ADVERTISEMENT

News to Feed Your Soul - a personal one

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
As many of you know, my 18yo son happens to have Down syndrome (as well as a couple of other medical issues). In May he graduated from high school. In June, he started his first job at a local Cincinnati chili parlor. The job was only for 5 weeks, and was part of a summer program run by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (ODOD). ODOD provided a job coach, and the program is not intended to lead to full-time employment with the employer. Instead, it's intended to help develop job skills, allow for the exploration of various careers, etc. But, it was a paying job ($9.50 an hour).

My son was a rock star. The job coach even commented on how he independently exhibited leadership skills with his team (there were two other participants). He also enjoyed going to work (though, like most of us, he still probably would have preferred to stay home at times).

My wife and I believe it is important to allow our son to decide what to do with his earnings (with some guidance, of course). So, what did he want to buy? See my tweet below. Yes, I know I am blowing my cover a little bit, but I could not be more proud of this young man.

As many of you know, my 18yo son happens to have Down syndrome (as well as a couple of other medical issues). In May he graduated from high school. In June, he started his first job at a local Cincinnati chili parlor. The job was only for 5 weeks, and was part of a summer program run by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (ODOD). ODOD provided a job coach, and the program is not intended to lead to full-time employment with the employer. Instead, it's intended to help develop job skills, allow for the exploration of various careers, etc. But, it was a paying job ($9.50 an hour).

My son was a rock star. The job coach even commented on how he independently exhibited leadership skills with his team (there were two other participants). He also enjoyed going to work (though, like most of us, he still probably would have preferred to stay home at times).

My wife and I believe it is important to allow our son to decide what to do with his earnings (with some guidance, of course). So, what did he want to buy? See my tweet below. Yes, I know I am blowing my cover a little bit, but I could not be more proud of this young man.

Congratulations, Noods. That's a good story, and you have every reason to be proud.

BTW, there's a 25 year-old young man in our neighborhood with a fairly profound disability and a loud, outgoing personality. He works at an Advance Auto Parts store near here, and is doing quite well. His job is to greet customers and entertain them while the guys in the back get the parts needed.

He and his dad go on tandem bike rides . . . he poaches a ride by letting his dad - my age - do all the pedaling. Kid ain't dumb.

He also likes to read: we had him and his folks over for dinner last summer and the topic of conversation gravitated to All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Hard to tell how well his mind organized that book; he asked me questions about it the whole evening.

This is so great. He has an amazing set of parents!

Reactions: Noodle

I hope he knows I get extra cheese and 50% more chili than normal on a three-way when I come in.

I bet if you contact the Reds you can wrangle a meeting with Votto and your son can get that jersey autographed. That can then be framed and Votto will get him another one he can wear. Votto can be really good with deals like this.

What a good-looking kid. Well done.

Now straighten up your living room man.

Reactions: UncleMark
Good stuff. Do you think he will be able to stay on there? Will he be able to do the job without a job coach supervising?

What a good summer for him. And you know he’s proud of earning his own money.

My local grocery has a guy that has been working there for years, does a great job always just so nice to everyone. Good to see places give people a chance .

I loved everything about this, until I saw the jersey, but your son is happy, so that's all that matters. 😄

Keep up the good work. Your doing a great job.

I hope he knows I get extra cheese and 50% more chili than normal on a three-way when I come in.

I bet if you contact the Reds you can wrangle a meeting with Votto and your son can get that jersey autographed. That can then be framed and Votto will get him another one he can wear. Votto can be really good with deals like this.
Based on the replies to the tweet it looks like that's in the works.

While there are certainly some jerks in MLB, the NFL and the NBA, more often than not there are a lot of good guys who do some great things behind the scenes and out of view of the media.
Knight did a ton of stuff behind the scenes and was good about making sure it was kept off the books. Harder to do that nowadays with the internet and social media.

Can you imagine the 23 y/o social media director asking Knight if it would be OK to post about his visit to a children's hospital on Twitter and Insta?

I can, and it's glorious.
Knight swore everyone to secrecy, and they knew what would happen if he found out they had done otherwise.

Knight swore everyone to secrecy, and they knew what would happen if he found out they had done otherwise.
Zoomers and secrets don't mix. Believe me, I have one (a zoomer - i've got tons of secrets)

here’s an inverse, but also great story I hadn’t seen before

Reactions: Noodle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT