ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question

kfouts

Recruit
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2006
Basketball experts. I’m not an expert, but I like statistics. Why do we average 14 fewer shots per game (5 fewer 2s and 9 fewer 3s) than our opponents after 26 games? In looking for a source, I note we average about 2.5 fewer offensive rebounds and 1.5 more turnovers than our opponents, so that might explain 4 of the extra shots. We take 2 more free throws than our opponents, so that maybe explains another shot, assuming we got fouled and there was no shot as a result. (Though because of our crap free throw percentage, we score about .2 points per game less than our opponents on free throws). But after all that is factored, we’re still taking 9 fewer shots per game. The teams alternate possessions, so once you factor out offensive rebounds, turnovers, and fouls, where are these shots coming from? Is this due to our offensive system?

For what it’s worth, considering our opponent’s shot distribution between 2s and 3s, and their shooting percentage on each, you can put a point value on the opponent’s extra shots. Overall the 14 extra shots amount to 13.37 more points per game for our opponents. That’s a lot to spot a team out of the gate if you expect to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News