ADVERTISEMENT

Playing devil’s advocate on Cignetti…

I turned 90 today so my view on the age is likely different than most of you. I did not think they would hire a 62-year-old, but I think he has the stuff so let us hold our judgements, get out of the way, and let him do it.
Happy Birthday!

My Dad (IU '48) almost made it to 98, and he would flat wear us all out in his nineties!

JMU has been an FCS powerhouse for years. Everybody who coaches there does well. The last coach only lost 2 games but has not fared very well at East Carolina. What makes Cignetti different?

(my take as a long suffering fan is…maybe nothing. It’s IU football, We make the best hire we can, roll the dice, and hopefully one of these times we catch lightning in a bottle. Lord knows we’re due).
Exactly. No guarantees when it comes to hiring coaches.

Still, the guy has a resume outside JMU and he's a winner at each place he's been. I like our chances with a guy like that.

We lost 4 games by less then 10 points last year. How can you not expect big things in year 1? If he gets 4 million in NIL, that's 4 times more than CTA ever had.
Where are you getting the 4 million NIL number?

and recruiting. you have connections that i trust are mostly w/ coaches throughout the carolinas, virginia, mid atlantic etc. and now he has to establish the midwest too. but all that is a guess

He's known as a good recruiter.

While at Bama, he was their recruiting coordinator, doing the same job at NC State.

Sure, he doesn't roots in the Midwest, but coaches talk, so someone like him I'm sure has lot of connections all over.

In IU terms, I think he'll recruit just fine.

Organizing the recruiting, rating the recruits, evaluating and organizing the portal players, understanding NIL, is what counts.

I see little that says Herman is better at that. He had all the resources in the world at Texas and got fired. How could it possibly be easier to recruit than at Texas?

Maybe he's better in one aspect of 'the close' yes by saying "I beat (whoever), I sent a ton of guys to the NFL." But compared to the herculean task of everything else, 'the close' seems small potatoes to me.

I wanted Herman, but thinking Cignetti might be better. I'm on board now. And yeah, we all just want a good one, and it's speculation on who's best.
Yeah, and Allen can say he beat Michigan, Mich. State, Wisconsin, and Penn State - all in the same season.

How has that helped him?

Anyone supporting Herman is someone who, as you say, got fired from a school with unlimited resources and who lost to Maryland twice - when we were beating Maryland.

Some people like to live in a fantasy world.

I turned 90 today so my view on the age is likely different than most of you. I did not think they would hire a 62-year-old, but I think he has the stuff so let us hold our judgements, get out of the way, and let him do it.
Happy Birthday, young man!

Reactions: bang63 and muubell
Yeah, and Allen can say he beat Michigan, Mich. State, Wisconsin, and Penn State - all in the same season.

How has that helped him?

Anyone supporting Herman is someone who, as you say, got fired from a school with unlimited resources and who lost to Maryland twice - when we were beating Maryland.

Some people like to live in a fantasy world.
Herman lost to a Maryland team with Walt Bell as their OC - I’m good with Cig!

That's when you can start collecting social security. People don't last forever. I'm in my 30s, and I can't do the stuff I did when I was in my twenties. If I make it to my '60s, work is about the last thing I'm going to want to do.
Well I am 73 and still run marathons. I ran just as fast in my late fifties as I did in high school. I still work with 20 year old kids.

25 years ago, the 60-year-old would have been 35.
Ha ha! ;)

Sam Snead needles another pro who wasn't going to take the risk of driving over some trees. "When I was your age I would clear those trees easy!". Pro takes the dare and hits his drive right into the trees. Snead leans over to tee his ball and says "Course, when I was your age those trees were half that tall."

Last edited:
Any tips to keep it going? 73 and marathons is impressive
I am fortunate to have received good DNA. Eat healthy but don't overeat. Stay active in some way mentally and physically. Bike 🚴, walk, swim 🏊‍♂️, join the Y or a group of like minded people. And keep running 🏃🏻. Injuries are easier to acquire as you get older so build slowly. Go IU!!!

On the plus side of his age, he might not be looking to move on to another challenge if he finds success here.

I think there is likely more risk with a younger coach bolting to a bigger payday if he does well here.

It could be argued that we may have CCC longer due to his age than we might have if he was younger.

Happy Birthday btw

How much NIL $$$ do the big dogs spend in a year...OSU, Bama, Georgia, TX, etc? Anyone know?
13-15 million supposedly. The rumor is Texas A&M number one class cost 30 million. The official number from Texas A&M was 4 million for one year. It’s one thing to buy a class but to keep guys is another. So looks like the number is 4-5 million to keep.

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1 and dbmhoosier
How much NIL $$$ do the big dogs spend in a year...OSU, Bama, Georgia, TX, etc? Anyone know?
I don't know and I doubt anyone really knows. A player can make whatever deal he wants and I doubt that's tracked anywhere.

IU's is easier to track because of the 'charities' that pay the players. But even IU players can make deals outside of that.

I would bet it's a lot more than what we know.

More than that, but it doesn't matter because as of right now, that isn't our real competition. We need to know what Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Nebraska are offering. Climb over the top of them and then you worry about Iowa, Wisconsin, UCLA, Washington. Manage to climb over them and then you maybe start worrying about OSU, Michigan, USC, etc.

We haven't even started to crawl yet, I don't care what those running can do, they aren't the immediate target. You have to grow to that. Our immediate target should be, "How do we get up to the Wisconsin/Iowa level?"

People are supposed to retire at 62 for a reason.
Young people please read this.

Unless you are physically unable to continue working, or are fabulously wealthy, best to work as long as you can.

You can claim SS at the early age of 62, but with a reduced benefit. The so-called full benefit age is currently 67 (if born after 1960), but this is misleading. The maximum benefit amount is reached if you wait until age 70.

Claiming at age 70 increases your benefit by 24% compared to claiming at your full benefit age.

Jimbo: I suggest you revisit your post in 30 years and see if you still think 62 is 'old'.

This is so silly. People age so differently now. My grandma looked old back at 55 in the early 90’s. My mom at 65 looks…normal still. Ha. My father in law is pushing 70 and still runs a company because he loves it. 65 is quite literally the new 50 if you take care of yourself and have a half decent education.

Young people please read this.

Unless you are physically unable to continue working, or are fabulously wealthy, best to work as long as you can.

You can claim SS at the early age of 62, but with a reduced benefit. The so-called full benefit age is currently 67 (if born after 1960), but this is misleading. The maximum benefit amount is reached if you wait until age 70.

Claiming at age 70 increases your benefit by 24% compared to claiming at your full benefit age.

Jimbo: I suggest you revisit your post in 30 years and see if you still think 62 is 'old'.

The life expectancy for a man in the US is about 73.5 years (2021 data). If you retire at 70 hope you are healthy or you might not have long to enjoy it. I'm 57, no way in hell do I still want to be working at 70. I guess it might be different if I was one of those "my work is my life" types but I am not.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/life-expectancy.htm

Reactions: IUCrazy2
The life expectancy for a man in the US is about 73.5 years (2021 data). If you retire at 70 hope you are healthy or you might not have long to enjoy it. I'm 57, no way in hell do I still want to be working at 70. I guess it might be different if I was one of those "my work is my life" types but I am not.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/life-expectancy.htm
Did you read the data you linked? Life expectancy at birth is lower than at age 65. Odds are you will live well into your eighties.

My work isn’t my life, but I enjoy my work. If your idea of a happy retirement is playing golf at the Villages, by all means retire early. Just make sure you have enough money for the long haul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT