ADVERTISEMENT

So Who Is Your First Choice?

Kelly_32

All-Big Ten
Dec 12, 2004
I want Gruden.

National Football League GIF by NFL

Jimbo Fisher.
45-25 at Texas A&M, where it is hard to win in the SEC West.

😎

Creighton but that's highly unlikely to happen...

By the way, as far as the no swearing rule by the players goes..., Robert Montgomery Knight had the same rule...

I have no idea who would consider but I think Urban Meyer would be good even though I think he is a little scummy.

If we are considering the unproven assistant route for the next hire I would prefer we go a less conventional route and bring in Peyton Manning. He would be my first choice for a hire “outside the box”. Get Arch to transfer as a package deal and bring back Tom Allen to use his buyout payments to focus only on leading the defense. 😂

While not conventional I believe Peyton could do big things even having not coached before. A head coach just needs good connections to recruit great assistants, understands game management, and can lead a locker room. If I were Dolson I would at least try and see if he can be convinced. Like Deion his name recognition may help us out recruit what the program history will bring on its own.

Whichever way we go I hope it’s not Gruden. Though, even if I hate the next hire I will support whoever we bring in and hope I’m proven wrong if it turns out to be a hire I don’t initially like.

1. Fitz
2. Herman
3. Chryst
4. Helton (the one from WKU)
5. Cignetti

* - if Clawson and/or Mullen throw their hats in the ring (would be very surprised if either did so), move everyone on my list down a spot or 2!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JBT Assoc
If we are considering the unproven assistant route for the next hire I would prefer we go a less conventional route and bring in Peyton Manning. He would be my first choice for a hire “outside the box”. Get Arch to transfer as a package deal and bring back Tom Allen to use his buyout payments to focus only on leading the defense. 😂

While not conventional I believe Peyton could do big things even having not coached before. A head coach just needs good connections to recruit great assistants, understands game management, and can lead a locker room. If I were Dolson I would at least try and see if he can be convinced. Like Deion his name recognition may help us out recruit what the program history will bring on its own.

Whichever way we go I hope it’s not Gruden. Though, even if I hate the next hire I will support whoever we bring in and hope I’m proven wrong if it turns out to be a hire I don’t initially like.

Odds of IU hiring Jon Gruden are about the same as hiring Bill Belickick.

• Haha
Reactions: 4th&short
Screw it, I’m changing for the seventh time.

Jamarcus Shephard: Ft Wayne native
Washington: Associate head coach/passing game coordinator/wr coach. Name a guy who can brag more than him over the last two years?

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Herman sounds kind of like a whiney jerk, looking at stories about him. Don't see where people say he's unethical or sleaze , not like an Urban Meyer, but he has had instances of immature stuff. But hopefully overblown.

He'd be worth a shot IMO because he would be a guy who could bring players in. And sounds like he can coach.

Reactions: nichlee
Tony Dungy

... But, like most of the names being tossed out there's no chance that TD is gonna happen.

Herman sounds kind of like a whiney jerk, looking at stories about him. Don't see where people say he's unethical or sleaze , not like an Urban Meyer, but he has had instances of immature stuff. But hopefully overblown.

He'd be worth a shot IMO because he would be a guy who could bring players in. And sounds like he can coach.
I have heard that he did a lot of undermining Charlie Strong at Texas. Just like Malzahn did Houston Nutt at Arkansas.

Jimbo Fisher.
45-25 at Texas A&M, where it is hard to win in the SEC West.

😎
Fisher could likely bring some players with him, given that, as has been mentioned, it looks like everybody but the cheerleaders are entering the portal.

Go big. Pay the big bucks. Shock the football world. Don’t be poor little IU anymore. Aim high; shoot high.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
Brian Hartline. OSU offensive coordinator and one of the top recruiters in the country. Well-versed in NIL, which IU is undoubtedly clueless, NFL wideout who gets offense and has developed a few decent receivers in Columbus.

Reactions: CraigHo and nichlee
I know this isn’t an answer and possibly an unpopular idea, but is there a Jeff Brohm type of option?

1. Fitz
2. Herman
3. Chryst
4. Helton (the one from WKU)
5. Cignetti

* - if Clawson and/or Mullen throw their hats in the ring (would be very surprised if either did so), move everyone on my list down a spot or 2!!!
I’d be pleased with Clawson. Have doubts he’d take IU job - there may be better opportunities upcoming.

Mullen would be a home run for IU. Seriously doubt he’d take it.

Fisher could likely bring some players with him, given that, as has been mentioned, it looks like everybody but the cheerleaders are entering the portal.

Go big. Pay the big bucks. Shock the football world. Don’t be poor little IU anymore. Aim high; shoot high.
No reason not to aim high. MUST PAY some big money.
Still… IU is a black hole for head fb coaches. Tough part is finding a really good candidate who will want the job.

Brian Hartline. OSU offensive coordinator and one of the top recruiters in the country. Well-versed in NIL, which IU is undoubtedly clueless, NFL wideout who gets offense and has developed a few decent receivers in Columbus.
There it is. Jamarcus Shephard as the OC. Let me pay these guys, I just need the money.

I actually love the idea of Peyton! Pay him $10-$12 million a year (maybe more) for four years with no buyout. It'll pay for itself.

• Haha
Reactions: nichlee
I actually love the idea of Peyton! Pay him $10-$12 million a year (maybe more) for four years with no buyout. It'll pay for itself.
Peyton Manning makes more than that to just comment on NFL. Why on earth would he want to take a job that requires him to work 16-hour days, year round?
Better odds that Jon Gruden takes the job. 😂

I know this isn’t an answer and possibly an unpopular idea, but is there a Jeff Brohm type of option?
Jeff Traylor is kind of similar. He coaches UTSA, which is also in Conference USA. He is a few years older than Brohm. He has gone 7-5, 12-2, 11-3, and 8-4 over the past 4 years and lost 2 conference games the past 3 years. He is one of the names thrown out for the Houston coaching search.

Tyson Helton is the current coach at WKU and Brohm's former OC. He is 46. He has won 9 games a few times and has a conference record of 28-11.

Jeff Traylor is kind of similar. He coaches UTSA, which is also in Conference USA. He is a few years older than Brohm. He has gone 7-5, 12-2, 11-3, and 8-4 over the past 4 years and lost 2 conference games the past 3 years. He is one of the names thrown out for the Houston coaching search.

Tyson Helton is the current coach at WKU and Brohm's former OC. He is 46. He has won 9 games a few times and has a conference record of 28-11.
Traylor is my #1. I doubt he gets a call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT