masks, distancing?

Sadly, I think if we have a far worse plague in 10 years, one that kills 10% of infected, we won't do a thing to fight it.

And obesity costs all of us more in premiums than all of COVID. There are lots of reasons to be mad at anti-vaxxers. The video in the OP nails today's top one.
Many, if not most, of Covid hospitalizations are obese people. Diabetics are a close second if not first. Both are life-style conditions.

If I ran the world I would say you will be charged a deductible for your treatment at the hospital as you could have reduced the costs. I'm surprised that the insurance companies aren't making a bigger deal about these horrible costs associated with Covid treatments and failure to getting vaccinated?

Reactions: billyhillui
I just cannot figure out why steps to fight a plague are being opposed. I mean I get fighting a shutdown, it would be silly to go back to that. But vaccines, masks, distancing?

Sadly, I think if we have a far worse plague in 10 years, one that kills 10% of infected, we won't do a thing to fight it.
Where does the death rate of 10% come from? I hadn’t heard that for vaccinated people.

I don’t think we are discussing the wisdom of vaccines. At least I am not. I am vaccinated and I will take the booster if that is necessary I am comfortable and feel pretty secure with that plus my reasonable precautions and immune system care. I really don’t understand what mandates add to my protection.

We need to concentrate on getting more vaccines administered without the Biden and Democratic name calling of those who are not yet convinced.

Reactions: jet812
What if it wasn't approved by the FDA?

Where does the death rate of 10% come from? I hadn’t heard that for vaccinated people.

I don’t think we are discussing the wisdom of vaccines. At least I am not. I am vaccinated and I will take the booster if that is necessary I am comfortable and feel pretty secure with that plus my reasonable precautions and immune system care. I really don’t understand what mandates add to my protection.

We need to concentrate on getting more vaccines administered without the Biden and Democratic name calling of those who are not yet convinced.
Marvin likes to build straw men. It's so much easier than actually responding to what anyone's written.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT