ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue is gonna win the whole thing….

Everyone knows that Purdue lost to the likes of North Texas, St Peter’s and FDU. How many know when they lost their last game to a major university not in the Big Ten? It was 12/08/20 and their opponent was Miami and they lost 58-54. Zach Edey was a freshman. Since then they have played 21 games against majors not in the Big Ten. They have beaten Notre Dame, North Carolina, Villanova, FSU twice, NC State twice, Butler, Marquette twice, Texas, West Virginia, Gonzaga three times, Duke, Xavier, Tennessee twice, Alabama and Arizona.
congrats, you get to start a new streak!

Someone could tell him they intend to take him in the first or he could be drafted in second but they like him and sign him to a better contract but in lieu of that the money difference may not be that big.

The rookie minimum salary for 2nd round picks, or undrafted players is $1,119,563 (for the 2023/2024 season).

This is based on the “Minimum Annual Salary Scale” found in the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

Note that this amount is for players signed to standard NBA contracts (i.e. full-time players). It is not for Two Way players, or players on 10-day contracts.

Two Way players get 50% of the minimum, and 10-day contract players get a pro-rated amount of the minimum salary.
Guaranteed ~$5M

That game really hurt Edey’s draft stock. How is he going to matchup against Jokic, Embiid, Sabonis, Adebayo, Wembanyama, etc?
Not really, I don't think. I don't think a team is drafting Edey to be a starter or at least not a star. His ideal situation is a good team with a good starter who needs depth. Look at how far Edey has come; the kid has a work ethic. Barring injury, I think he'll be in the league 10 years, but I think he'll likely come off the bench for most of that time and likely during the first couple of years.

Not really, I don't think. I don't think a team is drafting Edey to be a starter or at least not a star. His ideal situation is a good team with a good starter who needs depth. Look at how far Edey has come; the kid has a work ethic. Barring injury, I think he'll be in the league 10 years, but I think he'll likely come off the bench for most of that time and likely during the first couple of years.
Yesterday he was projected as a lottery pick on ESPN. Do you think a team wants to pay that for not a star?

Guaranteed ~$5M
If they like him but

Second-round draft picks do not have the same guaranteed contracts as their first-round counterparts. Instead, they must negotiate their own deals, which can vary greatly in terms of salary, guarantees, and contract length. Here are some common salary structures for second-round picks:

Minimum Salary Contracts: Many second-round picks end up signing minimum salary contracts, which are non-guaranteed deals that pay the league’s minimum salary for a rookie. For the 2023-24 season, the minimum rookie salary is $1,119,563.

Partially Guaranteed Contracts: Some second-round picks may negotiate partially guaranteed contracts, where a portion of their salary (usually the first year or two) is guaranteed, while the remaining years are team options. These deals provide a bit more security than a minimum salary contract but still come with some risk.

Multi-Year Guaranteed Contracts: On rare occasions, a second-round pick may secure a multi-year, fully guaranteed contract. These deals are typically reserved for players who have significant leverage or are highly coveted by multiple teams.

Let’s look at some real-world examples of second-round contracts from recent drafts:

Emoni Bates, Cleveland Cavaliers (2023 #49 Overall Pick):

• 1-year, non-guaranteed, two-way contract worth $508,891

CMP rode him hard in these last few games and Edey ran out of gas halfway thru the game. The FT air ball was telling. Legs were gone.
The thing I was impressed with was just the intensity and how hard UConn plays at both ends. No breaks. They spread their offense and it moves from the perimeter, to inside, back to those little curls at the end of the shot clock that forced Edey to decide to commit or stay home. Love to see a shot chart for UConn, but they took a lot of mid range shots and made it work because they were efficient with it. They wear you down at both ends of the floor.

If I'm the rest of college bball, I'm waking up this morning and recognizing what UConn is building. Right now it looks to me like everyone else is playing catch up. Hurley wants the great NBA caliber players, but ones who are smart and will buy in for however long they are in college and want to compete for a college title. If I'm uncommitted or in the portal and a good player, that's where I'd want to play.

If they like him but

Second-round draft picks do not have the same guaranteed contracts as their first-round counterparts. Instead, they must negotiate their own deals, which can vary greatly in terms of salary, guarantees, and contract length. Here are some common salary structures for second-round picks:

Minimum Salary Contracts: Many second-round picks end up signing minimum salary contracts, which are non-guaranteed deals that pay the league’s minimum salary for a rookie. For the 2023-24 season, the minimum rookie salary is $1,119,563.

Partially Guaranteed Contracts: Some second-round picks may negotiate partially guaranteed contracts, where a portion of their salary (usually the first year or two) is guaranteed, while the remaining years are team options. These deals provide a bit more security than a minimum salary contract but still come with some risk.

Multi-Year Guaranteed Contracts: On rare occasions, a second-round pick may secure a multi-year, fully guaranteed contract. These deals are typically reserved for players who have significant leverage or are highly coveted by multiple teams.

Let’s look at some real-world examples of second-round contracts from recent drafts:

Emoni Bates, Cleveland Cavaliers (2023 #49 Overall Pick):

• 1-year, non-guaranteed, two-way contract worth $508,891
What is your point? Are you saying guaranteed money isn’t guaranteed?

If you are drafted in second round there is no guarantee in the nba collective bargaining agreement. It completely depends on. what you can negotiate as an individual with whatever team drafts you. Maybe they will offer a guarantee and maybe they won’t.

If you are drafted in second round there is no guarantee in the nba collective bargaining agreement. It completely depends on. what you can negotiate as an individual with whatever team drafts you. Maybe they will offer a guarantee and maybe they won’t.
I know that they are not obligated to offer guaranteed contracts, but can you name one high, second round pick in the last three drafts that did not receive a guaranteed contract? Or one that received less than $5M guaranteed?

He will have the opportunity to be drafted if he comes back so incremental is the first year salary of say $1mm vs NIL.

I know that they are not obligated to offer guaranteed contracts, but can you name one high, second round pick in the last three drafts that did not receive a guaranteed contract? Or one that received less than $5M guaranteed?
That’s a good question but give me some time to answer. If you have looked and know the answer then no reason for me to look.

It’s all academic because he probably will go to the draft but much better to be drafted in first round and have at least twice the guaranteed salary and two years min guaranteed by the bargaining agreement.

He has been remarkably injury free but if faced with $5mm guarantee vs coming back I declare so understand your point.

Yao Ming was listed at 310 but his feet broke down and so had a lot of injury time.

Last edited:
I imagine that Edey knows that there is nothing left for him to do at the college level. That’s why he announced that this is his last year. He gave his all for a title and fell short. He has some money and will keep making it as a pro. First round, second round - doesn’t matter. Who wouldn’t be ready to leave West Lafayette and enjoy new adventures in much more exciting places. Probably going to play for Canada in Paris this summer as well.

It’s all academic because he probably will go to the draft but much better to be drafted in first round and have at least twice the guaranteed salary and two years min guaranteed by the bargaining agreement.

He has been remarkably injury free but if faced with $5mm guarantee vs coming back I declare so understand your point.
You stated that Purdue may get NIL for him to return. Do you think they will have $5M to offer?

If he will be drafted second round this year and came back and was drafted first round next year then better money.

Then why did you bring it up!?
Because it’s not $5mm dollars he would be losing if he came back. If in. the 2nd round he would be losing $1mm minus NIL or vice versa. He would recover whatever guarantee there might have been in the 2025 draft. If HE thought he could improve his draft stock by playing another year then his guaranteed income could be much higher.

You guys understand this is the weakest draft class in 15-20 years. Edey should go on that alone. Hes worked himself up as far as he’s going to get. Late first round floor. It’s a huge accomplishment.

You guys understand this is the weakest draft class in 15-20 years. Edey should go on that alone. Hes worked himself up as far as he’s going to get. Late first round floor. It’s a huge accomplishment.
Nothing but respect for how hard he worked and hope he goes in the first.

Because it’s not $5mm dollars he would be losing if he came back. If in. the 2nd round he would be losing $1mm minus NIL or vice versa. He would recover whatever guarantee there might have been in the 2025 draft. If HE thought he could improve his draft stock by playing another year then his guaranteed income could be much higher.
I concede that I’m not capable of understanding your point.

I was saying that if he went back to Purdue then he would be drafted in 2025 and so the difference would be $1mm vs NIL.
I heard that since he is here on a student visa he cannot earn NIL. So that is probably a big part of why he won't come back. Until he's on a work visa with the NBA he can't earn money in the USA.

I heard that since he is here on a student visa he cannot earn NIL. So that is probably a big part of why he won't come back. Until he's on a work visa with the NBA he can't earn money in the USA.
Or he could go to Mexico, cross over the river as an illegal immigrant... and get all the money he wants.
(DID I SAY THAT???)

• Haha
Reactions: CriticArisen
Yeah, These non U.S. players have problems getting NIL payments.

I concede that I’m not capable of understanding your point.
Two scenarios 1) he gets drafted this year with 3 year guaranteed contract with auto raise of $300 k/yr and scenario 2) returns to school and gets the same contract next year. 2nd round rookie min salaries go up each year as in the bargaining agreement but just using $300k here.

1) Incoming money
2024 $1.2 mil
2025 $1.5mil
2026 $1.8mil (no second contract)
Total $4.5 mil

2) incoming money
2024 NIL $1 mm
2025 $1.5 mil (rookie min for that season)
2026 $1.8 mil
2027;$2.1 mil (no second contract)
Total $6.4 mil

It’s all hypothetical and not worth arguing about

Reactions: cshartle123
Two scenarios 1) he gets drafted this year with 3 year guaranteed contract with auto raise of $300 k/yr and scenario 2) returns to school and gets the same contract next year. 2nd round rookie min salaries go up each year as in the bargaining agreement but just using $300k here.

1) Incoming money
2024 $1.2 mil
2025 $1.5mil
2026 $1.8mil (no second contract)
Total $4.5 mil

2) incoming money
2024 NIL $1 mm
2025 $1.5 mil (rookie min for that season)
2026 $1.8 mil
2027;$2.1 mil (no second contract)
Total $6.4 mil

It’s all hypothetical and not worth arguing about
Thanks cs

I imagine that Edey knows that there is nothing left for him to do at the college level. That’s why he announced that this is his last year. He gave his all for a title and fell short. He has some money and will keep making it as a pro. First round, second round - doesn’t matter. Who wouldn’t be ready to leave West Lafayette and enjoy new adventures in much more exciting places. Probably going to play for Canada in Paris this summer as well.
I'm also still hearing from people that Edey's Canadian citizenship makes it difficult for him to get NIL or at least as much as he otherwise could.

https://frontofficesports.com/zach-edey-nil-law/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...ion-explained-purdue/97d0a1f701b8b6622349fe7a

I'm also still hearing from people that Edey's Canadian citizenship makes it difficult for him to get NIL or at least as much as he otherwise could.

https://frontofficesports.com/zach-edey-nil-law/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...ion-explained-purdue/97d0a1f701b8b6622349fe7a
I’m too tired to check into this, but I believe the issue is that is in the United States on the student visa. He cannot work in the United States. So he can’t get NIL money in the United States. But you can get it in Canada and he does. I’m pretty sure he makes just a fraction of what an American would.

I’m too tired to check into this, but I believe the issue is that is in the United States on the student visa. He cannot work in the United States. So he can’t get NIL money in the United States. But you can get it in Canada and he does. I’m pretty sure he makes just a fraction of what an American would.
That's what I understand, but I'm just saying there's no reason for him to stay in college for the NIL if he's not making what a 2X NPOY should, and also risk injury.

That's what I understand, but I'm just saying there's no reason for him to stay in college for the NIL if he's not making what a 2X NPOY should, and also risk injury.

I think most honest agents, PU fans, anybody would tell the kid to go pro. He has nothing to prove. Has there ever been a 3x POY?

I think most honest agents, PU fans, anybody would tell the kid to go pro. He has nothing to prove. Has there ever been a 3x POY?
And what could have changed his mind from his announcement one month ago that he was leaving? So finishing 2nd instead of first will make him change his mind? So he can come back and lose again? And not improve his draft stock? Makes zero sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT