ADVERTISEMENT

No. 6 Stanford vs IU: IU loses 13-0 on the ten-run rule in the 7th.

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
IU's Reese Sharp had a rough outing giving up two earned runs in the B2nd and then was pulled with one out in the 4th replaced by Bothwell after Stanford had pushed across three runs with one run scoring on a wild pitch. Bothwell walked the first batter he faced to load the bases with one out, but he got a K and a pop-up to end the inning without further damage. IU has just three hits so far.

IU had the top of the order up in the 5th, and they went down in order.

Bothwell walked the first batter in the 5th and then got two fly outs, but gave up a double scoring the man from first. The runner advanced to 3rd on a fielding error by Colopy in RF. The runner on 3rd scored on a single for the second run of the inning. A wild pitch advanced the runner to 2nd. Then a double scored the runner from 2nd. All three runs scored in this inning were after two outs.

Ellis got a leadoff single in the 6th, but was out at 2nd on a fielder's choice with Tibbetts reaching first. Colopy then singled to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. But, Pyne hit into a double-play to end IU's threat. Nathan Stahl has replaced Bothwell in the B6th.

I was going to discontinue my coverage of this game on here since the 6th inning was another disaster and I have my limits, but with Stanford scoring five runs in the 6th and going up 13-0, the 10-run rule went into effect mercifully ending the game when IU went meekly down in order in the T7th. It was a bad day for our pitching which got battered, and our outfield mishandled a couple of balls for two errors, and the freshman Mathison lost track of another fly ball in LF that dropped in front of him and was scored a double. We had only one scoring threat that ended with a DP ball. The only positive in this game was that both Ellis and Colopy each went 2 for 3 at the plate.

Last edited:
Thanks for tracking the games this weekend. While it is early and some teams expected to be very good are off to rough starts, this game is troubling wrt pitching (Hitting can improve with more time outside I hope) I would like to think Modugno and Perkins will be competitive, and I have high hopes for Hayden but 2 weeks in the staff as a group looks questionable. These next couple of weeks are important IMO. We play teams where we should be competitive and mostly haven’t had the weather advantage for prep that we have faced the first 2 weeks.

Reactions: ptrich
Thanks for tracking the games this weekend. While it is early and some teams expected to be very good are off to rough starts, this game is troubling wrt pitching (Hitting can improve with more time outside I hope) I would like to think Modugno and Perkins will be competitive, and I have high hopes for Hayden but 2 weeks in the staff as a group looks questionable. These next couple of weeks are important IMO. We play teams where we should be competitive and mostly haven’t had the weather advantage for prep that we have faced the first 2 weeks.
I know nothing about Stanford's team other than they were described as a veteran team and we know that they play good baseball out on the coast. While we displayed our youth and inexperience today, they took advantage of our mistakes and got clutch hit after clutch hit when needed, and IU gave up several runs after having two outs in the inning. This team should grow with experience, and while we have some veterans that transferred in, they are getting used to playing in this program and mixing in with the youngsters, so having a game like this is not much of a surprise early on especially against a high-ranking team. BTW, Nebraska is favored to win the B1G and they have had an even worse start to the season and are 1-5 right now while losing in the T9th to TCU and unless they come back will start the season at 1-6. Like IU, they have played a good schedule down in Texas. Much of the rest of the B1G have been playing against low-level teams that usually don't field highly competitive teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orford and mk24
Would it be safe to say the new pitching coach is off to a rough start? Seems like our relievers especially have just poured straight gas on fires.

Would it be safe to say the new pitching coach is off to a rough start? Seems like our relievers especially have just poured straight gas on fires.
The pitching coach is dealing with a new weekend rotation and having to rebuild the bullpen somewhat, so I'm going to give him a pass in the early going of the season. It's an excuse, but a ligitimate one.

Reactions: mk24 and 82IU
The pitching coach is dealing with a new weekend rotation and having to rebuild the bullpen somewhat, so I'm going to give him a pass in the early going of the season. It's an excuse, but a ligitimate one.
Let's hope they can get on a roll sometime soon. Really need to win a series or 3 to get back on track.

Let's call it how we've seen (read about) it: the pitching has been horrible. Embarrassing so far.

I don't if it will stay that way, hopefully not, but it's been awful so far. Combined with our fielding we've looked like a little league team against the schedule we've played - but I doubt anyone's played a tougher schedule than us (no matter what rankings say).

It's damn hard to cut your teeth on a schedule like that, though. I assume we'd look much better against most of the Big Ten's teams' schedules. Hopefully this will benefit us down the road.

Well, it looks like we’d probably be a power in the MAC. 10-1 thru 4. Someone send some beer to the Miami dugout. 😬

Let's call it how we've seen (read about) it: the pitching has been horrible. Embarrassing so far.

I don't if it will stay that way, hopefully not, but it's been awful so far. Combined with our fielding we've looked like a little league team against the schedule we've played - but I doubt anyone's played a tougher schedule than us (no matter what rankings say).

It's damn hard to cut your teeth on a schedule like that, though. I assume we'd look much better against most of the Big Ten's teams' schedules. Hopefully this will benefit us down the road.
Yes, it hasn't been pretty, but we have an almost all-new team that is going to need some time to iron things out. The schedule didn't allow for much of a "break-in" period for the team, so I'm not at all surprised about how the early going has gone, and believe we can have pretty decent season. We expected growing pains with this team. While I know we should worry about our own team, if I was a Husker fan, I would be pretty upset with the early going, but they will probably get things going as the season wears on.

Reactions: Seyton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT