ADVERTISEMENT

Taboo Topic

Win out. Go to bowl. Extend Tom.

• Absolutely!

• Gotta take the bad with the good.

• Hell no, he’s gotta go!

• Honestly can’t decide if it’s worth it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Win three more and the contract says he is back especially since IU has shown it doesn't care about winning in football. As long as it is mediocre IU is okay with the football program.
The contract technically says he’s back regardless of the outcome of the final three games. If we win all three, he gets a year added to the deal. No mention of any son in law stipulations. Lol

Reactions: IUAndy and DANC
He is not a bad guy to have as the face of the program and talking to recruits. If he has competent people around him and is trending in the right direction I think rolling another year would be in order. The flip side would be starting over with a big chunk taken out of the coffers.
We’ve been starting over for the last three seasons. That’s not program building . . .

I know if he gets to 6-6 and a bowl game he gets another year added to the deal. But, Does that also mean his ridiculous buyout goes to $20 million for an additional year on top of where it’s already at for the next year? Hope not. I could live with the extra year, but Not if it means more silly buyout numbers.

Gotta know this before I vote. Thanks.

I know if he gets to 6-6 and a bowl game he gets another year added to the deal. But, Does that also mean his ridiculous buyout goes to $20 million for an additional year on top of where it’s already at for the next year? Hope not. I could live with the extra year, but Not if it means more silly buyout numbers.

Gotta know this before I vote. Thanks.
Well, that’s actually the point of the poll. Of course an additional year adds additional money. I don’t see any possible way the buyout decreases by adding $4-5M and a year.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I vote if we win out, he comes back. Then we only offer him an extension if he continues to win. We have better options if we win out.

I do believe we will make a change before his contract is up unless he puts a string of bowl appearances together.

If Indiana wins out, the contract stipulates that TA gets another year added on to his deal. It has nothing to do with our opinions.

I would prefer to give him a nice bonus if they win out instead of an additional year to his contract. It's nice to even be having this conversation after the MD and Rutgers debacle.

Is Rod Carey having that big of an impact???

The contract technically says he’s back regardless of the outcome of the final three games. If we win all three, he gets a year added to the deal. No mention of any son in law stipulations. Lol
If he gets a year added to the deal, do you know what his extra year salary would be and is that money he would recapture if fired this year or next ?

If We win out, look at the teams We brat. Indiana State, a non- FBS School, Akron, in overtime at home, Wisconsin, an injury depleted MASH Unit, a Mddle of the Road Average Illinois Team, MSU, a dumpster fire, and Purdue slightly less of a Dumpster Fire, No quality wins.
Then You have to loook at the losses to Louisville and Penn State in close games where Coaching could have made a difference. And You look at the Rutgers and Maryland Games where We didn't appear to be prepared to compete.

No Extension until He shows He can beat good teams, That old Coaching excuse that You can;t recruit players without a five year contract is now BS with the transfer portal and NIL Money.

If We win out, look at the teams We brat. Indiana State, a non- FBS School, Akron, in overtime at home, Wisconsin, an injury depleted MASH Unit, a Mddle of the Road Average Illinois Team, MSU, a dumpster fire, and Purdue slightly less of a Dumpster Fire, No quality wins.
Then You have to loook at the losses to Louisville and Penn State in close games where Coaching could have made a difference. And You look at the Rutgers and Maryland Games where We didn't appear to be prepared to compete.

No Extension until He shows He can beat good teams, That old Coaching excuse that You can;t recruit players without a five year contract is now BS with the transfer portal and NIL Money.
I think you have to take the good with the bad. Because you're setting yourself up to never be satisfied. James Franklin, yeah he goes 10-2 every year but can't beat OSU & UM. Day, 11-1 sucks when you can't beat that team up north. Harbaugh, thanks for getting to the CFP, but win a natty for once.

All three of those sound silly from where we're sitting, but IU going 6-6 with close losses to two top 15 teams, three if you add in that OSU was close/reachable until the end of the 3rd quarter, and you have to ask what would satisfy you. The Rutgers and Maryland losses sucked because of how out of control they got, but Rutgers is already bowl eligible and Maryland has 3 chances to get there. So those aren't "bad" losses in the sense of getting beaten by a majorly inferior team. And, finally, the Akron game sucked because IU should have lost at the end. But it wasn't because of Akron outplaying IU throughout the game. IU just kept shooting themselves in the foot with poor execution on offense (poor throws & dropped passes).

Let me put it this way, the team came within a whisker of beating both Louisville & Penn State. If they had, would we be having this same conversation? The difference between being a good/bad team/coach can't honestly come down to 6 inches (UL) or a bad final sequence (PSU).

I think you have to take the good with the bad. Because you're setting yourself up to never be satisfied. James Franklin, yeah he goes 10-2 every year but can't beat OSU & UM. Day, 11-1 sucks when you can't beat that team up north. Harbaugh, thanks for getting to the CFP, but win a natty for once.

All three of those sound silly from where we're sitting, but IU going 6-6 with close losses to two top 15 teams, three if you add in that OSU was close/reachable until the end of the 3rd quarter, and you have to ask what would satisfy you. The Rutgers and Maryland losses sucked because of how out of control they got, but Rutgers is already bowl eligible and Maryland has 3 chances to get there. So those aren't "bad" losses in the sense of getting beaten by a majorly inferior team. And, finally, the Akron game sucked because IU should have lost at the end. But it wasn't because of Akron outplaying IU throughout the game. IU just kept shooting themselves in the foot with poor execution on offense (poor throws & dropped passes).

Let me put it this way, the team came within a whisker of beating both Louisville & Penn State. If they had, would we be having this same conversation? The difference between being a good/bad team/coach can't honestly come down to 6 inches (UL) or a bad final sequence (PSU).
Great points who has Michigan played?

Its difficult to get over how bad we've been the last 3 years. And I don't think any of these last 4 opponents are good enough that beating them should completely overshadow all of the "worst in FBS" stuff, as the graphics showed repeatedly against Wisconsin...that we've seen the last few years. But winning 4 in a row in the B10 would be an eye opener, for sure.

If we win out, the contract adds a year. So practically and realistically, if he finishes 6-6...he'll be back. I think at this point, he'd probably have to lose out, and finish 3-9 for there to be any serious thoughts of eating the buyout and firing him...but obviously I don't really have a clue on that.

The Carey/Bostad emergence is the main thing that's giving me pause right now on if we should fire him. If we were to win out, or even win a couple, but play well in all of them...I think there's a compelling argument that we need to see a full offseason, and another full season with the coaching staff largely in tact.

To me...at this point...

If we win out, Allen and his staff should be retained. Doesn't matter what we look like, how ugly the wins are, if we win our last 4 games, with 2 of them on the road, and one of them being the Bucket...they all deserve an offseason and full season together.

If we lose out, Allen should be fired. Similarly to winning them all, it doesn't matter much what we look like. If we play three decent games, but make horrid mistakes and blow the games...its further justification that Allen isn't capable of consistent winning. Or if we just play crappy...it'd be time to move on.

If we go 1-2 or 2-1, THEN I think a deeper dive in to how we played is necessary. Did we play solid and just get beat by what is probably actually a solid Illinois team? Did we stumble late in the Bucket game? Did we play three mistake plagued games and get lucky and squeak out an Akron line win in one of them?

I would absolutely take 9-3 every year with our only losses being UM, OSU, PSU, but competitive enough with them to occasionally pull off 10-2 or 11-1. For starters, I'd take a guaranteed bowl every year.

The ultimate message board post. Minimize the successes and maximize the defeats....rather than playing it middle of the road in both instances. Are you in politics??

If we win out and go to a bowl game and even win that bowl game, then I'm on board with Tom staying. Will that happen? Not very likely even with our remaining games all falling into the winnable category.

More than likely the Wisconsin game falls in the "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while." category. We played a clean game (no turnovers and few penalties) which is rare for a CTA team plus Wisc is down and they were playing a backup QB who was simply awful.

I still can't believe this is season 7 with him as head coach. Has CTA suddenly figured it out? History says no he has not. He will win the occasional head scratcher but more than likely his teams will find a way to lose.

I hope he proves me wrong and the blind squirrel keeps finding nuts each and every week right through a bowl victory but I don't have much faith in the consistency of blind squirrels.

Its difficult to get over how bad we've been the last 3 years. And I don't think any of these last 4 opponents are good enough that beating them should completely overshadow all of the "worst in FBS" stuff, as the graphics showed repeatedly against Wisconsin...that we've seen the last few years. But winning 4 in a row in the B10 would be an eye opener, for sure.

If we win out, the contract adds a year. So practically and realistically, if he finishes 6-6...he'll be back. I think at this point, he'd probably have to lose out, and finish 3-9 for there to be any serious thoughts of eating the buyout and firing him...but obviously I don't really have a clue on that.

The Carey/Bostad emergence is the main thing that's giving me pause right now on if we should fire him. If we were to win out, or even win a couple, but play well in all of them...I think there's a compelling argument that we need to see a full offseason, and another full season with the coaching staff largely in tact.

To me...at this point...

If we win out, Allen and his staff should be retained. Doesn't matter what we look like, how ugly the wins are, if we win our last 4 games, with 2 of them on the road, and one of them being the Bucket...they all deserve an offseason and full season together.

If we lose out, Allen should be fired. Similarly to winning them all, it doesn't matter much what we look like. If we play three decent games, but make horrid mistakes and blow the games...its further justification that Allen isn't capable of consistent winning. Or if we just play crappy...it'd be time to move on.

If we go 1-2 or 2-1, THEN I think a deeper dive in to how we played is necessary. Did we play solid and just get beat by what is probably actually a solid Illinois team? Did we stumble late in the Bucket game? Did we play three mistake plagued games and get lucky and squeak out an Akron line win in one of them?
1-2 or 2-1, he's being retained for 20 million reasons. In fact, that Wisconsin win might've secured that. I think the only way he was getting fired this year was if we lost out.

To me...at this point...

Good points that bring up a huge "what if" scenario. Not to be a total Debbie Downer on this, but what do we do if Bostad and/or Carey bolt for a better gig? I suppose it could happen, right?

Good points that bring up a huge "what if" scenario. Not to be a total Debbie Downer on this, but what do we do if Bostad and/or Carey bolt for a better gig? I suppose it could happen, right?
The odds of more staff turnover occurring in the off-season (assuming Allen remains as coach) are great, with Carey more likely to remain than Bostad.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Yeah...thought of that. I guess depends a little on timing. Hypothetically, if Carey and Bostad were to both bolt immediately after the season was over... and there's any sort of understanding in the building that those 2 were instrumental in the turnaround... I'd make a move on Allen.

Carey would probably be the lynch pin...again, assuming we finish the year strong.

I would absolutely take 9-3 every year with our only losses being UM, OSU, PSU, but competitive enough with them to occasionally pull off 10-2 or 11-1. For starters, I'd take a guaranteed bowl every year.
I'd take that all day everyday but it's going to be tougher to accomplish with these new teams coming to the conference. Unless we adopt the SEC model of scheduling, less conference games, more ooc games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Even if IU wins out, they only would make the Music City Toilet Bowl or some other ridiculously named bowl that nobody cares about! I don’t think that would be worthy of a CTA extension! CTA has been here way too long and a new voice of leadership is needed!

We may not think much of the “Music City Toilet Bowl” but his contract gets a year added regardless of what bowl game it is.
If he wins out, which seems highly unlikely because this is TA and IU football, despite these being 3 winnable games, he will have earned the extension, per his contract. I just hope the buyout isn’t triggering some kind of stupid money too. That’s what I’m worried about more. I’ve still not heard anything solid on the buyout money if gets a year added?

We may not think much of the “Music City Toilet Bowl” but his contract gets a year added regardless of what bowl game it is.
If he wins out, which seems highly unlikely because this is TA and IU football, despite these being 3 winnable games, he will have earned the extension, per his contract. I just hope the buyout isn’t triggering some kind of stupid money too. That’s what I’m worried about more. I’ve still not heard anything solid on the buyout money if gets a year added?
Presumably the buyout figure is tied to the years remaining on his contract. So if a year is added I’d figure the buyout would stay the same for another year and wouldn’t drop until ‘25 as opposed ‘24.

TMFT, re buyout moneys, I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case, but guess it makes (imperfect) sense. When it comes to IU and hires, be it coaching or administrative since the turn of the century, IU gonna keep doing IU kinda things. Why expect different?

Always talking about winnable games left but this team is not going to win out.
And if Tom Allen is retained this program is doomed.
I’m usually one of positive ones on here but this year has done it for me.
TA is not a competent HC and the fact that they are even considering keeping him shows you how little this university cares about football.

TMFT, re buyout moneys, I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case, but guess it makes (imperfect) sense. When it comes to IU and hires, be it coaching or administrative since the turn of the century, IU gonna keep doing IU kinda things. Why expect different?
When I get to my computer I’ll look if I can find the actual contract online to see what it says.

Found it.
Page 18 explains the terms. It seems like it would kick the can down the road a year if there's an auto extension.

If we win out and go to a bowl game and even win that bowl game, then I'm on board with Tom staying. Will that happen? Not very likely even with our remaining games all falling into the winnable category.

More than likely the Wisconsin game falls in the "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while." category. We played a clean game (no turnovers and few penalties) which is rare for a CTA team plus Wisc is down and they were playing a backup QB who was simply awful.

I still can't believe this is season 7 with him as head coach. Has CTA suddenly figured it out? History says no he has not. He will win the occasional head scratcher but more than likely his teams will find a way to lose.

I hope he proves me wrong and the blind squirrel keeps finding nuts each and every week right through a bowl victory but I don't have much faith in the consistency of blind squirrels.
The constant emphasis on penalties will never make sense.

Allen's teams have never been particularly penalty-prone relative to the rest of the country, and this year we are inside the top 40 in fewest penalties, which is top-quarter in that area nationally.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Found it.
Page 18 explains the terms. It seems like it would kick the can down the road a year if there's an auto extension.

'

Buyout is 100% of remaining comp if fired before December 24, 2024 (he's probably not getting fired this year, gang).

It goes to 50% or remaining comp after that (7.95 million after 12/24/2024 but you would have paid him 4.9 for coaching next year.)

IF he were to get IU to a bowl game that automatically gets him a 1 year extension with a 100K raise tacked on to the end of the contract. That added year would be for the 2028 season and pay him $5.6 million dollars. IU owes Tom the full amount of any year that is autoextended by making a bowl game regardless of when they were to fire him.

So making a bowl game this year would increase the buyout after the 2024 season from 7.95 million to 13.55 million.

The constant emphasis on penalties will never make sense.

Allen's teams have never been particularly penalty-prone relative to the rest of the country, and this year we are inside the top 40 in fewest penalties, which is top-quarter in that area nationally.
Let's just say mistakes then as in blown coverages, missed blocks, poor clock management etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT