ADVERTISEMENT

State of the program.

Agree. But unfortunately it’s looking like they were both better than what we currently have. That’s probably why people keep bringing them up.
I only bring it up to correct factual inaccuracies. I never said Lynch was a great coach - only that he never got a real chance to be.

But on this forum, you have to either hate or love a coach. Or the coach is horrible or a Hall of Fame coach. There is no middle ground.

And God forbid anyone bring up any circumstances that might explain how things happen. I think, after 5 or 6 years, a coach makes his own circumstances. But if he can't have a roster full of his own recruits, there should be understanding of circumstances beyond the coach's control.

Then you have guys like Big Red Crimson Hate-Everything-IU-Does who have an agenda they just want to push and you have what you have today.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I only bring it up to correct factual inaccuracies. I never said Lynch was a great coach - only that he never got a real chance to be.

But on this forum, you have to either hate or love a coach. Or the coach is horrible or a Hall of Fame coach. There is no middle ground.

And God forbid anyone bring up any circumstances that might explain how things happen. I think, after 5 or 6 years, a coach makes his own circumstances. But if he can't have a roster full of his own recruits, there should be understanding of circumstances beyond the coach's control.

Then you have guys like Big Red Crimson Hate-Everything-IU-Does who have an agenda they just want to push and you have what you have today.

That’s preposterous. I thought Bill Lynch was a fine human being and a great ambassador for the university.
He was just a terrible, terrible football coach. Regardless of his roster, the challenges, etc. he was just a bad football coach across the whole spectrum. I can separate the two. I don’t hate the guy. He just had a terrible coaching philosophy, game plan, motivation and recruiting.

The guy should never have been coaching at this level.

He was given plenty of time to show something. 4 years + 2 games in 2006. Even Fred had seen enough.

Lynch should have never been hired in the first place because he did not have the resume.
He had a significant amount more than Allen ever did. What are your thoughts about that panic hire?
Okay.

Let’s let others chime in here and see what they have to say?

Bill Lynch - was his program improving year over year? Take out the cream puff non-conference schedule. 2008 - 2010. Was Bill Lynch improving the program in its level of play within the conference during these 3 seasons?
Getting rid of Lynch is probably the only thing Glass has done right regarding football decisions. However, he hasn't learned his lesson in respect, that a football program like IU, will never get over the hump with newbie head coaches, who will take many years to learn on the fly, and even that isn't likely.

The lack of a search has already stalled whatever momentum Wilson had built, and now we've watched Purdue pass us on by, while we are sitting at home scratching our heads wondering "what could have been" with a competent AD and a national search. Truly baffling why some on here can't see where the shortcomings really are.

Reactions: bang63 and fpeaugh
He had a significant amount more than Allen ever did. What are your thoughts about that panic hire?

Getting rid of Lynch is probably the only thing Glass has done right regarding football decisions. However, he hasn't learned his lesson in respect, that a football program like IU, will never get over the hump with newbie head coaches, who will take many years to learn on the fly, and even that isn't likely.

The lack of a search has already stalled whatever momentum Wilson had built, and now we've watched Purdue pass us on by, while we are sitting at home scratching our heads wondering "what could have been" with a competent AD and a national search. Truly baffling why some on here can't see where the shortcomings really are.
The stall is mostly due to Wilson poor classes from the last three classes. No real B1G QBs left to the new coaches. Look at the scoring when Wilson lost Nate for a season or graduated 2014 and 2016. They didn't score as well as the last two years with Ramsey at QB. You and others want to blame it on the coaches but it is Wilson's classes. The real first class for this staff was our freshman this year and number of them showed they could play in the B1G even as freshman. Give this staff time to develop the players coming in and see how the team looks in 2020 and after.

Allen will improve this team just give him time to do it.

The lack of a search has already stalled whatever momentum Wilson had built,
You're entitled to your opinion about the Allen hire, but please don't rewrite history. Wilson did initially create some buzz and momentum, but recruiting and the program were trending down at the end of his tenure, including terrible PR associated with the player mistreatment allegations.

Wilson built two highly ranked and highly regarded offenses (2013 and 2015), but couldn't even get to .500 with the first one, and couldn't manage a winning season with the second. Those were horribly squandered opportunities. His two bowl seasons were courtesy of historically shitty Purdue teams, and his last season featured a pretty mediocre (at best) offense. He left with IU in need of some serious rebuilding - - with respect to reputation and offensive talent. I would hardly call that "momentum."

The stall is mostly due to Wilson poor classes from the last three classes. No real B1G QBs left to the new coaches. Look at the scoring when Wilson lost Nate for a season or graduated 2014 and 2016. They didn't score as well as the last two years with Ramsey at QB. You and others want to blame it on the coaches but it is Wilson's classes. The real first class for this staff was our freshman this year and number of them showed they could play in the B1G even as freshman. Give this staff time to develop the players coming in and see how the team looks in 2020 and after.

No doubt CTA & staff recruiting has been great given our historical place within the BIG. Two solid years. Now the on field performance needs to happen to maintain our momentum. At a minimum 6 wins and a bowl. I fear without this step forward our upward trend will fizzle.

You're entitled to your opinion about the Allen hire, but please don't rewrite history. Wilson did initially create some buzz and momentum, but recruiting and the program were trending down at the end of his tenure, including terrible PR associated with the player mistreatment allegations.

Wilson built two highly ranked and highly regarded offenses (2013 and 2015), but couldn't even get to .500 with the first one, and couldn't manage a winning season with the second. Those were horribly squandered opportunities. His two bowl seasons were courtesy of historically shitty Purdue teams, and his last season featured a pretty mediocre (at best) offense. He left with IU in need of some serious rebuilding - - with respect to reputation and offensive talent. I would hardly call that "momentum."
Rewrite history? You mean like your preseason predictions of seven wins the last two seasons? And now you attribute that failure to a self serving backup plan of Wilson is the scapegoat? Wow, (not really) shocking to say the least.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2017/08/kevin-wilson-left-indiana-loaded-for-tom-allen

Read this and think it out again.

Rewrite history? You mean like your preseason predictions of seven wins the last two seasons? And now you attribute that failure to a self serving backup plan of Wilson is the scapegoat? Wow, (not really) shocking to say the least.
Are you truly this much of a moron? What does this even mean? A fan's predictions aren't "history." And what do my predictions in '17 and '18 have to do with what happened in '13, '15 and '16, which is what I was talking about?

I was wrong about 7-5, but so what? We're talking sports here, not curing cancer. And we're all anonymous, so who really cares? While your ego might be destroyed by an anonymous message board prediction you made that turned out to be wrong, clear-thinking, sane people would hardly be affected by an erroneous prediction.

P.S. I'm assuming you were gone for several weeks because of a "timeout." Here's to more of those for you in 2019.

College football news is a preseason article not including a new offensive system nor looked at the brutal schedule IU had in 2017. Injuries played a huge part of the 2017 season and the classes that were left were low rated classes. IU plays the tough division in the B1G. Lagow didn't improve and IU was missing he returning top receiver along with Feeney missing several games and losing Camiel for the season after a few games.

Coach Wilson had the best players he had in 2014 and 2016 other than missing Sudfeld. 2014 they won 4 games despite having a pro RB in the backfield [Coleman]. His to bowl seasons included 2015 with another Pro RB in the backfield [Howard] and barely beating Purdue for four years due to the bad coach they had.

Preseason prognostications aren't worth the paper they are written on because they can't anticipate key injuries nor do they look at schedules or installing new systems. You have your fantasy so live with it instead of the reality of the situation that existed. Some want to claim 2017 class was Allen's class when Wilson's staff recruited the players and Allen was able to hold on to them. 2018 and 2019 are the first classes this staff has recruited and they are very good players with a number that played this year and showed they belong in the B1G.

Reactions: ESalum86
Are you truly this much of a moron? What does this even mean? A fan's predictions aren't "history." And what do my predictions in '17 and '18 have to do with what happened in '13, '15 and '16, which is what I was talking about?

I was wrong about 7-5, but so what? We're talking sports here, not curing cancer. And we're all anonymous, so who really cares? While your ego might be destroyed by an anonymous message board prediction you made that turned out to be wrong, clear-thinking, sane people would hardly be affected by an erroneous prediction.

P.S. I'm assuming you were gone for several weeks because of a "timeout." Here's to more of those for you in 2019.
The point is, if in fact you believe the momentum was stalled due to Wilson, you would never predict a higher win total for Allen in both years. So, in conclusion, you either have no clue about what is going on at IU, or Allen stalled the momentum. I'll let you answer that.

You assume wrong on the last paragraph, but it sure is fun to try and see you weasel out of flawed logic.

College football news is a preseason article not including a new offensive system nor looked at the brutal schedule IU had in 2017. Injuries played a huge part of the 2017 season and the classes that were left were low rated classes. IU plays the tough division in the B1G. Lagow didn't improve and IU was missing he returning top receiver along with Feeney missing several games and losing Camiel for the season after a few games.

Coach Wilson had the best players he had in 2014 and 2016 other than missing Sudfeld. 2014 they won 4 games despite having a pro RB in the backfield [Coleman]. His to bowl seasons included 2015 with another Pro RB in the backfield [Howard] and barely beating Purdue for four years due to the bad coach they had.

Preseason prognostications aren't worth the paper they are written on because they can't anticipate key injuries nor do they look at schedules or installing new systems. You have your fantasy so live with it instead of the reality of the situation that existed. Some want to claim 2017 class was Allen's class when Wilson's staff recruited the players and Allen was able to hold on to them. 2018 and 2019 are the first classes this staff has recruited and they are very good players with a number that played this year and showed they belong in the B1G.
Uh ok, whatever you say. Allen has only looked good when he HAD Wilson's players. Now that most of those guys are gone, you can't use the logic of Allen getting a pass. But yet, guys like you are still blaming Wilson like there wasn't enough talent and being in the East. Newsflash, we can't seem to beat the West either. Allen may be a good DC, but a head coach at this point and juncture, he should not be.

Reactions: bang63
The point is, if in fact you believe the momentum was stalled due to Wilson, you would never predict a higher win total for Allen in both years. So, in conclusion, you either have no clue about what is going on at IU, or Allen stalled the momentum. I'll let you answer that.

You assume wrong on the last paragraph, but it sure is fun to try and see you weasel out of flawed logic.
I'll try this one last time and you can then have the final word because I know your fragile ego requires it.

Recruiting was in a decline at the end of Wilson's tenure. So was the offense, which was Wilson's bailiwick. The 2016 season, potentially disastrous because of the dropoff in IU's offense, was saved by Allen's defense. 2016 was a 4-8 season at best if Allen hadn't come to town. Despite the offensive regression in 2016, I thought IU had a reasonably good shot at pulling off a winning season in 2017 because the defense had been so impressive in 2016. Neither I, nor anyone, could have anticipated the plethora of injuries that impacted the team in 2017.

So, yeah, I predicted a higher win total in 2017 not because of Wilson, but because of Allen. Flawed logic? Look in the mirror.

I'll try this one last time and you can then have the final word because I know your fragile ego requires it.

Recruiting was in a decline at the end of Wilson's tenure. So was the offense, which was Wilson's bailiwick. The 2016 season, potentially disastrous because of the dropoff in IU's offense, was saved by Allen's defense. 2016 was a 4-8 season at best if Allen hadn't come to town. Despite the offensive regression in 2016, I thought IU had a reasonably good shot at pulling off a winning season in 2017 because the defense had been so impressive in 2016. Neither I, nor anyone, could have anticipated the plethora of injuries that impacted the team in 2017.

So, yeah, I predicted a higher win total in 2017 not because of Wilson, but because of Allen. Flawed logic? Look in the mirror.
IU had just gone to back-to-back bowls and had a ton returning for 2017 and you don't consider this momentum? And somehow it's Wilson's fault that team ended up short of a bowl bid? This is exactly why some of your takes are billboard material. Keep it up, think I'll have a few more laughs.

Uh ok, whatever you say. Allen has only looked good when he HAD Wilson's players. Now that most of those guys are gone, you can't use the logic of Allen getting a pass. But yet, guys like you are still blaming Wilson like there wasn't enough talent and being in the East. Newsflash, we can't seem to beat the West either. Allen may be a good DC, but a head coach at this point and juncture, he should not be.

troll.

IU had just gone to back-to-back bowls and had a ton returning for 2017 and you don't consider this momentum? And somehow it's Wilson's fault that team ended up short of a bowl bid? This is exactly why some of your takes are billboard material. Keep it up, think I'll have a few more laughs.

troll.

please don't feed the trolls.

Reactions: 76-1 and 82hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT