ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota players boycotting all football activities . . .

Point is, the girl's 'participation' is irrelevant here. It's on the players to avoid doing anything to embarrass the university or expose that institution to liability.

I can't get there.

Should the university fire a Brad Pitt look-alike male concession worker who provided stud services for half the cheer leading squad one night? I would think so. Would you?

I can't get there.

Should the university fire a Brad Pitt look-alike male concession worker who provided stud services for half the cheer leading squad one night? I would think so. Would you?
No, I don't think so. But the cheerleading squad should be in trouble, assuming there was some kind of morals clause in their agreement to be on the squad. Concession workers are generally 3rd party contractors and do not have 'moral' clauses, unless it's something like spitting in someone's drink (or use your imagination), which is a violation of the law anyway.

Now, if the concession worker didn't wash his hands afterwards....

Reactions: Monday QB
I can't get there.

So, should the woman face consequences or should the players face less consequences or what? Lets agree she does have some culpability. Does that lessen the appropriate consequences for the players?

C'mon, man, all the nuance and legal shit aside, we're talking about a bunch of guys that gang banged a shitfaced drunk chick. That's despicable. No amount of "she was a slut" and "boys will be boys" changes that. In my mind, the only question to ask is "Were they involved?" If the answer is yes, I can see nothing to mitigate it and they need to be gone.

Ray Rice was in effect black-balled from the NFL, which deprived him of his livelihood to support his family - which continues to include his wife, the woman he punched.

That's sort of a bogus argument for someone that already had career earnings of over $30M.

So, should the woman face consequences or should the players face less consequences or what? Lets agree she does have some culpability. Does that lessen the appropriate consequences for the players?

Like I have said repeatedly, I have no interest in whitewashing what the players did, or that they should be free of serious consequences.

I just think this situation is a whole lot more complicated than "they did it" . . . and the complications stem from what the woman did, and did not, do.

I imagine that every single Minnesota recruit is shopping for a new school today. I imagine that the Holiday Bowl committee is scrambling to figure out their options. What a mess.

I think there is a new doormat team in the Big 10.

Including the high school recruit reported to be involved on 9/2 during his visit to the University of Minnesota and Dinkytown.

Will he land at one of 3 other schools he has visited in the Big Ten or will those 3 programs say no?

My sense is that she abdicated responsibility for her own well-being by being 5 or 6 sheets to the wind by the time she met up with the football players, and by having consensual (if one can do so drunk) sex with (by her own admission) at least two of the guys where several guys were present.

Note that this isn't a circumstance where someone accosted her, took her to a place against her will and then forcibly raped her ab initio. It also isn't a circumstance where she had an intimate setting for enhancing a meaningful relationship with a guy. It's a circumstance where her control over what was happening slipped away because she didn't clearly define the boundaries of her behaviors and consents.

So we excuse her from any culpability/responsibility for that?
The answer is yes, we do. Intoxication does not excuse unwanted sexual conduct. In Indiana, anyway, you have a responsibility to stop if you suspect the person (woman) is not in a mental state to resist. If in doubt, put your pecker away.

I have a son, too, and he'll be taught that if he ever puts himself in that position with a woman, drunk or not, he'll have more trouble with me than he does with the law or the school.

Reactions: RBB89 and Monday QB
Like I have said repeatedly, I have no interest in whitewashing what the players did, or that they should be free of serious consequences.

I just think this situation is a whole lot more complicated than "they did it" . . . and the complications stem from what the woman did, and did not, do.
I don't see how it's complicated. She said yes until she didn't. That's not complicated. The fact that she drank alcohol has zero to do with anything.
Should she lose her job? Maybe but only if a condition of her employment was to never have relations with players, though I don't see why that would be the case. Should she suffer "consequences" because she had consensual sex and some of the other guys there took it farther than she wanted? Absolutely not.

When the players read that report I don't think they will want those guys as teammates. I think the coaching staff is going to have a hell of lot of questions to answer - particularly since they all seemed to be freshmen and sophmores. What the odds of collecting that group of dirtbags as scholarship players?

If the alumni read the report many of them will have trouble sleeping at night.

I'm not sure, as a leader of a team, I could get behind these guys. Because they didn't get "due process" the statement read by the player had a ring of "lawyer" to it. Asking for release of information to satisfy the "teammates" isn't required and may be against the law for privacy issues. I know they said they were going to boycott activities and then are now going to the bowl, so I wonder what has changed? Have some of them changed their stance within the team?
I wonder if this was all released and some of the more "stand up" guys said, "I can't get behind this and don't want these types of players to tarnish my reputation. And I don't want to miss a bowl game because some dumbass can't keep his pecker in his pants" Imagine the heat from the alums right now....they have got to be throwing fits.

Reactions: DANC
When the players read that report I don't think they will want those guys as teammates. I think the coaching staff is going to have a hell of lot of questions to answer - particularly since they all seemed to be freshmen and sophmores. What the odds of collecting that group of dirtbags as scholarship players?

If the alumni read the report many of them will have trouble sleeping at night.
I would hope that's the case. My guess is that they ended the boycott without a fight immediately after reading that.

This happened more than three months ago and there was no sense of contrition before the players backpedalled with their response on Saturday. Regarding the woman's culpability, yes, there are continuing questions. No one is putting her on a pedestal; however, there isn't a point of no return where her behavior abrogates any right of basic human decency.

This happened more than three months ago and there was no sense of contrition before the players backpedalled with their response on Saturday. Regarding the woman's culpability, yes, there are continuing questions. No one is putting her on a pedestal; however, there isn't a point of no return where her behavior abrogates any right of basic human decency.
What questions could those possibly be? The only question that is relevant is "did she consent?" and the answer, backed up by testimony and video, is "sort of, but not really" to the first two men and "definitely not" after that. Wasn't it you who linked the article explaining why women in rape situations find it very difficult to resist?

Reactions: RBB89
Has anyone at Indiana made the connection that the recruit involved in this mess is Quran Hafiz? He is set to commit and sign today. There are reports that ISU and Nebraska have pulled their offers, and it appears the Illini have as well. That leaves only Indiana from his final four.

Last edited:
Has anyone at Indiana made the connection that the recruit involved in this mess is Quran Hafiz. He is set to commit and sign today. Their are reports that ISU and Nebraska have pulled their offers, and it appears the Illini have as well. That leaves only Indiana from his final four.

In had not, others may have. A bit of research indicates that Neb believes they are the favorite as of Friday night. I am sure all involved want to vet this.

Reactions: BigRedFootballEd
Per twitter, Sean Callahan (from Huskers Online) announced this morning on KFAB that Quran's offer has been pulled.

Jared Stansbury (a reporter for Cyclone Fanatic) reported on Saturday that Iowa State was no longer an option for Quran.

The guy had 35 offers. I imagine they are all going to dry up.
It will be interesting to see what happens tonight. He is scheduled to announce and sign at 6pm. He plans to enroll for the spring semester at the school he chooses. His final four are Indiana, Illinois, Iowa State and Nebraska.

It appears that Indiana may be the only offer that is still available unless that has been pulled as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens tonight. He is scheduled to announce and sign at 6pm. He plans to enroll for the spring semester at the school he chooses. His final four are Indiana, Illinois, Iowa State and Nebraska.

It appears that Indiana may be the only offer that is still available unless that has been pulled as well.

I don't know what the kids involvement was but it sounds like he may spend a year in JC proving himself.

I'd be shocked if IU hasn't pulled the offer already, and if it hasn't that it would take Quran if he's the recruit in the video.

Has this information not been available to coaching staffs before the last day or two? If it has been available, why the continued interest in the kid?

Word must be getting out that Quran will sign with Indiana. A number of so called experts at 24/7 are switching their picks to Indiana. If Indiana does accept his letter of intent, it will be interesting to see how fans react once people read the report regarding his involvement in the events at Minnesota.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Quran-Hafiz-at-Sandalwood-138307/CurrentExpertPredictions
Where is the report saying he was the recruit that weekend? I haven't seen it.

Where is the report saying he was the recruit that weekend? I haven't seen it.
The report that was released by a news organization in Minnesota did not provide names. The details of the events refer to a recruit. Per what I've read on other forums, it appears that he was the only recruit visiting that weekend. I believe that is how people made that connection. I can't verify the accuracy of that assumption, but I read a post on another site that said there was an article in which his mom confirmed it was him. I have not seen that article.

The report that was released by a news organization in Minnesota did not provide names. The details of the events refer to a recruit. Per what I've read on other forums, it appears that he was the only recruit visiting that weekend. I believe that is how people made that connection. I can't verify the accuracy of that assumption, but I read a post on another site that said there was an article in which his mom confirmed it was him. I have not seen that article.
I cannot imagine Tom Allen taking the commitment if it is true that he was involved.

Reactions: Sope Creek

Here ya go . . . http://www.startribune.com/underage...olved-in-alleged-sexual-misconduct/407140326/

I cannot imagine Tom Allen taking the commitment if it is true that he was involved.

I can't either. But I also can't reconcile the signing of a NLOI what we've heard about this kid being the only recruit on Minny's campus the weekend the sex/assault occurred.

Can football recruits sign NLOIs in December? I thought they had to wait until February.

I can't either. But I also can't reconcile the signing of a NLOI what we've heard about this kid being the only recruit on Minny's campus the weekend the sex/assault occurred.

Can football recruits sign NLOIs in December? I thought they had to wait until February.
I think you are correct that it wasn't a national letter of intent. Per his twitter, it appears he signed financial aid papers. I don't believe those have the same meaning as a NLI.

Reactions: Sope Creek
I think you are correct that it wasn't a national letter of intent. Per his twitter, it appears he signed financial aid papers. I don't believe those have the same meaning as a NLI.

Also, IU coaches have been fairly active on twitter regarding other early enrollees (legal for coaches to retweet recruits), and no coach has done so with Hafiz so far. Maybe reading too much into this, but perhaps the commit hasn't been accepted. Guy had set this date over a month ago I think and was holding an event, so could be embarrassed to have to publicly cancel like that had all offers been pulled.

Also, IU coaches have been fairly active on twitter regarding other early enrollees (legal for coaches to retweet recruits), and no coach has done so with Hafiz so far. Maybe reading too much into this, but perhaps the commit hasn't been accepted. Guy had set this date over a month ago I think and was holding an event, so could be embarrassed to have to publicly cancel like that had all offers been pulled.

Never mind, Shelby just retweeted him

Imagine it now!

Lock up your daughters, Bloomington!

Suggest we hold judgement until his involvement is understood. Also have seen tweets that several affects were still in place. Hopefully not what some are mailing it to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT