ADVERTISEMENT

Maine Mass shooting: 18 dead so far and 60+ shot

A high rate of arrests and convictions is a deterrent. Of course we also have to get rid of that no-cash bail problem.
I don't understand why this bail thing is difficult. If the complaint is that rich people get out on bail while poor people don't, and that's somehow not fair, then just don't release people. You get charged with a violent crime, and you're stuck behind bars until the trial, no matter what. Problem solved.

I don't understand why this bail thing is difficult. If the complaint is that rich people get out on bail while poor people don't, and that's somehow not fair, then just don't release people. You get charged with a violent crime, and you're stuck behind bars until the trial, no matter what. Problem solved.
Perpetrators of violent crime are not evenly distributed across all races, ages, and income levels. Neither are the victims evenly distributed.

I get the discrimination argument, but that isn’t how the argument plays out in the real world. Violent crime with no immediate consequences has consequences.

Perpetrators of violent crime are not evenly distributed across all races, ages, and income levels. Neither are the victims evenly distributed.

I get the discrimination argument, but that isn’t how the argument plays out in the real world. Violent crime with no immediate consequences has consequences.
So what? Our prisons already aren't representative of society at large. It's not like we do away with bail, and all of a sudden now the prison population is too black.

Distribution of perpetrators...discrimination...I'm saying so what to all that. Maybe I misunderstood your point.
You brought up rich/poor. Often that means white/black. The point is cash bail serves a purpose.A Catch and release no cash bail system is leading to more crime. That isn’t good for preps or victims.

yes, your data base wouldn't work without a registry.

The data would be tied to a serial number which would only be accessed as needed if that gun was used in a crime. I don’t consider that a registry, but I guess some would think so.

The data would be tied to a serial number which would only be accessed as needed if that gun was used in a crime. I don’t consider that a registry, but I guess some would think so.

why wouldn't you consider a gun registry a gun registry? I think it's because of how you identify politically but let's hear it...

Tying a ballistics fingerprint to a gun doesn't help if you don't tie the gun to a person.

Reactions: manichi
why wouldn't you consider a gun registry a gun registry? I think it's because of how you identify politically but let's hear it...
The threshold injury would be limited to ballistics data, not a name. But I agree, the system could be corrupted as you say.

The threshold injury would be limited to ballistics data, not a name. But I agree, the system could be corrupted as you say.
Why is it corrupted? The state knows what car I own--I have to register it every year.

What makes the gun different?

Why is it corrupted? The state knows what car I own--I have to register it every year.

What makes the gun different?
You don’t have to register a car every year. You only register it if you use it on public roads. There are several reasons for that that don't apply to guns, such as faxes and traffic control and enforcement,

In those states where you don’t need a permit to carry, I don’t know what purpose registration serves.

You don’t have to register a car every year. You only register it if you use it on public roads. There are several reasons for that that don't apply to guns, such as faxes and traffic control and enforcement,

In those states where you don’t need a permit to carry, I don’t know what purpose registration serves.
I've never lived anywhere where I would be driving a car on a non public road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT