ADVERTISEMENT

Playing devil’s advocate on Cignetti…

Take out OSU, Michigan, and PSU...we're not competing with them on any level, right now...despite playing relatively close games with them, and actually coming very close to winning in Happy Valley.

If you take those teams out, I'd guess its pretty darn comparable.

I'm sure on a macro scale, he's going to try to instill the mindset that they're competing with "everyone" on their schedule...the entire B10. But in reality, the challenge is raising the program up initially to where we aren't the doormat. As in the actual worst program in the B10. And to do that, he'll be recruiting against Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland, Michigan State, Minnesota, etc... I would bet he's been recruiting against Maryland, Rutgers, and some ACC schools already for kids the last couple years... And then beating enough of those teams to not continue to finish last every year.

To me, THAT'S the actual leap. Obviously jumping from JMU...longtime FCS program that is now FBS in the Sun Belt...up to the mighty Big Ten... symbolically is an enormous leap. But practically, what his actual day to day challenges, the actual recruiting battles, the teams he needs to overtake...I don't think the leap up is nearly as big as it seems versus what he's been doing the last couple years at JMU. And now he'll have the B10 to sell, he'll have a larger NIL budget, he'll have a larger staff budget to ensure he can attract and keep quality assistants, he'll have games like USC, UCLA, Oregon, OSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc... to sell.

Its a step up, no question. But I see it as one that he might have to lift his leg up a little higher than he has before...NOT one that he has to get a ladder for or anything.
by no means dispositive but i suspect beating the top of the sbc is comparable if not harder than beating the bottom of the big ten. rpi: look where the bottom of the big ten falls. the sbc is exceptionally competitive from top to bottom. hell louisiana was top 25 a few years ago
24 jmu
30 troy
44 app st
52 coastal
58 marshall
67 ga state
69 tx state

76 minny
84 ill
90 nebraska
94 purdue
123 indiana

by no means dispositive but i suspect beating the top of the sbc is comparable if not harder than beating the bottom of the big ten. rpi: look where the bottom of the big ten falls. the sbc is exceptionally competitive from top to bottom. hell louisiana was top 25 a few years ago
24 jmu
30 troy
44 app st
52 coastal
58 marshall
67 ga state
69 tx state

76 minny
84 ill
90 nebraska
94 purdue
123 indiana
Yep... so the actual day to day challenges he'll be working on (recruiting, practicing, games, etc...)...I don't think its all that big of a jump for him. Take away all the perceptions, the scope, etc associated with coaching in the B10... He's already been competing with lower level B10 and ACC schools, recruiting wise, for kids the last few years at JMU... he's been playing against teams as good or better than the teams he needs to beat at IU...

The main challenge for him, I think, will be how he deals with adversity. Its been a while since he's had to deal with it. And pretty much no matter how good he ends up being at IU, he's going to have to deal with more losses than he's used to. I don't think he needs to accept losing to teams like OSU and Michigan...but he's going to initially. Navigating through that, and making sure he can keep himself, his staff, and the players dialed in...and beating the other teams...will be his main challenge.

Yep... so the actual day to day challenges he'll be working on (recruiting, practicing, games, etc...)...I don't think its all that big of a jump for him. Take away all the perceptions, the scope, etc associated with coaching in the B10... He's already been competing with lower level B10 and ACC schools, recruiting wise, for kids the last few years at JMU... he's been playing against teams as good or better than the teams he needs to beat at IU...

The main challenge for him, I think, will be how he deals with adversity. Its been a while since he's had to deal with it. And pretty much no matter how good he ends up being at IU, he's going to have to deal with more losses than he's used to. I don't think he needs to accept losing to teams like OSU and Michigan...but he's going to initially. Navigating through that, and making sure he can keep himself, his staff, and the players dialed in...and beating the other teams...will be his main challenge.
and recruiting. you have connections that i trust are mostly w/ coaches throughout the carolinas, virginia, mid atlantic etc. and now he has to establish the midwest too. but all that is a guess

Last edited:
The first red flag is letting him coach the bowl game. If w’re hiring someone I would like them to get on the job right away.
I think if i were JMU I would be more concerned. He will have to determine who will be coming with him to IU from the coaching staff. He will have to evaluate his roster. He will have to hit the road recruiting as he will not be recruiting the same kids. He will have to evaluate IU commits right away with early signing date upon us.

24 jmu
30 troy
44 app st
52 coastal
58 marshall
67 ga state
69 tx state

76 minny
84 ill
90 nebraska
94 purdue
123 indiana
I think I would rather play the top schedule as opposed to the BIG schedule .But can't wait to see Coach Cignetti work his magic.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
My biggest concern with Cignetti is his age, but if he get can IU headed in the right direction and give us a good five or six years, it makes this job much more attractive for the next coaching search.
Some of you are too hungup on age. Many people nowadays are very active and vital well into their 70s. As long as you take care of yourself. Go to your local Y sometime, you might be surprised.

I was referring essentially to Herman. Yes, the concerns would have been different but definitely not equal. And no, the questions I've posed would not apply equally to whomever we might hire. A coach who can tell a kid, "As HC of Texas, I beat Georgia in the Peach Bowl," "My record as a HC in bowl games is 5-0," "I was 22-4 at Houston," "I put X number of players in the NFL," is going to have a leg up on a coach who says, "I built a powerhouse at James Madison." First question from the kid in response - - "Where's that?"

Look, I'm not pouring cold water on the prospect of Cignetti as our HC. I'm a bit disappointed and more than a little concerned for the reasons I've already stated, but I'll get over it. Obviously I hope he hits it out of the park.
A splashy young hire might not stay here long. That was my only concern with Herman

A splashy young hire might not stay here long. That was my only concern with Herman
True but with an older hire there's a definite upper limit. We *know* we'll be hiring another Football (and Basketball) coach in the next 5-10 years. But certainly that could happen anyway either because the coach doesn't perform or gets a better offer elsewhere. Nothing is guaranteed and it's only one factor among many to consider.

IU isn’t in a position to hire a successful, established P5 coach so Cignetti seems to be the next best thing. Herman on paper would be a good hire but the off the field stuff is concerning.

Some of you are too hungup on age. Many people nowadays are very active and vital well into their 70s. As long as you take care of yourself. Go to your local Y sometime, you might be surprised.
I've also seen people get dementia in their 60s. People are supposed to retire at 62 for a reason. IU is forfeiting the ability to have a coach with a long tenure like Mallory. Health matters: see Hep.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I don’t expect big things in Cignetti’s ( if he’s hired) 1st year or 2 either. I do expect improvement and do expect him to choose the best qb without a battle going 2 or 3 games into the season. I expect him to make good decisions on the sideline and not lose due to not being prepared.
He has raised the level of play at JMU and wiill now be D1 eligible for playing in a bowl game.

We lost 4 games by less then 10 points last year. How can you not expect big things in year 1? If he gets 4 million in NIL, that's 4 times more than CTA ever had.
I guess it depends on what you consider big things. A new coaching staff with a new system and what looks like mostly new players will take time to jell. If we win 3 or 4 games it wouldn’t surprise or disappoint me although I’m hoping for 6 wins.

Excuse me but WHERE does it say people are supposed to retire at 62?
That's when you can start collecting social security. People don't last forever. I'm in my 30s, and I can't do the stuff I did when I was in my twenties. If I make it to my '60s, work is about the last thing I'm going to want to do.

Usually that would be the case but the Bowl they're projected to play in (the New Mexico Bowl) takes place on December 16th, nearly right in the middle of the Portal window, giving any interested prospects a good solid look at what he runs and how he/they coach it...

As long as they are extremely competitive and don't fall flat on their face you couldn't ask for a better Portal focused advertisement to come join us at INDIANA...

He'll have already had time to contact the INDIANA players that he wants back from the Portal and he'll have executed the early signing of the High School recruits on December 10th... //That's if we go ahead and pull the trigger Now thus giving him the precious time to accomplish all of the above.//
Thank you. That is encouraging.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
With the transfer portal and nil, IU should be competitive and win 5 plus games in first year

Next year we are almost surely 3-4 against our cupcakes and OSU, UM, Washington and UCLA.

To go to a bowl (6-6) we would need to win three of Maryland, Nebraska, Purdue, @ MSU, @NW which is not impossible but a tall order. Be interesting to see what the roster looks like in a month or two.

Reactions: UncleMark
I guess there isn't a perfect candidate. But, I don't like intentionally limiting possibilities, either. Realistically, how many years does he have left in him? 6?

While it would be better if he was 50, as an example, his age doesn’t bother me.
Since Mallory our coaches have only lasted 5, 3, 2, 4, 5 and 7 years. It would be GREAT if Cig coaches 6-10 years and turns the program into a desirable destination. We will see.

I've also seen people get dementia in their 60s. People are supposed to retire at 62 for a reason. IU is forfeiting the ability to have a coach with a long tenure like Mallory. Health matters: see Hep.
Mallory was here 12 years, let’s not pretend like he had a Paterno like career at IU. Plenty of coaches are in it into the early 70s. We could easily see 10 years out of Cignetti

I used to get hung up on age a ton with respect to coaches but I just want to win. If he wins at IU and retires or leaves or whatever after 4-6 seasons then he will have left the program on much more steady ground than he found it and that would be appealing to another coach.

I think he's a much better option than Paul Chryst or Justin Frye or even Jason Candle. He's won with less and won everywhere he's gone. Hell, Jonathan Smith was my top choice and that guy is under .500 in his coaching career. I would have preferred Fritz and Chadwell too but they're probably going to be able to take the South Carolina and Florida jobs if they want when they open up.

I think this was home run given the other truly serious candidates. I admit, I was a big Tom Herman fan but Coach Cig checks all the boxes but age for me.

We voted in 2 of the oldest presidents in history. Cignetti is 10 years younger than Saban. Heps health wasn’t age related either. Weird post.

Only issue is his age. Could turn into another Coach Hep situation easily but I'm praying he's Jim Boeheim and can coach into his mid 70s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT