ADVERTISEMENT

sWANNIGAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure I'm seeing an issue. Even with Swanigan Purdue has a scholarship left for a point guard.

"________ a player that Matt recruited very heavy and lost at the last minute"

Couldn't you insert just about every big name player Painter has gone after into this sentence about Dawson? So has every other 5 star he's recruited been bought out too? The conspiracies you guys come up with some times to explain Painters ineptitude in closing top players are pretty entertaining.

who mentioned the word conspiracy? Did you not read where I said Biggie was not the surprise that DAwson was? where was that conspiracy? You have time to edit your post if you wish you didn't write what you did.

Octeus and Hammons were both key. I think people are forgetting that Octeus ran the team despite arriving so late. He made the team much better and was the only one that could play the point. There wasn't a good option beyond him.

If Purdue doesn't find a point guard, opposing teams should press Purdue early and often.

When you say press do you mean zone or man...and does it make a difference in your eyes? Is it full, 3/4 pressing and does that make a difference in how it is attacked? Is the press hard to turn the ball or to eat clock? Is the press only on makes or different presses for makes and misses? All these questions might dictate a different skill level. Generally speaking, I think most teams try to eat clock and heavily overplay the posts and try to make the clock an issue. I'm not sure teams pressing hard would have a lasting effect for much of a game or into the season...but who knows...

Why? So Yogi and JBJ can run down the court with Davis and Mathias while Edwards brings the ball up against Stan? Did I say we didn't need Octeus last year? Nope. Just said he is replaceable this year (especially with another year under our guys' belts).
Stan is gone. He would not have even been in the game much if he had stayed. Don't know why that is an issue. Octeus is replaceable. Purdue hasn't brought that person in yet.

Stan is gone. He would not have even been in the game much if he had stayed. Don't know why that is an issue. Octeus is replaceable. Purdue hasn't brought that person in yet.
Huh? Why what is an issue? I've said there are no issues. You said we would struggle without Octeus. I said we won't.

When you say press do you mean zone or man...and does it make a difference in your eyes? Is it full, 3/4 pressing and does that make a difference in how it is attacked? Is the press hard to turn the ball or to eat clock? Is the press only on makes or different presses for makes and misses? All these questions might dictate a different skill level. Generally speaking, I think most teams try to eat clock and heavily overplay the posts and try to make the clock an issue. I'm not sure teams pressing hard would have a lasting effect for much of a game or into the season...but who knows...
Press after made baskets only. It is easier to get organized after a make. I always preferred a trapping zone press. I would expect to see multiple looks.

We will have to see who Purdue finds to handle the ball. Are they more easily trapped? How well do they pass out of a double team? Can they beat a zone off the dribble? We won't press the whole game, but I expect to see us do it and especially against a team without an experienced or elite pg.

Press after made baskets only. It is easier to get organized after a make. I always preferred a trapping zone press. I would expect to see multiple looks.

We will have to see who Purdue finds to handle the ball. Are they more easily trapped? How well do they pass out of a double team? Can they beat a zone off the dribble? We won't press the whole game, but I expect to see us do it and especially against a team without an experienced or elite pg.

Has TC ever used a press extensively? Other than late game situations?

Reactions: Hoeppner-13
Remember when PUers would come here and lambaste Sampson when Gordon decommitted UI for IU?

They melted down over Gordon and this is the same or worse. Purdue grads are not hypocrites so I am sure they are ripping He and his family on GBI right now.

That is a very common approach and reasons for it. Within the zone press it may start with pressure on the triggerman and it may allow the pass in. It may force sideline and it may force inside. It may be there to cause turnovers and it may be there to eat clock. However in any zone, whether full, 3/4 on in the half court the general rules remain the same. Any zone places people in space anbd any zone attack si more cerebral than a man attack. Purdue has some basketball smarts and what they may lack in physical quickness may be compensated by several that are older and understand the game better today than a high school kid. With any zone press that releases a man to trap proper offensive spacing and understanding can help compensate. I doubt any press over a game will bother Purdue, but a press in a short spurt might be a differnce in a game that has been tight for 35 minutes.

I'm one that thinks Octeus was GREAT for Purdue this year. I would love to get another like him. However, this Purdue team will nto need Octeus as much next year as this last year...at least I don't think so. What is true is that Purdue may not be able to play from behind much and is slow overall as a team. Vince and Dakota are much more basketball smart than most freshmen and with another year should be better. PJ lacking in size will have the physical mental battle going on in that he physically may not be able to do what his mind wants, but with enough bigs that may require more than a single player's attention...it might allow PJ more open looks...IF no PG comes to Purdue.

When I first heard about it I thought UK but after listening to the radio it looks like it could be Purdue. Remember is guardian is a former Purdue football player and he said the decision is purely a business decision. I really don't really understand what he means by a business decision unless they are getting paid so how is de-committing from MSU a business decision.
If it's a business decision then he wouldn't be going to PU. He'd go to a higher profile school, like MSU or UK. So not sure PU makes sense if that is the case.

You are aware that was a lot different than the situation here. Purdue was the choice for Dawson according to every source for a few years. MSU came out of nowhere and landed Dawson a player that Matt recruited very heavy and lost at the last minute. The turn of events was in the eyes of most a last second decision out of nowhere. Biggie has been on Purdue's radar for some time. What did Pudue have 5 or 6 coaches in the front row if the state finals?

"Purdue's entire coaching staff was in attendance for the championship game, and the Boilermakers have made Swanigan a recruiting priority for several months. He has made a handful of unofficial visits to Purdue."

MSU had recruitesd Swanigan for some time and nobody was in shock that he picked MSU...Dawson was another story....
And when he announced for MSU, he also said it was down to them and Cal. I'm not implying anything shady, but it's pretty strange.

"I am not sure I'm seeing an issue. Even with Swanigan Purdue has a scholarship left for a point guard."

That's right. If Swanigan chooses Purdue, that would fill 12 of the 13 for next season:

1. SF/G Davis (Sr.)
2. C Hammons (Sr.)
3. SF Smotherman (Jr.)
4. SG Stephens (Jr.)
5. F/G Edwards (So.)
6. C Haas (So.)
7. CG Mathias (So.)
8. PG Thompson (So.)
9. PF Taylor (RS Fr.)
10. SG Cline (Fr.)
11. G Weatherford (Fr.)
12. PF/C Swanigan (Fr.) ?
13. vacant

The issue is there aren't any point guards available.

There are a few immediately eligible DI transfer PG's still available (Johnny Hill of UT-Arlington would be a solid get) and there's new transfers made public pretty much every single day for the first few months of the offseason. IIRC, I don't think Jon Octeus' announcement to leave Colorado State was until May or June last year. There are quite a few JC PG's still available as well. A couple of the uncommitted JC All-American PG's that I know of are Marcus Johnson, Jr. (Hill College) and Bryce Jones (Jones County CC). They both have impressive numbers from this past season, particularly Johnson.

And when he announced for MSU, he also said it was down to them and Cal. I'm not implying anything shady, but it's pretty strange.

If you haven't noticed the media the last few years you might need to listen less? People say things for a variety of reasons and are not always truthful. I was shocked he didn't announce for Purdue initially just because it was a situation that all indicators pointed to being of importance. I won't be shocked if he lands at Purdue or another spot? It is not a huge thing either way for me. He is NOT a Robinson, but is a solid player that has some promise. Purdue and most schools could use his abilities. Rosie makes enough money and with his career he couldn't begin to get involved in a penny thing...and if it were shady for Biggie...why NOW? Purdue has lost plenty of good players if they were shady enough to continually land 5 stars and such...why haven't they?

Rosie is going to advise Biggie based upon his indepth understanding of how things really are than various forum members. The weighting of the variouis varibles I'm sure will be shared with Biggie and it may lead to Purdue or it may lead to another spot. There will be people supporting many different schools that will question whatever school biggie picks based upon THEIR views, not the informed views (which could still be wrong) of Rosie.. Purdue can use him, but if not life goes on and Purdue will still be good next year...

Purdue just landed an immediately eligible point guard transfer. Johnny Hill from Texas-Arlington. He was also being courted by Illinois.

Purdue just landed an immediately eligible point guard transfer. Johnny Hill from Texas-Arlington. He was also being courted by Illinois.

Probably good news. I was thinking they might be able to lure a good pg transfer and it'd fill in their glaring weakness. Hill doesn't seem all that impressive of a pickup imo.

They melted down over Gordon and this is the same or worse. Purdue grads are not hypocrites so I am sure they are ripping He and his family on GBI right now.

How is this the same or worse? I didn't realize Swanigan had been committed to Michigan State for a year like Gordon had been with Illinois.

For the record, I didn't think it was a big deal that Gordon switched. You guys had a new coach and I get it. But saying Swanigan was the same or worse just doesn't hold much water IMO.

How is this the same or worse? I didn't realize Swanigan had been committed to Michigan State for a year like Gordon had been with Illinois.

For the record, I didn't think it was a big deal that Gordon switched. You guys had a new coach and I get it. But saying Swanigan was the same or worse just doesn't hold much water IMO.

Holds plenty of water thank you.

Both are intra league transfers that the GBI hate crowd said were strictly prohibited due to the sacred gentlemen's agreements that were discussed for three months over there after the Gordon transfer.

Now consider the hate thrown from your dugout regarding Dawson which by the way, has the exact same quantity of evidence regarding foul play as this Swanigan transfer...getting interesting huh Sparky?

Hope that helps.

Holds plenty of water thank you.

Both are intra league transfers that the GBI hate crowd said were strictly prohibited due to the sacred gentlemen's agreements that were discussed for three months over there after the Gordon transfer.

Now consider the hate thrown from your dugout regarding Dawson which by the way, has the exact same quantity of evidence regarding foul play as this Swanigan transfer...getting interesting huh Sparky?

Hope that helps.

Dawson and Swanigan are nothing alike but I do appreciate your effort. You do realize the Dawson info about shady recruiting was first discussed on here by Bloom right? It then was discussed on our boards after that.

Izzo also received NCAA sanctions regarding MSU's recruitment of Dawson even though the sanctions were pretty light.

Dawson and Swanigan are nothing alike but I do appreciate your effort. You do realize the Dawson info about shady recruiting was first discussed on here by Bloom right? It then was discussed on our boards after that.

Being defensive and avoiding the subject isn't helping your cause. Try first acknowledging the sacred gentlemen's agreement meltdown and then discuss it. The Dawson aspect (which even rudimentary reading comprehension would tell you I have zero belief in either case...regardless of who discussed it first) is simply an additional hypocritical complexity that your fellow GBIers have created for themselves.

Personally I could care less, the kid should play where he and Rosie Want him to. Recruiting is not sanitary anywhere, trust me I have first hand exposure, but I don't think Matt Painter is anywhere near the level of crap that goes on in MANY places.

Thanks for including the year of one of our titles in your name. Even subtle compliments are welcome.

An article mentioned a wrist injury he is recovering from that wasn't rehabbed properly. He needs to regain some range of motion.

Last edited:
An article mentioned a wrist injury he is recovering from that wasn't rehabbed properly. He needs to regain some range of motion. I am sure he will get better before practice starts, but when will he be able to work on his game? I thought they would have gotten a better player.
I don't think it said that it wasn't rehabbed properly. I took it to mean he needs to work harder on getting it back in shape. I imagine he will be fine by November.

Yes, I'm disappointed because I thought CMP could get someone (a JC transfer or hold off and wait for someone else to transfer) that's more of a threat offensively, to go along with being a distributor and adept at controlling the tempo. He seems pretty average up to this point in his career. Jon Octeus had better numbers prior to his transfer to Purdue. Hill doesn't have great career shooting stats and his A/TO ratio has been rather pedestrian for being a starting PG two out of his three seasons. Maybe he can improve his shooting and tighten up handles, but it would have been more assuring to get someone with more impressive credentials. He has experience playing extended minutes. That's probably the best thing about his arrival.

He can be a good backup but that's what P.J. Thompson's ceiling is as well (IMO) so I don't know how much this will help. I don't think he's the answer in having a high-level primary PG for next season. One of the returnees needs to transform their game this offseason and step it up a level if the Boilers are going to have a real difference-maker at the 1 (Edwards and Mathias are the best passers). This is what happens when a coach misses on several of his PG targets for a certain class (Jalen Brunson, Glynn Watson, Villanova transfer Dylan Ennis).

Last edited:
Swanigan has committed to Purdue.

1. SF/G Davis (Sr.)
2. C Hammons (Sr.)
3. PG Johnny Hill (Sr.)
4. SF Smotherman (Jr.)
5. SG Stephens (Jr.)
6. F/G Edwards (So.)
7. C Haas (So.)
8. CG Mathias (So.)
9. PG Thompson (So.)
10. PF Taylor (RS Fr.)
11. SG Cline (Fr.)
12. PF/C Swanigan (Fr.)
13. G Weatherford (Fr.)

Boiler Up

Swanigan has committed to Purdue.

1. SF/G Davis (Sr.)
2. C Hammons (Sr.)
3. PG Johnny Hill (Sr.)
4. SF Smotherman (Jr.)
5. SG Stephens (Jr.)
6. F/G Edwards (So.)
7. C Haas (So.)
8. CG Mathias (So.)
9. PG Thompson (So.)
10. PF Taylor (RS Fr.)
11. SG Cline (Fr.)
12. PF/C Swanigan (Fr.)
13. G Weatherford (Fr.)

Boiler Up
Congratulations on your great pickup and probably is the highest rated player since Robinson. The couple of times I saw Swanigan I was not totally impressed but you could see that he has talent. The only problem I can see is that you guys had great team chemistry and bringing someone like this could hurt that if Swanigan comes in with his own agenda.

I think they would be able to throw over the top!!!!

Swanigan is very skilled, but plays a below the rim game at 6'7 1/2" 270. He rebounds mostly by boxing out with his girth, and has an excellent jump shot out to 3pt range, and is an good FT shooter for a 4. Defensively if his man takes him out of the lane and off the dribble Swanigan is going to struggle and he complains a lot on any call against him, much like Bryson Scott when he was in HS, and that attitude clashed with Coach MP. Swanigan is being guided on the fast track to a pro career by Rosie Barnes his agent handler/guardian. Swanigan also pouted when he posted up and did not get the ball when he wanted it in HS. He will demand his touches which could hurt team chemistry, but he is PU's most skilled low post offensive player. Hammons and Swanigan are going to be a difficult duo in the half court. Beating them up the court will be the most effective way to score inside against the twin beef inside of PU.

Last edited:
Swanigan is very skilled, but plays a below the rim game at 6'7 1/2" 270. He rebounds mostly by boxing out with his girth, and has an excellent jump shot out to 3pt range, and is an good FT shooter for a 4. Defensively if his man takes him out of the lane and off the dribble Swanigan is going to struggle and he complains a lot on any call against him, much like Bryson Scott when he was in HS, and that attitude clashed with Coach MP. Swanigan is being guided on the fast track to a pro career by Rosie Barnes his agent handler/guardian. Swanigan also pouted when he posted up and did not get the ball when he wanted it in HS. He will demand his touches which could hurt team chemistry, but he is PU's most skilled low post offensive player. Hammons and Swanigan are going to be a difficult duo in the half court. Beating them up the court will be the most effective way to score inside against the twin beef inside of PU.

Where do you get that he's 6'7 1/2"? Everywhere I've read he's listed at 6'9".

Everything I've seen from Albert is not all that impressive. He dominated 6'4 white centers in HS, is very lazy as evidenced by his frumpy build and, most disturbing, his handlers. No way would I want any kid that committed and de-committed in the span of a week. Horrible.

Bryant is much better and has much higher character

Everything I've seen from Albert is not all that impressive. He dominated 6'4 white centers in HS, is very lazy as evidenced by his frumpy build and, most disturbing, his handlers. No way would I want any kid that committed and de-committed in the span of a week. Horrible.

Bryant is much better and has much higher character
Heehee..the proof will be in their play now won't it? I think you should contact his handler, Rosie Barnes so you two can sit down and talk about Biggie's shortcomings and lack of character.

Heehee..the proof will be in their play now won't it? I think you should contact his handler, Rosie Barnes so you two can sit down and talk about Biggie's shortcomings and lack of character.
I couldn't care less. Just glad Crean didn't bother with him and he's not playing for IU.

I couldn't care less. Just glad Crean didn't bother with him and he's not playing for IU.
Oh it looks like you care quite a bit to speak so poorly of a high school kid. I'm guessing you must sit on a rather high pinnacle to pass so many morale judgments like you do of others.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
nah - AAU kids like Albert have unfortunately become a dime a dozen and they are preyed on with 'handlers' like Barnes. I'll pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT