ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting priorities... plan of attack...

I hope I am wrong and would love to have Stevens as the coach here but I just don't see that happening any time soon. I think we as fans hold IU in more prestige than what others see us and we just can't believe people would actually not want to coach here but coaches have not been knocking down the doors the last few times we had openings.
with that loser's attitude, it will become a self fullfilling prophecy. See Alabama or USC football - they were where IU is now. Ditto for UK before breaking the bank - they were smart enough to cut bait IMMEDIATELY with Billy Gillespie and paid through the nose for Calipari. It can be done and rather easily - IU just has an incompetent administration that would rather pay 800k to duck the powerhouse S. Fla and give 5 year contract extensions for complete mediocrity than make the right & tough decision

with that loser's attitude, it will become a self fullfilling prophecy. See Alabama or USC football - they were where IU is now. Ditto for UK before breaking the bank - they were smart enough to cut bait IMMEDIATELY with Billy Gillespie and paid through the nose for Calipari. It can be done and rather easily - IU just has an incompetent administration that would rather pay 800k to duck the powerhouse S. Fla and give 5 year contract extensions for complete mediocrity than make the right & tough decision
I am not saying that we should not go after him and offer him the bank but what I am saying is that I don't think if offered that Stevens would leave Boston. Actually I would rather have Marshall anyway and I would offer him the same money but I don't think he would leave either.

I am not saying that we should not go after him and offer him the bank but what I am saying is that I don't think if offered that Stevens would leave Boston. Actually I would rather have Marshall anyway and I would offer him the same money but I don't think he would leave either.
the difference between you/Glass & myself is that I would find out the answer

the difference between you/Glass & myself is that I would find out the answer
So what would you do to get Stevens if he said no and he is not interested in the job. would you kidnap his kids and hold them for ransom until he took the job. Please explain to me how the IU job is better than the Boston Celtics because their tradition is a lot greater than ours. Also to me coaching in the NBA is easier and you actually have an off season where you can relax for at least a month or two where college coaches are out on the road in the off season recruiting.

Being an IU fan, I would love nothing more than Stevens at IU. However, there are two things and the first one is huge. The IU admin does not care if IU is king of college hoops or 5th in the BIG. They have proven this time after time since the hiring Mike Davis. The second thing IMO, is that the Stevens love fest for IU is overblown. Sure us IU fans on a message board love IU, but we are talking about the head coach of the Boston Celtics here, not Boston U.

Acknowledged. That said, to Catfish Crazy, ibuildfurnaces and #Bentley,

Catfish Crazy, above, seems to imply that the IU administration is in place to determine the station of Indiana basketball in relation to other programs. I agree that intercollegiate athletics is one of the pieces in the puzzle in establishing a world-renowned university. That said, I don't think the university exists for athletic purposes in and of themselves. While I love IU football and basketball (and have season tickets to both), I think music and arts and business and medicine and law and other academic endeavors trump sports.

What say the three of you? Just curious...

Thanks!

Reactions: Big Red Believer

Catfish Crazy, above, seems to imply that the IU administration is in place to determine the station of Indiana basketball in relation to other programs. I agree that intercollegiate athletics is one of the pieces in the puzzle in establishing a world-renowned university. That said, I don't think the university exists for athletic purposes in and of themselves. While I love IU football and basketball (and have season tickets to both), I think music and arts and business and medicine and law and other academic endeavors trump sports.

Thanks!
I would say that for the majority of the fans on this board we care more about how the sports teams are doing instead of how each educational department are doing. You don't see 70,000 coming to watch medical students doing expirements but you see that many people going to the final four or you have over 100,000 people attending college football games.

Thanks!
Why cant you do both? Stanford, Duke, ND, Michigan, UCLA are all better educational institutions and athletic programs.

I would love Stevens as well. However, when you say "IU admin does not care if IU is king of college hoops or 5th in the BIG"...is that bad?

I have season tickets to basketball and football and that is my passion...but, deep down, I want Indiana to be committed to business and law and medicine and music and the arts and sciences any day over sports.

Does anyone disagree with that? Comments welcomed....

Why can't we have both?

Reactions: Ibuildfurnaces
I would say that for the majority of the fans on this board we care more about how the sports teams are doing instead of how each educational department are doing. You don't see 70,000 coming to watch medical students doing expirements but you see that many people going to the final four or you have over 100,000 people attending college football games.

We care about sports and go down there every weekend for same. That said, if my girls get out of there with medical and law degrees and are successful as a result, I will trade that for Indiana finishing 14th in the Big 10 in every sport for the next 20 years and not think twice about it.

We care about sports and go down there every weekend for same. That said, if my girls get out of there with medical and law degrees and are successful as a result, I will trade that for Indiana finishing 14th in the Big 10 in every sport for the next 20 years and not think twice about it.
I would to and IU is one of the colleges my daughter is looking at but most on here are fans of the sports program and the academics.

Why cant you do both? Stanford, Duke, ND, Michigan, UCLA are all better educational institutions and athletic programs.
ditto.

this idea that its one or the other is complete NONSENSE. Stanford wins the Capital Cup about every year. It is beyond embarrassing how bad IU is in football yet Northwestern with terrible facilities, higher academic admittance, terrible fan support, poor $$$$ support is much better at football. Northwestern should NEVER beat IU in basketball. NEVER. It all lies on the AD and administration. They are the ones hiring and handing out contract extensions like holloween candy

Reactions: TheLaffy
ditto.

this idea that its one or the other is complete NONSENSE. Stanford wins the Capital Cup about every year. It is beyond embarrassing how bad IU is in football yet Northwestern with terrible facilities, higher academic admittance, terrible fan support, poor $$$$ support is much better at football. Northwestern should NEVER beat IU in basketball. NEVER. It all lies on the AD and administration. They are the ones hiring and handing out contract extensions like holloween candy

We are all with ya'! Do something about it!!! Tell us your plan and talk us on board!

1. Fire Glass and permanently ban him from the IU Bloomington Campus
2. Fire Crean after the season
3. Fire Wilson if he doesn't win at least 7 games this year.
4. Hire Brad Stevens at 8mil/year
5. Hire Charlie Strong after TX cans him this season.

I like all that but if we cant get Stevens we go with Marshall, Archie Miller and maybe Billy Donovan if he doesn't enjoy the NBA work schedule.....which is much worse than College.

I like all that but if we cant get Stevens we go with Marshall, Archie Miller and maybe Billy Donovan if he doesn't enjoy the NBA work schedule.....which is much worse than College.

don't tell Scott that - he thinks NBA coaches work less than college coaches LMFAO.

1. Fire Glass and permanently ban him from the IU Bloomington Campus
2. Fire Crean after the season
3. Fire Wilson if he doesn't win at least 7 games this year.
4. Hire Brad Stevens at 8mil/year
5. Hire Charlie Strong after TX cans him this season.

Solid plan. What are you going to do personally to get the wheels in motion?

I'm for sure on board, but I would settle for Phil Jackson and Jon Gruden in the event that Stevens and Strong aren't available (just saying that cause it will be hard to pry Strong loose from that 6-8 record at Texas and Stevens' 65-99 record in Boston).

I would to and IU is one of the colleges my daughter is looking at but most on here are fans of the sports program and the academics.
don't tell Scott that - he thinks NBA coaches work less than college coaches LMFAO.
I don't know how the NBA schedule is tougher on the coaches. No way a college coach can take the summer vacations that the NBA coaches do because they are on the road recruiting most of the summer and running summer camps as well. Even during the season the college coach is out recruiting on off days and not being able to be with their families. During the NBA season they might be on the road for 10 days but they also have home stands that are 10 days as well.

I think the arrogance of our fan base gets out of hand a little bit because people just think because we are IU then any coach will jump at the chance to coach here. It is not like Stevens is at Sacramento where yes he would leave and come here but he is with he Boston Celtics one of the most storied franchises in pro sports history. The Celtics has a richer tradition than we have so what makes you think he would leave Boston for IU.
\Scott - do u realize the Celtics haven't met crap since Bird retired? They are, at best, the third favorite sport franchise IN THEIR OWN TOWN. The Bruins rule, then Redsox, hell, the Patriots are more popular than the Celtics. This isn't 1966 with Bill Russell. Besides, professional franchises are just that - no alumni, just civic popularity. IU basketball IS the state of Indiana - or at least it should be. It is synonymous with the sport. The Celtics??? Meh - just a pro sport in an age of free agency that basically sucks. Stevens took a huge pay raise and got a big challenge with little downside - if he fails after 3 years, no big deal.

lol...Pro sports coaches most of the time get out because of the work load.
Football coaches do because they think they have to spend 20 hours a day at the their complex but they really don't have to put that much work in. In the NBA after summer ball they are off a lot of the time until training camp starts in September. they still go in and watch tape and get ready for the next season but they are home every day.

\Scott - do u realize the Celtics haven't met crap since Bird retired? They are, at best, the third favorite sport franchise IN THEIR OWN TOWN. The Bruins rule, then Redsox, hell, the Patriots are more popular than the Celtics. This isn't 1966 with Bill Russell. Besides, professional franchises are just that - no alumni, just civic popularity. IU basketball IS the state of Indiana - or at least it should be. It is synonymous with the sport. The Celtics??? Meh - just a pro sport in an age of free agency that basically sucks. Stevens took a huge pay raise and got a big challenge with little downside - if he fails after 3 years, no big deal.
You do realize that they won the championship a few years back with Allen, Garnett and Pierce don't you. Again what does IU have that would entice Stevens to leave Boston. I think you are looking at Iu through your rose colored glasses and can't see the reality what IU basketball is thought of nationally.

I don't know how the NBA schedule is tougher on the coaches. No way a college coach can take the summer vacations that the NBA coaches do because they are on the road recruiting most of the summer and running summer camps as well. Even during the season the college coach is out recruiting on off days and not being able to be with their families. During the NBA season they might be on the road for 10 days but they also have home stands that are 10 days as well.

802b60f66bb914d0597ea61ac5291a9a.gif

You do realize that they won the championship a few years back with Allen, Garnett and Pierce don't you. Again what does IU have that would entice Stevens to leave Boston. I think you are looking at Iu through your rose colored glasses and can't see the reality what IU basketball is thought of nationally.

they bought a championship with 2 other guys that were rent-able. again, the Celtics aren't even that popular in their own town. seriously, I watch/bet/follow a ton of NBA, it is obvious you do not.

so tell me how the NBA schedule is tougher, yes they play a lot more games but they practice a lot less and they have extended home stands where they are home. Even on off days college coaches are hopping in their planes to go recruit and if they don't they feel like they are behind their competition because all the coaches on the road.

those guys work 12-15 hour days....

Football coaches do because they think they have to spend 20 hours a day at the their complex but they really don't have to put that much work in. In the NBA after summer ball they are off a lot of the time until training camp starts in September. they still go in and watch tape and get ready for the next season but they are home every day.

82 games versus 30. ok. if you think college coaches work more than pro, I cannot help you.

they bought a championship with 2 other guys that were rent-able. again, the Celtics aren't even that popular in their own town. serious, I watch/bet/follow a ton of NBA, it is obvious you do not.
Whatever, the Boston Celtics is still one of the storied franchises in sports. If you go on your logic why would any coach want to come to IU because they have not won anything since 1987 and most of their success is because of RMK. Boston has won at least 2 or 3 championships since IU so what would entice Stevens to leave.

Barf.

Solid plan. What are you going to do personally to get the wheels in motion?

I'm for sure on board, but I would settle for Phil Jackson and Jon Gruden in the event that Stevens and Strong aren't available (just saying that cause it will be hard to pry Strong loose from that 6-8 record at Texas and Stevens' 65-99 record in Boston).

Phil Jackson is one of the most over-rated coaches of all time. And he's sure proven he can't put a team together.

so tell me how the NBA schedule is tougher, yes they play a lot more games but they practice a lot less and they have extended home stands where they are home. Even on off days college coaches are hopping in their planes to go recruit and if they don't they feel like they are behind their competition because all the coaches on the road.

outside of Maui and at Nebraska, Crean won't cross the Mississippi River. IU's travel is a joke compared any NBA team - especially the coastal ones. Go ask Frank Vogel how much he works.

college coaches work a lot more than just the 30 games and they are on the road all summer recruiting where the NBA coaches can take vacations with their families,
this is getting comical. I don't doubt Crean works hard because he is maniacal and his butt is on the line. Now please share with me all these wonderful NBA coaches' vacations. This is too funny. There's a reason pro coaches are paid 5x or more than college coaches - and it ain't so they can take more vacations

outside of Maui and at Nebraska, Crean won't cross the Mississippi River. IU's travel is a joke compared any NBA team - especially the coastal ones. Go ask Frank Vogel how much he works.
Ok say that the NBA coaches work longer but besides that what does IU offer him that would entice him to leave Boston. this is not the 1976 IU program he would be walking into and it has been almost 30 years since our last championship. Maybe it is time for some of you to come to reality and realize that the IU job s not what it use to be and coaches will not just drop every thing to come here and coach.

this is getting comical. I don't doubt Crean works hard because he is maniacal and his butt is on the line. Now please share with me all these wonderful NBA coaches' vacations. This is too funny. There's a reason pro coaches are paid 5x or more than college coaches - and it ain't so they can take more vacations
I have before and their was an article in the Indy star how Frank Vogel and his family has taken two trips to the Caribean this summer.

Ok say that the NBA coaches work longer but besides that what does IU offer him that would entice him to leave Boston. this is not the 1976 IU program he would be walking into and it has been almost 30 years since our last championship. Maybe it is time for some of you to come to reality and realize that the IU job s not what it use to be and coaches will not just drop every thing to come here and coach.
Home state, for one, less hours, College vs NBA and a job that he could stay with his entire career.

Scott.....Pro coaches work much more than college.

College coaches are only allowed to go out and recruit certain times of the year.

I guess Scott thinks since Crean texts recruits every day that's considered "more work." LOL!!

still a top 5 job - CBS just had a ranking. and that is without the winning. IU is a sleeping giant and coaches know that

Reactions: TheLaffy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT