ADVERTISEMENT

The guard play

achoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
Chicago
Woody has a scapegoat, and they’ve kinda earned it. He very much called ‘em out after that game (although tbh the bigs turned the ball over a lot). Reneau took the first half off….

My question is this… is anyone surprised? X hasn’t played in a good long while (and I’ve never grasped the “X as savior” vibe around here), Galloway is who he is at this point, and the rest you just kinda hope outperform relatively low expectations. Cupps gets smoked on D fairly consistently and you can sense coaches are targeting him.

The backcourt was the weak link going into this year (after whiffing in the portal). Fact is, the two vets have always been wildly inconsistent producers. Period. Just glance at their stat lines through the years.

Woody is trying to light a fire, but am I surprised? No. Are you? It’s a weak link and B10 coaches will exploit it. Will they dial-up some good games? Yes. Will they night in/night out? Eh.

I hear square pegs, round hole arguments about the offense. These kids are not built for NBA-style 1-on-1, off the dribble stuff… true. Somewhat. But Galloway and X have been switching from aggressive to quiet, on cue, their whole careers. Galloway has had nice games against good comp where he can go and get a bucket, make a big play. X for sure. But they are def kids with solid, seasoned disappearing acts. The fact that they’re also our most experienced “expected leader” kids… that’s a bad combo.

Woody is right to call them out. It’s now or never. Will this be a recurring theme? If history is any indicator, buckle up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News