ADVERTISEMENT

McCullough going to Notre Dame

From a "running backs coach" perspective, he's a top tier coach, but clearly he was not given enough power at IU to make a substantial difference in the colossal disaster Indiana calls an offense. Running Backs Coach is perhaps the least important positions coach and it showed last year because Deland is a great coach, but the offense was still awful. I really don't think our running back production will be affected by the move considering how little our running backs did this year.

My frustration stems from the underlying issues here. I firmly believe that if Deland had been offered to interview for the ND job last summer, he would've turned it down. All three of his kids are committed to/at Indiana, and he still didn't believe it was worth tarnishing his reputation on a sinking ship. Imo Tom Allen needed to give Deland more power, Deland came back to Indiana for the Associate Head Coach role, not just because he wants to leave a Super Bowl Winning NFL Franchise to to coach running backs at a subpar Power Five school. Seems like Tom gave him the position out of obligation and didn't give him any actual decision making power.

The Walt Bell hire has Tom Allen written all over it, and even though it's speculation, it seems Deland did not approve of Tom's unwillingness to get rid of Hiller. At that point, if you're offered the same role at a stronger program, you might as well take it. The only reason it surprises me is because of how much his kids are tied to the IUFB program.
Exactly, and your last sentence should make anyone take pause, he didn’t leave because “it’s ND”.

From a "running backs coach" perspective, he's a top tier coach, but clearly he was not given enough power at IU to make a substantial difference in the colossal disaster Indiana calls an offense. Running Backs Coach is perhaps the least important positions coach and it showed last year because Deland is a great coach, but the offense was still awful. I really don't think our running back production will be affected by the move considering how little our running backs did this year.

My frustration stems from the underlying issues here. I firmly believe that if Deland had been offered to interview for the ND job last summer, he would've turned it down. All three of his kids are committed to/at Indiana, and he still didn't believe it was worth tarnishing his reputation on a sinking ship. Imo Tom Allen needed to give Deland more power, Deland came back to Indiana for the Associate Head Coach role, not just because he wants to leave a Super Bowl Winning NFL Franchise to to coach running backs at a subpar Power Five school. Seems like Tom gave him the position out of obligation and didn't give him any actual decision making power.

The Walt Bell hire has Tom Allen written all over it, and even though it's speculation, it seems Deland did not approve of Tom's unwillingness to get rid of Hiller. At that point, if you're offered the same role at a stronger program, you might as well take it. The only reason it surprises me is because of how much his kids are tied to the IUFB program.
The AHC role doesn't grant him the power to make coaching termination decisions. It should get your opinions heard, but the HC is on the hook for whatever hire/fire decisions are to be made, so final decision is up to the HC. Don't think we know what other power or decisions that DMc made as AHC. While everyone can agree that the OL is a major issue, we don't know how it will play out next year. Definitely, not a good position to be in losing DMc (and possibly his sons), but need to move forward and look for another great RB coach that can keep the RB recruiting momentum going like we did this year.

Reactions: red hornet
The AHC role doesn't grant him the power to make coaching termination decisions. It should get your opinions heard, but the HC is on the hook for whatever hire/fire decisions are to be made, so final decision is up to the HC. Don't think we know what other power or decisions that DMc made as AHC. While everyone can agree that the OL is a major issue, we don't know how it will play out next year. Definitely, not a good position to be in losing DMc (and possibly his sons), but need to move forward and look for another great RB coach that can keep the RB recruiting momentum going like we did this year.
I wonder if he was pushing for a Greg Frey reunion and was told no...

The offensive line has an establishd track record of an inability to dominate the line of scrimmage. The quarterback left. Running backs left. The running back coach left. And then the next running back coach left even though his kids were on the team.

CTA’s said that he could not do his job is a Head coach and still coach the defense. And now he has regressed to coaching the defense. A blind man can see that Hiller is a disaster as edit: offensive line coach and yet we will regress there again. This is so frustrating.

Last edited:
The offensive line haso an establishd track record of an inability to dominate the line of scrimmage. The quarterback left. Running backs left. The running back coach left. And then the next running back coach left even though his kids were on the team.

CTA’s said that he could not do his job is a Head coach and still coach the defense. And now he has regressed to coaching the defense. A blind man can see that Hiller is a disaster as offensive coordinator and yet we will regress there again. This is so frustrating.
Hiller is not the offensive coordinator, and Allen not feeling he was adequately able to do something three or four years ago when he had no HC experience doesn't mean he's incapable of doing so now.

TA is creating his own demise with his insistence on keeping Hiller. A really good off-season recruiting wise has turned sour because of this. I hate that it is true but I believe johnnsyRick and whatever source they have.
The only person connected with IU that doesn't think Hiller should be s***canned is Allen: I don't get it. If I was McCullough, last year would be more than enough for me to pack my bags and look for greener pastures. A RB coach literally cannot do their job if the O-Line coach sucks. I'd much rather have a new O-Line coach that doesn't suck + McCullough than Hiller: WTF.

Reactions: vesuvius13
BTW do you know Hiller made $550k LAST year for a piss poor result
Just when I thought I couldn’t be any more disgusted with this situation, you had to go and post Hiller’s salary!

Seriously though, for CTA to give Hiller a two year deal at a half million per year is just gross incompetence. CTA knew the oline wasn’t good in 2020 - he even mentioned many times in the off season that the oline was an area of focus. So how can he back the program into a corner by giving him a two year deal at that type of money?!? It is just a horrendous decision that could ultimately mark the beginning of the end of his HC career.

Just when I thought I couldn’t be any more disgusted with this situation, you had to go and post Hiller’s salary!

Seriously though, for CTA to give Hiller a two year deal at a half million per year is just gross incompetence. CTA knew the oline wasn’t good in 2020 - he even mentioned many times in the off season that the oline was an area of focus. So how can he back the program into a corner by giving him a two year deal at that type of money?!? It is just a horrendous decision that could ultimately mark the beginning of the end of his HC career.

Hiller's got to be the most overpaid person in the entire world in any profession relative to performance. Disgraceful.

Fyi, he also gave Sheridan a raise and guarantee after the 2020 offensive regression! I'm assuming that's why the admin made Allen eat some of that $. Mindboggling decisions.

Hiller's got to be the most overpaid person in the entire world in any profession relative to performance. Disgraceful.

Fyi, he also gave Sheridan a raise and guarantee after the 2020 offensive regression! I'm assuming that's why the admin made Allen eat some of that $. Mindboggling decisions.
The Sheridan point is 100% hindsight was talking. Nobody was bitching about Sheridan or thought we shouldn't be trying to keep him when we were in the top 10 in 2020, and I guarantee that includes you.

The Sheridan point is 100% hindsight was talking. Nobody was bitching about Sheridan or thought we shouldn't be trying to keep him when we were in the top 10 in 2020, and I guarantee that includes you.

It does not include me. Feel free to search the board. Numerous posters commented on the deterioration in various metrics of the offense as compared to DeBoer. The O took a huge step back in 2020.

The offensive line haso an establishd track record of an inability to dominate the line of scrimmage. The quarterback left. Running backs left. The running back coach left. And then the next running back coach left even though his kids were on the team.

CTA’s said that he could not do his job is a Head coach and still coach the defense. And now he has regressed to coaching the defense. A blind man can see that Hiller is a disaster as edit: offensive line coach and yet we will regress there again. This is so frustrating.
CTA doesn’t learn much at all from experience.

This is not true. There were people, including myself, that expressed concern about the offense. Nobody was calling for Sheridan’s head, but I definitely wouldnt have given him (or Hiller) a 2 year deal.

That secondary title only goes so far. The OC position opened up and instead of filling it with that secondary positioned coach who is already on staff, CTA went external with the hire. I am not saying CTA was right or wrong as that answer will come in the future but I imagine people on this board would've blown their lid if DMc was announced as the OC to replace Sheridan.

Regardless, that move could speak volumes to other schools which is why DMc likely felt the need to get to a big program that offered him a different opportunity in his road towards a larger role.

In the end, yes he was a good RB recruiter for us and his son is a really good football player. But to make this out to be utterly horrific as people are acting is ridiculous. Way overblown. IU has the #13 recruiting class right now and losing one is not going to result in the class falling out of the top 20. People need to calm down

Tell me you are new to this board without telling me you are new to this board.

You're an idiot whose opinions no one values. Just thought I should speak up for the majority.
I value his opinion. It is a good indicator for me.

He called me a "seriously dumb human being" today. I look at him the same way I do our old pal Ordfan...when he lashes out I must be on the right side of things.

Helpful feedback as I see it.

He called me a "seriously dumb human being" today. I look at him the same way I do our old pal Ordfan...when he lashes out I must be on the right side of things.

Understandable. I look at her as just a waste of space.

Hear? How about read? Maryland’s offense sucked. FSU was worse. Let’s not act like he was OC for Bobby Bowden or Jimbo. It was Willie T. I still don’t understand why Frye wasn’t hired for both jobs. Let’s go sunshine pumpers!!! Let’s hear you!!
Well Maryland was on about their fourth string quarterback while he was there. And Florida State had probably one of the worst high school quarterbacks I have ever coached against. His high school coach was also a guy who I worked for and he had absolutely nothing positive to say about the guy. Also Jimbo did not leave a full cupboard. His last couple of years in Tallahassee they had abysmal offensive lines and even now are still recovering. They still are not very good. Hell i dont know if Bell can coach and you dont either. So how about you sit back and watch and support the team until he proves one way or another.

Understandable. I look at her as just a waste of space.
Did you just call me a girl? lol. My boss is a female and is awesome who has my total respect. I trained mma/bjj/muay thai/boxing for over a decade and the women who trained there were tough as hell. So, if you were trying to offend me you failed.

Lastly, when I read that I just envisioned a bitter 70+ year old who smells of stale urine. Such a clown.

Well Maryland was on about their fourth string quarterback while he was there. And Florida State had probably one of the worst high school quarterbacks I have ever coached against. His high school coach was also a guy who I worked for and he had absolutely nothing positive to say about the guy. Also Jimbo did not leave a full cupboard. His last couple of years in Tallahassee they had abysmal offensive lines and even now are still recovering. They still are not very good. Hell i dont know if Bell can coach and you dont either. So how about you sit back and watch and support the team until he proves one way or another.
Florida State had the worst high school quarterback you have ever coached against? lol... ok.

That's what I love about myself. Always being a net positive in someone's life.

Did you just call me a girl? lol. My boss is a female and is awesome who has my total respect. I trained mma/bjj/muay thai/boxing for over a decade and the women who trained there were tough as hell. So, if you were trying to offend me you failed.

Lastly, when I read that I just envisioned a bitter 70+ year old who smells of stale urine. Such a clown.
No need for me to try to offend you, you can do that all on your own. Color me not surprised you trained BJ

Exactly.
ND didn’t even offer two of the three sons & has much higher ranked players at their positions.
ND just loves him as a coach & recruiter.
The DB coach from DeSmst, who had multiple 5 Star players, Steeples, interviewed at ND for a position & ND chose someone else. Now he is at LSU and ND is still recruiting his former players.
You can’t make big hiring decisions based off of a recruit.
McCullough will stay a max of 2 seasons at ND. He’s a mover. He’s not committed to anybody but himself. His goal is to be your OC. If that doesn’t happen, he’s out.

McCullough will stay a max of 2 seasons at ND. He’s a mover. He’s not committed to anybody but himself. His goal is to be your OC. If that doesn’t happen, he’s out.
He's really not a mover any more than any other coach in CFB, his first stint at IU is as long as most assistants ever stay with the same role at a P5 team, either because they get fired or they get a better job. Brandon Shelby is a rare case of someone who generally does a very good job and is still in the same role 10 years later(and even he now has the title of assistant head coach).

As far as him wanting to be OC or he's out, that's really not true either. If he wanted to be OC so badly, CTA would've promoted him in a heartbeat. He doesn't have any experience calling plays and he's not going to try and get into that this late in his career. DMC's goal is to eventually become an HC, while I don't think being running backs coach at ND inherently is a huge upgrade when you consider his end goal, when you consider the offense he is would've been playing with next year, I don't blame him for leaving. The only baffling part about it is the fact that his family is so tied to IUFB.

If he wanted to be OC so badly, CTA would've promoted him in a heartbeat. He doesn't have any experience calling plays and he's not going to try and get into that this late in his career. DMC's goal is to eventually become an HC,

How can you know that CTA would have promoted him?

Has DMC publicly stated his career goals?

How can you know that CTA would have promoted him?

Has DMC publicly stated his career goals?
Isn't that the reason you go into a career to better yourself and climb up the ladder.

Here is whats depressing...We had an absolute sh!t year and had it not been for people leaving Allen would have made 1 move??? Thats it?

Looking back at 2020 I'm throwing the whole farce out the window. COVID f*cked up everything and away games were not away games just exhibition scrimmages IMO. The whole thing was a mess.

Turn to 2021 and reality hits. Now what...

I'm completely in the car that says you have to prove yourself all over again Tom Allen or hit the door. We have another 2021 type season and Dolson better have a list ready to speed dial.

Isn't that the reason you go into a career to better yourself and climb up the ladder.

Here is whats depressing...We had an absolute sh!t year and had it not been for people leaving Allen would have made 1 move??? Thats it?

Looking back at 2020 I'm throwing the whole farce out the window. COVID f*cked up everything and away games were not away games just exhibition scrimmages IMO. The whole thing was a mess.

Turn to 2021 and reality hits. Now what...

I'm completely in the car that says you have to prove yourself all over again Tom Allen or hit the door. We have another 2021 type season and Dolson better have a list ready to speed dial.

Or 2021 was the farce and we get back to reality...

We went from win totals of 5, 5, 8, and 6 of a shortened season. Then last year happened. There's lots of reasons why, but 2 wins to me is not the norm when you look at his previous years.

And he's not going anywhere next year either. We don't have money to buy out his contract so he's get another 2-3 years. That's the luxury of going to 2 January bowls at a school like Indiana. When you get a new contract, you get a big buyout to protect yourself.

That's business.

Or 2021 was the farce and we get back to reality...

We went from win totals of 5, 5, 8, and 6 of a shortened season. Then last year happened. There's lots of reasons why, but 2 wins to me is not the norm when you look at his previous years.

And he's not going anywhere next year either. We don't have money to buy out his contract so he's get another 2-3 years. That's the luxury of going to 2 January bowls at a school like Indiana. When you get a new contract, you get a big buyout to protect yourself.

That's business.
Idk about the money. I'm sure there are people Dolson could spot up. Judging from his track record he prolly has things in motion already. The money was spent on some damn nice stuff so it's time for an ROI. If Allen craps the bed nothing would exite this fan base more than a sexy hire to fill the seats. After that Cincy game the attendance and buzz kinda left the building. Not only did we lose that day the concessions were whacked to hell and back.

Idk about the money. I'm sure there are people Dolson could spot up. Judging from his track record he prolly has things in motion already. The money was spent on some damn nice stuff so it's time for an ROI. If Allen craps the bed nothing would exite this fan base more than a sexy hire to fill the seats. After that Cincy game the attendance and buzz kinda left the building. Not only did we lose that day the concessions were whacked to hell and back.

Allen has something like the 4th highest buyout in the nation.

He's not going anywhere for awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT