ADVERTISEMENT

The Thrill is Gone

Amazing how many Repubs want to respond to this by denigrating Dem policy instead of asking where the GOP went wrong.
The GOP actually did go through the soul searching process during the autopsy. The problem is they just said f$ck it! and decided to hitch their wagon to a big idiot baby who called people names. Many of them are still in that same place.

Amazing how many Repubs want to respond to this by denigrating Dem policy instead of asking where the GOP went wrong.
Single women by and large became one person voters around abortion, Trump is an anchor in some areas (I have said DeSantis needs to be the nominee in 24 for months now), and we are generally a 50/50 country anyway.

The single women being wives of the Democrat party is the only thing I have seen come out of the exit polling that appeared to be undercounted before. As far as that goes? Oh well. That issue is going to fall further into the rear view as time goes on. Lindsay Graham in his infinite stupidity brought the total ban bill up right before the election because he has a habit of failing to read the room. The Democrats took a beating after passing ACA, they thought it was right thing to do, so they dealt with the loss.

Trump is the issue though and his proclivity to pick bad candidates. Oz and Walker were bad candidates. Even with the abortion headwinds, the GOP would still be in control of the House and Senate (and still may be) if not for Trump scaring away independents.

No navel gazing because we have the blueprint down in Florida already.

It’s obvious where the pubs went wrong. Trump needs to get out of the mix and abortion.

Biden had over 50% disapproval rate. The real problem is dumb voters. They’re unhappy but keep voting for their person.

I think so but.....

Most of America ain't Florida and it never will be. It's a state that prints money. People WANT to go there. I know they've made the state more business friendly but that probably won't work as well in a state like PA. I think DeSantis will need to soft pivot on some issues to break the blue wall of PA, WI, MI. Even if he picks up AZ he needs 1-2 of those states as well.

He will be a formidable candidate but the Pubs let Beetlejuice out and now have to put him back in his place. Good luck with that.

75% of those voters said the country was headed the wrong direction. I guess most are stupid. They voted for the same people who led us in the wrong direction.
"Wrong direction" can mean a lot of things to a lot of people.

It can mean they don't like how prevalent MAGA still is. It can mean they don't like overturning Roe. It can mean they don't like wokeism. It can mean they don't like the inflation.

It can mean they don't like how prevalent MAGA still is. It can mean they don't like overturning Roe. It can mean they don't like wokeism. It can mean they don't like the inflation.
And more confusing, and just listen for a minute, some people view each issue separately and apart from a party dogma lens. I don’t like MAGA and I don’t like wokeism. I don’t agree with near total abortion restrictions and I also hate inflation.

Reactions: IUPaterade724

You’re right, but one party had the House, Senate and Presidency the last two years.

The Biden Administratiin is a disaster no matter what ”wrong direction” means.

3759557312d24c4182a796f755e9a5fc.png

Reactions: Crayfish57
The Biden Administratiin is a disaster no matter what ”wrong direction” means.

3759557312d24c4182a796f755e9a5fc.png
I agree and think that means the GOP bears responsibility to bring forth a qualified challenger in 24. If it’s Trump, then it means the GOP is a disaster as well.

I agree and think that means the GOP bears responsibility to bring forth a qualified challenger in 24. If it’s Trump, then it means the GOP is a disaster as well.
Quit acting like “The GOP” must do this or that. Several years ago the country went through an “increase Democracy!” convulsion and increased the number and effects of primaries. Voters decide candidates, not parties. Trump crashed the party in 2016 over the early objection of many in the GOP. I think voting is too susceptible to money, manipulation, and marketing. We need to figure out a better way to conduct campaigns.

This is why I said, and still say, there is too much voting in the country, not too little.

Trump is an anchor in some areas
How do you get rid of Trump when the media and the Democrats keep him in the forefront because he's the best ammunition they have to beat Republicans?

How do you get rid of Trump when the media and the Democrats keep him in the forefront because he's the best ammunition they have to beat Republicans?
Right. Trump is a totally unwilling participant. No Republicans like him or call on him to support them or come to their rallies. It's all just the media and the libs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bigmac76
I think he is starting to wear out his welcome on his own.

Reactions: stollcpa

Trump keeps himself in the limelight, the media just reports what he does. Trump is FAR more visible than Bush or Obama were after their terms. Trump loves the limelight, and the media love showing the train wreck because it gets clicks. He won't do the "old soldiers just fade away" trick.

Trump keeps himself in the limelight, the media just reports what he does. Trump is FAR more visible than Bush or Obama were after their terms. Trump loves the limelight, and the media love showing the train wreck because it gets clicks. He won't do the "old soldiers just fade away" trick.
I agree with that... he tries to keep himself in the limelight and the media helps him to stay there, They know that helps the Democrats. And there are some stupid Republican politicians that help keep him in the limelight. Obama has been more visible than Bush but he's not tried to stay front and center. Has Bush even campaigned for anyone? He may have and I just don't know it since I don't try to keep up on that stuff.

I agree with that... he tries to keep himself in the limelight and the media helps him to stay there, They know that helps the Democrats. And there are some stupid Republican politicians that help keep him in the limelight. Obama has been more visible than Bush but he's not tried to stay front and center. Has Bush even campaigned for anyone? He may have and I just don't know it since I don't try to keep up on that stuff.
Bush campaigned for a Republican Senate candidate in Colorado, who lost in the primary. I am not certain of others.

I am just skeptical that malice plays much of a role here. News media people LOVE clicks. A headline with Trump's name gets clicks. When it stops getting clicks, they will stop using it.

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
Quit acting like “The GOP” must do this or that. Several years ago the country went through an “increase Democracy!” convulsion and increased the number and effects of primaries. Voters decide candidates, not parties. Trump crashed the party in 2016 over the early objection of many in the GOP. I think voting is too susceptible to money, manipulation, and marketing. We need to figure out a better way to conduct campaigns.

This is why I said, and still say, there is too much voting in the country, not too little.

Citizens United runs elections. If you are serious about this sentiment, then it needs to go.

Single women by and large became one person voters around abortion, Trump is an anchor in some areas (I have said DeSantis needs to be the nominee in 24 for months now), and we are generally a 50/50 country anyway.

The single women being wives of the Democrat party is the only thing I have seen come out of the exit polling that appeared to be undercounted before. As far as that goes? Oh well. That issue is going to fall further into the rear view as time goes on. Lindsay Graham in his infinite stupidity brought the total ban bill up right before the election because he has a habit of failing to read the room. The Democrats took a beating after passing ACA, they thought it was right thing to do, so they dealt with the loss.

Trump is the issue though and his proclivity to pick bad candidates. Oz and Walker were bad candidates. Even with the abortion headwinds, the GOP would still be in control of the House and Senate (and still may be) if not for Trump scaring away independents.

I haven't bothered to verify it, but Newt Gingrich said Republican candidates got 6 million more votes than Democrat candidates.

I'm scratching my head over that stat. If that's true, the Republican message clearly got through.

Bush held fundraisers for Kemp and O’Dea…two candidates Trump worked actively to try and defeat

I haven't bothered to verify it, but Newt Gingrich said Republican candidates got 6 million more votes than Democrat candidates.

I'm scratching my head over that stat. If that's true, the Republican message clearly got through.
They ran up the score in their areas. I don't accept the popular vote argument from the Democrats, so can't accept it here.

What this does say though is that there is discontent with Joe and the Democrats and that the GOP needs to be ready in 2024 to take advantage. They have a better Electoral map to do that as well. So better candidates and a more concise message and they should be good.

Reactions: DANC and stollcpa
DeSantis is painfully introverted. Even though he had the highest profile of any Governor we’ve seen in a long time, translating that nationally is a whole other ball of wax.

It’s a not a given that he’ll be able to shine under that level of scrutiny.

Reactions: DANC
They ran up the score in their areas. I don't accept the popular vote argument from the Democrats, so can't accept it here.

What this does say though is that there is discontent with Joe and the Democrats and that the GOP needs to be ready in 2024 to take advantage. They have a better Electoral map to do that as well. So better candidates and a more concise message and they should be good.
That was my point, but I didn't specify it. The popular vote total means little in a representative republic.

Dims were all about the popular vote in 2016 and 2020. Not so much now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
DeSantis is painfully introverted. Even though he had the highest profile of any Governor we’ve seen in a long time, translating that nationally is a whole other ball of wax.

It’s a not a given that he’ll be able to shine under that level of scrutiny.
I thought he actually seemed nervous when he was giving his victory speech. Maybe it was just emotion, but I thought his voice was wavering.

But you can bet he'll be branded as Satan by the Dims if he runs, and the media will magnify it.

I thought he actually seemed nervous when he was giving his victory speech. Maybe it was just emotion, but I thought his voice was wavering.

But you can bet he'll be branded as Satan by the Dims if he runs, and the media will magnify it.
Watching him go out and give an update on the hurricane the next morning after election night was hysterical. I'd never seen him look so haggard and sound so listless. Looked like he had gotten into the celebration a little too much.

Blame our atrocious primary system that incentivizes the nuttiest of nutballs.

I don't know if the solution is in some of these other election models (blanket/ jungle primary, ranked choice, etc).... or what. But what we've got right now doesn't seem to be working well

I was reading about Alaska's Ranked Choice. The argument was this, both Republicans should have said, "Vote for me first and the other Republican second". What they did was fight each other in ads more than the D, and Palin went as far as to tell her voters they shouldn't put down anyone for a second choice.

That's how crazy the zealots are. They can't even play nice with their own teammates.

Reactions: UncleMark
I was reading about Alaska's Ranked Choice. The argument was this, both Republicans should have said, "Vote for me first and the other Republican second". What they did was fight each other in ads more than the D, and Palin went as far as to tell her voters they shouldn't put down anyone for a second choice.

That's how crazy the zealots are. They can't even play nice with their own teammates.
That’s not crazy. That’s selfishness and strategy

Selfishness I buy, but what is the strategy to telling people not to vote for a second candidate? It doesn't help the candidate saying it, it isn't as if they get extra votes.
If you are the only one getting votes and the other isn't, isn't that an advantage in ranked voting?

If you are the only one getting votes and the other isn't, isn't that an advantage in ranked voting?
Nope. If candidate A has 3rd most 1st place votes (out of 3), they are eliminated and all the people who had them first now get their votes reassigned to their second choice.

There is a method some like called Condorcet (named after the mathematician that created it) where order matters. Basically each candidate goes head-to-head with every other candidate. So when it calculated A against B, all votes for C are only ranked for whichever A or B is higher. I know people who love Condorcet. Its problem is it is possible for A to beat B, B beat C, and C beat A.

But in Condorcet, strategic voting becomes possible.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Nope. If candidate A has 3rd most 1st place votes (out of 3), they are eliminated and all the people who had them first now get their votes reassigned to their second choice.

There is a method some like called Condorcet (named after the mathematician that created it) where order matters. Basically each candidate goes head-to-head with every other candidate. So when it calculated A against B, all votes for C are only ranked for whichever A or B is higher. I know people who love Condorcet. Its problem is it is possible for A to beat B, B beat C, and C beat A.

But in Condorcet, strategic voting becomes possible.
Ah. Maybe Palin didn't understand that?

• Haha
Why should he? They/he had a good night. Fetterman who is literally recovering from a stroke won easily and Democrats performed well overall. Obviously, the country isn’t that upset by him/them or they would vote them out of office. If I was Biden, I would be calling up Hunter and @mcmurtry66 to see if they wanted to party. Hunter could bring the good stuff.
Hell...invite Don Jr and Kimmy G, they never saw a line they didn't want to snort

This is more accurate. He is brain dead just like Fetterman. Maybe they can hold up in the same basement the next two years.

Don’t forget Dianne Feinstein she is brain dead too.

Don’t forget Dianne Feinstein she is brain dead too.
But you can’t say that and it’s okay when democrats aren’t able to do their job. Trump on the other hand, that’s a real damn problem.

But you can’t say that and it’s okay when democrats aren’t able to do their job. Trump on the other hand, that’s a real damn problem.

I defy you to cite anyone here defending Feinstein still being in office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT