ADVERTISEMENT

Taboo Topic

Win out. Go to bowl. Extend Tom.

• Absolutely!

• Gotta take the bad with the good.

• Hell no, he’s gotta go!

• Honestly can’t decide if it’s worth it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Presumably the buyout figure is tied to the years remaining on his contract. So if a year is added I’d figure the buyout would stay the same for another year and wouldn’t drop until ‘25 as opposed ‘24.
That is the big question. If the buyout drops to 50% after next season regardless, then adding another year isn't that big of a deal.

Buyout is 100% of remaining comp if fired before December 24, 2024 (he's probably not getting fired this year, gang).

It goes to 50% or remaining comp after that (7.95 million after 12/24/2024 but you would have paid him 4.9 for coaching next year.)

IF he were to get IU to a bowl game that automatically gets him a 1 year extension with a 100K raise tacked on to the end of the contract. That added year would be for the 2028 season and pay him $5.6 million dollars. IU owes Tom the full amount of any year that is autoextended by making a bowl game regardless of when they were to fire him.

So making a bowl game this year would increase the buyout after the 2024 season from 7.95 million to 13.55 million.
So, based on that, each extended year the buyout goes down for later years?

No. Every added year is paid in full no matter what.

Currently the buyout if 50% after next season. If contract gets extended then does the 50% buyout get pushed back a year or not?

At the end of this season, his buyout is $20 million ($4 million x 5 years)

At the end of next season, his buyout is $8 million ($2 million x 4 years)

If he gets extended by a year for making a bowl game then it is one of the following.

1) His buyout at the end of next season is either a repeat of this year at $20 million ($4 million x 5 years)

2) His buyout is $10 million ($2 million x 5 years)

It all depends on if the drop in buyout is effected by the addition of years cause by bowl appearances.

Currently the buyout if 50% after next season. If contract gets extended then does the 50% buyout get pushed back a year or not?

At the end of this season, his buyout is $20 million ($4 million x 5 years)

At the end of next season, his buyout is $8 million ($2 million x 4 years)

If he gets extended by a year for making a bowl game then it is one of the following.

1) His buyout at the end of next season is either a repeat of this year at $20 million ($4 million x 5 years)

2) His buyout is $10 million ($2 million x 5 years)

It all depends on if the drop in buyout is effected by the addition of years cause by bowl appearances.
Any added year is paid in full no matter when it’s added.

The buyout next year is either 7.95 million (no 2023 bowl), 7.95 plus 5.6 million of bowl game this year, or 7.95 plus 5.6 million for 2023 bowl game and 5.7 million for a 2024 bowl game.

Purdue did. Lest we forget the 56-7 halftime score vs Auburn. They were 5-4 in the B1G though and the best we can do is 4-5.

In all likelihood, I think it is a safe bet that we go to Detroit if we make it.

Going to New York and California, and even the Gator Bowl, were already somewhat of an upgrade compared to what our records would have normally gotten us. We probably don't get that same consideration again, especially if it is by sneaking in at the end of the season after two really poor years.

Although, looking at the conference standings, a lot of the teams that are or could be bowl eligible are likely to have conference records right around .500. The problem then, though, is that several of them have beaten us or are bigger media draws. If we beat Illinois, they probably don't make a bowl game at all, so then you're looking at the likes of Maryland and Rutgers, who both easily beat us and will probably have the same record as us (although UMD genuinely may not get six wins, which would be an amazing choke-job after a 5-0 start). We would logically be below both of them.

Beyond that, from the West you have Northwestern, who would have to have a better record and logically be in line for a better draw than us at 5-4 if they're going to make it, and then there are Nebraska and Minnesota who are both bigger draws than us, The only one we'd have a head-to-head advantage for bowl games with is Wisconsin, whom we've beaten, but they are still pretty likely to finish with 7 wins, and are a bigger name even if they don't, putting them ahead of us in the pecking order as well.

Last edited:

The buyout next year is either 7.95 million (no 2023 bowl), 7.95 plus 5.6 million of bowl game this year, or 7.95 plus 5.6 million for 2023 bowl game and 5.7 million for a 2024 bowl game.
Why do I have a suspicion the goofball that wrote this additional year for every bowl provision probably didn't even consider how it would affect the buyout?

In all likelihood, I think it is a safe bet that we go to Detroit if we make it.

Going to New York and California, and even the Gator Bowl, were already somewhat of an upgrade compared to what our records would have normally gotten us. We probably don't get that same consideration again, especially if it is by sneaking in at the end of the season after two really poor years.

Although, looking at the conference standings, a lot of the teams that are or could be bowl eligible are likely to have conference records right around .500. The problem then, though, is that several of them have beaten us or are bigger media draws. If we beat Illinois, they probably don't make a bowl game at all, so then you're looking at the likes of Maryland and Rutgers, who both easily beat us and will probably have the same record as us (although UMD genuinely may not get six wins, which would be an amazing choke-job after a 5-0 start). We would logically be below both of them.

Beyond that, from the West you have Northwestern, who would have to have a better record and logically be in line for a better draw than us at 5-4 if they're going to make it, and then there are Nebraska and Minnesota who are both bigger draws than us, The only one we'd have a head-to-head advantage for bowl games with is Wisconsin, whom we've beaten, but they are still pretty likely to finish with 7 wins, and are a bigger name even if they don't, putting them ahead of us in the pecking order as well.
Each bowl has their pick in a particular order and the amount of time since you have been there and how many fans are likely to buy tickets are the biggest factors.

Money talks and IU trvels well to desireable destinations. We may not earn JAX on the field but the city would love to have us back.

Reactions: midwolfe and DANC
The constant emphasis on penalties will never make sense.

Allen's teams have never been particularly penalty-prone relative to the rest of the country, and this year we are inside the top 40 in fewest penalties, which is top-quarter in that area nationally.

Starting over the last three seasons? Now that’s an understatement. Three decades and it still wouldn’t be accurate enough.
We can’t fire every coach responsible for that level of futility, only the one currently in the job. Had it not been for the 2020 mirage that fooled some, we’d be a bit further ahead than we are.

Reactions: bang63
Okay, we win out and become bowl eligible. The extension pertains to playing in a bowl, not for becoming bowl eligible, correct? If so, why not decline the invite to whatever piss-ant bowl so we can shed the albatross around our neck and not have to deal with a perpetually increasing buyout? With an extension we’ll be stuck with CTA into 2025, and I don’t think the high-rollers are there to buy out TA now or even next year.

Sure, by accepting a bowl bid we get extra weeks of practice in. But much of the playing time goes to transfers that won’t be here next year. The piss-ant bowls aren’t prestigious, the payout is hardly worth it. So, heck, decline a bid. It may take the BOT to lay down the law because Doltson would gladly accept it.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Okay, we win out and become bowl eligible. The extension pertains to playing in a bowl, not for becoming bowl eligible, correct? If so, why not decline the invite to whatever piss-ant bowl so we can shed the albatross around our neck and not have to deal with a perpetually increasing buyout? With an extension we’ll be stuck with CTA into 2025, and I don’t think the high-rollers are there to buy out TA now or even next year.

Sure, by accepting a bowl bid we get extra weeks of practice in. But much of the playing time goes to transfers that won’t be here next year. The piss-ant bowls aren’t prestigious, the payout is hardly worth it. So, heck, decline a bid. It may take the BOT to lay down the law because Doltson would gladly accept it.
That has to be among the worst takes I’ve ever read.

IU has been to 4 bowls in like 30 years and a 6-6 lower tier bowl is beneath you? WTF?

And yes, the extra practice time is completely worth it.

And the money doesn’t matter because the B1G splits total bowl revenue I believe.

So your lobotomy was successful…

Why do I have a suspicion the goofball that wrote this additional year for every bowl provision probably didn't even consider how it would affect the buyout?
If you’re going to bowl games wgaf if anyone likes the clause

Win three more and the contract says he is back especially since IU has shown it doesn't care about winning in football. As long as it is mediocre IU is okay with the football program.
Agree. Wisconsin, MSU, Illinois are weaker this year than their usual. I am torn. I can’t wish for us to lose, but winning keeps Allan here and I do not believe he is the answer to us moving IU football upwards.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Agree. Wisconsin, MSU, Illinois are weaker this year than their usual. I am torn. I can’t wish for us to lose, but winning keeps Allan here and I do not believe he is the answer to us moving IU football upwards.
That’s the point. I desperately want IU to win every single game they play. Root like hell from kick to clock showing zeroes. But damn, I believe I’ve seen enough of Tom Allen.

Reactions: bang63 and kmathum

If they get to a bowl this year I’m not sure the $7.9 Mil number would still apply in 2024. Unless Dolson changed the buyout language in the 2021 contract, I think another extension this winter could potentially make the 2024 buyout $20.8 million again if that season effectively becomes “season three” of Allen’s newest contract.

If it did become the new “season three” then that could mean that IU might still be on the hook for 100% of the remaining 4 years of Allen’s newest contract, and the buyout might not drop to $7.9 Mil until December of 2025 if the ‘25 season was now treated as “season four” of the new contract.

I bring this up because something similar appears to be what happened in 2021. In order for the current buyout to be $20.8 Mil, dropping to $7.9 Mil next.year, 2023 is presumably regarded as “season three” of the current contract, at least in terms of the buyout. But that also suggests that the 2021 extension Allen received moved the buyout “clock” or timeline back a year. Otherwise this season would be “season four” of the original 2019 contract that was automatically extended in 2021, and the buyout next month (hypothetically) might be about $10-$10.5 Mil instead of $20.8 million.

And we all should probably keep in mind that these numbers don’t factor in the possibility of Allen, in addition to obtaining another extension, being given another raise, which would of course make all the numbers even larger and more expensive.

• Wow
If they get to a bowl this year I’m not sure the $7.9 Mil number would still apply in 2024. Unless Dolson changed the buyout language in the 2021 contract, I think another extension this winter could potentially make the 2024 buyout $20.8 million again if that season effectively becomes “season three” of Allen’s newest contract.

If it did become the new “season three” then that could mean that IU might still be on the hook for 100% of the remaining 4 years of Allen’s newest contract, and the buyout might not drop to $7.9 Mil until December of 2025 if the ‘25 season was now treated as “season four” of the new contract.

I bring this up because something similar appears to be what happened in 2021. In order for the current buyout to be $20.8 Mil, dropping to $7.9 Mil next.year, 2023 is presumably regarded as “season three” of the current contract, at least in terms of the buyout. But that also suggests that the 2021 extension Allen received moved the buyout “clock” or timeline back a year. Otherwise this season would be “season four” of the original 2019 contract that was automatically extended in 2021, and the buyout next month (hypothetically) might be about $10-$10.5 Mil instead of $20.8 million.

And we all should probably keep in mind that these numbers don’t factor in the possibility of Allen, in addition to obtaining another extension, being given another raise, which would of course make all the numbers even larger and more expensive.
He signed a new 7 year deal in March of 2021 Nothing has happened since to trigger an extension.

He signed a new 7 year deal in March of 2021 Nothing has happened since to trigger an extension.
Yes, but the 2021 extension changed “season one” from 2020 to 2021, and changed 2023 from “season 4” to “season three” and if Allen got another extension this winter I assume the same thing would likely happen again. In which case 2024 would change from its current “season 4” status to “season three” of the newest contract, in which case the $7.9 Mil buyout wouldn’t kick in for an additional year-Dec of 2025, at the end of the new “season 4”

• Wow
Yes, but the 2021 extension changed “season one” from 2020 to 2021, and changed 2023 from “season 4” to “season three” and if Allen got another extension this winter I assume the same thing would likely happen again. In which case 2024 would change from its current “season 4” status to “season three” of the newest contract, in which case the $7.9 Mil buyout wouldn’t kick in for an additional year-Dec of 2025, at the end of the new “season 4
New 7 year contract in 2021 started the clock and runs until 2027.

Nothing prior to that matters.

We need, IMO, to re evaluate the process and the people who are making these decisions.
That’s been the problem for awhile. We saw poor hires for both football and basketball for a simple reason . . . Poor leadership. It’s never been a mystery.

If IU win four Bog Ten games in a row, regardless of the opponents, that is a major accomplishment and one that should be recognized by all fans of IU football. I'm too lazy to do the research, but my gut tells me it has been a very long time since that has happened.

For all those pointing out that beating "down" teams like Wiscy, PU, MSU, and Illinois is not much of an accomplishment, remember we are the losingest program in history. Losing to IU is "bad" for any of these schools.

If IU win four Bog Ten games in a row, regardless of the opponents, that is a major accomplishment and one that should be recognized by all fans of IU football. I'm too lazy to do the research, but my gut tells me it has been a very long time since that has happened.
My gut was to agree with you, so I did some quick research. Turns out we've got so few seasons with 4+ conference wins it wasn't too hard. Going back to the Rose Bowl season:

Tom Allen is the coach with the contract through 2027. Every time he qualifies for a bowl game he will get a one-year extension to his contract at about 5 million dollars. Anytime he makes it to a bowl game you will also get a $100,000 annual raise
Buyout is 100% of remaining comp if fired before December 24, 2024 (he's probably not getting fired this year, gang).

It goes to 50% or remaining comp after that (7.95 million after 12/24/2024 but you would have paid him 4.9 for coaching next year.)

IF he were to get IU to a bowl game that automatically gets him a 1 year extension with a 100K raise tacked on to the end of the contract. That added year would be for the 2028 season and pay him $5.6 million dollars. IU owes Tom the full amount of any year that is autoextended by making a bowl game regardless of when they were to fire him.

So making a bowl game this year would increase the buyout after the 2024 season from 7.95 million to 13.55 million.
I'm conflicted about the Illinois game. I'm taking Indiana in the prediction thread but I will be relieved if an illini loss takes a contract extension off the table. God forbid Indiana gets a bowl bid with a five wins season because there are not enough eligible teams to be picked and they get because of their grade point average.

• Haha
Tom Allen is the coach with the contract through 2027. Every time he qualifies for a bowl game he will get a one-year extension to his contract at about 5 million dollars. Anytime he makes it to a bowl game you will also get a $100,000 annual raise

I'm conflicted about the Illinois game. I'm taking Indiana in the prediction thread but I will be relieved if an illini loss takes a contract extension off the table. God forbid Indiana gets a bowl bid with a five wins season because there are not enough eligible teams to be picked and they get because of their grade point average.
That would really suck. Wouldn’t it? Have a team full of great kids that do well in school and progress throughout the season to win three out of their final five games. What a bunch of losers.

Reactions: muubell
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT