ADVERTISEMENT

Mellencamp getting new turf

Don’t fall for that crap. Every football program worth a crap is getting or has seperated football weight rooms. Usually in its practice facility. This is why BS arguments have conditioned insiders that we don’t need these things to compete. Well that’s horseshit and why IU will never be close. Embrace mediocrity. Don’t get me wrong the same has happened to me on the basketball side.
It's all about recruiting. If you're not at least doing the basics, you're falling behind.

A full size, up to date, indoor facility would seemingly be a relatively minimal outlay compared to say stadium upgrades...

It doesn't need diamond encrusted goal posts, just a larger than regulation sized field base slab with an oversized steel arch roof (pretty much just Mellancamp yet properly sized...)...

Anyone telling you this isn't used against us in recruiting is simply uninformed...

It's utility is far more than just for rainy days... The Strength and Conditioning Program would most likely utilize it 8-9 months out of the year and if you want to install wrinkles to your O and D away from prying eyes you'd have a full sized field to work on the installs...

Last edited:
It's all about recruiting. If you're not at least doing the basics, you're falling behind.

A full size, up to date, indoor facility would seemingly be a relatively minimal outlay compared to say stadium upgrades...

It doesn't need diamond encrusted goal posts, just a larger than regulation sized field base slab with an oversized steel arch roof (pretty much just Mellancamp yet properly sized...)...

Anyone telling you this isn't used against us in recruiting is simply uninformed...

It's utility is far more than just for rainy days... The Strength and Conditioning Program would most likely utilize it 8-9 months out of the year and if you want to install wrinkles to your O and D away from prying eyes you'd have a full sized field to work on the installs...
It’s just insane how different college football has become in a blink.

Most of those people already made their money and don’t want change.
I have problems with I69 but just the routing of it.

In my opinion..., they should have looped to the northwest, just below Martinsville (the Hurricane Road route), and connected it to I70 near the airport.

Had they done that it would have been finished 18 months ago, cost much less, and have finished a quarter of an easy to predict eventual "outer loop" which will ultimately have to be built to route around the already far too constricted downtown Indianapolis thru town route in the near future...

All they've done now is to continue the insanity of trying to force a firehouse volume of traffic thru a garden hose... (downtown Indy)...

In my opinion..., they should have looped to the northwest, just below Martinsville (the Hurricane Road route), and connected it to I70 near the airport.

Had they done that it would have been finished 18 months ago, cost much less, and have finished a quarter of an easy to predict eventual "outer loop" which will ultimately have to be built to route around the already far too constricted downtown Indianapolis thru town route in the near future...

All they've done now is to continue the insanity of trying to force a firehouse volume of traffic thru a garden hose... (downtown Indy)...
Interesting point, makes sense. The less through downtown the better. I wish they would have removed/reduced 65/70 downtown as much as possible vs the recent rebuild. Most cities are trying to remove highways from downtown to improve neighborhoods and open up space and it works.

Oh well I do love the new I69 down to Bloomington.

Don't even live in central Indiana and it's easy to understand your emphasis. Stuffing 6 Lb. of shit into a size 3 bag.

Last edited:
WTF for? So we don't get wet when it rains? Because it gets so freaking cold in Indiana that we can't practice outside? WTF do we even need an indoor facility for more than a handful of times a year?
What are you 90? The football program can be revenue-producing if we have top facilities we get top recruits etc etc. It's an arms race.

What are you 90? The football program can be revenue-producing if we have top facilities we get top recruits etc etc. It's an arms race.
Especially now. This might be the most critical opportunity for every team in the SEC and B1G. Lots of facilities are being upgraded in those conferences. Guess what? All are pretty much 100% football driven with a few other sports nominally included. I mean look at the lawsuits from other sports because football gets everything. Trying to use title IX. That’s how this is. Football makes money…beach volleyball doesn’t so stop including all sports in these upgrades.

Last edited:
Willing to bet the same people that oppose a new indoor practice
facility are part of the same group that opposed I69.

The objections to I-69 were from environmentalists who objected to the new terrain route between I-64 and Bloomington. While I didn't care much one way or the other, the objections were legit and didn't come from wild eyed hippie commie pinko bedwetters.

The objections to I-69 were from environmentalists who objected to the new terrain route between I-64 and Bloomington. While I didn't care much one way or the other, the objections were legit and didn't come from wild eyed hippie commie pinko bedwetters.
That old rout was insanely dangerous. Traveled it weekly. Especially when the coal mines were hopping.

Yeah, sure.

The point of I-69 was to connect Evansville and Bloomington to Indianapolis, not Plainfield. Forcing I-69 traffic onto 70 then on to 465 to hook up with the northeastern leg in Fishers would have been needlessly complex and circuitous.

Also, one of the key reasons for building I-69 was to improve safety. Terry Hoeppner’s daughter was killed in a car crash on SR 37. The stoplights around Indy made the road dangerous.

The point of I-69 was to connect Evansville and Bloomington to Indianapolis, not Plainfield. Forcing I-69 traffic onto 70 then on to 465 to hook up with the northeastern leg in Fishers would have been needlessly complex and circuitous.

Also, one of the key reasons for building I-69 was to improve safety. Terry Hoeppner’s daughter was killed in a car crash on SR 37. The stoplights around Indy made the road dangerous.
Hoeppners daughters death was directly tied to the I69 construction detour on the west side of Bloomington and had their been no construction going on that accident would have never occurred.

The lights on 37 between 465 and 144, while inconvenient, actually made that stretch safer, not the reverse...

I 70 was already widened at the feed in to 465 and that route would have given direct access to the airport. The Airport is the Key to Indianapolis... All your route does is get you to the City Dump and the Dog Pound quicker...

Doesn't matter..., your thought process won out, (congratulations, you think like an Indiana DOT exec [thats Not a compliment] ), much to the detriment of basically everyone north of Waverly...

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Hoeppners daughters death was directly tied to the I69 construction detour on the west side of Bloomington and had their been no construction going on that accident would have never occurred.

The lights on 37 between 465 and 144, while inconvenient, actually made that stretch safer, not the reverse...

I 70 was already widened at the feed in to 465 and that route would have given direct access to the airport. The Airport is the Key to Indianapolis... All your route does is get you to the City Dump and the Dog Pound quicker...

Doesn't matter..., your thought process won out, (congratulations, you think like an Indiana DOT exec [thats Not a compliment] ), much to the detriment of basically everyone north of Waverly...
The route chosen is a much more direct connection to Indianapolis and the northern leg of I-69. The area around the airport is already heavily built up so I-69 would have had to been re-routed several miles to the west where 70 is only four lanes.

Bottom line is I69 done between 465 and Bloomington or am I still better off taking 67?
Not done yet.

”Completed by the end of 2024” including the 465 stuff.

Meanwhile, the Henderson, Kentucky - Evansville bridge and final 12 mile connecting segment has begun construction and is expected to finish in …. 2031.

The people I knew that objected thought it would hurt the small town feel and didn't like the idea of all the increased traffic and semis going through.

Last edited:
The people I knew that objected thought it would hurt the small town feel and didn't like the idea of all the increased traffic and semis going through.
Where did they want to route it originally. I sat down and looked at a map of.Bloomington and shocked how much the area by the airport has grown.

Not done yet.

”Completed by the end of 2024” including the 465 stuff.

Meanwhile, the Henderson, Kentucky - Evansville bridge and final 12 mile connecting segment has begun construction and is expected to finish in …. 2031.
The US 41 bridge has been a historic bottle neck … I would expect the connecting segment will increase traffic … which is really sparse south of Bloomington now, in my experience.

Where did they want to route it originally. I sat down and looked at a map of.Bloomington and shocked how much the area by the airport has grown.
It went were it was routed. There was an alternative loop to the west below Martinsville (that connected to the Indianapolis International Airport) but it was rejected by the brain trust that is the Indiana Department of Transportation...

The US 41 bridge has been a historic bottle neck … I would expect the connecting segment will increase traffic … which is really sparse south of Bloomington now, in my experience.
It’s not been lately. My mom has an apartment in Evansville near me and splits time in Bloomington. We travel it often. It’s increased a lot in the ten years since completion. The new bridge can’t get done soon enough.

What arms race is Indiana ever going to be able to even compete in? Let alone win? lol

We aren’t going to win arms races with OSU or Michigan or Penn State. But we damn sure need to be competitive with our peers in the conference. The environment has changed completely and decisions with realignment, conference affiliation and so forth are driven 100% by football. So, you either get with the program or join another conference. It’s really not optional anymore. Gotta pay to play.

“I think they surprise people,” Dolson said of IU’s revamped football facilities. “A fellow Power Five AD we played in basketball came in early and I took him on a tour of our facilities. We went through the football facilities and he’s like, ‘Wow, just don’t go showing these to our football staff, because I don’t want them to see [what you have].’”

Literally the only issue people have noted about it is the roof height. Which impacts our ability to run fast, block, tackle and execute strategy.

A few people heard that we needed a new indoor facility....they didn't know why, but then ran with it as some huge example of IU not being committed to football. It's fine. It's nothing glorious or fantastic. The team hardly ever uses it to begin with, it gets a lot more use by other sports. It's just something else for people to bitch about.
This facility was dated when I was at IU 20 years ago. It isn't an asset to recruiting and new turf isn't going to help.

Cougar got tired of slipping in his family's late nite touch football games

Funny, we have a pro day with media but the football team doesn’t use it according to some. It’s no big deal. The lights and maintenance isn’t important. MF’ers can’t even hear over them. Lmao. I’m still freaking laughing about it.

Funny, we have a pro day with media but the football team doesn’t use it according to some. It’s no big deal. The lights and maintenance isn’t important. MF’ers can’t even hear over them. Lmao. I’m still freaking laughing about it.
Yeah, they had a really hard time holding that event in there. I'm not sure how they possibly managed to do so.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Yeah, they had a really hard time holding that event in there. I'm not sure how they possibly managed to do so.
It’s embarrassing and it’s funny you guys keep saying it’s ok. I mean every house and garage in America has better lighting in it. Lmao. It’s funny as hell. Typical IU laziness. I had to leave IU to keep my boredom and sanity in check.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT