ADVERTISEMENT

Mellencamp getting new turf

It’s the “Indiana mentality,” not too far removed from the more imbecile “Purdue mentality.”

I suspect Mellencamp’s Pavilion was built to mimic the Gladstein Fieldhouse, built in 1960. Both buildings are horribly outdated. Likewise, the 1971 Assembly Hall seating design mimics the 1960 Memorial Stadium sideline seating. Both have rarified atmosphere nosebleed sections poor for viewing.
Yea. I was wondering if Gladstein had something to do with it.

AH and Memorial Stadium and the IU Auditorium were all designed by some obscure architect from New York that also did a bunch of buildings around campus for decades. I don’t know how IU found them or what they were thinking with AH.

Interesting Memorial Stadium seemed to inspire Wake Forest and Virginia Tech stadiums (different architects). I’m not sure if Memorial Stadium was an original design or not.

AH and Memorial Stadium and the IU Auditorium were all designed by some obscure architect from New York that also did a bunch of buildings around campus for decades. I don’t know how IU found them or what they were thinking with AH.

Interesting Memorial Stadium seemed to inspire Wake Forest and Virginia Tech stadiums (different architects). I’m not sure if Memorial Stadium was an original design or not.
If you Google “Eggers and Higgins” it’s a NY architectural firm with a pretty impressive list of accomplishments. IU used them for 30 years.

If you Google “Eggers and Higgins” it’s a NY architectural firm with a pretty impressive list of accomplishments. IU used them for 30 years.
Yea. That’s what I was looking at — agree they had some major projects! Seems like once these two passed away their firm ended.

It appears they designed Gladstein as part of the AH and MS complex. Pretty interesting, they gave us some original designs.

That doesn't address my question/point in the least. You just described it as something that we need even though we don't use it. WE're not Minnesota, WIsconsin, etc where the weather keeps us from practicing or having productive practices. We can be outdoors damned near every day, even in the spring.
Then why do SEC teams have them? Just for recruiting cred? It’s an arms race. Get left behind and shown the door. Not sure why you are so staunchly against it. I hope we aren’t Wisconsin or Minnesota. Hope IU becomes better than that. Those others noted it’s a football only. When was the last time IU did anything for just football? Hell Montana and Montana state have better multi purpose facilities.

Then why do SEC teams have them? Just for recruiting cred? It’s an arms race. Get left behind and shown the door. Not sure why you are so staunchly against it. I hope we aren’t Wisconsin or Minnesota. Hope IU becomes better than that. Those others noted it’s a football only. When was the last time IU did anything for just football? Hell Montana and Montana state have better multi purpose facilities.
They have them because it’s too ****ing hot to practice outside. People could die.

I was referring to Wisconsin and Minnesota because in those places it’s too ****ing cold outside to effectively practice.

They have them because it’s too ****ing hot to practice outside. People could die.

I was referring to Wisconsin and Minnesota because in those places it’s too ****ing cold outside to effectively practice.
Bullshit. They play outside on game day. It’s a dumb argument. It’s an arms race. Montana and Montana state didn’t have indoor facilities (I bet it’s cold there too)but they will now. These football only sec facilities will be football only with separate weight and training rooms. IU better get with it and get serious. IU mellencamp pavilion sucks. It was outdated 20 years ago. Same for the goat track outdoor practice field.

Bullshit. They play outside on game day. It’s a dumb argument. It’s an arms race. Montana and Montana state didn’t have indoor facilities (I bet it’s cold there too)but they will now. These football only sec facilities will be football only with separate weight and training rooms. IU better get with it and get serious. IU mellencamp pavilion sucks. It was outdated 20 years ago. Same for the goat track outdoor practice field.
Or else what? lol

The kids from the south are not impressed by being told we work out outdoors all year in this shit.

What arms race is Indiana ever going to be able to even compete in? Let alone win? lol
What point are you arguing now? Do you want to win? Do you like football? Just google practice facilities and see what IU is up against. Every SEC school is miles ahead. Missouri, UK, hell even Vandy. Then look at the B1G. IU is 19th soon to be 20th.

What point are you arguing now? Do you want to win? Do you like football? Just google practice facilities and see what IU is up against. Every SEC school is miles ahead. Missouri, UK, hell even Vandy. Then look at the B1G. IU is 19th soon to be 20th.
So $50 million for a new facility gets us up to 15th? For about 3 years. So what?

Some built theirs 40 years ago. Renovated a few times. Like IU can’t renovate what they never had. That’s how bad it is. This isn’t even an argument and it’s funny you are arguing for this level of suck.
I just read the 2020 Big Ten facility recap on Hoosier Huddle.

Wisconsin only has a 90 yard field. GASP!!!!

We have (had) better facilities than PSU, MSU and a host of others. Our upgrades/locker rooms/nutrition centers/weight room are at our stadium while some conference competitors are putting theirs in their indoor facilities. But you never going to believe this. Many mentions throughout out the article about SHARING THE SPACE WITH OTHER SOORTS?!?!? OMG!!! GASP!!!

I just read the 2020 Big Ten facility recap on Hoosier Huddle.

Wisconsin only has a 90 yard field. GASP!!!!

We have (had) better facilities than PSU, MSU and a host of others. Our upgrades/locker rooms/nutrition centers/weight room are at our stadium while some conference competitors are putting theirs in their indoor facilities. But you never going to believe this. Many mentions throughout out the article about SHARING THE SPACE WITH OTHER SOORTS?!?!? OMG!!! GASP!!!
Ughhh. Things have changed drastically. Our facilities and upgrades have always included other sports. “Football drives the bus and this bus ain’t got no driver “. Better research a bit more.

Shared facilities have conflicts. Sorry fellas… the marching band can’t practice in the rain but we sure can. Now wash your cleats before walking into the locker room.
You’re truly ignorant. With all due respect. Can you give me some examples of times football wasn’t given priority over another sport wrt Mellencamp?

IOWA
The facility is connected to the indoor practice facility, a 102,000 square foot facility that features a full-length football field and drop-down batting cages.

MARYLAND
The renovated facility will include larger separate locker and team rooms, increased sports medicine space, a shared weight room among numerous athletic teams, and private office space for coaches and training staff.

MINNESOTA
The 96,000 square foot facility is part of an “Athlete’s Village” that the Gophers have constructed for all student-athletes on campus.

NEBRASKA
The facility will house the football workout facility and practice fields, but its nutrition and recovery centers will serve all Nebraska student athletes.

NORTHWESTERN
It is shared between multiple athletic teams on the Wildcats campus, but it is designed for football.

Reactions: red hornet
You’re truly ignorant. With all due respect. Can you give me some examples of times football wasn’t given priority over another sport wrt Mellencamp?

IOWA
The facility is connected to the indoor practice facility, a 102,000 square foot facility that features a full-length football field and drop-down batting cages.

MARYLAND
The renovated facility will include larger separate locker and team rooms, increased sports medicine space, a shared weight room among numerous athletic teams, and private office space for coaches and training staff.

MINNESOTA
The 96,000 square foot facility is part of an “Athlete’s Village” that the Gophers have constructed for all student-athletes on campus.

NEBRASKA
The facility will house the football workout facility and practice fields, but its nutrition and recovery centers will serve all Nebraska student athletes.

NORTHWESTERN
It is shared between multiple athletic teams on the Wildcats campus, but it is designed for football.
That’s old. Maryland just built a brand new football only facility. Now it has other things attached but football is separate. Nebraska still has football only facilities. Notice Iowa has everything football related but “some” shared features. IU is just shared and it sucks.

Reactions: vesuvius13
That’s old. Maryland just built a brand new football only facility. Now it has other things attached but football is separate. Nebraska still has football only facilities. Notice Iowa has everything football related but “some” shared features. IU is just shared and it sucks.

Ate up all the good parking in Minny

No it was Ratio Architects was the primary architect firm for the building with Weddle Brothers Construction Company building it.

I’m not in this fight, I just like the topic.

The never ending facilities arms race stinks, this stuff isn’t really needed, but it seems to matter to players, and probably some to schools big ole egos. We are stuck competing in this world.

IU athletics drives me nuts, but their athletic facility progress seems reasonably good, though of course what matters is how we compare to rest of the conference, and I don’t have a perfect view of that.

A nice big fieldhouse style football indoor practice facility would look very nice where Mellencamp is, or right next to it we have lots of room. Add the usual limestone bits at the base and entrances and that would look great and match Memorial Stadium’s excellent north end zone architecture (the campus theme).

Again, I don’t know, but football is the king for revenue and I think we have to keep pushing to be a mid-tier program that won’t be left out of the future TV deals. Part of that is over the top facilities it seems.

I’m not in this fight, I just like the topic.

The never ending facilities arms race stinks, this stuff isn’t really needed, but it seems to matter to players, and probably some to schools big ole egos. We are stuck competing in this world.

IU athletics drives me nuts, but their athletic facility progress seems reasonably good, though of course what matters is how we compare to rest of the conference, and I don’t have a perfect view of that.

A nice big fieldhouse style football indoor practice facility would look very nice where Mellencamp is, or right next to it we have lots of room. Add the usual limestone bits at the base and entrances and that would look great and match Memorial Stadium’s excellent north end zone architecture (the campus theme).

Again, I don’t know, but football is the king for revenue and I think we have to keep pushing to be a mid-tier program that won’t be left out of the future TV deals. Part of that is over the top facilities it seems.
All that is needed is a football only facility and that won’t leave out the other sports as they continue to use the other facilities. Bathroom and concession/food courts upgrades in the stadium. Maybe seating too.

If a new indoor facility helps attract a couple 4-star prospects every year and Cig gets us to a halfway decent bowl game (with all those extra practices), I’m all for it. Like it or hate it, we’re in the biggest conference in the country. Probably the richest one too.

A senior manager in the world of marketing once told me “appearances are everything.” Never a truer word has been spoken when it comes to attracting top-level talent.

If a new indoor facility helps attract a couple 4-star prospects every year and Cig gets us to a halfway decent bowl game (with all those extra practices), I’m all for it. Like it or hate it, we’re in the biggest conference in the country. Probably the richest one too.

A senior manager in the world of marketing once told me “appearances are everything.” Never a truer word has been spoken when it comes to attracting top-level talent.
I heard that same pearl of wisdom in utterance from a stud tennis player in the world of sports… “Image is everything” ~ Andre Agassi, spokesperson for Canon’s new EOS Rebel camera.

Literally the only issue people have noted about it is the roof height. Which impacts our ability to run fast, block, tackle and execute strategy.

A few people heard that we needed a new indoor facility....they didn't know why, but then ran with it as some huge example of IU not being committed to football. It's fine. It's nothing glorious or fantastic. The team hardly ever uses it to begin with, it gets a lot more use by other sports. It's just something else for people to bitch about.

Thank you for posting this! Matt Weaver began beating this drum along with the shared weight room years ago, and people have mindlessly been repeating it ever since. The indoor facility in not an essential facility at all. It is mainly used for winter conditioning, bowl practice and rare severe weather situations during the season and spring ball. But football is played outdoors, and the preference for the vast majority of coaches is to work outside whenever possible.

Of the things that have plagued IU football over the years, the inadequacy of the indoor facility ranks somewhere in the 100s.

Don't get me started on the division of the weight room. Segmenting a world class weight room just so the guys won't be distracted by volleyball players is idiotic. I'm hoping Cig agrees and reverses the project.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this! Matt Weaver began beating this drum along with the shared weight room years ago, and people have mindlessly been repeating it ever since. The indoor facility in not an essential facility at all. It is mainly used for winter conditioning, bowl practice and rare severe weather situations during the season and spring ball. But football is played outdoors, and the preference for the vast majority of coaches is to work outside whenever possible.

Of the things that have plagued IU football over the years, the inadequacy of the indoor facility ranks somewhere in the 100s.

Don't get me started on the division of the weight room. Segmenting a world class weight room just so the guys won't be distracted by volleyball players is idiotic. I'm hoping Cig agrees and reverses the project.
Thanks. I’m a total outsider to what the football program needs and it’s very hard to figure it out and understand it with all the conflicting info.

Thanks. I’m a total outsider to what the football program needs and it’s very hard to figure it out and understand it with all the conflicting info.
Don’t fall for that crap. Every football program worth a crap is getting or has seperated football weight rooms. Usually in its practice facility. This is why BS arguments have conditioned insiders that we don’t need these things to compete. Well that’s horseshit and why IU will never be close. Embrace mediocrity. Don’t get me wrong the same has happened to me on the basketball side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT