ADVERTISEMENT

New Safeties coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article on him. Highly regarded, and statistically unimpressive.

From this article: He seems to care about his players … and appears to be a grinder.

ST report:

https://saturdaytradition.com/india...ng-recently-hired-c-usa-dc-as-safeties-coach/

Two words come to mind: Winner and Upgrade...

He's a great recruiter, a greater personality and sounds like a very high character guy. He rose through the ranks quickly, and clearly made an impact on Kevin Wilson too. On the flip side, Duke's defenses regressed during his tenure as DC until they were literally the worst defenses in the NCAA. I am having a hard time with that. I don't think he was the play caller on that defense, but he was associated with a complete meltdown of the Duke defensive regime.

One of the things I can't understand is how he was a finalist for assistant coach of the year award in 2020 when his defenses were so bad. He reminds me a lot of the Walt Bell hire. Young coach, high praise, fast riser, strong recruiter, not a lot of historical success. He did have five all conference selection over seven years which is pretty impressive.

Last edited:
He's a great recruiter, a greater personality and sounds like a very high character guy. He rose through the ranks quickly, and clearly made an impact on Kevin Wilson too. On the flip side, Duke's defenses regressed during his tenure as DC until they were literally the worst defenses in the NCAA. I am having a hard time with that. I don't think he was the play caller on that defense, but he was associated with a complete meltdown of the Duke defensive regime.
That's an easy answer: Talent (or lack of)... The coaches can't get out there and play for them and you're ultimately only as good in the W/L column as your "Jimmy & Joes" out on the field... Take a look at who graduated and who replaced them and I think things will be clearer..., (along with who was out with injury).

Last edited:
He was going to be THE DC at Tulsa and Wilson seemed to be pulling in some talent. What happened?
Maybe he wants to coach in the Big Ten, or maybe he thought he didn't have enough talent on hand to not get dumped and ruin his career in under 3 years down there...

And..., maybe I'm wrong and he really will be a "Co-DC"...
I don't know, you tell me...

It is good to see IU fill the coaching staff and we will see how good this staff is this year with the 7th toughest schedule. We need to see blocking and tackling at the B1G level and bringing in coach Bostad should improve OL blocking but will the WR and RBs block better this year. I hope we see a resurgence in safeties play as it declined the past year or two. I also hope this means coach Allen will give up the DC job and focus on the HC job.

Last edited:
Well maybe he and Wilson didn’t get along, wouldn’t be the first time.
Kevin is historically hard on D.C.'s and in the past didn't recruit to their needs; so it wouldn't take Nostradamus to predict that his first D.C. would end up being a sacrificial lamb of sorts while Kevin built his team/program...

This is probably a really smart career move by Guerreri...

It is good to see IU fill the coaching staff and we will see how good this staff is this year with the 7th toughest schedule. We need to see blocking and tackling at the B1G level and bringing in coach Bostad should improve OL blocking but will the WR and RBs block better this year. I hope we see a resurgence in safeties play and it declined the past year or two. I also hope this means coach Allen will give up the DC job and focus on the HC job.

Looks to me like we're Winning the offseason... let's hope that transfers over to the real season...

Kevin is historically hard on D.C.'s and in the past didn't recruit to their needs; so it wouldn't take Nostradamus to predict that his first D.C. would end up being a sacrificial lamb of sorts while Kevin built his team/program...

This is probably a really smart career move by Guerreri...
Good point. I hope you’re right and he’s the real deal. We certainly need some effective new motivated blood to get back to where we were in 2018-19…

Co-DCs typically call the front with the other coach making the secondary call. I hope this hire is about coach Allen giving up defensive play calling.

I made this point after Deland McCullough left our Coaching Staff last Year for Notre Dame. I have a real problem with a guy Who signed a contract somewhere worked for a Month took his check, and then leaves for another program. Yes, I'm sure Tulsa gave us permission to talk to Him. Maybe He had a falling out with Wilson. Or maybe, Wilson and other Coaches don't want a potentially disgruntled Employee on their Staff.

If I were forming a Coaching Staff, I wouldn't consider this guy based on the History. I don't want to be left high and dry scrambling to find another Coach. Maybe we need to put Buyout Penalties in Contracts for Assistant Coaches. Better yet, don't have written contracts for Assistant Coaches, Treat them as "Employees at Will" so We can fire them at anytime without penalty. In any event, the conduct here strikes Me as Unprofessional.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I made this point after Deland McCullough left our Coaching Staff last Year for Notre Dame. I have a real problem with a guy Who signed a contract somewhere worked for a Month took his check, and then leaves for another program. Yes, I'm sure Tulsa gave us permission to talk to Him. Maybe He had a falling out with Wilson. Or maybe, Wilson and other Coaches don't want a potentially disgruntled Employee on their Staff.

If I were forming a Coaching Staff, I wouldn't consider this guy based on the History. I don't want to be left high and dry scrambling to find another Coach. Maybe we need to put Buyout Penalties in Contracts for Assistant Coaches. Better yet, don't have written contracts for Assistant Coaches, Treat them as "Employees at Will" so We can fire them at anytime without penalty. In any event, the conduct here strikes Me as Unprofessional.
We don't know the story, but it could be as easy as he told coach Wilson, he needs these positions filled and coach told him no way, he was bringing offensive players he wanted. I don't know what transpired but I do know coaches want to coach with coach Allen.

Who does that remind you of? (Hint: son of our former coach)

Reactions: vesuvius13
Co-DCs typically call the front with the other coach making the secondary call. I hope this hire is about coach Allen giving up defensive play calling.
Aren't the 2 supposed to work together? I can't imagine 2 separate calls for the line and the secondary.

Maybe it's done, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like he might give Allen a run for high energy.

Reactions: 76-1
After reading that article I find it hard to believe Cutcliffe let him get away in the 1st place. P5 is a major pull and OSU to Tulsa would be a change even in the FB crazy state of Oklahoma. This co-DC move proves to me Coach Allen is going to be HC only. This will be good for the offense too as Allen will spend more time focusing on what he thinks the offensive direction should be. I think he and Bell become a strong working partnership as I'll bet the offense will more represent the offense Bell has favored prior to IU. Allen said upon hiring Bell that he found his offenses hard to prepare for(or something like that). You can count on 1 thing it won't be ditto to what was offered for most of last year. Change has to occur.

Coach at Tulsa … or coach in the Big Ten … after coaching at Duke in the ACC … I’m sure a coach speak answer is forthcoming in a press conference near you soon.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

Asking permission to speak with any coach is a courtesy only, as no rule exists in the college game that requires it. And there are typically provisions in assistant coaches’ contracts that address the obligations of either party should the deal be broken.

Reactions: red hornet
Aren't the 2 supposed to work together? I can't imagine 2 separate calls for the line and the secondary.

Maybe it's done, but it doesn't make sense to me.
The front call ties in with the secondary call and often it is done this way to quicken the pace of the defensive calls. It also changes the focus of the coaches making easier to see what is happening on the field. I did this when I was coaching to make the calls easier for the defensive groups.

The front call ties in with the secondary call and often it is done this way to quicken the pace of the defensive calls. It also changes the focus of the coaches making easier to see what is happening on the field. I did this when I was coaching to make the calls easier for the defensive groups.
...and makes perfect sense for a smoother game day organization...

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT