ADVERTISEMENT

No mention of Leal on here?

jacksback

Junior
Feb 5, 2003
The whole flow of the game literally changed when Leal came in late in the 2nd half. I think he was +17 during his time on the floor. We started playing harder on D and moved the ball around better on O. I'm not about to say he could be our savior but I've never understood why the kids doesn't get 8-10 min per game. He clearly understands the game better than all of our overrated athletes, plays harder, is always in the right spot and doesn't do stupid shit. He should definitely be getting some of Cupps and Gunns minutes.

Several questions in the post-game about Leal. Woodson spoke highly of him and said he has earned more playing time.

I agree with you and have always thought that whenever Leal managed to get minutes he usually plays at least decently and doesn't commit any big errors. Never understood why he didn't play more at least in relief of starters.

I notice he's usually sitting at the front of the bench next to the coaches and have speculated he's trying to learn the game from that perspective and maybe wants to get into coaching after his playing career ends.

Very slow latterly. Needs to be wide open to shoot.

Woody has seen him everyday since he started. There is a reason he is last on the bench.
Yes he’s slow laterally…but so are a lot of kids. For Leal, defense will be about angles and positioning. His main asset is the ball doesn’t stick in his hands….we are less stagnant with him in the game. At the same time, the way we attempt to play…I’m not sure that outweighs the negative of a lack of foot speed

The whole flow of the game literally changed when Leal came in late in the 2nd half. I think he was +17 during his time on the floor. We started playing harder on D and moved the ball around better on O. I'm not about to say he could be our savior but I've never understood why the kids doesn't get 8-10 min per game. He clearly understands the game better than all of our overrated athletes, plays harder, is always in the right spot and doesn't do stupid shit. He should definitely be getting some of Cupps and Gunns minutes.
He's a senior, not a savior. He came in and played hard and smart, that's what a bench player should do. Sparks played well too, as did Walker from reports (I couldn't watch this one). Woody acknowledged he's earned more minutes and has turned it up in practice recently. He understands the game better because he's been around it longer. Cupps minutes are going to dip when X comes back naturally but developing him allows him to gain the experience you're lauding Leal for. It's a continuum and I'm not ready to crown Leal off of 1 game, when all he did was his job.

Woody has seen him everyday since he started. There is a reason he is last on the bench.

Every player has his deficiencies. Sadly it seems like Woodson plays the ones that have more mental than physical deficiencies.

But I understand why. The mental can be improved while the physical is limited.

Yes he is slow laterally but he still managed to stay in front of his guy a whole lot better than Cupps or Gunn. Again, I'm only saying he should be getting a few minutes each game. Gunn at times is simply unplayable due to his complete lack of awareness and Cupps ain't bringing much to the floor right now other than steady ball handling. Maybe some of our guys could learn something from watching Leal play the game. I doubt this changes and this team will continue to struggle significantly at times until we get X back. For the record, I doubt Gunn ever amounts to a hill of beans unless he gets hit in the head and has some light bulb moment.

Reactions: MIS01 and baileyiu
Leal doesn’t normally hurt us. Several rotation guys almost always seem to. And I appreciate posters who feel compelled to spout without actually watching the game they’re spouting about.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Leal doesn’t normally hurt us. Several rotation guys almost always seem to. And I appreciate posters who feel compelled to spout without actually watching the game they’re spouting about.
Kinda like talking about our NBA players without watching the games. I mean after you ripped TJD for not doing shit in the NBA, he broke the internet. That was nostradumbass level on steroids, well done.

MM is slow laterally, Gunn takes terrible angles. Out of position off ball is a recurring theme
We just sag towards the middle. So annoying. Whatever is being taught isn't being mastered. Because these dudes ball watch and just drift to the middle to over help, sometimes for no reason at all. We have to get this shit right. X will be a big help, until he sprains his foot 5 minutes in.

We just sag towards the middle. So annoying. Whatever is being taught isn't being mastered. Because these dudes ball watch and just drift to the middle to over help, sometimes for no reason at all. We have to get this shit right. X will be a big help, until he sprains his foot 5 minutes in.
A healthy X helps on ball defense and by doing that will also help off ball due to not as many rotations being necessary. But that doesn’t fix the inherent problems we are seeing with off ball (or help side). We have a problem with being too high and too close in relation to offensive player on weak side.

I still have hope this can be fixed (although it is getting late early).

Reactions: Cavanagh
Do you actually watch Iu games. He gets beat off the dribble every possession lol. I don’t care that he jumps 10 feet

I have a better angle than your non HD 20 inch tv in moms basement my guy. He gambles a lot, doesn't have great bball IQ, is guessing wrong a lot. The being said, he is still one of the best options we have to guard elite guards. Leal two games ago I believe broke his entire body on a shimmy, could have been on and And One real.

Gunn and Leal ability to stay with players is night and day. Not comparable.

Do you actually watch Iu games. He gets beat off the dribble every possession lol. I don’t care that he jumps 10 feet

Time to bring back Tamar Bates. The earth’s greatest player ever.
Now, the secret, as I understand it, is you have to make him really mad before games for him to go into superhuman form. He’s like The Hulk. You don’t want to see him when he gets angry.

I have a better angle than your non HD 20 inch tv in moms basement my guy. He gambles a lot, doesn't have great bball IQ, is guessing wrong a lot. The being said, he is still one of the best options we have to guard elite guards. Leal two games ago I believe broke his entire body on a shimmy, could have been on and And One real.

My mother passed away 6 years ago.

I believe my eyes and I see AL doing what's needed to uplift IUBB results on the floor. His impact the past 2 or maybe it's been 3 games(you know the way time flies when you're having fun) has shined. As has been reported he's attracted Coach Woodson's attention shows he is a good addition on the floor against any opponent. I'll step out even further and say with enough PT he can contribute just as positively as Anthony Walker is. Of which Walker has been a pleasurable surprise to me. ...Just sayin...but yes Leal is separating himself from the end of the bench. That's good for IU BB's guard thinness and very good for IUBB.

Last edited:
Yes he’s slow laterally…but so are a lot of kids. For Leal, defense will be about angles and positioning. His main asset is the ball doesn’t stick in his hands….we are less stagnant with him in the game. At the same time, the way we attempt to play…I’m not sure that outweighs the negative of a lack of foot speed
Exactly! Larry Bird played against quicker players on most nights. He knew a player;s tendencies and knew the scouting report. It is about the angles much in the same way football uses angles in defending receivers and open field tackling. The actions and recognition must happen much quicker in basketball.

I instinctively knew to step back and in the direction a quicker player was moving. I had a mental image where I needed to get to and what angle I would take to beat the player to the spot where I would stand my ground. If nothing else, you force the player where he doesn't want to go. You give up some ground to force a defended jump shot or a pass. Few players are as quick with the ball as they are without it, so knowing what they want do can give you an edge.

Leal has the experience that Cupps will learn in time. Gunn reacts to what he sees and doesn't anticipate where the player wants to go. Gunn might think he is so quick that he can rely on athletic ability. Athleticism is great but not all you need.

Yes he is slow laterally but he still managed to stay in front of his guy a whole lot better than Cupps or Gunn. Again, I'm only saying he should be getting a few minutes each game. Gunn at times is simply unplayable due to his complete lack of awareness and Cupps ain't bringing much to the floor right now other than steady ball handling. Maybe some of our guys could learn something from watching Leal play the game. I doubt this changes and this team will continue to struggle significantly at times until we get X back. For the record, I doubt Gunn ever amounts to a hill of beans unless he gets hit in the head and has some light bulb moment.
Cupps has been the best defender on the court in at least half the games so far.
Gunn had a block and a steal and a basket in 8 min last night. Seems to me he did fine.

Both are young guys who will keep getting better.
Guys like Fife, Coverdale, Lewis, Oladipo, even Greg Graham- they all took time to develop as backcourt players, and all became very (very) good.
Give these guys a minute to grow. Leal has been in the program 4 years. Woodson should be able to get 10 good minutes from him every time.

Several questions in the post-game about Leal. Woodson spoke highly of him and said he has earned more playing time.

I agree with you and have always thought that whenever Leal managed to get minutes he usually plays at least decently and doesn't commit any big errors. Never understood why he didn't play more at least in relief of starters.

I notice he's usually sitting at the front of the bench next to the coaches and have speculated he's trying to learn the game from that perspective and maybe wants to get into coaching after his playing career ends.
can certainly see him being our future head coach one day!

while we are providing some deserved accolades, i thought i would give mention to how productive Walker was last night. his stat line shows 10pts and 5rb. but he was very decisive in his play and provided glue.
i also might balance out the Cupp & Leal minutes as we head into B10 play. we want Cupp to gain experience but we may benefit from the steady upperclassman.

Yep. Gunn just oozes potential. No reason in the world for Gunn to get beaten off the dribble other than poor positioning and the risks he takes on D. There's a reason that he gets a fair number of deflections (Tom Crean anyone?).

I can't blame Woody for playing someone like Gunn over Leal. I mean, in theory, the sky is the limit for him, and he's the ideal player in his defensive system where everyone switches.

Reactions: asindc

Slow latterly..Pretty much the whole team is.
I've never seen so many guys trailing their defender on plays....

Now, the secret, as I understand it, is you have to make him really mad before games for him to go into superhuman form. He’s like The Hulk. You don’t want to see him when he gets angry.
I know it is fun for you to poke at me with Tamar, but he is shooting 50% from three. My favorite thing about him was always his shooting. IU could use it desperately. Considering Mack is the only shooter on the team.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
I think it's the cover story on this site, "Leal sparks Hoosiers... or something." If he could help IU win, he would play more. It's not complicated. He played a few minutes to help IU win against a bad team with a lot of IU guys sitting, good for Anthony. Not a kid that is going to play 8-10 a game the rest of the year, or it is going to be a terrible rest of the season.

CJ still gambles when he shouldn't on defense. That is why Anthony got minutes last night. There was a play ( not sure if you could see it on TV) the last minutes of his night, when IU scored and CJ tried to turn the KSU PG in the back court and the PG rode CJ all the way to the rim. That was it for him.

He struggles to keep his intensity up. No room for his gambles at this point of his career.

I think it's the cover story on this site, "Leal sparks Hoosiers... or something." If he could help IU win, he would play more. It's not complicated. He played a few minutes to help IU win against a bad team with a lot of IU guys sitting, good for Anthony. Not a kid that is going to play 8-10 a game the rest of the year, or it is going to be a terrible rest of the season.

CJ still gambles when he shouldn't on defense. That is why Anthony got minutes last night. There was a play ( not sure if you could see it on TV) the last minutes of his night, when IU scored and CJ tried to turn the KSU PG in the back court and the PG rode CJ all the way to the rim. That was it for him.

He struggles to keep his intensity up. No room for his gambles at this point of his career.
I'm sorry but you can't even trust Gunn to dribble the ball against pressure. I always find it comical when people equate unlimited potential when being really athletic. That mass between the ears is far more important and Gunn has a hole in his head from the look of the way he plays.

Sorry responded too soon he’s over 55% for three, 8th in the country after his 25 pts today.

Reactions: T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT