ADVERTISEMENT

Oh man Tyson vs Jake Paul in July

Maybe it has to do with not having a willing sanctioning body...or maybe it dawned on the Queen of Combat Sports Cosplay that he was facing Mike Tyson?

Tyson will reap his soul regardless
Good point re a sanctioning body.

As for the rest I’d choose my words more carefully. That’s a warning

Is Paul going to jab at Tyson and try to keep him away with his arms? Will he try to duke it out and let Tyson get close and lock him up?

I would expect Tyson is going to come out looking for a knockout in the first few rounds. Has Paul ever been hit hard?
If there isn’t a knockout one way or the other by round 3 look for Tyson to give up & throw in the towel. Anyone see Tyson & remember how his last fight ended? He’s there for a paycheck, not to win a fight. I his relatively short prime, I don’t know if anyone would beat him, including the GOAT Ali…

Reactions: mcmurtry66
If there isn’t a knockout one way or the other by round 3 look for Tyson to give up & throw in the towel. Anyone see Tyson & remember how his last fight ended? He’s there for a paycheck, not to win a fight. I his relatively short prime, I don’t know if anyone would beat him, including the GOAT Ali…
I’m not sure how these exhibitions work. Knockouts might not even be allowed

Jake Paul on his stool after round one...

s0sYV.jpg

I think Ali in his prime would annihilate Tyson. Same type of reach as Lewis, but much, much quicker and tougher to hit. Jab, jab, jab. True, Lewis was bigger (taller and heavier) but I just don't see Tyson landing too many on Ali.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
I think Ali in his prime would annihilate Tyson. Same type of reach as Lewis, but much, much quicker and tougher to hit. Jab, jab, jab. True, Lewis was bigger (taller and heavier) but I just don't see Tyson landing too many on Ali.
Ali was incredible. I think there was a short window where Tyson was unbeatable before prison and he would have gotten inside on Ali with his speed. And that power…. Would have been something

Reactions: larsIU
So Tyson hit that much harder than Foreman and Frazier in their primes?

All 3 (Tyson/Foreman/Frazier) were very powerful but different fighters.

Ali could beat Foreman to the punch with his speed at distance, and smother his power on the inside. With Frazier, Ali couldn't smother him inside so he had to get in and get out, and beat him at distance. With prime Tyson, he was so explosive from all angles and both hands and could close distance so fast, it would've been harder for Ali to negate Tyson's power than Foreman or Frazier.

All 3 (Tyson/Foreman/Frazier) were very powerful but different fighters.

Ali could beat Foreman to the punch with his speed at distance, and smother his power on the inside. With Frazier, Ali couldn't smother him inside so he had to get in and get out, and beat him at distance. With prime Tyson, he was so explosive from all angles and both hands and could close distance so fast, it would've been harder for Ali to negate Tyson's power than Foreman or Frazier.
I think this is right

Joe Frazier was, imo, a lesser version of Tyson & gave Ali fits.
Edit: & Frazier had less power(I think?), but was tougher than Tyson, so maybe Ali just weathers a few rounds & then pummels Tyson. We never got to see him go deep into matches in his prime, but that’s because he annihilated everyone.

I tend to agree. If Tyson got inside the reach once or twice it would be over. Ali would have to clutch every time it happened or get KTFO.
I certainly don’t think he could employ his rope-a-dope against Tyson. Maybe the most underrated thing about Ali though is his chin. That was one tough motherfvcker. Not sure he could weather the Tyson storm though…

Last edited:
Ali was incredible. I think there was a short window where Tyson was unbeatable before prison and he would have gotten inside on Ali with his speed. And that power…. Would have been something
The first Ali-Frazier fight might be a decent comparison. Tyson might have gone all out attempting to drop Ali early in the fight, since that is what Tyson did in his prime, but maybe he'd realize that might not work with Ali, If Tyson fought like prime Tyson the fight might look more like Ali-Foreman.

Last edited:
In terms of the nexus of explosiveness and power, those two guys aren’t even in Tyson’s atmosphere.
This guy ranks both Foreman and Shavers ahead of Tyson in terms of power:

Tyson fought for 21 years. Had 61 bouts. He was never knocked out. Was only knocked down 3 or 4 times. And, as the man said in his own words:

The first Ali-Frazier fight might be a decent comparison. Tyson might have gone all out attempting to drop Ali early in the fight, since that is what Tyson did in his prime, but maybe he'd realize that might not work with Ali, If Tyson fought like prime Tyson the fight might look more like Ali-Forman.
Much different stylistically than Foreman. George’s damage was usually done from afar as opposed to Tyson who was lethal in close, getting inside your guard…

The first Ali-Frazier fight might be a decent comparison. Tyson might have gone all out attempting to drop Ali early in the fight, since that is what Tyson did in his prime, but maybe he'd realize that might not work with Ali, If Tyson fought like prime Tyson the fight might look more like Ali-Forman.
I’d be curious to see how Tyson fury would do against that era. He’s 6’9

Reactions: BradStevens
This guy ranks both Foreman and Shavers ahead of Tyson in terms of power:

Tyson fought for 21 years. Had 61 bouts. He was never knocked out. Was only knocked down 3 or 4 times. And, as the man said in his own words:

I don’t doubt that Foreman is overall more powerful. He’d have to be at that size. But guys like Ali could dance around him because he was so slow. Tyson has the power and the speed which made him lethal.

Shavers is similar. A slugger who struggled against more complete boxers like Ali and Holmes.

Much different stylistically than Foreman. George’s damage was usually done from afar as opposed to Tyson who was lethal in close, getting inside your guard…
I know, I meant in terms of how a fight might go between Ali and Tyson. If Tyson tries to do what prime Tyson always tried to do and went all out for a knockout as early in the fight as possible, and he failed to get one (Ali was not only a great fighter, he could also take punches that knocked others out), Tyson might have ended up being knocked out himself later in the fight like Foreman was.

Last edited:
I have seen that. There is no doubt he can hit hard. I’ve been a little surprised how easily he’s beaten the UFC guys he’s faced. Granted, they’re all washed up & probably aren’t taking it too seriously, but still…

I’d love to see Tyson knock his head clean off, then maybe my boy will quit wanting that awful Prime drink all of the time…

I have seen that. There is no doubt he can hit hard. I’ve been a little surprised how easily he’s beaten the UFC guys he’s faced. Granted, they’re all washed up & probably aren’t taking it too seriously, but still…

I’d love to see Tyson knock his head clean off, then maybe my boy will quit wanting that awful Prime drink all of the time…
It’s not that they are just washed up, it’s the difference between a mixed martial artist, and a boxer. A mixed martial artist has to be really good at multiple facets of the game, a boxer needs to box.

It must be very hard for those mixed martial artist to resist kicking. It’s like having one arm tied behind their back.

Reactions: larsIU and jet812
It’s not that they are just washed up, it’s the difference between a mixed martial artist, and a boxer. A mixed martial artist has to be really good at multiple facets of the game, a boxer needs to box.

It must be very hard for those mixed martial artist to resist kicking. It’s like having one arm tied behind their back.
Again completely agree. However they should/be used to taking a punch. Hell with small gloves.

If you watch that immediately after he lands the right that wobbled Foreman (~1:02), Ali could have easily thrown and landed another right. But he didn't.

Ali was great.
The first poster of any kind I had on my wall as a boy was of Muhammad Ali with is “Float like a butterfly…” quote. It wasn’t my choice, but my dad’s. It took me a long time to understand why, but I eventually did.

You’re right, Ali was great. He was a great boxer too…

This thread has me remembering how great boxing used to be. Back when you could turn on Wide World of sports & watch Hagler, Leonard, Holmes, Hearns, Mancini, Ali, etc. fights called by Howard Cosell on ABC. I grew up watching those. Seems like the HBO Showtime stuff came along about the same time as Tyson, but maybe I misremember…

This thread has me remembering how great boxing used to be. Back when you could turn on Wide World of sports & watch Hagler, Leonard, Holmes, Hearns, Mancini, Ali, etc. fights called by Howard Cosell on ABC. I grew up watching those. Seems like the HBO Showtime stuff came along about the same time as Tyson, but maybe I misremember…
You bet. My memory is shit but didn’t Tyson come along with the ppv (who is getting the fight)

You bet. My memory is shit but didn’t Tyson come along with the ppv (who is getting the fight)
I don’t remember how early in his career, but I do specifically recall being pissed that the Buster Douglas fight from Tokyo was on HBO at the time, so I had to find a bar to watch it in. That’s still the most shocked I’ve ever been about a sporting event…

I don’t remember how early in his career, but I do specifically recall being pissed that the Buster Douglas fight from Tokyo was on HBO at the time, so I had to find a bar to watch it in. That’s still the most shocked I’ve ever been about a sporting event…
And I can remember the 90 second fights and people bitching bc they “paid for it”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT