ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is gonna win the whole thing….

Doesn't Clingan just play around 20 minutes/game? Wonder if they'll use him differently against Edey. Hopefully he doesn't start with 2 fouls.

I'm much more apathetic about this game and PU's chance to win than I thought I was. I don't know if it's from watching IU's team the past 7 or 8 years or just losing interest in college bball in general. If I didn't live in Indiana and had to see and hear from obnoxious PU fans I probably wouldn't care all that much at all.

Alabama was 11-23 from 3 last night and lost by 14. They came in averaging 90 points a game and scored 72. Bama is one of the highest adjusted tempo teams in the country and didn’t score a single point in transition last night. Purdue may be a team of destiny or whatever that means but UConn is playing on a different level than anybody else and has their last 11 tournament games. UConn is relentless on both ends and Clingan is the best defensive big in the country and it’s not particularly close. They need a Herculean effort out of their role players if they want to win and if Braden Smith plays like he did against NC State they could lose by 20. I think Edey needs to have a 30 and 15 game if the Boilers want to keep it within single digits. UConn truly is the one team this year that is a terrible matchup for Purdue.
Alabama made 19 threes when they played Purdue in Canada! That's 24 more points from three than Alabama scored last night against UCONN, and yet Purdue still won!

UConn is the better team. As long as the refs don't put UConn's big man on the bench, they'll beat PU 8-9 out of 10, and I think they'll beat them Monday.
Clingan is hard to put on the bench by opposing teams. They only play him in 6-7 min stretches. They have a deep bench. If Purdue plays straight up with UConn it will be a double digit loss. Guards win in April and UConns guards are superior to Purdue. UConn didn’t look great most of the game and they still scored 86. Went from ho hum to holy crap in 2 minutes. They work you to death in the half court. I might be a Purdue hater but I can’t see them hanging the whole game with guards who can guard like that. If you go back and look at how UConn lost this year. The game against KU was without Castle and a hobbled Clingan. The seton hall game was the anomaly but they won the NIT. At Creighton, Creighton was hot from 3. They hit 14 of 28 and UConn couldn’t hit. I’d argue that Purdue is a better matchup for UConn than UConn is for Purdue.

Reactions: kkott
If UConn hits any sort of normal percentage of their shots, they should win. Purdues defense is going to give them good looks all night long.

Only way I see PU winning is UConn is abnormally cold, like NC State was, AND PU hits a lot of tough shots. I don’t even think it matters a ton of Clingan gets in foul trouble. Their other couple bigs are very capable too.

It’s certainly possible Purdue could win. But it seems unlikely.
I don't think their other bigs have the bulk to match up well with Edey. Haven't seen enough of them to know, but my guess is if Clingan were to get in foul trouble, then that signals how the game will be called and they will too and Edey/PU would have another huge edge at the FT line which would give them a good chance. I just think Clingan is going to make it much more difficult for Edey to score, and PU will struggle if Edey does.

How much? I''l take UCONN and 12.

Defending national champs are going to panic? Sure. Like they did today when Bama hit 8-11 threes? Or when Bama came back from 9 down, to tie the game? Or how UCONN panicked when Bama again answered an 8-0 UCONN run, to tie the game with 11 minutes left?

There was nobody for TENN that could contain Edey----yet that was a 6 point game. A game in which Ziegler for TENN probably had his worst game all year: 3-12 from the floor, 1-8 from 3, and 1-5 from the line. Not to mention Aidoo going scoreless.

C'mon dude. PU struggled mightly with NCSU guards----and well, NCSU guards are not UCONN's guards.

Clinigan is much, much better than what you are giving credit....Kid can play. And hes a big dude: 7'2", 280lbs. Very athletic...long as ****...can run the floor.

Did you see how many ball screens UCONN puts people in----with multiple players? Hurley can coach----and he's gonna do something no one has done----make Edey defend.

Can PU win? Absolutely. To say they are gonna run UCONN off the floor is laughable. After all,an Illinois team that PU struggled to beat----UCONN put a 30-0 run on those dudes.

Like I said, I'll glady take UCONN and the 12 points.
$100 toward the FireMikeWoodson.com buyout campaign. Sound good? Purdue wins, you pay. UCONN wins, I pay.

The money, either way goes to a great cause.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I don't think their other bigs have the bulk to match up well with Edey. Haven't seen enough of them to know, but my guess is if Clingan were to get in foul trouble, then that signals how the game will be called and they will too and Edey/PU would have another huge edge at the FT line which would give them a good chance. I just think Clingan is going to make it much more difficult for Edey to score, and PU will struggle if Edey does.
Clingan doesn’t play as much as a normal “star” does. They have very athletic bigs that can put up a fair bit of resistance. Clingan is gonna play mid 20s in minutes foul trouble or not, in all likelihood.

If UConns guard/wings shoot average or better, they’ll win. If they don’t, Purdue can beat them if they play well.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
$100 toward the FireMikeWoodson.com buyout campaign. Sound good? Purdue wins, you pay. UCONN wins, I pay.

WHoa, wait....You said PU runs them off the floor. 12 points. Now just straight up?

Naaaah. I think PU could win. However I do not think they win by 12+.

Clingan is faster than Edey so if I was Uconn I would try to get Clingan going with early offense. Now PU should focus on getting Clingan into foul trouble so Edey can have his way in the lane.

Alabama was 11-23 from 3 last night and lost by 14. They came in averaging 90 points a game and scored 72. Bama is one of the highest adjusted tempo teams in the country and didn’t score a single point in transition last night. Purdue may be a team of destiny or whatever that means but UConn is playing on a different level than anybody else and has their last 11 tournament games. UConn is relentless on both ends and Clingan is the best defensive big in the country and it’s not particularly close. They need a Herculean effort out of their role players if they want to win and if Braden Smith plays like he did against NC State they could lose by 20. I think Edey needs to have a 30 and 15 game if the Boilers want to keep it within single digits. UConn truly is the one team this year that is a terrible matchup for Purdue.
Everyone knows that Purdue lost to the likes of North Texas, St Peter’s and FDU. How many know when they lost their last game to a major university not in the Big Ten? It was 12/08/20 and their opponent was Miami and they lost 58-54. Zach Edey was a freshman. Since then they have played 21 games against majors not in the Big Ten. They have beaten Notre Dame, North Carolina, Villanova, FSU twice, NC State twice, Butler, Marquette twice, Texas, West Virginia, Gonzaga three times, Duke, Xavier, Tennessee twice, Alabama and Arizona.

Everyone knows that Purdue lost to the likes of North Texas, St Peter’s and FDU. How many know when they lost their last game to a major university not in the Big Ten? It was 12/08/20 and their opponent was Miami and they lost 58-54. Zach Edey was a freshman. Since then they have played 21 games against majors not in the Big Ten. They have beaten Notre Dame, North Carolina, Villanova, FSU twice, NC State twice, Butler, Marquette twice, Texas, West Virginia, Gonzaga three times, Duke, Xavier, Tennessee twice, Alabama and Arizona.
Wonderful news and completely irrelevant to tomorrow’s game. I fail to see what any of those names have to do with this years version of the 23-24 UCONN Huskies? Of the common opponents Purdue and UConn share, UCONN has won in fantastically more dominating fashion.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Wonderful news and completely irrelevant to tomorrow’s game. I fail to see what any of those names have to do with this years version of the 23-24 UCONN Huskies? Of the common opponents Purdue and UConn share, UCONN has won in fantastically more dominating fashion.
You’ll have to forgive him.
He was dropped on his head 92 years ago at birth and pulls out random stuff that has absolutely no meaning in the context of the thread.

No buyout campaign will be required if and when MW is fired. The buyout is barely a line item in the budget and paid by private funds. This is no Miller or Allen situation where more than one phone call was required.

Purdue has an outstanding team and I really like their coach. BUT. They CANNOT win tonight. I'm a husky fan for a day. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Purdue has an outstanding team and I really like their coach. BUT. They CANNOT win tonight. I'm a husky fan for a day. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
I can't believe how many Boiler fans are showing up like in my FB feed and on SM... Fortunately if they lose tonight and Edey is gone, as I believe he will be, I think they'll crawl back into the shadows.

I can't believe how many Boiler fans are showing up like in my FB feed and on SM... Fortunately if they lose tonight and Edey is gone, as I believe he will be, I think they'll crawl back into the shadows.
I think if this was 2 years ago or next year they would win. Problem is it’s not. UConn to me is just too good.

I have UCONN by 13 in this game.
There is nobody on Purdue that will contain Clingan. The kid is a one-man wrecking crew.

UCONN is smarter and will play their game. Purdue going to panic once UCONN starts wearing them out.
Fantastic. Smart people tweak their system.

Just need a 30-0 run here fella, and you'll be spot on...
I knew I shouldn’t have listened to Cav’s betting advice!

He had me “all aboard” the Purdue hype train. And, then…..

chrome-capture-2022-11-20-1-1.gif

Having watched both teams, UCONN will need to play their absolute best game of the year to beat Purdue. Most say it’s the other way around. No chance they contain Eddy. None. He’s the best player in college basketball and will school the kid from UCONN like he’s done against each opposing big guy in the tourney. Purdue by double digits Monday night. That prediction even has Cav’s prediction “Seal of Approval.”
Money in the bank. Bet heavily on Purdue.
Don’t quit your day job.

Doesn't Clingan just play around 20 minutes/game? Wonder if they'll use him differently against Edey. Hopefully he doesn't start with 2 fouls.

I'm much more apathetic about this game and PU's chance to win than I thought I was. I don't know if it's from watching IU's team the past 7 or 8 years or just losing interest in college bball in general. If I didn't live in Indiana and had to see and hear from obnoxious PU fans I probably wouldn't care all that much at all.
Although Edey ended up with 37----it was a quiet, non-dominant 37. He had like 16 in the forst 13 minutes....then got a ton of garbage points late---when UCONN was content, conceded the bucket.

TBH, he was a non-factor, tbh....Without him, woof...

Reactions: IU73 and 76-1
I have UCONN by 13 in this game.
There is nobody on Purdue that will contain Clingan. The kid is a one-man wrecking crew.

UCONN is smarter and will play their game. Purdue going to panic once UCONN starts wearing them out.
Hell even with the edit---ya still got it wrong.

PU had no answer for UCONNs wings/guards---especially Newton. Newton with 20/8/6. Clinigan with a meh 11/5.

Hell even with the edit---ya still got it wrong.

PU had no answer for UCONNs wings/guards---especially Newton. Newton with 20/8/6. Clinigan with a meh 11/5.
That’s what Clingan does. He didn’t force anything and that was the intent. Notice it changed the way both teams played but UConn still scored. They crushed Purdue on the boards too. They work you like the old Wisconsin teams in the half court too. Late shot clock scoring. Ridiculously efficient.

Although Edey ended up with 37----it was a quiet, non-dominant 37. He had like 16 in the forst 13 minutes....then got a ton of garbage points late---when UCONN was content, conceded the bucket.

TBH, he was a non-factor, tbh....Without him, woof...
CMP rode him hard in these last few games and Edey ran out of gas halfway thru the game. The FT air ball was telling. Legs were gone.

That’s what Clingan does. He didn’t force anything and that was the intent. Notice it changed the way both teams played but UConn still scored. They crushed Purdue on the boards too. They work you like the old Wisconsin teams in the half court too. Late shot clock scoring. Ridiculously efficient.
TBH I felt Clinigan did a really nice job on Edey after the initial onslaught by Edey. He made him uncomfortable. Didn't try and block his shot---just pushed him out, and made him shoot over him. The pace and the physicality of the game, took its toll on Edey.

Like I said his 37 was a quiet 37. And about 10 or so came when the game was decided.

TBH I felt Clinigan did a really nice job on Edey after the initial onslaught by Edey. He made him uncomfortable. Didn't try and block his shot---just pushed him out, and made him shoot over him. The pace and the physicality of the game, took its toll on Edey.

Like I said his 37 was a quiet 37. And about 10 or so came when the game was decided.
The plan all along was to let him eat while making him work. They knew.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Edey still likely drafted top second round. If they can find a better way to pay NIL he will likely make as much coming back as going to NBA.

r Top of the second round got ~$5M guaranteed last year.
The rookie minimum salary for 2nd round picks, or undrafted players is $1,119,563 (for the 2023/2024 season).

This is based on the “Minimum Annual Salary Scale” found in the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

Note that this amount is for players signed to standard NBA contracts (i.e. full-time players). It is not for Two Way players, or players on 10-day contracts.

Two Way players get 50% of the minimum, and 10-day contract players get a pro-rated amount of the minimum salary.

That game really hurt Edey’s draft stock. How is he going to matchup against Jokic, Embiid, Sabonis, Adebayo, Wembanyama, etc?
I imagine that NBA scouts took note of those 2 consecutive lobs to the UConn backup center. NBA bigs and guards will wear him out with that. Yet he still has some value in limited minutes. Especially if he can develop some shooting range.

Reactions: cshartle123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT