ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Rice

I always like the players never improve mentality especially in the case of kids that are underclassmen. There are plenty or roster openings. Rice would be a great get for PG.

Alabama's Rylan Griffen entered Portal. 39% shooter from 3 and started 33 games for Bama. From Dallas so probably headed to play for Calipari. Dallas back in Nolan's day used be called PigPen south or whatever the name of their arena is. Anyway, he has 2 years eligibility left.

MR shot 33% from 3 so he is working on that. I don't think MR got into foul trouble because he played PF. He needs to cut out or significantly decrease the stupid reach and frustration fouls. Let him play both spots as needed. I think they need a big like Bradshaw or Ballo to replace Ware.

MM was really solid from 3 by season's end. It took him a while to adjust to college but he did. Banks and Gunn never really gave Woody other options though Gunn had a couple fo nice games. Hopefully Tucker and MM and push each for PT.

Don't care whether Gallo starts or not but hope he gets 25+ minutes games. I think his leadership and all round basketball is pretty good at the college level and he will do things that the teams needs to win. Teams can always use those types. He shot 46% from 3 the previous year. He had JHS that year and TJD was really good facilitating. Wonder if he struggled to make the adjustment to being the lone upperclassmen leader of the team who got taxed with completely running the team. X was OK but as usual hurt and a mental disaster at times. Probably not the guy you want faciltaing and running the team. I'd rather TG fix the FT shooting which is as much of a team issue than 3 point shooting, IMO.
Trey is a hustle guy but he has never shot the basketball well. Last year he shot a good percentage from 3 but low volume. He is a liability at the FT as well. Just never been a guy that can consistently shoot. Love his hustle but he is best served as a spark off the bench.

Reactions: nichlee
Trey is a hustle guy but he has never shot the basketball well. Last year he shot a good percentage from 3 but low volume. He is a liability at the FT as well. Just never been a guy that can consistently shoot. Love his hustle but he is best served as a spark off the bench.
He has a weird twist in his shot and release... I do too, when shooting with my off hand. How in the hell has he played this long with those mechanics not getting fixed is beyond me.

I don't care how many shooters we get if they don't have the green light to shoot it won't matter. We should be shooting 30 three's a game next season.
Do you ever pay real attention? Did you not suffer through race Thompson’s brick laying competition? Woody gives the green light. They just have to be willing to take them. No way they take 30 a game. Very few teams do.

I don't care how many shooters we get if they don't have the green light to shoot it won't matter. We should be shooting 30 three's a game next season.
Lol no we don't. Maybe a handful of teams attempted that many on average and if I had to guess they weren't very good.

7-8 makes on 20-23 attempts is much more appropriate.

He has a weird twist in his shot and release... I do too, when shooting with my off hand. How in the hell has he played this long with those mechanics not getting fixed is beyond me.
I passed that twist to my nephew. I teased him about it being my fault he was so streaky. Kid might hit 6 in a row or miss 20.

You don't have an effing clue as to what you're talking about.

Three teams in college basketball averaged 30 3pt attempts a game last year: BYU, North Florida, and College of Charleston.
If you round up……😑. In all seriousness if you do what Alabama did and run into a decent 3 point defense or good rebounding team then those 30-35 attempts hurt you.

If you round up……😑. In all seriousness if you do what Alabama did and run into a decent 3 point defense or good rebounding team then those 30-35 attempts hurt you.
There's a few simple ways to increase 3pt output ...

1. In transition have wings run to the line not the rim. Take the open ones.
2. After offensive rebounds have perimeter players go to the line and unless a wide open unguarded put back, rebounder needs to pass it back out for 3 attempts.
3 Get players that can shoot it when guarded and/or off the dribble.
4 Tell Malik to pass the damn ball back out when doubled, tripled or quadrupled. lol ...

#2 is the one that drives me nuts when watching IU ... it's the easiest wide open three in basketball and we never do it.

Last edited:
He is a good pickup if we have some shooting around him but with Trey already in lineup and Tucker. You are very limited from the outside

We can't have enough "quality" guards. It is a guard game and this is a position we have royally SUCKED ASS in the past 8 seasons. JHS was a one man show. We need a group and a solid one. Especially our starters. If we can get a legit PG and have Cupps as the solid backup, then great. We need a lengthy 2 who can stroke it as well as another 3. Go get 2 dawgs in the middle and then keep feeling up the guard pipeline. Guards. Keep getting guards that can SHOOT!

2. After offensive rebounds have perimeter players go to the line and unless a wide open unguarded put back rebounder needs to pass it back out for 3 attempts.
4 Tell Malik to pass the damn ball back out when doubled, tripled or quadrupled. lol ...

#2 is the one that drives me nuts when watching IU ... it's the easiest wide open three in basketball and we never do it.
For all of Creans flaws he was good at making defenders make a choice on the break and secondary break. He loved to throw two shooters on the same side while the big ran the floor to the opposite post. Then yogi or another for 3.

He only made 36 all year…36-131.
He is a huge upgrade over X/Cupps I am just concerned that Woody still hasn’t addressed shooting and worry he won’t change Trey’s role.
From what I have heard, Trey and his families actually requested that Woodson recruit over him for a starting guard and for Trey to be a 6th man already last offseason. Trey only cares about winning and he realizes that he is not a starter on a championship caliber team. Trey realizes that and his family does. The reason Trey’s role didn’t change last year is because he was the only reasonable option we had. X was hurt half the year season, Gunn didn’t pan out, Cupps was outsized this year, there was no other somewhat reliable option besides Trey last year.

From what I have heard, Trey and his families actually requested that Woodson recruit over him for a starting guard and for Trey to be a 6th man already last offseason. Trey only cares about winning and he realizes that he is not a starter on a championship caliber team. Trey realizes that and his family does. The reason Trey’s role didn’t change last year is because he was the only reasonable option we had. X was hurt half the year season, Gunn didn’t pan out, Cupps was outsized this year, there was no other somewhat reliable option besides Trey last year.
Ya, Trey gave Woodson permission.

Ok? Alabama replaced half there roster and almost won it all by shooting threes and scoring. 90ppg and 30 three point attempts per game.

Reactions: IUgradman
Ok? Alabama replaced half there roster and almost won it all by shooting threes and scoring. 90ppg and 30 three point attempts per game.
So? Alabama gave up open shots to run his junk system. Wins a bunch of games but never the big one. They literally give up open midrange shots at all costs. It cost them. Took 4 all year. Was easy for UConn to guard the 3.

Reactions: asindc
Th
This almost sounds too good to be true. Hope you’re right.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Hope this news gets out to the broader fanbase. Impressive.

2. After offensive rebounds have perimeter players go to the line and unless a wide open unguarded put back rebounder needs to pass it back out for 3 attempts.

#4 for me. Love MR’s improved production this season but passing in to him is a black hole effect. Watch some damn TJD tapes. I’m sure Woody has hours of film to show him.

You hope an unsupported rumor gets out to the fan base? Why would that be a good thing?
Oh no Woody says in a presser that Trey is willing to play whatever role that helps the team the most including 6th man.

Ofc assuming it’s true. Just give him a little credit. Harmless.

For all of Creans flaws he was good at making defenders make a choice on the break and secondary break. He loved to throw two shooters on the same side while the big ran the floor to the opposite post. Then yogi or another for 3.
His secondary break was very, very effective. Man those Zeller teams were so fun to watch…for the most part.

Many people up here say it’s because his dad valued scoring and winning over developing some important skills like shooting and different types of dribbling skill.

Treys youth teams all won tournaments and stuff, and he dominated, but he literally never took outside shots.

No clue how true that is. I do know that while his dad is a solid HS coach, he makes Hurley look calm on the sidelines. Not a very well liked coach in our area. And if the stuff about how he coached Trey is true, I can definitely see how he failed to learn proper form outside about 5-10 feet.

Many people up here say it’s because his dad valued scoring and winning over developing some important skills like shooting and different types of dribbling skill.

Treys youth teams all won tournaments and stuff, and he dominated, but he literally never took outside shots.

No clue how true that is. I do know that while his dad is a solid HS coach, he makes Hurley look calm on the sidelines. Not a very well liked coach in our area. And if the stuff about how he coached Trey is true, I can definitely see how he failed to learn proper form outside about 5-10 feet.
Yeah his dad is a royal douche as a coach

Oh no Woody says in a presser that Trey is willing to play whatever role that helps the team the most including 6th man.

Ofc assuming it’s true. Just give him a little credit. Harmless.
I don't doubt that Trey is willing to play any role. He's proven he's that kind of player. I doubt he bluntly told Woodson to recruit over him. Sounds completely made up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT