ADVERTISEMENT

Silicon Valley Bank has failed

Someone else mentioned it and I replied with a valid concern. Did you read the bio or just spout off. And why does it bother you? And why are you so snippy?

I realize what you are saying that financial institutions have failed before, but JDB pointed out the obvious and the person in charge of Risk Management looks unqualified! Before I posted I went to Jay Ersapah LinkedIn page and it has an error message. Then theres this...

https://meaww.com/jay-ersapah-silic...ef-slammed-for-lgbtq-efforts-amid-bank-crisis

If I was a depositor I would be PISSED
Is she even the head of RM though? All I could find was her being the head of a region RM. I’m not saying she did a good job or anything, because I don’t know. But how do we know it was her region to cause this vs another?

Point being we always look for the easy target or flavor of the day. Both left and right on this board do it.

You do realize these banks have multiple levels of leadership, internal and external auditors, risk advisory services, and undergo financial exams. This is a failure on multiple levels beyond one woke hiring.
We’ve allowed ESG considerations to take up way too much oxygen all over government, business and education. True, this failure probably involves multiple kinds of failure, but those failures are mostly a necessary part of operations. ESG considerations are all irrelevant and any role it played was a fundamental mistake.

Reactions: DANC and Indianaftw
Not trying to start anything with you BCC :). Just pointing out what I read...

From the article...The Board of Directors is filled with diverse hires who are there because of their woke credentials. They all have pronouns in their bios, which are filled with corporate newspeak.

This new culture that is place is not a good idea IMO and if the people in charge at this bank were not qualified what makes that right? I don't know if they are or not but diversity over qualified at a bank????

Would you hire someone based on diversity OR who is qualified?
If it were a true dichotomy, qualified.

But in the real world, the question would be diverse or not between two qualified candidates.

"Just who was in charge of this place? The CFO was Joseph Gentile. He was the CFO of Lehman Brothers when they failed."

Seems like a stretch. CAO is running day to day shit but isn’t responsible for risk mgmt or asset/liability matching (at least not usually). Not only that, this was NOT the CFO for Lehman. He was CFO for a specific division. There’s a difference.

SVB’s failure falls on the CFO and Risk Mgmt for their failures related to ALM.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Would you hire someone based on diversity OR who is qualified?
If you can only do one then qualified. However in this day and age any employer can easily check both boxes and should. Having people with different perspectives and backgrounds is incredibly beneficial to any corporation. But yes, everyone has to be qualified.

If it were a true dichotomy, qualified.

But in the real world, the question would be diverse or not between two qualified candidates.
I've hired "Diverse People" as long as I can remember. BUT not "because" of who they were, they were qualified.

Anyhow, reading and seeing all kinds of crap about tomorrow and moving forward. Also, logged in and checked my bank account first thing this morning. just because :)

Having people with different perspectives and backgrounds is incredibly beneficial to any corporation.
I don’t agree. If the corporation is Space X, and you are designing a new rocket engine, I fail to see how woke diversity on the design team benefits the project. The skills needed have nothing to do with how you identify yourself

If you can only do one then qualified. However in this day and age any employer can easily check both boxes and should. Having people with different perspectives and backgrounds is incredibly beneficial to any corporation. But yes, everyone has to be qualified.

depends on the diversity. zero chance i'd hire this guy. qualified or not
54287787-10520757-The_Biden_administration_has_hired_the_first_non_binary_person_t-m-4_1645101026699.jpg

I don’t agree. If the corporation is Space X, and you are designing a new rocket engine, I fail to see how woke diversity on the design team benefits the project. The skills needed have nothing to do with how you identify yourself
yeah definitely depends on the field

Ok. If the qualified box is already checked then tell me how the diversity box hurts then?

yeah definitely depends on the field
If your goal is to only have a company of worker drones. Then yes. But trust me having diversity around the office is never bad in any field. Creativety comes from life experiences.

Have to be qualified first of course.

Yeah, those nails don’t do it for me either. That occasion and dress definitely calls for a $500 manicure.
If your goal is to only have a company of worker drones. Then yes. But trust me having diversity around the office is never bad in any field. Creativety comes from life experiences.

Why do I need to trust you. I’ve worked in nonprofits, gov agencies, corporations, sports offices, and law firms. It does depend on the field. Space x needs stable mean nerds. Not diversity. United way. Schools. Law firms. Different stories

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Ok. If the qualified box is already checked then tell me how the diversity box hurts then?
Because if it’s important enough to even have a box, somebody thinks it is Important and entitled to preference points.

That’s why the White House diversity statement is such a problem.

Why do I need to trust you. I’ve worked in nonprofits, corporations, sports offices, and law firms. It does depend on the field. Space x needs stable mean nerds. Not diversity. United way. Schools. Law firms. Different stories
Can we just go back to this? :)

Fq-GsFEWwAADvSF

Reactions: Cthulhu85
Why do I need to trust you. I’ve worked in nonprofits, corporations, sports offices, and law firms. It does depend on the field. Space x needs stable mean nerds. Not diversity. United way. Schools. Law firms. Different stories
I can conceive of employers and jobs where identities are legitimate BFOQ’s but not many. My stoker taught Jr High in an extremely diverse school, she faught the fight about ethnic matching most of her career. It was insulting.

I mentioned before about my partner being the first named female partner in our town’s largest firms. If I hinted to her she got there because we wanted to achieve community recognition for diversity, I would have been looking for a new partner and maybe a new set of teeth. The point for me is people checking a box deserve my respect for their ability, not because of how they present themselves. I think the fall out of our current DEI efforts is belittling people’s legitimate accomplishments and abilities.

I don’t for a minute condone discriminatory hiring. That’s why I dislike DEI efforts and so support more and better education, diverse housing, etc. The best way to achieve diversity is to not make diversity so important or conspicuous.

Why do I need to trust you. I’ve worked in nonprofits, gov agencies, corporations, sports offices, and law firms. It does depend on the field. Space x needs stable mean nerds. Not diversity. United way. Schools. Law firms. Different stories
Figure of speech. You guys are getting hung up on the second box even though I've said multiple times that being qualified is the first and most important box. Even space X needs a creative stable of nerds. Otherwise they'd just be recreating rockets from 50 years ago. Creativity comes from lifes experiences. Having a group of geniuses who all come from different backgrounds is a good thing... trust me.

I don’t think we disagree here. But I don’t think institutional diversity or wokeness is so easily classified.. The causes the person supports and will advocate for from inside the institution is part of the mix. This seemingly trumps competency and is important for ESG scores. We see this in government and is part the reason for government incompetence.

it really does depend on the field. i've spent considerable time in the nonprofit world and those experiences that aren't shared and are important are only available via diversity. diversity in that world, for most ventures, is a must. it's as essential as an accountant. in other areas it's just a smart benefit. a black lawyer at your table for a city trial is only smart
I can conceive of employers and jobs where identities are legitimate BFOQ’s but not many. My stoker taught Jr High in an extremely diverse school, she faught the fight about ethnic matching most of her career. It was insulting.

I mentioned before about my partner being the first named female partner in our town’s largest firms. If I hinted to her she got there because we wanted to achieve community recognition for diversity, I would have been looking for a new partner and maybe a new set of teeth. The point for me is people checking a box deserve my respect for their ability, not because of how they present themselves. I think the fall out of our current DEI efforts is belittling people’s legitimate accomplishments and abilities.

I don’t for a minute condone discriminatory hiring. That’s why I dislike DEI efforts and so support more and better education, diverse housing, etc. The best way to achieve diversity is to not make diversity so important or conspicuous.

Figure of speech. You guys are getting hung up on the second box even though I've said multiple times that being qualified is the first and most important box. Even space X needs a creative stable of nerds. Otherwise they'd just be recreating rockets from 50 years ago. Creativity comes from lifes experiences. Having a group of geniuses who all come from different backgrounds is a good thing... trust me.
i don't like how you keep adding "trust me." i've told you before i've worked in every sector - for years. i don't need to trust "mrhighlife" for anything. trust me....

Also helps inspire future generations. If kids from certain backgrounds see people from there same backgrounds excel in certain fields they will in turn be inspired to possibly try and excel in that field too someday. That's the idea at least.

But again. People have to be qualified first.

Actually now you can get Cash Management accounts.... for example Fidelity offers a CMA, operates just like a checking account, but they split your funds up across 5 different FDIC insured banks, so with one account you've got $1.25m in coverage.
And some of them pay quite well ... between 4 and 5% I believe.

I'm not going to be one of thos guys who works up until they drop over.
Good for you. I see people hanging on for years just because they'll get a little more money per month if they stay a year longer. Some never figure out what they are actually getting paid because if their company offers a pension and you are qualified to receive it you are actually working for the difference between your pension and your salary. There was a lady where I worked that had 61 years in when she retired. One of the formulas for calculating your pension was # of years times 1.1 or 1.2 equals the percent of your salary that you would receive so if it was 1.1 she would have received 60 times 1,1 or 66% of her salary if she had retired at 60 years. So that last year she was actually working for 34% of her salary because she could have gotten 66% of it staying home.

i don't like how you keep adding "trust me." i've told you before i've worked in every sector - for years. i don't need to trust "mrhighlife" for anything. trust me....
Trust me, I know what you mean, That's like going to a used car lot with a name like "Honest Abe's used cars". :) Now that makes me distrust them,

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I think the notion that more diversity brings more imagination and creativity is a stereotype without evidence,. A lot goes into human imagination. Space X has revolutionized every aspect of the space business, from technology, to economics, to operations. I don’t know how diverse the it is, our its ESG score. But that makes no difference. Space X is kicking ass and has been run by a female almost from the beginning.

I think the notion that more diversity brings more imagination and creativity is a stereotype without evidence,. A lot goes into human imagination. Space X has revolutionized every aspect of the space business, from technology, to economics, to operations. I don’t know how diverse the it is, our its ESG score. But that makes no difference. Space X is kicking ass and has been run by a female almost from the beginning.
the wokeees like stay at home pete ruined hiring even for the gays. if we're stereotyping and throwing pc out the window your top employee prospect was always the fastidious gay male who didn't prefer, but rather, required bespoke apparel. A man who appeared regularly on best-dressed lists and limited his real estate to a choice few zip codes. a man who never wanted kids, instead LOVING THAT DINK life. no leaving early for joey's soccer game. no needing friday and monday off for nationals at world wide sports. no sarah has an ear ache so i'm home today. just "i've accomplished all this and am going to need more money as brock and i are doing yet another renovation."

Also helps inspire future generations. If kids from certain backgrounds see people from there same backgrounds excel in certain fields they will in turn be inspired to possibly try and excel in that field too someday. That's the idea at least.

But again. People have to be qualified first.
That’s the theory. It only works for sports. 😊

Qualified doesn’t represent skill. Even if two candidates are qualified, some organizations are hiring lower skilled candidates because they check diversity boxes. It’s equivalent to admissions drama where Asians are being discriminated against by elite schools in favor of more African American representation.

Qualified doesn’t represent skill. Even if two candidates are qualified, some organizations are hiring lower skilled candidates because they check diversity boxes. It’s equivalent to admissions drama where Asians are being discriminated against by elite schools in favor of more African American representation.
That's forced diversity. I'm not in favor of that at all. Never even suggested I was. Nor has anyone here I dont believe. Its actually a disservice to those who've been historically underrepresented.

I agree qualified doesnt equal skill. Thinking it does probably negatively effects minorities more.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
the wokeees like stay at home pete ruined hiring even for the gays. if we're stereotyping and throwing pc out the window your top employee prospect was always the fastidious gay male who didn't prefer, but rather, required bespoke apparel. A man who appeared regularly on best-dressed lists and limited his real estate to a choice few zip codes. a man who never wanted kids, instead LOVING THAT DINK life. no leaving early for joey's soccer game. no needing friday and monday off for nationals at world wide sports. no sarah has an ear ache so i'm home today. just "i've accomplished all this and am going to need more money as brock and i are doing yet another renovation."
You nailed the stereotype. Wishful thinking?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I don’t think we disagree here. But I don’t think institutional diversity or wokeness is so easily classified.. The causes the person supports and will advocate for from inside the institution is part of the mix. This seemingly trumps competency and is important for ESG scores. We see this in government and is part the reason for government incompetence.
Diversity is not the problem or even a problem at all. Its actually quite good.

Forced diversity is a problem and not good for business. It's a disservice to the communities is supposed to be helping and it can negatively effect the moral of your employees.

Diversity is not the problem or even a problem at all. Its actually quite good.

Forced diversity is a problem and not good for business. It's a disservice to the communities is supposed to be helping and it can negatively effect the moral of your employees.

We agree!

God damn, shut the board Down now for the rest of the night! Let’s rejoice in uniformity and bourbon

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Tomorrow will be a bloodbath.

Not so fast my friend

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT