ADVERTISEMENT

State of the program.

Reality?

Lynch couldn't improve recruiting after 3 YEARS as head coach? Nonsense.

You know who agrees with me? Fred Glass.

That's why Lynch was removed as coach.
Well, I guess if Fred Glass agrees with you, you must be right! :rolleyes:

Where's you proof that Lynch didn't improve recruiting? Wilson's 4 and 5th years included upperclassmen that were recruited, and signed, under Lynch.

Or are you just repeating something you've heard?

Lynch had a good finish in his last year, going 5-6 and beating Purdue. He didn't have the advantage of a 4th OOC cupcake like Wilson did. The dye was cast when Glass, as a first year AD, succumbed to internal pressures to replace him earlier in the year.

I'll let you in on a little secret, Fred knew about Wilson's issues before he was even hired.

He hired him anyway.

Fred Glass!!!
And you're using that as a reason to validate Glass???

Well, I guess if Fred Glass agrees with you, you must be right! :rolleyes:

Where's you proof that Lynch didn't improve recruiting? Wilson's 4 and 5th years included upperclassmen that were recruited, and signed, under Lynch.

Or are you just repeating something you've heard?

Lynch had a good finish in his last year, going 5-6 and beating Purdue. He didn't have the advantage of a 4th OOC cupcake like Wilson did. The dye was cast when Glass, as a first year AD, succumbed to internal pressures to replace him earlier in the year.

Lynch won one Big Ten game in his last year...Purdue. He also didn't have to play 9 conference games like Wilson did in his final season.

Maybe Lynch did improved recruiting, just not enough to win more conference games. Either way, he needed to go.

Lynch won one Big Ten game in his last year...Purdue. He also didn't have to play 9 conference games like Wilson did in his final season.

Maybe Lynch did improved recruiting, just not enough to win more conference games. Either way, he needed to go.
Lynch didn't need Darrell Hazel to go to a bowl game, with a winning season, OR beat Purdue.

Lynch didn't need Darrell Hazel to go to a bowl game, with a winning season, OR beat Purdue.

True. He only needed a last second field goal and overtime. He also needed 3 years to win 3 conference games. Wilson need 1 to win 4 (and had to play 9).

But please, let's continue this debate some more. Lynch didn't win enough and was removed as coach. Wilson wasn't nice enough and was removed as coach. Both by the same guy who's current hire has failed to reach bowl eligibility the past two seasons.

What else needs to be said?

l am definitely viewing the glass to be half full. And if IU goes 5-7 next year that will not shake my belief.

The “gold standard” of Hoosier football was the 1987 season under the stewardship of Bill Mallory. That was the year the Hoosiers went 8-3 during the regular season with wins over Michigan and Ohio State. IU lost its bowl game but hung on to its ranking of 20 in the coaches poll. Michigan finished number 18 and Ohio State, which was ranked number 4 preseason finished 6-4-1 and did not go to a bowl game. Michigan State was the best team in the conference that year finishing ranked number 8. The Spartans spanked the Hoosiers 27-3 that year. The Hoosiers were blown that same year by Kentucky 34-15 - a team that finished the season with a losing record.

This year’s Hoosiers lost to Ohio State (6), Michigan (7) and Penn State (12). None of the losses were as bad as the 1987 blowout by Iowa. Ohio State fired Earle Bruce as a result of the Indiana loss.

The fact is the 1987 Indiana gold standard team had an up year when the rest of the conference was in the dumpster.

Fast forward 30 years. Northwestern has a better football program than Indiana. In 1987 they were a laughingstock. Top to bottom the Big 10 is more competitive now and has added Penn State and Nebraska. The fact is Indiana could finish 5-7 next year and be as competitive as the 1987 team.

And yet folks would be calling once again for CTA to be fired. CTA is as passionate as Coach Mallory. And he can recruit. And he wants to be here. And the Hoosiers are trending upwards. Those of us who have been following IU football for decades have an appreciation for watching competitive IU football.

My recommendation is that if you are waiting for that trip to the Rose Bowl, you book a ticket to the Caribbean over the New Year next year and enjoy the Hoosiers’ football season as it unfolds.
It's very possible that with an improved team IU will go 5-7. Look at the schedule. The OOC schedule is a bit easier without Virginia and playing Eastern Illinois, Ball State and UConn. Those should be 3 wins. But being in the B1G East leaves no room for error. IU has to win the winnable games at home, as we are a pretty miserable road team. Our home B1G games are tOSU, Rutgers, Northwestern and Michigan. Rutgers is a probable win, NU a "maybe" and kiss off tOSU and UM. Best case scenario is that IU beats both Rutgers and NU, but I think they'll split those games. (Yeah, Rutgers stunk last year, but remember that they lost to IU by 7, NU by 3 and MSU by 4. That game is not a gimme.) The away games are MSU, Maryland, Nebraska, PSU, and PU. If IU played those games at home, we would have a shot at Maryland, PSU (lost by 5 in Bloomington) and an outside shot at the pukes. However, I expect all of those to be losses. The problem is that we play tOSU, UM and NU at home instead of the more winnable games. So if we win the 3 OOC games and split Rutgers and NU, that's 4 wins. That means we have to win 2 games on the road from MSU, Maryland, Nebraska, PSU and PU. I would think Maryland might be an outside shot, but they were really pretty good this year (they played us tough in Bloomington and remember the tOSU/Maryland game). I expect to lose all road games. If we beat both Rutgers and NU, that still leaves us at 5 wins.

Now some folks might think that we have a shot at beating tOSU or UM at home or maybe Nebraska on the road. But being one who has been waiting since 1987 for that "signature" win, I know that will not happen. Just won't happen. Accept it.

For those singing the praises of Brohm, he has done a pretty good job in pukeland, but don't ignore the fact that he is in the B1G West. The pukes don't have to play tOSU, UM, PSU and MSU EVERY YEAR. NU was the only unbeatable in the the West this year. Would love to see how he would do in the East.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
True. He only needed a last second field goal and overtime. He also needed 3 years to win 3 conference games. Wilson need 1 to win 4 (and had to play 9).

But please, let's continue this debate some more. Lynch didn't win enough and was removed as coach. Wilson wasn't nice enough and was removed as coach. Both by the same guy who's current hire has failed to reach bowl eligibility the past two seasons.

What else needs to be said?
By your logic, Lynch needed 0 years to win 4 Big Ten games.

In his last year, the Wisconsin game was a disaster. But he lost by 7 at Michigan in a game everyone knows was influenced by the refs in a big way. They lost by 3 to Northwestern and by 5 to a ranked Iowa team in the 'dropped pass' game.

I know we don't count moral victories around here, but Lynch's team was not defined by that Wisconsin game. Ask O$U about being blown out at Purdue if you don't think blowouts happen from time to time even for very good teams.

Reactions: vesuvius13

In his last year, the Wisconsin game was a disaster. But he lost by 7 at Michigan in a game everyone knows was influenced by the refs in a big way. They lost by 3 to Northwestern and by 5 to a ranked Iowa team in the 'dropped pass' game.

I know we don't count moral victories around here, but Lynch's team was not defined by that Wisconsin game. Ask O$U about being blown out at Purdue if you don't think blowouts happen from time to time even for very good teams.

I'm not disputing any of that. But the fact remains, Lynch only won one conference game in each of his last three seasons. And one of those was in his last game as head coach. Close losses are irrelevant. That's not improvement and it wasn't good enough for him to retain employment at Indiana.

No other logic is necessary.

Have a Merry Christmas, truly.

I'm not disputing any of that. But the fact remains, Lynch only won one conference game in each of his last three seasons. And one of those was in his last game as head coach. Close losses are irrelevant. That's not improvement and it wasn't good enough for him to retain employment at Indiana.

No other logic is necessary.

Have a Merry Christmas, truly.
OK, I can see you're focused solely on the W/L record and not the improvement shown from 2008 to 2010 or our lasting winning season. So, I'm assuming your'e calling for Allen's head also, since he hasn't been to a bowl game and had 2 losing seasons in a row?

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

Not always.

Even when Mallory went 0-11, you could see improvement and what was coming.

W and L does NOT always tell the whole story.

Example - Brohm won 6 without Moore, and failed to improve his W and L record after adding the best new player in the league. Does that mean he sucks?

For the purposes of discussing Lynch's fourth year at Indiana, close losses are irrelevant. Or did you see improvement in that Wisconsin game? Or the lone conference win vs. Purdue? (in overtime)

Otherwise, I agree with you.

OK, I can see you're focused solely on the W/L record and not the improvement shown from 2008 to 2010 or our lasting winning season. So, I'm assuming your'e calling for Allen's head also, since he hasn't been to a bowl game and had 2 losing seasons in a row?

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

No, I'm not calling for Allen's head. And have been pretty adamant about that. I do think a search should have been conducted and believe he shouldn't have been hired. But he's the coach, for better or worse. For at least two more seasons.

He has a lot to prove. And things don't get easier next year.

Reactions: bang63
Absolutely not. But doesn't that kinda make his decision to promote Allen as suspect as well...?

Are you implying that Wilson shouldn't have been extended after back-to-back bowl seasons? Yeah, that sounds perfectly reasonable.
Wilson barely beat PU when they had a bad coach that couldn't win B1G games. I guarantee you Wilson wouldn't have won Bucket games against Brohmn so get over the back to back bowl games. Wilson was 5-6 going into the gimme games against PU.

Reactions: DANC
Wilson barely beat PU when they had a bad coach that couldn't win B1G games. I guarantee you Wilson wouldn't have won Bucket games against Brohmn so get over the back to back bowl games. Wilson was 5-6 going into the gimme games against PU.

How do you guarantee something like that?
How do you know he couldn't beat Brohm?

You don't. All you know is that Allen hasn't done it in two tries. With a bowl on the line both times. So your post is blathering nonsense.

Think he'll be able to do it next year in West Lafayette?

Wilson couldn't control who the coach at Purdue was. So his wins for the Bucket shouldn't be diminished. As an Indiana fan, I'll not be getting over back-to-back bowl games any time soon, thank you very much.

How do you guarantee something like that?
How do you know he couldn't beat Brohm?

You don't. All you know is that Allen hasn't done it in two tries. With a bowl on the line both times. So your post is blathering nonsense.

Think he'll be able to do it next year in West Lafayette?

Wilson couldn't control who the coach at Purdue was. So his wins for the Bucket shouldn't be diminished. As an Indiana fan, I'll not be getting over back-to-back bowl games any time soon, thank you very much.
Hell, we fired a coach who went to 6 bowl games - 3 in a row!

People seemed to get over that in a hurry!

Reactions: ESalum86

He lost by 3 to Northwestern after being up 28-3!!! That was a total cluster. He had no balls as a coach. His teams were the ultimate of playing scared.

Reactions: IUgradman
You have no idea how Wilson would have done the last couple years. None of us do.

Wow. The haters and Negative Nellies are out in full force. I guess IU Football's very good week has upset their world order.
Honestly I think it’s just the fact that we keep watching a bunch of mediocre teams playing in bowl games. And now two years in a row we sit at home with a pretty talented team. It’s frustrating.

Reactions: IUgradman and td75
Wow. The haters and Negative Nellies are out in full force. I guess IU Football's very good week has upset their world order.
Lots of people who are pissed off Wilson got fired after not having a winning season in 6 years, despite playing some of the weakest competition IU has ever played, can't stand coaches like Lynch who provided IU's only winning season in the last 11 years and couldn't allow him more than 3 years as HC.

They can't see past their own bias.

Honestly I think it’s just the fact that we keep watching a bunch of mediocre teams playing in bowl games. And now two years in a row we sit at home with a pretty talented team. It’s frustrating.
Made me sick watching FIU play in the bowl game in the Bahamas, with the stands mostly empty.

Lots of people who are pissed off Wilson got fired after not having a winning season in 6 years, despite playing some of the weakest competition IU has ever played, can't stand coaches like Lynch who provided IU's only winning season in the last 11 years and couldn't allow him more than 3 years as HC.

They can't see past their own bias.

Wilson should have been let go sooner. The first day on campus he makes an ass of himself. Fred should have admitted a mistake and canned him for code of conduct violations.

Lynch’s teams got progressively worse. He had a stocked roster right after Hep so it was not like he was a miracle worker. They key years were 2008 -2010 and it was a disaster. He didn’t develop guys. Hep was a motivation machine for what he had. The UK game at home he had that team in a frenzy. Beat 15th ranked Iowa. Beat MSU handily at home. Hep would have been awesome at IU.

Look no further than the period he was sick in 2006 and Lynch took over and turned in duds against SIU and UConn. The team was a disaster under his guidance. Hep comes back for Illinois and we get down big. He gives an ass chewing on the sidelines and his team ran through a brick wall for him that day and won. Our FB, Josiah Sears, became a mad dog and ran over that team in the 2nd half.
Some coaches have “it.” Others don’t.

Reactions: IUgradman and 82IU
Wilson should have been let go sooner. The first day on campus he makes an ass of himself. Fred should have admitted a mistake and canned him for code of conduct violations.

Lynch’s teams got progressively worse. He had a stocked roster right after Hep so it was not like he was a miracle worker. They key years were 2008 -2010 and it was a disaster. He didn’t develop guys. Hep was a motivation machine for what he had. The UK game at home he had that team in a frenzy. Beat 15th ranked Iowa. Beat MSU handily at home. Hep would have been awesome at IU.

Look no further than the period he was sick in 2006 and Lynch took over and turned in duds against SIU and UConn. The team was a disaster under his guidance. Hep comes back for Illinois and we get down big. He gives an ass chewing on the sidelines and his team ran through a brick wall for him that day and won. Our FB, Josiah Sears, became a mad dog and ran over that team in the 2nd half.
Some coaches have “it.” Others don’t.
Again, you just don't have your 'facts' right. Lynch's team's only digressed 1 year - after his winning season. They got progressively better after that and his 2009 class was highly rated, for IU. All this without the needed contract extension to assure recruits he'd be there until they graduated.

Again, you just don't have your 'facts' right. Lynch's team's only digressed 1 year - after his winning season. They got progressively better after that and his 2009 class was highly rated, for IU. All this without the needed contract extension to assure recruits he'd be there until they graduated.

You definition of “progressively better” must be vastly different than most. 2008 was not even competitive. We lost to Ball State and Central Michigan and got completely blown off the field by several teams.
2009 - we scraped by Eastern Kentucky and Western Michigan and won 1 conference game against an Illinois team in disarray.
2010 - Finished dead last in the conference. Won 5 games overall by beating 4 low end non-cons and then the Bucket Game. There has only been 4 games in the history of football where a team has scored more than 83 points in a game and only one bewtween FBS opponents. Lynch holds that honor.

You are creating some major revisionist history on Lynch. I cannot believe this idea that Lynch was a good coach. It’s mind-boggling. Are you related to him?

You definition of “progressively better” must be vastly different than most. 2008 was not even competitive. We lost to Ball State and Central Michigan and got completely blown off the field by several teams.
2009 - we scraped by Eastern Kentucky and Western Michigan and won 1 conference game against an Illinois team in disarray.
2010 - Finished dead last in the conference. Won 5 games overall by beating 4 low end non-cons and then the Bucket Game. There has only been 4 games in the history of football where a team has scored more than 83 points in a game and only one bewtween FBS opponents. Lynch holds that honor.

You are creating some major revisionist history on Lynch. I cannot believe this idea that Lynch was a good coach. It’s mind-boggling. Are you related to him?
You are the only one trying to revise history.

First of all, Lynch had a greater winning percentage at IU than Wilson, who got 6 years. Lynch was .388 at 19-30 and Wilson was .361 at 26-46.

Second, his record at IU was
2007- 7-6
2008 - 3-9
2009 - 4-8
2010 - 5-7

So, as I said, after a falloff after the last winning season IU has had in 11 years, Lynch steadily improved and beat Purdue.

I know you don't like it, but that's considered progress by anyone with a functioning brain.

Last edited:
I hate to get into the middle of this brawl, you guys are throwing haymakers, but Wilson certainly did beat a pretty sporty Western Kentucky team that Mr Brohm coached in 2015.

I'll go on record right now and tell you guys that Western Kentucky team would beat the pants off of his first two Purdue teams. They had a real deal RB and an excellent "system QB".

First of all, Lynch had a greater winning percentage at IU than Wilson, who got 6 years. Lynch was .388 at 19-30 and Wilson was .361 at 26-46.

2007- 7-6
2008 - 3-9
2009 - 4-8
2010 - 5-7

So, as I said, after a falloff after the last winning season IU has had in 11 years, Lynch steadily improved and beat Purdue.

I know you don't like it, but that's considered progress by anyone with a functioning brain.

O geez.......anyone who knows a damn about football can tell his program was not making any headway. The fact you embrace this is disturbing. Go ahead and ask the board if they think Lynch’s program was on the right track? See how many people agree with you that we were making progress and trending up?

We must all be functioning idiots.

Even Fred Glass, who has been criticized for his hiring decisions, got this one right. He could see what common sense was telling him.

The revisionist history with some of you guys is amazing!

Upon some time to reflect, “I think Tom Crean’s team played some pretty lock down defense and if you think about it, we really held teams down below their scoring avgs. Tom doesn’t get the credit he deserves as a defensive-minded coach.”

This is how your posts sound.

O geez.......anyone who knows a damn about football can tell his program was not making any headway. The fact you embrace this is disturbing. Go ahead and ask the board if they think Lynch’s program was on the right track? See how many people agree with you that we were making progress and trending up?

We must all be functioning idiots.

Even Fred Glass, who has been criticized for his hiring decisions, got this one right. He could see what common sense was telling him.

The revisionist history with some of you guys is amazing!

Upon some time to reflect, “I think Tom Crean’s team played some pretty lock down defense and if you think about it, we really held teams down below their scoring avgs. Tom doesn’t get the credit he deserves as a defensive-minded coach.”

This is how your posts sound.
Once again, you rave on in your posts without giving any facts. And when you do, your facts are wrong, such as his team didn't improve year-to-year, when the W/Ls indicate he did improve.

Then you get apoplectic when I post the real facts and you can't respond with anything other than calling someone idiots.

Even your example is bogus because you can't back anything up with facts.

At this point, you're little more than a cartoon character.

Once again, you rave on in your posts without giving any facts. And when you do, your facts are wrong, such as his team didn't improve year-to-year, when the W/Ls indicate he did improve.

Then you get apoplectic when I post the real facts and you can't respond with anything other than calling someone idiots.

Even your example is bogus because you can't back anything up with facts.

At this point, you're little more than a cartoon character.

Okay.

Let’s let others chime in here and see what they have to say?

Bill Lynch - was his program improving year over year? Take out the cream puff non-conference schedule. 2008 - 2010. Was Bill Lynch improving the program in its level of play within the conference during these 3 seasons?

2007- 7-6
2008 - 3-9
2009 - 4-8
2010 - 5-7

Can't believe you guys are having an argument over two terrible coaches who should have been let go before they were. Lynch should have never been hired in the first place because he did not have the resume.

Can't believe you guys are having an argument over two terrible coaches who should have been let go before they were. Lynch should have never been hired in the first place because he did not have the resume.

Thank you Scott.
I agree wholeheartedly. I’m glad there is one sane individual.

Wow this could be the first time you ever agreed with me on anyhting

It’s the joy of Christmas taking over my friend. Every time a poster rings, an angel gets its wings.

I have had heated disagreements with you but here’s wishing you a happy holiday season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT